dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 and beyond Washington Redskins Thread

2,969 posts in this topic

Ryan Kerrigan is always a hero.

Samaje Perine will be my hero if, in "Fat Rob"'s absence, he takes the starting RB gig and never looks back. The only thing I crave more than dominance in the trenches, is a more dynamic starting RB, and not a miscast role-player. How I wish, wish, wish Thompson was more durable.

Critical win my any measure. Mandatory win, in the sense that the Rams are still firmly in the 25-32 range of NFL Teams. Simply not acceptable to come out of that game with an L. Not a pretty win, not at all. Even when they were running the ball, and running it well, it didn't feel like there was any 'flow' to the offense. Had to have this one to have even one remaining shred of optimism about 2017. Especially since we're headed into what's analagous to a 'perfect storm' scenario for the current iteration of the Redskins: 1) an upper-tier opponent, 2) home game, 3) night-time, prime-time...sure would like to get that monkey off our collective backs.

If we were a better team, playing better football, this schedule actually plays in our favor: quality Teams prefer prime-time home games vs superior opponents (SNF, Raiders), getting an extra day to prepare and playing in prime-time is about the best scenario you could ask having to travel (MNF, @ Chiefs), then a week off, followed by a home game v the hapless 49'ers (1pm west coast team traveling east), followed by a prime-time MNF rematch @ (one of the shortest road trips in football) the team you embarrassed yourselves dropping the home opener to.

A better team, playing better football, would be looking at a plausible 5-1 storyline, going into a late start Sunday home tilt vs the hated Cowboys. It couldn't be set up any better...

...for a better team, playing better football...

1 person likes this

It was nice to get a win, but I can't believe how many rabbits we pulled from hats on 3rd and long.  We need to stop being in 3rd and long so much.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Sebowski said:

I meant me! :lol:

I was preetty drunk....

I was so drunk I forgot you.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, VaTerp said:

Can we update the thread title to 2017 please?

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 AND BEYOND Washington Redskins Thread

1 person likes this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/09/18/kirk-cousins-was-scared-to-death-hed-tip-off-receivers-routes-to-sean-mcvay/?utm_term=.d418a27e4de5

Grant Paulsen asked Cousins about his conversation with Redskins Coach Jay Gruden on the sidelines after his incompletion on a fade to Josh Docston — and an incompletion to Chris Thompson on the next play — forced the Redskins to settle for a field goal in the second quarter.

“The coaching point there is, if you take a three-step drop, you buy a little bit of time, allow Josh to close the cushion on the defensive back, and then now really make it a true jump ball where Josh is already in the end zone waiting for the ball before it’s even left my hand,” Cousins said. “What I did was I really took a one-step drop, and while Josh was still closing the cushion on the [defensive back], the ball was already up in the air. He would have to be running to it as opposed to waiting for it and jumping up for it. So Jay’s point was really, the play was there, we got a great matchup, we really have a mismatch there for a fade, and we’ve got to give him an opportunity. When you throw the ball the way you did, you kind of doom the play from the start. Josh doesn’t even have an opportunity to go show what he can do. The coaching point there was set your feet, take three steps, buy some time and put it up. That’s where we’ve got to go back and talk about how we want to throw fades, and the details there, because each guy we throw a fade to wants it a little differently, and each DB technique that we go against changes it, and then what yard line we’re on changes it. That’s where we’ve got to establish some rules down there to be able to play with.”

---

How about, just don't throw the fade, guys. 

2 people like this

Any word on the injured?  Kelley, Reed, Norman, Nicholson...who am I forgetting?

Edited by MikeApf

On 5/4/2017 at 1:01 PM, dgreen said:

I finally got around to watching this a couple days ago. I highly recommend it, especially if you were a fan back then. Was fun to relive it and learn more- I was 14 at the time so I didn't follow closely enough back then to pick up on the details. For example I didn't know Gibbs told the players that they couldn't break the picket line on their own; they had to either end the strike as a team or stay on strike as a team. It was also nice to remember a time when the Skins were one the NFL's "good guys." at least more so than they are now, and had a way of unifying the whole DMV that's probably gone for good.

You've probably heard, but the ultimate message is that the guys from that 3-0 team deserve rings. Seems like a no-brainer PR coup for Snyder, will be interesting to see how he botches it.