What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (10 Viewers)

Obviously all the reports say this was Dan’s pick. Will be interesting to see if Jay is free to start who he wants week 1. 

Great pick for the Redskins.   This is a guy who's played big games, and knows how to win.   Not super mobile, but can make all of the throws.   Now get him some receivers.   

Obviously all the reports say this was Dan’s pick. Will be interesting to see if Jay is free to start who he wants week 1. 
What’s interesting is that jays typical offense makes use of a mobile QBs.  That may be why he didn’t like Haskins.  Now, a good coach will scheme to his talent , but I’m not sure jay has shown the ability to do that.  My suspicion is that Haskins starts at some point this year but there is growing pains.  Next year Gruden is gone and perhaps new coach will design offense around Haskins strength.

ps I still like the pick.  Long term I think Haskins can be a successful starter 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait we just traded up for the next pick?

depending on what we gave up I may dig it. 

If we take metcalf I’ll really dig it.

all depends on what we gave up

Someone just told me we traded 2nd this year (46) and 2nd next year for the 26th pick this year.  

Picked Sweat.

i actually like this move.

Only wrinkle here now is we have no 2nd round pick but two 3rd rounders.  We still need wide receivers; I guess we feel we can get some guys mid rounds...

Sweat with those DT's and Kerrigan........so sick. Lots of pressure. Pressure without blitzing is the hardest to game plan for. So disrupting.

What’s interesting is that jays typical offense makes use of a mobile QBs.  That may be why he didn’t like Haskins.  Now, a good coach will scheme to his talent , but I’m not sure jay has shown the ability to do that.  My suspicion is that Haskins starts at some point this year but there is growing pains.  Next year Gruden is gone and perhaps new coach will design offense around Haskins strength.

ps I still like the pick.  Long term I think Haskins can be a successful starter 
I agree with most of your post, but Jay Gruden and mobile QBs? Didn't he make his name off Andy Dalton? Cousins is Michael Vick now? I know Cousin has legs when he's needs them, but he's more Brady than Lamar Jackson. 

I've been pretty negative in here but I gotta say, well done by the front office.  I'm not a big Haskins guy but whatever, we need a QB and didn't trade up to get him.  Sweat is a freaking stud, definitely worth a 2nd rounder next year.  Very pleasantly surprised with this draft so far.

I agree with most of your post, but Jay Gruden and mobile QBs? Didn't he make his name off Andy Dalton? Cousins is Michael Vick now? I know Cousin has legs when he's needs them, but he's more Brady than Lamar Jackson. 
Right I agree...doesn’t need to be Lamar.  Just some one who can get out on a bootleg or something snd make quick throws.  But point well taken...Haskins may have the mobility to run Grudens offense and of course I hope he does!

I've been pretty negative in here but I gotta say, well done by the front office.  I'm not a big Haskins guy but whatever, we need a QB and didn't trade up to get him.  Sweat is a freaking stud, definitely worth a 2nd rounder next year.  Very pleasantly surprised with this draft so far.
Yeah you know Bruce and Dan has a pretty good day one.  Both picks were good values at the point the player was drafted. Giving up a 2nd rounder next year not ideal but if Sweat turns out to be a difference maker it’ll be worth it...

It's nice to hear so many Redskins happy in here. Hard to complain with the moves they made. 

Still hope that they go CB in round 2 and WR in round 3 as I posted earlier in the thread. 

It feels like this draft was run by Snyder and not Allen or Gruden.  And unbelievably that’s a good thing.  Possible long term QB and edge rusher.  

If they can get Haskins some weapons over the next 2 seasons while waiting out the Alex smith fiasco they may be a decent team come 2021. 

It's nice to hear so many Redskins happy in here. Hard to complain with the moves they made. 

Still hope that they go CB in round 2 and WR in round 3 as I posted earlier in the thread. 
They don't have a 2nd rounder but do have 2 3rd rounders. One of those has to be a WR...I wouldn't be upset if they took 2 WRs in the 3rd. This draft is deep at WR and we have little to nothing (although I think Quinn is going to do great in the slot) 

well, if these first two picks ultimately go south, boys, it's all my fault.

I said earlier Haskins was worth a slight trade up imo and the only other player worth consider @ 15 was Sweat. We got em both.

could not be more pleased. 

So after a solid first round draft, who are realistic targets for the two third round picks we have this evening.  Acknowledging of course that Best Player Available always must be considered, it would be great to secure a wide receiver who can contribute right away.  We lack both speed and size in our receiving core, so it would be good to get a guy with some real physical skills.  I'd even be ok if we grabbed two WRs or packaged our two number threes to move up and get a better player.  

Beyond WR, we still need help along the offensive line, could use another corner back, and I tight end continues to be a need with Reed's ongoing health issues and Davis' age.

What does everyone else think?

So after a solid first round draft, who are realistic targets for the two third round picks we have this evening.  Acknowledging of course that Best Player Available always must be considered, it would be great to secure a wide receiver who can contribute right away.  We lack both speed and size in our receiving core, so it would be good to get a guy with some real physical skills.  I'd even be ok if we grabbed two WRs or packaged our two number threes to move up and get a better player.  

Beyond WR, we still need help along the offensive line, could use another corner back, and I tight end continues to be a need with Reed's ongoing health issues and Davis' age.

The more lottery tickets they have, the better the chance at getting one to come up with Liberty Bells.  I think combining the 3rds is off the table and they blew their wad last night to move up for Sweat (which I was fine with).

With the injuries to the Skins OL last year, I read that a healthy group this year would rank out in the top 5. 

Definitely need some WR weapons for Haskins. It seems like we had 5-7 ok (#2-3) receivers last year, but no standout and definitely no number 1. 

I really hope they have at least 2 WRs by the end of the 4th round. Its a huge need and a good draft for that position

I’d put the order of needs like this;

1) back end roaming FS. There’s an opportunity to solidify this defense right now with a guy with that skill set. Can’t count on Montae. 

2) another edge rusher. You can never have too many.

3) TE. One that can play in run and pass sets.

4) WR. I put this spot lower than most because I just don’t see too many contributing right away in the NFL. The needs above can contribute more immediately.

5) OL. Ideally a guard, but I don’t think the transition for Flowers is gonna be a problem. Need a back up swing tackle, too. Christian looked lost.

6) RB. Last yr for AP and I’d like to see some more explosion behind Guice after 2019.

7) honorable mention: CB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we got two 4s...
Looks like the Redskins got picks 112 and 131, the 10th and 29th picks in the 4th round.  They traded pick 97, so they moved back 15 spots and picked up a late 4th rounder.  Note that this is the compensation pick for Kirk Cousins.

Don’t know a ton about McLauren but several things go in his favor as meeting current needs on Skins:

Hes fast...4.35 40.  We need speed at WR to make defenses play honest and not crowd everything close.

Hes a special teams standout, meaning he’ll probably contribute right away.

He already has chemistry with Haskins, which nice for rookies looking to get used to NFL in first year.

he is known to have a great work ethic and attention to detail running routes.  Works hard.

A lot of WRs flew off the board before him so I wasn’t assuming we’d get the best WR of the bunch but with any luck he can contribute.  The points above all provide something positive that are not in abundance among our current group of WRs

Users who are viewing this thread