What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

There is no way they can ignore the WR position. right? right???  :scared:
Depends on what you mean by "ignore". I'm a big proponent of just taking the best player in round 1 and really targeting needs on day 2. At pick #15 it would be tough to take any WR other than Metcalf but he seems pretty boom-or-bust to me. 

This is a pretty thin year at CB and for the second year in a row that seems like their biggest need so I would be hoping they draft CB in the 2nd round. Probably one from this group: Baker, Layne, Love, Ya-Sin, Oruwariye, Mullen, Williams. They can complain all they want about Norman being paid like an elite player and only performing like a solid starter but the truth is Norman is probably the player they can LEAST afford to lose. Now that they are tied to Collins for the next several years they desperately need guys that can cover.

I would probably target WR at pick #76. Isabella would be a natural fit to replace Crowder but they could go for a higher ceiling player like Boykin or Ridley. Hall might be a tempting prospect but I think he's a bad fit if you already have Doctson/Richardson/Reed getting dinged up all the time.

Guys like Hart/Godwin/Sills/Anthony Johnson/Jennings could all turn out to be steals in the draft at WR but it's hard to say if any of them will last for pick #153. If one of them was there I would have no problem with WAS going back-to-back WR's. They probably should have brought back Ryan Grant for 1yr/$2.5mil and then they wouldn't need to burn two draft picks on WR's. He also already knows the offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well despite being really excited about Guice, and hopeful that we will either trade for Rosen or get QB help in the draft, after looking at the Skins schedule I'm bummed.  Another 4-7 win season seems very likely.

Week 1 @ Eagles (Loss)

Week 2 vs Dallas (toss up)

Week 3 vs Bears (Loss)

Week 4 @ Giants (toss up)

Week 5 vs Patriots (Loss)

Week 6 @ Dolphins (Win)

Week 7 vs 49'ers (Toss Up)

Week 8 @ Vikings (Loss)

Week 9 @ Bills (Win) 

Week 11 vs Jets (Loss) 

Week 12 vs Lions (Win)

Week 13 @ Panthers (Loss)

Week 14 @ Packers (Loss)

Week 15 vs Eagles (Toss Up)

Week 16 vs Giants (Toss Up)

Week 17 @ Dallas (Loss)

I hate being a Redskins fan  :bag:

Well despite being really excited about Guice, and hopeful that we will either trade for Rosen or get QB help in the draft, after looking at the Skins schedule I'm bummed.  Another 4-7 win season seems very likely.

Week 1 @ Eagles (Loss)

Week 2 vs Dallas (toss up)

Week 3 vs Bears (Loss)

Week 4 @ Giants (toss up)

Week 5 vs Patriots (Loss)

Week 6 @ Dolphins (Win)

Week 7 vs 49'ers (Toss Up)

Week 8 @ Vikings (Loss)

Week 9 @ Bills (Win) 

Week 11 vs Jets (Loss) 

Week 12 vs Lions (Win)

Week 13 @ Panthers (Loss)

Week 14 @ Packers (Loss)

Week 15 vs Eagles (Toss Up)

Week 16 vs Giants (Toss Up)

Week 17 @ Dallas (Loss)

I hate being a Redskins fan  :bag:
I would be very happy if we could have a 2 or 4 win season.  Imo we need to rebuild.  We aren’t competing this year.  Let Guice get healthy.  Draft young talent and train them up.  Continue building the D and the lines.  Draft a qb late.  Put together something that can give a qb success when we are in position to get one without mortgaging our future.  We get a qb now who will they throw to?  They won’t be successful.

Good teams that are good for a few years draft well and train the players up while acquiring picks. 

Plus maybe bruce gets fired if they really stink.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Good news 

Matt I was signed to a 3 yr extension for what looks like it could be a bargain. Nice to see young pieces being locked up for the foreseeable future. 

Oh, dear....

Grant Paulsen
@granthpaulsen

Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."

The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

2:31 PM - 24 Apr 2019

Oh, dear....

Grant Paulsen
@granthpaulsen

Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."

The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

2:31 PM - 24 Apr 2019
As Scooby-Doo would say, "Ruh Roh."   

Pete Prisco from CBS was saying that the Jets have been in communication with the Skins about trading for the 3rd pick.   The  big question would be "Why?"  . Are they thinking that the Cards won't take Kyler Murray at 1.01 and would then leap at 1.03 and grab him.   They'd have to pay a king's ransom to jump that far.  They wouldn't do that for Bama Boy Quinnen Williams; they already have Payne and Allen.    Maybe for edge rusher Josh Allen?   

A lot of intrigue with this year's draft.   

As Scooby-Doo would say, "Ruh Roh."   

Pete Prisco from CBS was saying that the Jets have been in communication with the Skins about trading for the 3rd pick.   The  big question would be "Why?"  . Are they thinking that the Cards won't take Kyler Murray at 1.01 and would then leap at 1.03 and grab him.   They'd have to pay a king's ransom to jump that far.  They wouldn't do that for Bama Boy Quinnen Williams; they already have Payne and Allen.    Maybe for edge rusher Josh Allen?   

A lot of intrigue with this year's draft.   
The Twitter rumors are saying eyes on QB:  Haskins or Jones.

I’m going to guess it’s all misdirection.  Wouldn’t surprise me but I’m guessing it’s all bs.

has Kiem reported on it?

The Twitter rumors are saying eyes on QB:  Haskins or Jones.
If the Redskins trade all the way up to #3 to draft Jones..... I guess it will distract everyone from complaining about spending all their FA $ on Landon Collins(to replace Swearinger who was cut because he hurt one of the coaches feelings). What a franchise. If trading for Case Keenum is the smartest move of your offseason you are definitely doing it wrong.

PinkydaPimp said:
I’m going to guess it’s all misdirection.  Wouldn’t surprise me but I’m guessing it’s all bs.

has Kiem reported on it?
Yes because if someone can pull a flim flam on other NFL teams it would definitely be Bruce Allen and/or Dan Snyder.  It is going to be Christmas in April for some team tomorrow.  Probably the Jets  . 😆

Wonder how much of this is because it seems obvious that Colt McCoy is at best 50/50 for the beginning of the season.  

Yes because if someone can pull a flim flam on other NFL teams it would definitely be Bruce Allen and/or Dan Snyder.  It is going to be Christmas in April for some team tomorrow.  Probably the Jets  . 😆

Wonder how much of this is because it seems obvious that Colt McCoy is at best 50/50 for the beginning of the season.  
less them and more the media.  Also every team has outrageous reports in the last day or two.  I also heard Zona isnt taking Kyler.  Cmon now.

This is one of the roots of the problem. They have been "grooming" that guy until he'll turn 33 at the start of this season instead of grooming another guy, or guyS at this point, in their mid-20's. It's not like they had several years with Cousins where they knew they may eventually need a replacement if a long term deal didn't get worked out. It's not like they didn't know how old Alex Smith was when they traded for him. The fact that they have kicked the can on their long term plans for QB has them in an ideal situation to completely reach for a QB in a very poor QB class. Maybe the bigger root of the problem is it seems like everyone below the owner is behaving like they are on a one year contract and are just trying to put out fires on a one year basis instead of looking even just a year or two down the road. 

Never dreamed the trade for Smith would end as bad as the McNabb trade yet here we are.... :wall:  Add in RG3 trade, Heath Shuler pick, letting Trent Green walk , Jason Campbell pick and even Joey T’s leg and you have a franchise who’s cursed at the QB position  :bag:

Last night the Capitals choke at home in a Game 7.

Today there are rumors about Dan Snyder mortgaging our future for a flashy pick.

Feels like old times...
Next up, a Strasburg injury and the Wizards getting the worst possible lottery pick that they use on someone who never plays while passing on multiple future all stars. 

Next up, a Strasburg injury and the Wizards getting the worst possible lottery pick that they use on someone who never plays while passing on multiple future all stars. 
We're just lucky Ernie Grunfeld didn't trade the Wizards number one pick for a 35 year old vet on an expiring contract on his way out...

So who are the QB's that you WOULD like to see WAS draft?

I've seen some project Grier in the 4th and I wouldn't balk at that to push McCoy off the roster. He might even push Keenum for starts by the end of the year.

If Rypien or Tyree Jackson is there in the 6th they should draft him as a practice squad stash. It wouldn't really surprise me if the bottom fell out on Finley or Stidham and one of them was available in the 7th. If they don't get Grier in the 4th I wouldn't even mind them drafting two of these four guys. 

They need to start developing young guys. And keep developing young guys until they find their next QB. I wouldn't really be shocked if Keenum has a better season than the entire field of '19 rookies.

I've seen some project Grier in the 4th and I wouldn't balk at that to push McCoy off the roster. He might even push Keenum for starts by the end of the year.

If Rypien or Tyree Jackson is there in the 6th they should draft him as a practice squad stash. It wouldn't really surprise me if the bottom fell out on Finley or Stidham and one of them was available in the 7th. If they don't get Grier in the 4th I wouldn't even mind them drafting two of these four guys. 

They need to start developing young guys. And keep developing young guys until they find their next QB. I wouldn't really be shocked if Keenum has a better season than the entire field of '19 rookies.
I don't like the "developing a guy" philosophy. At least not as a 2nd-4th round pick when those can be starters at other positions. Get a guy with a 1st round pedigree or don't. Project in the 6th? Fine. I'll be happy with a y of the QBs at 15. I'll be pissed if we trade up. I'll be fine if we punt the position and go after next year. I'd love Rypien in the 6th though. Why not. 

I think Grier after the first round would be a good pick, particularly if we went WR (like Metcalf) in first.

If Haskins drops to 15, then I'd be happy to take him there.

If we wait til later, I've heard good things about NC State QB Ryan Finley...could be a mid-round steal and would enable us to load up at other positions early on.

ETA:  I am AGAINST trading up; we have too many needs.  But, I'm not opposed to trading down and targeting Grier or Finley...

Scot McCloughan drafted a developmental QB in Nate Sudfeld for us, but Bruce thinks he knows more than the scouts and cut him right after he fired Scot (and threw him under the bus).  He's now the QB2 for PHI.

My ideal scenario would be to trade Keenum & 2.15 for Rosen, then use the 1.15 on Ferrell, Sweat, or one of the top CBs.

If we stay at 15, with no trade for Rosen, I'd be alright with Haskins, Lock, or Jones (in that order).  I think trading up to the top 5, giving up draft capital when we already have so many holes on the roster, would be a big mistake. 

If Haskins drops to 15, then I'd be happy to take him there.
Yeah, that's how I feel as well. 

If Haskins doesn't drop to 15 they should try to trade down to the bottom of the first down imo. Just grab Murphy/Williams/Baker at CB and he steps on the field as a starter. They need all the picks they can get.

Too many good WR's later to roll the dice on Metcalf that early imo. Doesn't run a full route tree. History of injury problems(just perfect for this group). Looks like David Boston with his shirt off. Just doesn't seem like a good fit for a Gruden/Keenum offense to me. 

So Snyder and Allen want Haskins and everyone else wants Jones. Getting Haskins means giving up a boat load, where Jones could very well fall to them. We all know how this is going to go down....sigh 

Scot McCloughan drafted a developmental QB in Nate Sudfeld for us, but Bruce thinks he knows more than the scouts and cut him right after he fired Scot (and threw him under the bus).  He's now the QB2 for PHI.

My ideal scenario would be to trade Keenum & 2.15 for Rosen, then use the 1.15 on Ferrell, Sweat, or one of the top CBs.

If we stay at 15, with no trade for Rosen, I'd be alright with Haskins, Lock, or Jones (in that order).  I think trading up to the top 5, giving up draft capital when we already have so many holes on the roster, would be a big mistake. 
Scot also took Docston over Michael Thomas in the same draft and followed up with Cravens. Let's not pretend that guy is some genius. 

Scot also took Docston over Michael Thomas in the same draft and followed up with Cravens. Let's not pretend that guy is some genius. 
To be fair the whole world had Doctson over Thomas but you are right, the Cravens pick raised eyebrows. That move really required a defense to use that player in a unique way and then he had his own personal issues off the field. I think CAR and ARZ used those hybrid SS/LB and a lot of folks thought they could just plug those guys into your defense at the time. I remember hating that pick at the time.

In terms of a genius, meh, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Oddly, it sounds like I am siding with Snyder/Allen this year. If Haskins is there at #15 just sit tight and select him. Wouldn't trade up for him though.

I think the difference between Doctson and Thomas has more to do with the organizations they went to, rather than their talent levels.

I think the difference between Doctson and Thomas has more to do with the organizations they went to, rather than their talent levels.
I can't disagree more there. Have you seen the two of them play? Docston is terrible. When he is healthy. Thomas is one of the best WRs in the league. World's apart. Much more than team. 

I can't disagree more there. Have you seen the two of them play? Docston is terrible. When he is healthy. Thomas is one of the best WRs in the league. World's apart. Much more than team. 
Coaching, work ethic and competency of the training staff/medical team are the big differentiators here.  When healthy and playing well, Doctson has made several* tremendous plays.  They are way too few and far between, which I chalk up to all the issues I mentioned above.

Coaching, work ethic and competency of the training staff/medical team are the big differentiators here.  When healthy and playing well, Doctson has made several* tremendous plays.  They are way too few and far between, which I chalk up to all the issues I mentioned above.
Stick to the Ravens, in my imo. 

I like a lot Grier, but I think the most underrated kid in the QB room is the NC State kid, Ryan Finley. If they're by any unlikely chance kicking ### in the Draft, I'd love a flyer on Rypien. Who wouldnt? Bruce, probably. If he outperformed a higher drafted qb on the Team, that Bruce championed and gave up capital to get, it would threaten his fiefdom.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I would not mind a reasonable trade up to get Haskins. Being a MD fan and watching a ton Big 10(or whatever they call it these days) I liked him a lot. 

The more reaches that are made (thanks Raiders) the better shot Skins might get this pick right. I just hope they don’t trade up.

Users who are viewing this thread