What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (10 Viewers)

so i guess Garcon is gone?   He looks good.  thought we might grab jack.  But i guess they feel they can grab their defensive targets later. 

This was sorta interesting to me. Seems like after the way the first 20 picks went, the skins were locked in on  a wr. Maybe that was the plan all along, who knows. But, they must have been comfortable with one of two WRs or else they dont make that trade, right?

" Scotch calls Houston GM: hey, were taking WR here and we know you're likely drafting a WR, right?

Houston: maybe, and not sure I believe you are drafting WR either, but, which one would you take?

Scotch: not telling. But, if you want to be sure you get your WR, give us a little sweetener and you can have our spot and we'll slide back one.

Houston GM: hmmm, ok, how about a 6th?

Scotch: ok, deal. "

Am I wrong to think they had to be comfortable with either Doctson or another WR?

That aside, I like the pick. I think he's the best WR in the draft and gives flexibility at WR after this year, while helping to protect the cap(now they possibly can let either djax or Garcon walk without feeling compelled to offer a pricey extension) for the tons of extensions we can expect next offseason. Besides, not a single DT was off the board yet. Gotta figure they can get D line help in the 2nd now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! Fook the penguins! Ive had 20 years or penguins torturing me in my dreams. Such a seemingly friendly but scary lil waddling' animal. God I hate Crosby. Please let this series be different.

Yeah! Fook the penguins! Ive had 20 years or penguins torturing me in my dreams. Such a seemingly friendly but scary lil waddling' animal. God I hate Crosby. Please let this series be different.
I just got caught up on this thread and you saved the day!

so i guess Garcon is gone?   He looks good.  thought we might grab jack.  But i guess they feel they can grab their defensive targets later. 
I could see Garcon getting the boot. Thought I read cutting him by June 1st saves $8M on the cap. With the Norman signing, we were already up against the cap before even signing draft picks. I like Garcon, but he's expendable. This also allows the team to work on extensions for the current group of guys that need  it. With Garcon and DJax both FAs after this season, there was no way we were keeping both of them. Smart move to get Doctson now and let him grow and learn the system for a season before we really need him to take over. I could see going into the season with DJax, Docston, Crowder, and Grant. Remember also, we brought in Boldin for a visit so he could replace Garcon this season and be much cheaper.

Bleh. Maybe my earlier post wasn't in the wrong thread. I know they need to think about Garcon and Jackson being gone next year. But a very good DE and DT sitting there and they take a WR? Simply don't care for the pick. Hopefully the rest of the draft goes better.

I could see Garcon getting the boot. Thought I read cutting him by June 1st saves $8M on the cap. With the Norman signing, we were already up against the cap before even signing draft picks. I like Garcon, but he's expendable. This also allows the team to work on extensions for the current group of guys that need  it. With Garcon and DJax both FAs after this season, there was no way we were keeping both of them. Smart move to get Doctson now and let him grow and learn the system for a season before we really need him to take over. I could see going into the season with DJax, Docston, Crowder, and Grant. Remember also, we brought in Boldin for a visit so he could replace Garcon this season and be much cheaper.
What would they use that 8 million for?  Unless they need it to resign Cousins I think they roll into the season with Garcon, Doctson, Crowder, Jackson as the top WRs.  Add in Reed and we have a dominant receiving corps.  This also gives Doctson a year to be the WR3/4 and also, what are the odds that Jackson stays healthy the whole season?  Doctson could be WR 1 or 2 by midway through the season.

What would they use that 8 million for?  Unless they need it to resign Cousins I think they roll into the season with Garcon, Doctson, Crowder, Jackson as the top WRs.  Add in Reed and we have a dominant receiving corps.  This also gives Doctson a year to be the WR3/4 and also, what are the odds that Jackson stays healthy the whole season?  Doctson could be WR 1 or 2 by midway through the season.
Could extend Cousins, Reed, DJax, etc. I would be fine if they ended up keeping Garcon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on closer to June 1 either.

Could extend Cousins, Reed, DJax, etc. I would be fine if they ended up keeping Garcon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on closer to June 1 either.
True, I think they wait and see on all 3.  Cousins, do it for more than 1 year and actually beat a team with a winning record.  Reed, was great last year but he has had injury issues, let's make sure he can stay healthy for another season.  Djax, I honestly think we move on from him.  He's 29 and will be 30 this season, and he's just a speed guy.  Players like him usually start to slow down around 30 and lose their burst. 

I would think the idea is to move on with Crowder, Reed, and Doctson next season and probably draft another WR next year or another WR later this year.

He transferred from Wyoming to TCU, so guessing he had to sit out a year
Yeah, stats leap from 2011 to 2013. 

Any worry that he's a bit older than some of the other WRs so we might not get as many years out of him?  I saw this as the biggest knock on him before, but I think it's overblown since most players don't even make it to the second contract.

Yeah, stats leap from 2011 to 2013. 

Any worry that he's a bit older than some of the other WRs so we might not get as many years out of him?  I saw this as the biggest knock on him before, but I think it's overblown since most players don't even make it to the second contract.
You could spin it as, he should be more mature than a 20-21y/o coming into the league. And WRs last awhile anyway. So if we can get a good 5-6 years out of him, that's fine with me. I think it's hard to count on guys for longer than that anyway.

He transferred from Wyoming to TCU, so guessing he had to sit out a year
All true.  And some weird trivia - he was the only guy in this draft (and for at least the last couple) to score both for and against his college team.  He got a TD against TCU when he was a member of Wyoming.

Who is the player that we hope falls to the Skins in the 2nd round?

I'm hoping for Ragland, Billings, Reed, or Chris Jones.

Who is the player that we hope falls to the Skins in the 2nd round?

I'm hoping for Ragland, Billings, Reed, or Chris Jones.
I'd be happy with any of those 4 honestly. Not sure where we go with the 2nd round pick. Wouldn't shock me if McCloughan trades it either for some extra picks later in the draft.

In the Washington Post today,

The Redskins had desire to move down further in the draft but didn’t receive any offers enticing enough to make them pull the trigger on another deal.
Grant and Danny speculated that the player(s) the Redskins coveted went earlier than expected.  They even speculated that the Redskins wanted C Ryan Kelley, who went #18 to the Colts.

Grant and Danny speculated that the player(s) the Redskins coveted went earlier than expected.  They even speculated that the Redskins wanted C Ryan Kelley, who went #18 to the Colts.
I was for sure they would trade down again once they were on the clock at 22. The whole trading down thing is always tough because it takes 2 to tango. And if the offer isn't enticing enough, there's no point in trading down just to say you traded down. Kelly would have been a nice addition, but there was nothing we could do about that one. I'm totally happy with Doctson.

I'd suspect that was Karl Joseph.  He was expected to make it to the ~23-36 range, and he went at 14.  He's also a very physical Safety, Scot's type of player.

I'd suspect that was Karl Joseph.  He was expected to make it to the ~23-36 range, and he went at 14.  He's also a very physical Safety, Scot's type of player.
I think it was either Joseph, Neal or Kelly.  I'm happy with Doctson though since you're addressing a need a couple of years before you've got it.  Plus as I read more about him I really dig his story.  

Bleh. Maybe my earlier post wasn't in the wrong thread. I know they need to think about Garcon and Jackson being gone next year. But a very good DE and DT sitting there and they take a WR? Simply don't care for the pick. Hopefully the rest of the draft goes better.
Who would you have liked to see them pick?

This was sorta interesting to me. Seems like after the way the first 20 picks went, the skins were locked in on  a wr. Maybe that was the plan all along, who knows. But, they must have been comfortable with one of two WRs or else they dont make that trade, right?

" Scotch calls Houston GM: hey, were taking WR here and we know you're likely drafting a WR, right?

Houston: maybe, and not sure I believe you are drafting WR either, but, which one would you take?

Scotch: not telling. But, if you want to be sure you get your WR, give us a little sweetener and you can have our spot and we'll slide back one.

Houston GM: hmmm, ok, how about a 6th?

Scotch: ok, deal. "

Am I wrong to think they had to be comfortable with either Doctson or another WR?

That aside, I like the pick. I think he's the best WR in the draft and gives flexibility at WR after this year, while helping to protect the cap(now they possibly can let either djax or Garcon walk without feeling compelled to offer a pricey extension) for the tons of extensions we can expect next offseason. Besides, not a single DT was off the board yet. Gotta figure they can get D line help in the 2nd now.
I think it's more likely that Scotty told the Texans that Cincinnati was calling and looking to take the guy that Houston wanted. If Houston wanted their man, they had to move up a spot. The 'Skins likely knew Doctson wasn't Houston's target.

I think it's more likely that Scotty told the Texans that Cincinnati was calling and looking to take the guy that Houston wanted. If Houston wanted their man, they had to move up a spot. The 'Skins likely knew Doctson wasn't Houston's target.
OK, I could see that.  

Meh S Sean Davis should have been the pick. Looks like Pittsburgh just picked him up a few picks later. Good teams make good picks.

Happy so far. Thought we may have gone DL in the 2nd, but I like the Cravens pick. Fuller is an interesting pick, may signal the end of Culliver? 

Meh S Sean Davis should have been the pick. Looks like Pittsburgh just picked him up a few picks later. Good teams make good picks.
I am looking around the internet on what others think about the Redskins draft picks.  From profootballfocus.com:

22 (53). Washington Redskins: Su’a Cravens | Grade: B+

Cravens has put together two strong years of grading in our system, ranking third among safeties last year at +23.9. He knows how to defeat blocks in the running game, ranking fourth in run stop percentage at 6.9 percent while also grading positively in coverage and as a pass rusher. He is one of the many players being looked at as a nickel linebacker option.

27 (58). Pittsburgh Steelers: Sean Davis | Grade: D

And yet another size/speed pick, Davis has played both cornerback and safety for Maryland with mixed results. His -3.6 overall grade in 2015 ranked 96th among cornerbacks including a -6.7 coverage grade that ranked 112th. The Steelers may see if he can stick at cornerback, and while his movement skills stood out positively when we saw him at the Senior Bowl, the on-field production just hasn’t been there to this point
They like Cravens a lot more than Davis.

I am looking around the internet on what others think about the Redskins draft picks.  From profootballfocus.com:

I hope Cravens works out but I'd rather have the higher ceiling player in Davis. He's got special in his range.

OMG here we go again. Just stop it. You lost all credibility couple years ago with your over the top and know it all rant on M Moses. I dont think I can take another draft with your 'hot takes'.
Yeah still don't care for Moses but he has improved. I was right on a lot of players that draft as well though. I few I was high on Aaron Donald, Mack, Bucannon, Roby, Cooks, Evans, Bitonio, Shazier, Allen Robinson, Sankey, Jordan Matthews, ASJ........  I didn't like Dennard, Dix, Amaro, Murphy(neutral really but I was pissed we traded out of the spot where we could have had Bitonio), Fuller, ODB(big miss here and I can't deny it I didn't like him at all that year), Watkins (didn't hate him just thought he was overrated), Pryor, Manziel, Ebron.......

Not bad imo but if you want to pick a player or two I was wrong about to say I have no credibility be my guest. I just don't know how you are going to give anybody any credibility using those standards.

Sean Davis reminds me of Bradley Roby a little.  Raw but he flashes on tape and the combine numbers showed he's a world class athlete. He needs to work on some things though. Maybe a year or two to settle in.

One other thing and I'll drop it about Cravens because a lot of you guys just get mad and I'm really not trying to upset people. Blind homerism is kind of annoying to me though.

Lots of people are comparing him to Deone Buchanon. He is no Deone Buchanon.

Buchanon's an elite athlete

40 yd 4.49

19 bench reps

36.5 vert

125 inch broad jump

6.96 3 cone

Cravens is not

40 yd 4.69

16 bench reps

27 inch vert

114 broad jump

6.92 3 cone

Terrible comparison imo but Scot McCloughan must have loved his tape. McCloughan has a great track record so lets hope he's right.

Lets see who we get today!  

I hope Cravens works out but I'd rather have the higher ceiling player in Davis. He's got special in his range.

Yeah still don't care for Moses but he has improved. I was right on a lot of players that draft as well though. I few I was high on Aaron Donald, Mack, Bucannon, Roby, Cooks, Evans, Bitonio, Shazier, Allen Robinson, Sankey, Jordan Matthews, ASJ........  I didn't like Dennard, Dix, Amaro, Murphy(neutral really but I was pissed we traded out of the spot where we could have had Bitonio), Fuller, ODB(big miss here and I can't deny it I didn't like him at all that year), Watkins (didn't hate him just thought he was overrated), Pryor, Manziel, Ebron.......

Not bad imo but if you want to pick a player or two I was wrong about to say I have no credibility be my guest. I just don't know how you are going to give anybody any credibility using those standards.

Sean Davis reminds me of Bradley Roby a little.  Raw but he flashes on tape and the combine numbers showed he's a world class athlete. He needs to work on some things though. Maybe a year or two to settle in.
Most of us don't give you much credibility in regards to picks because you had a hissy fit for about 8 months about what a god awful move it was to draft Moses.  You wouldn't stop dwelling on it for months.  Until of course he showed he was a solid contributor, then you wouldn't talk about it at all.  

Bitonio is a good player and sure it would have be nice to end up with him but that trade with Dallas netted The Redskins Spencer Long and Trent Murphy so it's tough to be as over the top on it as you are. 

Most of us don't give you much credibility in regards to picks because you had a hissy fit for about 8 months about what a god awful move it was to draft Moses.  You wouldn't stop dwelling on it for months.  Until of course he showed he was a solid contributor, then you wouldn't talk about it at all.  

Bitonio is a good player and sure it would have be nice to end up with him but that trade with Dallas netted The Redskins Spencer Long and Trent Murphy so it's tough to be as over the top on it as you are. 
Bitonio>Long + Murphy and it's not close because Murphy is easily replaced so it's Bitonio and a roster spot essentially.  

it's not about being right or wrong w/ your player prognostications, it's about how adamant and cocksure you were about Moses, to the point you were dismissive of any contrary opinions. bad look, considering Moses is trending in the right direction.  

it's not about being right or wrong w/ your player prognostications, it's about how adamant and cocksure you were about Moses, to the point you were dismissive of any contrary opinions. bad look, considering Moses is trending in the right direction.  
:goodposting:

I enjoy that you have a different view.  It's no fun discussing things with you though since you don't seem to listen or are interested in engaging in any dialogue.  

It's more about your guys tribalism. If I speak against the Skins everybody gets all worked up. I was just as right about, if not more right, about Bitonio than I was wrong about Moses. Nobody mentions that though. Rolleyes. Carry on. 

Users who are viewing this thread