What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

In cas you haven't heard:

Redskins shake up business operations, ousting Brian Lafemina and three deputies

Lafemina becomes the second top Redskins executive ousted in the past 22 months. General manager Scot McCloughan was fired in March 2017, about two years into a four-year contract.
In some ways, Wednesday’s parting could have been anticipated from the moment Snyder pared back team President Bruce Allen’s duties to carve out a role for Lafemina. Like a monarch with two sons, Snyder in May gave Allen and Lafemina each half of the Redskins' fiefdom to rule, announcing that Allen would supervise the football side of the operation and Lafemina would supervise the business side. Each reported directly to Snyder. In the restructuring, Lafemina inherited some of Allen’s former terrain.

Patience has not been a hallmark of Snyder’s 19-year ownership. Nor has collegiality been a hallmark of Allen’s tenure, particularly when he perceives fellow executives as smart, self-directed and threats to his authority. Heading into Sunday’s season finale against Philadelphia, the Redskins have compiled a 59-83-1 record during Allen’s nine seasons in Washington.

The team has also failed to make the NFL playoffs for a fourth time in Jay Gruden’s five-year tenure.

I'm seeing that we pick 15th. Miami 13th. Only team that helped us this week was Carolina. They're 16th now after beating the Saints today. 

2019 Opponents

Home: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants / Patriots, Jets, Bears, Lions, 49'ers

Away: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants / Bills, Dolphins, Packers, Vikings, Panthers

Oh, boy...

2019 Opponents

Home: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants / Patriots, Jets, Bears, Lions, 49'ers

Away: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants / Bills, Dolphins, Packers, Vikings, Panthers

Oh, boy...
I see 3 "unwinnable no matter who we have on the roster" games, so that's not so bad.

Foles once almost retired and only didn’t because he was talked into coming into a favorable and comfortable situation (Andy Reid’s Chiefs). He doesn’t need the money — in addition to all he’s earned, his family owns a restaurant chain and is very wealthy — and is guided by his religious values much more than most players.

I don’t see him agreeing to walk into a situation as dysfunctional and venal as the Snyder/Allen Redskins, no matter how much they offer him. 

Radio personalities seem convinced that the offense is going to guide them to a 10-win or better season.  I'll go so far as to say they should be involved in a lot of close games, but I can't suss out whether or not I think they're going to be on the winning end of most of them yet. 

2-4 or 3-3 seems like the most likely division record.

A 2-0 start seems reasonable.  And just as likely, a 2-2 start also seems reasonable.

Next four games is Panthers and Cowboys at home (2-0 or 1-1) and then Giants away and Falcons at home (1-1 or 0-2).

Then the real bear of the schedule begins, they may only be the favorites in 1 of their last 8 games (Texans at home). 

With a strong start, 9-7 is obtainable, but it could very easily spiral out of control if they don't gobble up those available wins in the first half of the season.  And this team hasn't exactly been known for their hot starts under Gruden.
Damn, it sucks being right all the time.

They pick directly in front of Miami (tiebreaker goes to Skins) 😁
I guess they should use that pick to draft a safety.   Payne is good, but I still say that the Skins should have drafted Derwin James who will be an All-Pro for the next 10 years.   He's the new Kam Chancellor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Payne and Allen are two good defensive building blocks. Kerrigan should continue to be a solid starter. Ioannidis is a legit starter. Dunbar is fine as a starting CB. After that, a lot of nothing unless some of the young guys make a jump. 

On offense, Trent should have some seasons left and Scherff and Moses help make a good starting OL. We are all hoping Guice can still be what we hope he can be. Thompson’s a good role player. The rest is up in the air. 

Keep in mind, though, that this was good enough to get to 6-3. A capable starter like Smith can have this team competitive. We aren’t “one player away” but also not “years away requiring multiple good drafts”. Injuries really did hurt this year. 

There are a handful of bright spots surrounded by quite a bit of mediocrity (including coaching) which is good enough to win some games if you can stay relatively healthy. 

Payne and Allen are two good defensive building blocks. Kerrigan should continue to be a solid starter. Ioannidis is a legit starter. Dunbar is fine as a starting CB. After that, a lot of nothing unless some of the young guys make a jump. 

On offense, Trent should have some seasons left and Scherff and Moses help make a good starting OL. We are all hoping Guice can still be what we hope he can be. Thompson’s a good role player. The rest is up in the air. 

Keep in mind, though, that this was good enough to get to 6-3. A capable starter like Smith can have this team competitive. We aren’t “one player away” but also not “years away requiring multiple good drafts”. Injuries really did hurt this year. 

There are a handful of bright spots surrounded by quite a bit of mediocrity (including coaching) which is good enough to win some games if you can stay relatively healthy. 
Agreed.  This year i mostly wanted to see the defense strengthen, the online stay strong and see if our young wrs can break out.  The latter didn’t really happen but i was happy with the defense and online play.  I’d like the focus to remain there.  Maybe wait on qb even.  A good defense and oline  can keep you competitive!

Agreed.  This year i mostly wanted to see the defense strengthen, the online stay strong and see if our young wrs can break out.  The latter didn’t really happen but i was happy with the defense and online play.  I’d like the focus to remain there.  Maybe wait on qb even.  A good defense and oline  can keep you competitive!
WRs were such a disappointment. Please just cut Josh Docston already. Paul Richardson flashed a few times. I'll have to give him an Incomplete on the year. Everyone else failed. 

From a Yahoo Sports power ranking issue. Everyone seems to be able to see it by Snyder...

"The fiasco with dumping all of the business office executives but keeping the football people that are responsible for the messes on the field underscores that the Redskins will never be good as long as Daniel Snyder is owner. I’ve never seen another professional sports team have so many fans disavow it and change favorite teams."

JetMaxx said:
I’m not a big Gruden guy but it says something that his team played as hard as it did in the finale vs the Eagles, especially with JJ at QB. 
aaaand still lost. Gruden is no bueno. can beat Rams and Sea on the road, then go home an lose to the 2-14 browns.

Pitt not happy with AB right now. :whistle:
AB wouldn't consider Washington in a million years.  

If he's not happy in Pitt getting 1300 yards and 15 TDs with a HOF QB, he certainly would go ballistic here.   The Skins don't even know who their Week 1 starter will be.   

if not for the hope I have in Guice, not sure I'd even bother getting Sunday Ticket to watch the Skins next season. He is literally the lone offensive player that gives me a reason to want to watch.  :bag:

I know this is now ancient history, but can someone tell me why the Skins let McVay walk? Why would they have not fired Gruden and promoted him to HC? Watching him turn around the Rams just makes me sick at our FO and GM. We had a brilliant young offensive mind in house and we let him go. So stupid and so typical of the Redskins....

I know this is now ancient history, but can someone tell me why the Skins let McVay walk? Why would they have not fired Gruden and promoted him to HC? Watching him turn around the Rams just makes me sick at our FO and GM. We had a brilliant young offensive mind in house and we let him go. So stupid and so typical of the Redskins....
Who says he would have wanted to stay in that disaster of a FO?

I have never understood why NFL owners don’t pay out the ### for coaching. Coaches don’t count against the salary cap and it’s an easy way to get a competitive advantage. I get that some guys have egos and they want to be HCs but some are happy with just being the OC or DC. 
Redskins did that very thing years ago, with Synder.  I don't recall all the names, but it was back when they got Deion Sanders and others on the field, they got some huge names to be on the sidelines.

Redskins did that very thing years ago, with Synder.  I don't recall all the names, but it was back when they got Deion Sanders and others on the field, they got some huge names to be on the sidelines.
Beat me to my edit and deletion. I started a thread about this. 

I have never understood why NFL owners don’t pay out the ### for coaching. Coaches don’t count against the salary cap and it’s an easy way to get a competitive advantage. I get that some guys have egos and they want to be HCs but some are happy with just being the OC or DC. 
Redskins did this a bunch of times. Big money and bigger title like "assistant head coach - defense". Think that got us Marvin Lewis, Mike Martz, Al Saunders, and Gregg Williams at different times. 

Yeah Redskins paid a ton for Steve Spurrier, who treated the gig like a part time summer job by all accounts, vs Gibbs who slept at the office working 18+ hour days. That was a total disaster. 

Snyder's going to have to fire Bruce Allen and then back off and hire a true GM if we are going to improve. It's sickening to think we had both Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan on our staff at one point and we're stuck with Jay Gruden.

Users who are viewing this thread