dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 and beyond Washington Redskins Thread

2,617 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2017 at 7:51 PM, fatness said:

Bottom line;  too much fumbling will end your career as a RB...as it probably should.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, MikeApf said:
On 5/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, fatness said:

DFA signings, including Fish Smithson

Maybe best NFL name out there...

Yeah, that's a good one. My alltime favorite is Elvis Peacock, but Fish Smithson is pretty good.

1 hour ago, MikeApf said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/09/scot-mccloughan-it-was-a-marriage-that-didnt-work/

Either Scot is an extremely forgiving guy or he got paid to play nice through this "divorce."

I think it's the latter. When he got canned there was talk of a settlement being worked out between his agent and the Skins. While I can see Snyder not wanting to pay him and using misconduct as the reason, I can also see Scot taking that to court and both sides ending up looking uglier. They probably settled on a halfway amount. McCloughan wants to keep working and Snyder doesn't want bad press.

(Thought bold parts of article below were interesting)

Scot McCloughan hints at one possible hold up in Kirk Cousins contract talks

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/scot-mccloughan-hints-one-possible-hold-kirk-cousins-contract-talks?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Scot McCloughan spoke at length for the first time since his departure from the Redskins, joining 106.7 the Fan's Grant and Danny show, and in the process perhaps shed some light on the ongoing contract talks between the organization and Kirk Cousins. 

The situation with Washington and Cousins is well known: The team has placed the franchise tag on their passer for a second straight season. Long-term contract talks seem largely stalled, as team and player have not come particularly close on a multi-year value.

McCloughan explained that the team and coaches all like Cousins, and there isn't a question of talent. The odd part in his comments came when the former 'Skins GM talked about Cousins' agent, Mike McCartney.

"[Cousins is] going to make a lot of money this year and he's earned it for what he's done the last two years. It's a big business," McCloughan said (click here for full audio). "The agent's got to be understandable that they're involved in it too. It's not just us and the player, the agent has to be able to understand, well ok, 'I can make this, if you don't tender him, I can make this for the next five years for him.' It just didn't work out."

Hearing McCloughan specifically invoke the agent carries some weight. Remember during the 2016 negotiations reports showed that communication between the team and Cousins' representatives had completely broken down in spots. Earlier this year, speaking during the NFL Combine, McCartney said he was working hard to maintain a positive dialogue with the Redskins.

To be clear, an agent's job is to maximize money for their clients. NFL management doesn't always appreciate that approach, but it doesn't mean an agent is doing anything wrong. 

It's also logical to infer that the Redskins organization does not agree with the premise that the franchise tag should set the annual salary value for a long-term Cousins deal. Cousins' representatives would obviously feel the opposite. Not to suggest one side is right or wrong, but the reported offers from the 'Skins to Cousins have not approached the full franchise tag dollar figure in average annual value. 

McCloughan did not waiver, however, on his assesment of Cousins as QB. 

"I hope they do get a long-term deal done because I'm telling you he's high character, he's a good football player, he's smart, he's a good teammate, he's got leadership qualities," McCloughan said. "I've been around Brett Favres, I've been around Russell Wilsons, I've been around Matt Hasselbecks. Those are the characteristics that stand out, becuase you know he's got talent. He's got arm talent and you know he can move around and make plays with his feet."

Of the lack of a multi-year contract, McCloughan didn't take the blame, but he didn't pass it off either.

"It's too bad it didn't happen but that was an organizational thing."

Previously, McCloughan has said that teams need to be wary of overpaying at quarterback, and he didn't back off that notion either.

"The market is so high," he said. "If you're overpaying the quarterback, you're going to lose an offensive lineman, you're going to lose a defensive lineman, you're going to lose a corner."

In the end, McCloughan seemed resigned to the same belief that many Redskins fans have of their quarterback.

"He's going to be successful, here or somewhere else."

1 person likes this

Rookies signed so far

Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson, Samaje Perine, Montae Nicholson, Jeremy Sprinkle, Chase Roullier, Robert Davis, Josh Harvey Clemons, and Joshua Holsey.

Rookies not signed so far

Fabian Moreau (expected to sign soon)

:thumbup:

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, fatness said:

Rejected trade for the 17th pick (no, Cousins not involved). Seems like they turned down a crap offer.

Given the scenario and who was still on the board at that time, I agree that it was a crap offer.  I get the sense that Lynch and Shanahan really do think they are "the smartest guys in the room" and I can just see them giggling and laughing about how they would fleece the Redskins.  I'm (not so) secretly hoping that Mitch Trubiski turns out to be a stud QB this year so I can stop hearing about how brilliant John Lynch was at the draft.  Sorry, "rant off" now...

2 people like this

200 lbs??? There's simply no way someone can play LB in the NFL at that weight.

Posted (edited)

Yeah,don't let him around Trent Williams (wink, wink)

I'm pulling for the guy.  Remember also that Rohan Marley was a standout football player for the University of Miami, though I don't think he made it in the NFL.  And apparently Bob played "the other football" pretty well.  Athletic family...

ETA:  Just read whole article..didn't know that Rohan was Nico's dad...cool...

Edited by MikeApf
2 people like this

Greg (one 'g') Manusky seems a bit strange.

That'll be cool if the defense is good. But if they suck it'll be Zornish.

1 person likes this

Matt Jones is not at OTA's. Reports I've read/heard differ on whether he wasn't invited or he chose not to go. Not that it makes any difference, rally. He's not in their plans; when they tried to trade him during the draft there were no takers.

That should have cut him by now. Do the guy the solid. He's not making the roster.

13 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

That should have cut him by now. Do the guy the solid. He's not making the roster.

If they give him his release he'll drop it.