What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (11 Viewers)

I’m bummed but not feeling hopeless as after the other defeats.  The team showed heart coming back against a good team.  For the first time, I thought our offense showed more promise, even before Smith went out.  

Trent will be back Thursday and Colt is a capable backup.  Vs Dallas is a must win game now, for the division lead..:

I feel awful for Smith, that really was a nasty injury, but starting to think Colt may take more shots downfield which is probably what the offense needs. Probably great news for Reed  owners too

hammerva said:
I can't wait to hear all week how this is the fans fault for not having faith on the team instead of looking in the mirror and realize how awful the offense is
I doubt you'll hear that. On TV the fans sounded louder than at any game this year. Seems like asking for more fan support worked.

They had no business being in that game if you ask me, yet they still hung in there despite everything and almost won. It's like they're unaware they have no business winning so they keep playing to win. I like that. This year's team is growing on me.

Change only one play in this game --- Smith's INT pick 6 --- and they win the game.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

The bad news the #Redskins were dreading: QB Alex Smith will have surgery right away on a broken tibia and fibula. A stellar season is over.

Sorry guys.

Bright side for you is IIRC, didn’t Colt mollywop my Cowboys the last time he started vs them? 

ETA- May have been the second to last game he played VS us. Point is he’s capable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Eagles/Saints thread, Cowboy fans are trash talking Eagles fans right now.

That's what this division has fallen to this year.

And we need to trade for a QB.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

More Josh Norman. This time on home crowd: "Wow. What an atmosphere, right? Thank you Redskins nation, you guys showed out in a big way. That was huge for us. Oh my goodness; applauded y'all for sure. That was big time."

DJ Swearinger‏Verified account @JungleBoi_Swagg

ShoutOut To The Skins Fans! Loud As I Ever Heard Y’all. Sorry We Couldn’t Get The W! We Will Continue Grinding. We Are On To Dallas!! #DivisionTime Who Got The Broom?

I seriously wonder if Quinn will become the leading receiver down the stretch. He looked very smooth catching the ball. And nice to see Reed get utilized. 

Cowboys as 8 point favorites this Thursday?  I can see being slight favorites at home but this feels like the pundits are leaving the Redskins for dead.  Hope our boys see this and get pissed off!

I seriously wonder if Quinn will become the leading receiver down the stretch. He looked very smooth catching the ball. And nice to see Reed get utilized. 
Who is the other guy, I want to say number 13? Harris? WR, light skinned, has light brown dred locks.... I’ve seen him make some good plays too. 

Who is the other guy, I want to say number 13? Harris? WR, light skinned, has light brown dred locks.... I’ve seen him make some good plays too. 
Yeah Harris is good.  Actually the Redskins have a few good young receivers in Quinn, Harris and Cam Sims (IR).  They need to jettison Doctson and sign a deep threat.  But Quinn and Harris are keepers

Sorry guys.

Bright side for you is IIRC, didn’t Colt mollywop my Cowboys the last time he started vs them? 

ETA- May have been the second to last game he played VS us. Point is he’s capable. 
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410270dal.htm

Then the next week, RG3 was back from injury and got the start against Minnesota.  Then two disastrous performances against TB and SF and Colt was back at starter for a few games until he got injured.

He did seem to get some separation, something that no other Redskin WR besides Richardson has been able to do this year. He looked the way Crowder was supposed to look.

Harris and Doctson don't seem to get much separation but they do catch contested balls pretty well, and they do block which we haven't seen WR's do much of in years.

My problem with Harris is he avoids contact at all costs. Maybe he has a history of concussions. If not, then I really wish he'd show a willingness to take on contact and gain some more yards. One play in particular several weeks ago, he could have easily picked up a first down but went to the ground to avoid contact just shy of the line to gain. Offense failed to eventually pick up the first down. I know a few other times I've seen him just fall to the ground when defenders are nearby when he could pick up another 5 yards.

The organization has made huge strides drafting all these defensive players and its paid off, but I really hope they do the same for the passing  game next year. It would be nice to have a STUD WR in a Redskins uniform. I can't remember the last time we've had one save Monk/Gary Clark/Saunders days...I mean Santana Moss and Coles had solid careers here but week in and week out, it seems forever since we've had a TD catching and chain moving stud in this offense. 

The organization has made huge strides drafting all these defensive players and its paid off, but I really hope they do the same for the passing  game next year. It would be nice to have a STUD WR in a Redskins uniform. I can't remember the last time we've had one save Monk/Gary Clark/Saunders days...I mean Santana Moss and Coles had solid careers here but week in and week out, it seems forever since we've had a TD catching and chain moving stud in this offense. 
Garcon was solid while he was here.  Id settle for that again tbh.  I think we have a nice blueprint.  If you have a strong D you dont need a top offense.  If we can maintain this defense and get better on offense then who knows what could happen. Hopefully Guice comes back healthy and is a stud. 

He did seem to get some separation, something that no other Redskin WR besides Richardson has been able to do this year. He looked the way Crowder was supposed to look.

Harris and Doctson don't seem to get much separation but they do catch contested balls pretty well, and they do block which we haven't seen WR's do much of in years.
Those were dark days...or at least darker than others. I dimly remember being quite incensed that they had won 2 straight, and only had the Vikings game to go before the bye, so why introduce Griffin back for a road game in a tough place to play, when resting him could have given them 2 weeks to get the entire team on the same page coming out of the bye vs the 1-win Bucs at home. Not only had Colt earned that start after a massive upset (I think that line closed at +9 or so) at Dallas, which would have sent a GREAT message to the Team, but I think it was obvious the Griffin wasn't quite ready to come back. IIRC, there was some discord in the locker room over that decision as well, and it didn't get any better after he underperformed coming out of the break. By the time they benched him, we'd gone from 3-5 to 3-8, en route to 4-12. Ultimately, we might not have done much better, but a Colt-led Team with some momentum behind it had a decent chance to enter the break 4-5, come out of it 5-5, and probably in a better place to wind up closer to .500 than ####ty 4-12. Ugh.

PS: I quoted the wrong post.

I don’t know what the Skins fan consesus is on Smith because I rarely go into team threads... Schefters latest tweet made it sound like his career might be done. Compound and spiral fracture, broke through the skin and both bones broken. Recovery is said to be “lengthy”.

I don’t know what the Skins fan consesus is on Smith because I rarely go into team threads... Schefters latest tweet made it sound like his career might be done. Compound and spiral fracture, broke through the skin and both bones broken. Recovery is said to be “lengthy”.
Wow. I thought Theisman was being overly dramatic when he immediately likened Smith’s injury to his own. Sounds like it might have been about the same. 

I was reading tweets soon after the injury saying that not only do the redskins need to find a backup QB for 2018, but they also need to start thinking about who will be the starting QB in 2019. So, I think it’s possible that Smith’s career is over and even more likely he will not play for Washington again. 

dgreen said:
My problem with Harris is he avoids contact at all costs. Maybe he has a history of concussions. If not, then I really wish he'd show a willingness to take on contact and gain some more yards. One play in particular several weeks ago, he could have easily picked up a first down but went to the ground to avoid contact just shy of the line to gain. Offense failed to eventually pick up the first down. I know a few other times I've seen him just fall to the ground when defenders are nearby when he could pick up another 5 yards.
I've noticed that about Harris also. And about Jordan Reed, who seems to have fallen in love with the sidelines lately. He just runs out of bounds rather than getting the last 1-4 yards out of a play.

I've noticed that about Harris also. And about Jordan Reed, who seems to have fallen in love with the sidelines lately. He just runs out of bounds rather than getting the last 1-4 yards out of a play.
Yeah, I’ve noticed with Reed, too. That’s why I mentioned that I’m not sure about Harris’ concussion history. Reed clearly has a history and I fully understand him not looking to take or deliver a hit. 

I can't believe they signed Sanchez. He's good for 3 turnovers a game. Might as well start Perine along with him, keep 11 offensive players active, and all the rest defensive players and special teamers because they opponents will have the ball all game.

Why don't they sign Nathan Peterman and Tim Tebow as well? Is Ryan Leaf out of rehab? They could sign him too.

And never considering Kaepernick. :wall:

Bojang0301 said:
That's the way it was talked about on morning sports radio --- as something that will keep him out a year at minimum, and may be career-ending.

Gruden said today it’s a 6-8 month recovery. I find it hard to believe Smith would be back by training camp next year. 

From another thread:

Redskins signed QB Mark Sanchez.

The NFL's "meritocracy" spins on. When last we heard of 32-year-old Sanchez, he was being slapped with a four-game PED ban in April. Now he will serve as Colt McCoy's backup in Washington. Sanchez has attempted just 109 passes since the end of the 2014 seasons. Teams have to start getting more imaginative at quarterback instead of recycling the same retreads over and over and over again.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 1:26 PM

Gruden says Smith will be out 6-8 months. Gruden also says there was nothing wrong with his clock management at the end of the game, so I'm not going to pay too much attention to what he's saying. Schefter doesn't set a timeframe but it sounds a bit longer.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Alex Smith suffered a compound fracture - meaning the bone broke through his skin, per source. Trauma surgeons discovered Smith suffered a spiral fracture in his leg - defined as a long bone broken by a rotational force. Smith, 34, faces a lengthy rehab process to try to return.

My gut instinct on this:  this injury effectively ends Smith’s career.  I like Smith, and I certainly want him to get better and also get the money he’s got coming to him...but he wasn’t thriving in this offense when healthy.  What about next year...a year older...rusty...and perhaps not as athletic, which was one of his advantages.  It just doesn’t make sense.  You wait on a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady...I don’t know if you wait on the Alex Smith we saw this year.  From a sheer football standpoint — forgetting about contracts—I think it would be good to draft a guy late first round, like Will Grier—and either play him or groom him behind McCoy.

But I also have wondering related to Smith and his contract.  Will the Redskins be inclined to stay with Smith simply because they are committed to paying him?  Alternatively, can they reach some kind of injury settlement that allows them to pay him what he’s owed without being strapped cap wise?  I also wonder if it’s gonna be one of those things where if Dan and Bruce wanted Smith, they’ll stick with him because they don’t want to admit they are wrong.  

So I dunno...but I do think whether he comes back next year or not, they definitely need to look QB in next years draft.  I think Grier might be had in late first round and think he might be good with Grudens style of play...

How much on the hook are the Redskins for Alex Smith?
He signed a 71 million guaranteed contract.  I think w the terms people were saying they could get out after the third year, 2020.

i wonder could they get out early with some kind of injury settlement?

they could draft a QB, and not spend much on Colt and the rookie for a few years until Smith s contract is up?

ETA

2019 cap hit 20 mill

2020 cap hit 21 mill 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

My gut instinct on this:  this injury effectively ends Smith’s career.  I like Smith, and I certainly want him to get better and also get the money he’s got coming to him...but he wasn’t thriving in this offense when healthy.  What about next year...a year older...rusty...and perhaps not as athletic, which was one of his advantages.  It just doesn’t make sense.  You wait on a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady...I don’t know if you wait on the Alex Smith we saw this year.  From a sheer football standpoint — forgetting about contracts—I think it would be good to draft a guy late first round, like Will Grier—and either play him or groom him behind McCoy.

But I also have wondering related to Smith and his contract.  Will the Redskins be inclined to stay with Smith simply because they are committed to paying him?  Alternatively, can they reach some kind of injury settlement that allows them to pay him what he’s owed without being strapped cap wise?  I also wonder if it’s gonna be one of those things where if Dan and Bruce wanted Smith, they’ll stick with him because they don’t want to admit they are wrong.  

So I dunno...but I do think whether he comes back next year or not, they definitely need to look QB in next years draft.  I think Grier might be had in late first round and think he might be good with Grudens style of play...
I was kind of hoping Smith could have at least been another Brunell and make a jump in the second year. Probably won’t get the chance now. 

I was kind of hoping Smith could have at least been another Brunell and make a jump in the second year. Probably won’t get the chance now. 
Yeah me too.  And, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because he doesn’t turn it over and that was allowing us to grind out wins.  I just don’t think at this age and the severity of the injury it’s likelu he returns to form soon enough to make it worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread