What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

I was thinking that a team like CLE might be interested. They seem stacked across the board, with the exception of OT. They will be paying Mayfield a very reasonable contract for several years assuming they can keep him healthy and I'm not sure it's a good idea to trust Greg Robinson with that job.

HOU also makes a ton of sense since they drafted a project in the first round that probably won't be ready in year 2, let alone year 1 to protect Watson. They have even more cap space than CLE.

It's the type of splashy move NYJ generally make, and they could probably use the help on their OL. Not quite as much cap space though.

I don't think the raiders would be in the market given all they have invested in Miller/Brown. They can't give up on those guys for at least a couple of years I would think.

What a terrible time of year to try to re-work your OL. I was actually glad they signed Flowers for depth to see if he could resurrect his career.... but, eeeeesh, going into the season with that guy as your starting LT seems like a bad idea. He stunk it up pretty good for the NYG playing out of position at LT for a few years. Never should have been drafted that high in the first place. Everybody knew it. Well, all these armchair experts that don't get paid by the NFL to actually made decisions(!?) knew it. The people defending the Danial Jones #6 pick this year were absolutely the ones defending the Ereck Flowers #9 pick overall.

With the LT position so jacked up(assuming Williams really does leave) I can't help but wonder if this gives Keenum a better chance at starting the season. He's more mobile and he's played behind the donk's and MIN OL's so he's used to running for his life. Maybe bring Haskins along a little slower now? Feels like this team just can't get out of it's way. This is the time of year when you are supposed to get positive puff pieces. Just imagine what the headlines will be once hitting starts.

OK, well, bye then. Get what you can for him and move on. No need to keep a $12.5M locker room cancer.
"It's about time someone like that stands up," Moses said. "It's not just a situation here; it happens throughout the league. To have one of our peers like Trent to stand up like that means a lot.”

Yeah, sounds like his teammates hate him. 

Getting Trent Williams makes total sense for the Texans: He will help their offensive line immediately, he will let their two rookie tackles develop at their own pace rather then forcing them to start if they are not ready, Desean Watson will be better protected, the Texans have cap room available if they do need to sweeten his contract, and he fits into the win now window which they are in with where JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins are in their careers.

If the Texans don't make a play for Williams, then Brian Gaine does not know what he is doing.

To be clear I don't want the Skins to move him, but if they do he better bring a massive haul. He really is arguably the best LT in the game. 
Do you think the Redskins would be interested in JaDeveon Clowney? And if so, what other draft picks do you think they could reasonably ask for?

Asking the Redskins to both play hardball and make a financial decision that's in the best interest of the Team's long-term success seems like a bit much, says this jaded, long-suffering fan...

When you factor in age and health,  how long they'll have to extend him for, and the shape he'll be in by then, and the cap hit they'll take for eventually cutting him, I'll give you somewhere in the 6-10 range, but not Top 5...still, that's good enough to get something of value that will help this Team become more...complete. There are a lot of holes to fill.

Thanks for your service, Silverback, but when you go around throwing ultimatums...and the timing, no less...well, don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord split ya. That's certainly not how any right-minded organization wants or expects a Team Captain to behave, either.

With or without Trent, this Team will be lucky to crack .500...

Haskins, in the opinion of many, would benefit from a year holding a clipboard (with Alex Smith whispering in his ear, while Case and Colt get the piss beat out of them, fine by me)...

The entire culture of the Team changes for the better in one fell swoop...best get in line, or get packin' - oooh, maybe the light bulb has gone on in Ashburn?!?!?!

There's gonna be some fallout and collateral damage, but the long-term positives far outweigh any short-term negative effects, IMHO.

Let's git 'er dun!!!

Do you think the Redskins would be interested in JaDeveon Clowney? And if so, what other draft picks do you think they could reasonably ask for?
Nah. They're already set at that spot and Clowney would want a lot of money. I'd take Fuller and a 1st in a heartbeat, but 31 year old players don't get 1st round picks back in trades. Skins would be looking at at a 2nd or 3rd. Maybe Fuller and one of the rookie linemen they just drafted?

Not sure if already mentioned, but apparently Trent's issues stem from his relationship with the team doctors.  He apparently had a tumor or something similar in his head for the last 18 months - and when he first discussed it with the Redskins medical staff they said it was nothing.  When trust is lost, what else can there be?

nittanylion said:
When you factor in age and health,  how long they'll have to extend him for, and the shape he'll be in by then, and the cap hit they'll take for eventually cutting him,....
And don't forget the drug suspension. I wouldn't expect to get a lot back in a trade but as you say..... they probably aren't going anywhere WITH him. People talking about Clowney or Fuller at tilting at windmills imo. Those are young ascending players making the Texans a legit contender in the AFC. Those players are WHY they would have interest in Williams at the end of his career. If they were to part with some picks and/or one of the developmental tackles on the Texans then WAS should jump at the chance.

FWIW, it's not shocking to me at all that players would be questioning the Redskin medical staff. How many surgeries have Smith/Guice had to endure in the past year alone? Are we sure the Redskins have a medical staff or do they just send their players to a neighborhood clinic with a coupon? Brutal.

And don't forget the drug suspension. I wouldn't expect to get a lot back in a trade but as you say..... they probably aren't going anywhere WITH him. People talking about Clowney or Fuller at tilting at windmills imo. Those are young ascending players making the Texans a legit contender in the AFC. Those players are WHY they would have interest in Williams at the end of his career. If they were to part with some picks and/or one of the developmental tackles on the Texans then WAS should jump at the chance.

FWIW, it's not shocking to me at all that players would be questioning the Redskin medical staff. How many surgeries have Smith/Guice had to endure in the past year alone? Are we sure the Redskins have a medical staff or do they just send their players to a neighborhood clinic with a coupon? Brutal.
I don't think the Texans want to get rid of Clowney, they would probably rather trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get Williams, but if push comes to shove, I think they would trade Clowney. Because of injury history, and I think because they don't want to have two huge contracts on the defensive line (they already have one with Watt), I think they would be willing to use Clowney to get a top notch LT. The ascending player on the Texans is Watson and keeping him healthy and productive should be their number one priority. In two seasons he has put up good numbers with an absolutely atrocious line. Think about what he could do behind a decent to good line.

Dodged the Hard Knocks bullet. I remain of the steadfast opinion that the savvy NFL marketing machine will avoid drawing any unnecessary national exposure towards the Redskins unless they are absolutely backed into a corner to do so. They know the Susan Harjo's of the world are just waiting in the wings to pounce, if given the opportunity to play their music on a limitless platform, and a PR disaster would ensue in short order that would force them to take a public stand on something they'd like left well  enough alone.

While, to me, the name is a non-issue, I have major issues with Daniel Snyder, and it's unfortunate they aren't under the Hard Knocks lens. I'm a firm believer that sunlight is the best disinfectant, and there's a mountain of organizational disfunction that needs to be dragged out of hiding and put under scrutiny. The only way we're going to rid ourselves of that scourge is via a good, old-fashioned scandal. Sooner or later, something's going to come up - someone that unscrupulous almost has to have a skeleton or two buried back in the deepest recesses of the closet...but a national vetting ought to serve as a reliable modus for shortening that event horizon.

Dodged the Hard Knocks bullet. I remain of the steadfast opinion that the savvy NFL marketing machine will avoid drawing any unnecessary national exposure towards the Redskins unless they are absolutely backed into a corner to do so. They know the Susan Harjo's of the world are just waiting in the wings to pounce, if given the opportunity to play their music on a limitless platform, and a PR disaster would ensue in short order that would force them to take a public stand on something they'd like left well  enough alone.

While, to me, the name is a non-issue, I have major issues with Daniel Snyder, and it's unfortunate they aren't under the Hard Knocks lens. I'm a firm believer that sunlight is the best disinfectant, and there's a mountain of organizational disfunction that needs to be dragged out of hiding and put under scrutiny. The only way we're going to rid ourselves of that scourge is via a good, old-fashioned scandal. Sooner or later, something's going to come up - someone that unscrupulous almost has to have a skeleton or two buried back in the deepest recesses of the closet...but a national vetting ought to serve as a reliable modus for shortening that event horizon.
You know i hadnt thought about it like this.  You are right.  Get them on  Hard Knocks next season!!

Send him some massage parlor coupons?

So Ereck Flowers is now playing OT in place of Trent, backed up by Geron Christian who hasn't been on the field yet, they've signed Corey Robinson at OT and still want to sign Donald Penn, but cheap. At this time they appear screwed. They've terribly screwed up the situation with Trent and it doesn't seem repairable. They failed to keep Nsekhe. With the LT and LG situations they now have, Keenum and Haskins are going to get hit in the back an awful lot.

I did like some of the comments about Robinson at HogsHaven

He's got experience with Flowers

Picking him off the ground?

So Ereck Flowers is now playing OT in place of Trent, backed up by Geron Christian who hasn't been on the field yet, they've signed Corey Robinson at OT and still want to sign Donald Penn, but cheap. At this time they appear screwed. They've terribly screwed up the situation with Trent and it doesn't seem repairable. They failed to keep Nsekhe. With the LT and LG situations they now have, Keenum and Haskins are going to get hit in the back an awful lot.

I did like some of the comments about Robinson at HogsHaven
Don't forget they seem to be rolling into full bungle mode when it comes to Scherff. I defended the franchise when they just kept rolling along with the franchise tag for Cousins because, hey all competent QB's make a ton of $ and I think his MIN deal showed that was the case. If they plan on rolling along with the franchise tag on an interior OLman they have lost the plot. Scherff was actually one of their best draft picks, is in the prime of his career, and they can't simply extend the guy before it reaches this point? Are surgeries and contract extensions this difficult for all the rest of the teams in the NFL?

Most GMs/coaches in the NFL are on a short leash and always looking over their shoulder making short sighted moves. In WAS the "GM"/coach have the longest leash imaginable...... and they still make one short sighted move after another.

Sign Schreff tomorrow.  Today even.  Back the truck up, dudes in his prime.

I'm all for the importance of offensive line and resigning studs.  Just not when they're 31.  Sorry Trent.  Hate to feel this way but we should move on or at the very least, not pull an Alex Smith here.
Don't know much about Williams injury history or how chronic the injuries were, but Jason Peters made the ProBowl at age 31, 32, 33 and 34.  Williams on-field performance shouldn't be a problem if he can stay healthy.

The offense finally had a good day in training camp.

Trey Quinn power spiked the football. Robert Davis heaved the ball so far and high that it landed well away from the practice area. On multiple occasions, Dwayne Haskins sprinted down a teammate for a big-play celebration.

There was plenty of revelry on the offensive side of the ball, as the unit clearly had its best day of camp.

“I think because we got whupped yesterday by the defense, guys just picked it up,” running back Chris Thompson said. “We had a lot of energy out there today. I don’t know, I just think things clicked and went our way today.

The team worked a ton of red zone periods with a large amount of success. All three quarterbacks — Haskins, Case Keenum and Colt McCoy — had strong showings, and Haskins had his best day. He was accurate, made good decisions with the ball and controlled things out of the huddle at the line of scrimmage. Those presnap responsibilities had not been his strongest attribute, but they seemed to go well Sunday.

Wide receiver Josh Doctson caught a couple of touchdowns during a short-field one-on-one period. Cam Sims continued to make spectacular catches. Davis’s celebration came after leaping over cornerback Adonis Alexander for a 20-yard touchdown. Rookie wide receiver Kelvin Harmon had a diving touchdown catch. Thompson looked quick and healthy.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/relationship-between-trent-williams-bruce-164335096.html

So if Williams sits out the entire year, I assume he remains under contract with the skins and isn't just free to go somewhere else?
Where have we heard this before?

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

As I reported months ago, relationship between Trent Williams and Skins is totally fractured. He doesnt trust Bruce Allen or the medical team there and made it known long ago he does not intend to play for them again
Remember the anonymously-sourced report awhile back that Cousins had vowed never to sign a contract with the Skins as long as Bruce Allen was here?  That was well before he became a free agent. Everyone denied it of course but it did ring true and that was the point at which I figured he'd never re-sign with the Skins.

And now Trent doesn't trust Bruce Allen.

I don't think the problem here is with the players.

Go to 23:40 at John Keim's podcast for news/opinion about Trent, Haskins, and Chris Thompson.

Short version: Trent hasn't avoided training camp before, he can be cut after this year and they owe him nothing but take a $12.7 million cap hit, organization has talked about Antonio Brown and LeVeon Brown using their situations to try to get better deals elsewhere, Trent has said nothing publicly, Keim has heard from others that this is all about the medical staff, believes Trent was scared by how the medical staff handled his scalp issue, some teammates probably know the real situation but won't talk publicly, Redskins probably don't want to extend his contract, if they extend Trent then Kerrigan will want an extension, doesn't think Trent will show up at training camp and doesn't think anything will happen soon, nobody on the roster right now is a viable starting option at LT except Williams..... Haskins has a boatload to learn but is progressing well, he asks a lot of questions and works hard, Chris Thompaon never felt healthy last year and is fine this year, Landon Collins is good in the locker room, Ereck Flowers is inconsistent and needs to move to guard, Donald Penn isn't lost for sure. And now a word from my friend, Joh Leahy, who guarantess to sell your home for your price or he'll buy it..................................

Jamison Crowder is already injured for the Jets, getting an MRI on his foot or ankle.

Maurice Harris is practicing with the first team for the Patriots.

PinkydaPimp said:
Any chance Trent can get Bruce fires?   :excited:
I wish, but I don't think so. A 2-14 or 3-13 season might do it, but we'll likely win 6 or 7 again and save Bruce's job while canning Gruden. 

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

From Inside Training Camp Live: The #Redskins are preparing for 2019 without Trent Williams returning, and the signing of veteran LT Donald Penn speaks to that.
Signing Robinson and Penn is like signing Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee. "We'll get 2 mediocre players instead of 1 good one".

Signing Robinson and Penn is like signing Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee. "We'll get 2 mediocre players instead of 1 good one".
If he refuses to play for the team, which from all accounts seems to be the case, there isn't much else the team can do is there?

I really hope Haskins sits most of this season.  Especially if trent isnt playing.  knowing the redskins he starts week 1.  :wall:

If he refuses to play for the team, which from all accounts seems to be the case, there isn't much else the team can do is there?
At this time, I don't think so. They made several bad decisions along the way leading to this: Letting Ty go, drafting Christian too high when he's still not ready in his 2nd year,  not knowing what was brewing with Trent until suddenly it was (or seems to be) too late, not enough decent backups. Similar to their inattention to the LG spot, which now also looks to be a weakness.

All 3 QB's are having some trouble in training camp due to "offensive line issues".  https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1157754825976766464

Montez Sweat, who hurt his lower leg in the middle of last week and who'll be held out of action Sunday yet again, will be OK, per Gruden. The rookie's calf is still bothering him, but the head coach didn't seem to be more concerned than he was originally. 
Got kicked in the calf.

Caleb Brantley, meanwhile, has a mild Lisfranc injury. Gruden didn't have a timeline yet on when the second-year pro will return, but those issues can be tricky and last quite a while.
That sounds like a lot of missed time to me.

Adonis Alexander is going to miss a few weeks with a hurt quad. The former supplemental pick hasn't done much here, and his spot on the roster certainly isn't secure because of that. However, in a weird way, this injury could potentially save him; they perhaps could put him on IR and not have to decide whether to cut him or not.
I don't think he'll make the team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/jay-gruden-maintains-montez-sweat-ok-two-more-defenders-will-miss-time

Unfortunately 980 is putting Kevin Sheehan back on the air weekdays from 7-10, starting tomorrow. I've heard enough of his droning to last a lifetime.

fatness said:
Unfortunately 980 is putting Kevin Sheehan back on the air weekdays from 7-10, starting tomorrow. I've heard enough of his droning to last a lifetime.
Thats good news. I won't listen but I like Kevin. I was a huge 980 guy for years and years but with podcasts I just don't have the need anymore. 

So... Any word on the wr depth in practice?
Top 3 WR's on depth chart are Doctson, Richardson, Quinn.

McLauren has been looking good

That link covers camp yesterday. I had to laugh at this about Apke, who seems to be picking up where he left off last year.

JP Holtz being used as fullback. Samaje Perine on play before with a single cut and gone on the left side of he line. Troy Apke bit too hard coming down and was out of position when Perine got outside

Training Camp Schedule

Tuesday, Aug. 6 1:35 p.m. Practice
Saturday, Aug. 10 1:35 p.m. Practice
Sunday, Aug. 11 9:45 a.m. Practice

Preseason Schedule

Week 1 - @ Cleveland Browns — Thursday, August 8th 7:30pm
Week 2 - vs. Cincinatti Bengals — Thursday, August 15 7:30pm
Week 3 - @ Atlanta Falcons — Thursday, August 22 7:30pm
Week 4 - vs. Baltimore Ravens — Thursday, August 29 7:30pm

Redskins 2019 Schedule

Week 1: Sunday, September 8th 1:00pm(FOX) @ Philadelphia Eagles
Week 2: Sunday, September 15th 1:00pm(FOX) vs Dallas Cowboys
Week 3: Monday, September 23rd 8:15 pm(ESPN) vs Chicago Bears
Week 4: Sunday, September 29th 1:00pm(FOX) @ New York Giants
Week 5: Sunday, October 6th 1:00pm(CBS) vs New England Patriots
Week 6: Sunday, October 13th 1:00pm(FOX) @ Miami Dolphins
Week 7: Sunday, October 20th 1:00pm(FOX) vs San Francisco 49ers
Week 8: Thursday, October24th 8:20pm(FOX/NFLN/AMAZON) @ Minnesota Vikings
Week 9: Sunday, November 3rd 1:00pm(FOX) @ Buffalo Bills
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Sunday, November 17th 1:00pm(CBS) vs New York Jets
Week 12: Sunday, November 24th 1:00pm(FOX) vs Detroit Lions
Week 13: Sunday, December 1st 1:00pm(CBS) @ Carolina Panthers
Week 14: Sunday, December 8th 1:00pm(FOX) @ Green Bay Packers
Week 15: Sunday, December 15th 1:00pm(FOX) vs Philadelphia Eagles
Week 16: Sunday, December 22nd 1:00pm(FOX) vs New York Giants
Week 17: Sunday, December 29th 1:00pm(FOX) @ Dallas Cowboys

The only Reskins to average more than 3.5 yars oer carry were Keenum and Haskins.  Link

Hasins needs as much playing time in the preseason games as they can possibly give him. It's not like Keenum or McCoy can sharpen up enough in the preseason to make even a +1 difference in the win total for the year so let the rookie play as much as he can. It's obvious the abiliity is there and obvious he needs all the work he can get.

Standouts tonight (based on partial viewing): Jimmy F. Moreland, Holcumb (for one play that eventually saved a TD), Tim Settle.

Users who are viewing this thread