What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

I don't like our options at RB. At all. Hoped to be proven wrong there. Cousins still has a lot to prove. I'm not counting on him being great or terrible. I just have no idea. I think the defense will be pretty damn good though, and I love our pass catchers. So I basically have nothing to add. 6-10 wouldn't surprise me. 10-6 wouldn't surprise me. It's all up to Cousins. I'm eager to find out either way. We may have our guy, or we may be back to the drawing board. We are about to find out. :popcorn:  

dgreen said:
Back in the day, we'd hit 16 page by April.

I removed the word "Offseason". This thread is now for the entire season...all the way to the Super Bowl!!!!!
Add "Undefeated" to the title and we're good. At least until Monday.

dgreen said:
Back in the day, we'd hit 16 page by April.

I removed the word "Offseason". This thread is now for the entire season...all the way to the Super Bowl!!!!!
There used to be so much turmoil and drama in Washington too.  The stability of McCloughan is really starting to cost The Redskins their perennial Off-Season Champs title. 

There used to be so much turmoil and drama in Washington too.  The stability of McCloughan is really starting to cost The Redskins their perennial Off-Season Champs title. 
That has moved to the Eagles because:

1) Roseman loves to make big deals

2) Eagles fans love to argue over who is better, Bradford or Foles (or even Sanchez).

3) Other teams fans love to troll Eagles fans.

Doctson is playing tonight. Kinda surprised by that. Figured he'd be inactive. Wonder how much playing time he sees?

Doctson is playing tonight. Kinda surprised by that. Figured he'd be inactive. Wonder how much playing time he sees?
Interesting. Grant going to sit or are they dressing 6? I'm assuming Ross plays for KR duties, although that's a pretty small part of the game.

Interesting. Grant going to sit or are they dressing 6? I'm assuming Ross plays for KR duties, although that's a pretty small part of the game.
I don't think they would go 6 WRs, would they? Although, on the Junks this morning, Tandler was saying he thought they were only going to dress 5 DL.

Recent history has me trying to go to sleep at a late hour (for me, anyway) while being pissed off. So glad it's an early kickoff, just in case things don't go well.

Am I really being pessimistic already?

fatness said:
Chris Cooley just rated the Redskins running game as equal to the Steelers running game, and Matt Jones as equal to DeAngelo Williams.

I just rated myself as equal to Brock Lesnar.
:lmao: :thumbup:

Recent history has me trying to go to sleep at a late hour (for me, anyway) while being pissed off. So glad it's an early kickoff, just in case things don't go well.

Am I really being pessimistic already?
i prefer to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised as opposed to the opposite. 

As much as I don't like looking backwards and as much as I do like Scotch, drafting Scherff over Leonard Williams was a terrible mistake.  I said it then and I feel even more that way now.

I have full confidence that Scherff will be a very very good player.  But its extremely rare that a guard is an impact player, which is what you should be getting with the #5 overall pick.

Leonard Williams had 2.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, and was disruptive all game yesterday.  We still lack a pass rush and can't stop teams from runnning down our throats. Terrible terrible decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
well at least they'll save money on paying Cousins. Run a zone on him and he can't beat it. He also seemed to have lost his balls somewhere in the offseason. 

Well that was....... bad.

I mean, you know your team is screwed when this happens during their best quarter of the game:

Your Team dominates the 1st quarter, won't go for it on 4th downs, and has 6 points.

Opponent is just hanging on in the 1st quarter, goes for it on 4th down, and has 7 points.

Then the defensive mind of Joe Barry takes over and the Opponent finds out hey, we can complete a lot of passes and run at will. And the offensive mind of Jay Gruden takes over, shelves the run, and has his QB throw repeatedly into 7 and 8 players in zone coverage. And the whole time Gruden is looking disgusted thinking "that play shoulda worked, I'll it again after I try that other one that didn't work again, they should work".

Our coaching staff was thoroughly beaten by the Steelers coaching staff.

John Keim thinks they'll go 9-7. http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26674/washington-redskins-will-compete-for-playoffs-nfc-east-title  He also thinks they'll beat the Steelers and I can't think of a worse matchup for them. I think the Steelers will run all over them all game, and stuff the Skins run all game. I could see them losing the game, even losing like 42-17 due to the run game disparities. I hope I'm wrong and you can mock me widely.
Wish I was getting mocked right now.

Good thing we erased Sammie Coates with Norman at least. That could have developed into something bad. 

What an ugly game. I'm not surprised the Steelers beat us, I'm surprised at how poorly we played.

The offense was pretty bad most of the night. Cousins looked like pre-2015 Cousins last night. I'm not sure if they thought Pittsburgh was going to be bringing constant pressure or not, but he seemed to be rushing his throws when he had plenty of time to survey the field. The perfect example was that 3rd down play when Pittsburgh dropped everyone back and instead of Cousins tucking and running, he just throws the ball out of the back of the end zone and we settle for 3. Matt Jones was wide open in the flat on that one too, but Cousins didn't even seem to look for him. What happened to Jordan Reed? Did Pittsburgh double him after the opening drive? He had 4 catches on the 1st drive and only had 3 more the rest of the game. He was uncoverable on the opening drive and then he just disappeared. Running game looks as bad as ever too. Not sure if its play calling, the RBs we have, or what. Why didn't Robert Kelley see the field last night?

As for the defense, well that was awful. I like Breeland a lot, but he couldn't have played any worse last night. I get that most CBs only play a half of the field, but after the way Brown was torching Breeland, there was no reason not to try and move Norman around and shadow Brown. I don't believe Brown had a catch when he was matched up against Norman last night. The run defense was putrid. DeAngelo Williams ran all over us and looked amazing. Would never know he's 33 years old.

Last night seemed like your typical Redskins game from the past 5-10 years: Offense can't take advantage of early chances, defense can't get off the field in key moments, we don't get a few breaks on turnovers, and we get embarrassed on national tv. Gotta get better next week or Elliott will win ROY just off this one game.

THE difference in the game was the pass rush. Steelers generated it sometimes only rushing 3 people, and the Redskins couldn't to save their life. And Ben is the type of QB that will make you pay for that. 

THE difference in the game was the pass rush. Steelers generated it sometimes only rushing 3 people, and the Redskins couldn't to save their life. And Ben is the type of QB that will make you pay for that. 
Yup, we can't get a pass rush unless it's from Kerrigan or Smith.

I blame gruden for a large part of this.  The penalties, the strategy, the execution.  Pittsburgh did look ferocious but we just looked bad out there. 

Cooley said Cousins was bad! We'll see how that translates to a grade once he watches film, though.

Cooley pointed out a play on the first drive where Cousins made an adjustment into a run play but directed Matt Jones to the wrong side, leading to a negative run play. I noticed a couple plays later in the game where Cousins seemed to fail to take advantage of some numbers in their favor. On one play, Washington had two receivers to the left with only one Pitt DB. The DB was even waiving at his teammates to try to get someone over there to help him. Cousins either didn't notice or didn't adjust and threw a pass to the right to Jackson. It resulted in a first down (after Jackson had to pick the ball off his shoes), but should have been a bigger gain. On another play, the Redskins had 3 TEs on the left, completing outnumbering the Pittsburgh's defense on that side. I was begging for a toss left, but the handoff went up the middle for almost no gain.

My problem with Cousins, still, is that he doesn't make anything special happen. He excels at repeatedly making the simple play, which is nice, but he needs to make more happen in order to take that next step. Along with a small sample size of success last season, I think that's the main reason Scot doesn't want to commit to him long term yet and works nicely with the rumors that they think they find someone else who does what Cousins does for less money.

Not sure about that. While I don't think the Redskins got to Ben enough, they did bother him a few times (even forcing a fumble). I'd be surprised if pressure stats were significantly in Pitts favor last night. As you say, Ben makes you pay. Cousins didn't. That, to me, was the difference. Two QBs on different levels. Oh, and a pretty big difference in the run games.

Users who are viewing this thread