What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

Jump out to a 20-7 lead on the road against the division favorite.  Too bad they don't have a powerful veteran running back on the roster who can move the chains, chew clock and keep the ball out of Wentz's hands.🤣
Hey Guice could have probably done a fine job too (I know you were referring to AP) but again, coaching and play calling. It matters. We SUCK at it. 

And before someone says Case threw 380 yards remember the V Davis play was a freak thing that was all Davis. And the one bomb he did connect with McLaurin obviously helped his stats a ton. 10 carries just isn't enough for Guice. And seeing as how they were UP in the first half, no excuse that he didn't have more carries. Once it got out of hand in the 3rd quarter sure...but uh. Did I mention how much I hate being a Redskins fan??  :bag:

McLaurin was fun to watch. 5-125-1 in his first game. Could have been close to 200 and 2 TDs. Nice debut. Excited to see him and other young players progress. 

Time start to Haskins. Case blew several easy scores today when McLaurin was in front of the secondary. And I can't wait until we have a new coach. He's the most predictable and least creative play caller I can remember. I knew they were going to lose this game early in the 3rd quarter. McLaurin could have had a MONSTER day too. And too bad they went away from Guice too early...but it was expected. 
Na.  Let Haskins learn.  This team is a train wreck.  Need some stability before throwing him in there. 

How about we start him once or if Trent returns? I see your point though for sure 
That would be the earliest i would consider it.  Still i think the halfway point at least.  Then we see what’s up. 

On the plus side we can see what these young wrs are about in the meantime

1. The announcers mentioned that Trent might be back next week. What was that based on?

2. This team isn’t doing squat this year. Every loss is getting closer to Gruden being out of here. 

3. No reason to play Haskins until the 2nd half of the year. IMO

Anyone know why Gruden went to the prevent defense in the 2nd quarter?

They keep signing the highest priced defensive players in the offseason but they don’t seem to get any better??? 🤷‍♂️ 

Gruden getting destroyed by twitter after the presser.  Basically said he will keep adp inactive unless they plan to run it 55 times in a game.  😂

I watched a little of the first half. Turned it off at halftime because I am just trained to believe they'll blow it coming out of the second half. Pavlov's dog response after years of seeing it happen. Sad I was right, happy I missed it.

11 penalties, 90 yards. Second half collapse. Abandoning the run game. Defense with communication issues.

Name the coach known for all 4.

Seth Walder ESPN Analytics 

The Redskins passed on 33 of the 36 (92%) of the snaps that Chris Thompson was on the field, per NFL Next Gen Stats. They passed on 12 of the 22 plays (55%) he was off it.

Gruden getting destroyed by twitter after the presser.  Basically said he will keep adp inactive unless they plan to run it 55 times in a game.  😂
I don't own AP anymore buts that's just ridiculous. It's not like the guy is washed up. He can still be a weapon for the Skins. Why even have him on the team then?

I feel like AP is publicly saying the right things but is having his agent raise hell to get him cut behind it.

And the head coach costs the team yet another one.  Likable guy.  Not a good HC.

His issue is very simple ... his judgment is clouded by his stubbornness.  So if it's workin, why change anything.  If it's not working, the team just has to execute better. 

This has led to recent personnel decisions like keeping Colt McCoy at all, keeping Perrine for too long, keeping Doctson for too long, and benching AP this week.  It has led to him having defensive coordinators that can't take his job rather than those that are good.  He continues to believe in the pass, and his run plays are horrendous.  They are readable by the defense.  His teams have forever been penalized more than most teams.

For every team, the drops and bad throws happens.  Missed blocks and missed coverages happen.  Good coaches overcome it with having more in their play book arsenal.  You telling me Andy Reid and Bill Bellichek wouldn't win with this team?  They would.  They would figure out what works and get it done, rather than worrying about the stats their system produces.

Some of this stubbornness comes from above, particularly Bruce Allen.  And filters down.  But with Gruden you can see it in his brother too.

I like the guy.  I'd want to play golf with him and hang at a bar with him.  As far as a coach.  He's several steps behind with his playbook and his judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the head coach costs the team yet another one.  Likable guy.  Not a good HC.

His issue is very simple ... his judgment is clouded by his stubbornness.  So if it's workin, why change anything.  If it's not working, the team just has to execute better. 

This has led to recent personnel decisions like keeping Colt McCoy at all, keeping Perrine for too long, keeping Doctson for too long, and benching AP this week.  It has led to him having defensive coordinators that can't take his job rather than those that are good.  He continues to believe in the pass, and his run plays are horrendous.  They are readable by the defense.  His teams have forever been penalized more than most teams.

For every team, the drops and bad throws happens.  Missed blocks and missed coverages happen.  Good coaches overcome it with having more in their play book arsenal.  You telling me Andy Reid and Bill Bellichek wouldn't win with this team?  They would.  They would figure out what works and get it done, rather than worrying about the stats their system produces.

Some of this stubbornness comes from above, particularly Bruce Allen.  And filters down.  But with Gruden you can see it in his brother too.

I like the guy.  I'd want to play golf with him and hang at a bar with him.  As far as a coach.  He's several steps behind with his playbook and his judgment.
To be fair, the Washington offense didn't really have a chance to do much in the 2nd half.  The Eagles had a couple of really long, time eating drives.  And when Washington was still in it and could have kept the game close, Donald Penn had 2 penalties (the chop block was a killer).  

I get your frustration but please let me clarify one thing, don’t ever put Reid and Bellichek in the same sentence when referencing great coaching. 

And this is why you ease him back.

Sources: #Redskins RB Derrius Guice had an MRI this morning on the other, non-ACL knee and he’s likely to miss some time. The hope is he does not need surgery, but the team is doing a full evaluation. He gained 18 yards on 10 carries, looking like he wasn’t himself.

And this is why you ease him back.

Sources: #Redskins RB Derrius Guice had an MRI this morning on the other, non-ACL knee and he’s likely to miss some time. The hope is he does not need surgery, but the team is doing a full evaluation. He gained 18 yards on 10 carries, looking like he wasn’t himself.
If he was injured in the second half, and we didn't have a suitable back up because of Jay's decision...then that's roster mismanagement on a massive, game-sinking scale.  Jay can't be fired fast enough for me.

If he was injured in the second half, and we didn't have a suitable back up because of Jay's decision...then that's roster mismanagement on a massive, game-sinking scale.  Jay can't be fired fast enough for me.
Yea I’m done.  Get him gone.  Thanks just don’t understand why you would do that first game coming back from that injury with barely any preseason playing time.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/09/morgan-moses-on-ap-not-dressing-its-a-slap-in-the-face/

Morgan Moses has publically called out the coaches on the AP situation.  Several related items:

1. Gruden is in serious danger of losing the team, if he has not already.  Apparently other veterans are also upset over this.  Yes, Gruden has kept the team with him in the past, but this feels different.

2.  Last year we got rid of D.J. Swearinger for calling out coaches.  Will Jay release Morgan Moses for this now?  If he does, then we may challenge MIami for the # 1 pick.

3.  Jay Gruden needs to be fired.  They should do it now.  Yeah, with Gruden maybe we go 5-11 instead of 3-13, but ... who cares.  Get his dumb, stubborn, doppy face off the sidelines.

All that said, Bruce and Dan will probably give him a 5 year extension...

Decent articlee by Craig Hoffman: https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-promising-first-half-turns-into-eerily-familiar-loss  Numerous things in the article have been said over and over the last several Gruden years:

The Eagles started their comeback by running the ball right up the gut time after time on their opening drive of the second half.
The Redskins had 11 penalties. It's one of the things that killed them last year. It slaughtered them on Sunday.
The biggest disappointment, though, for Washington on Sunday was the pass rush. It was completely non-existent. The only sack came from Cassanova McKinzy, who tackled Carson Wentz on a scramble just behind the line of scrimmage. It wasn't really even a sack. They had a whopping four pressures on the day, which is part of the reason they produced zero turnovers.

When asked about what they could do to get more pressure, Gruden said, simply, "rush better."
Meanwhile on defense, it was a story of miscommunication again in the secondary. "When (Jackson) is on the field, you'd wanna err on the side of covering him," Gruden said of the blown coverage that let the one-time Redskin free. Multiple secondary players confirmed it was a late check that didn't make it all the way out to Josh Norman.

Norman was in the original man coverage call. The call was changed to a Cover 3 zone, which would have put him right where Jackson wound up running open instead of leaving two players for Montae Nicholson to try and cover.

It's not anyone's 'fault,' in the sense that you can't blame Norman for missing something so late before the snap. It's a strategic error to try and flip the coverage at that point. If it's gonna happen, it's gotta be communicated better.

Skins waived Greg Strohman (injured), Waived TE  J. P. Holtz, terminated contract of LB Darrell Williams (on PS), signed DL T. Y. Mcgill, signed  CB Simeon Thomas.

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1171533645229641733

Kareem Copeland‏Verified account @kareemcopeland

Source: #Redskins DL Jonathan Allen had a second opinion on his sprained MCL today. Results were positive, avoided a scare. Timeframe still in the air, but not expected to be a long term thing.
https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1171568715516788739

I think I heard Robert Davis is back on the PS. 

Also, speculation that cutting Holtz means Reed will be ready to play this week.

I cringed when I heard Gruden's presser and he called out the defense. I believe a reporter asked him about what they could do better next time and he replied "play better defense". 

Hey guys, I'm looking for a RB3/4 and both Peterson and C. Thompson are available in my league.  Any opinions on which one to pick up?  Wait until there is some indication Peterson will actually play (how does he not at this point) or just go with a share-time like Thompson?  No ppr league unfortunately.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a RB3/4 and both Peterson and C. Thompson are available in my league.  Any opinions on which one to pick up?  Wait until there is some indication Peterson will actually play (how does he not at this point) or just go with a share-time like Thompson?  No ppr league unfortunately.
Peterson has been named the starting RB.  The other backs (Thompson/Smallwood) are more 3rd down backs, so AP looks to get most of the carries on 1st and 2nd down.  Guise is out. While vs. Dallas is not an easy matchup, having a legit starting RB as RB3 is pretty good.  I'd play AP in that role.  Also, he showed us something last year.  He's tough and I think he'll be running with purpose after being deactivated last week.  Dallas is good so probably won't blow up, but may be worth it as RB3.

Thompson is good as well but his contributions are less predictable.  I'd go with Peterson.

I think I heard Robert Davis is back on the PS. 

Also, speculation that cutting Holtz means Reed will be ready to play this week.
Davis is back which is great but heard on 106.7 the fan just now that Reed is still not cleared.  We heard all last week that Jay was "optimistic" so I'm not expecting anything yet.  I still think Reed should retire.  Yes, it will hurt the Skins in the short run.  But I just can't stomach the idea of Reed being out of his head by age 40...it's not right.

Why do I cringe when the Redskins medical team gets a second opinion and it results in a player being rushed back too soon?

They need to be conservative with Guise and Allen at this point.  We're not winning the Super Bowl this year.  Protect your investments...

Rick Snider wants Manusky  fired now, which I can agree with. He also wants them to promote Rob Ryan to DC, whic I think would be horrible. He's failed at DC everywhere he's been.
I just want them to clean house.  We have some good young talent on our team.  I don't think we are doomed intermediate term.  But we need a general turnover of most of the coaching staff...

Latest word is that Guice is seeing Dr. James Andrews today for a second opinion. Assumption is that he's headed for surgery which would mean missing 6-8 weeks.

Latest word is that Guice is seeing Dr. James Andrews today for a second opinion. Assumption is that he's headed for surgery which would mean missing 6-8 weeks.
sigh.  I hope when hes back they ease him back in, let him get some confidence then a full off season healthy. 

Guess Gruden is going to have rely on his "I formation" back.
The best case scenario might be that Peterson runs well the next several weeks and they can trade him at the deadline to a contender. Then maybe Guice comes back and can stay healthy, or they just sign some random off the scrap heap, and they start to work in Haskins and we get a good glimpse at the future the second half of the season.

The best case scenario might be that Peterson runs well the next several weeks and they can trade him at the deadline to a contender. Then maybe Guice comes back and can stay healthy, or they just sign some random off the scrap heap, and they start to work in Haskins and we get a good glimpse at the future the second half of the season.
yea.  i think if we can get some good insight into the young guys later this season it will set us up well.  Maybe after the mid point let haskins in if/when the games get out of hand. 

Also is trent really coming back or na?  i feel like they said that during the broadcast but i havent seen anything about it.  hoping we can still trade him for picks. 

Guess Gruden is going to have rely on his "I formation" back.

At least AP is a professional. Gruden, eh, not so much.
I think not activating AP is a mistake but to play devils advocate, AP is a one dimensional back. Granted, one of the best to ever do it but he does limit your offensive versatility. 

If you’re not handing him the ball he’s basically useless. He just isn’t a good pass blocker or receiver out of the backfield. 

Personally I would have started AP and used him in the play action game but my offensive philosophy is different than Gruden’s west coast scheme. 

I think not activating AP is a mistake but to play devils advocate, AP is a one dimensional back. Granted, one of the best to ever do it but he does limit your offensive versatility. 

If you’re not handing him the ball he’s basically useless. He just isn’t a good pass blocker or receiver out of the backfield. 

Personally I would have started AP and used him in the play action game but my offensive philosophy is different than Gruden’s west coast scheme. 
I would have personally activated AP as well.  I can see the devils' advocate position.  It was Gruden's post-game comments that I took the most issue with.

Yeah, the REAL best case scenario is that AP runs so well that Gruden is exposed as being completely incompetent and gets fired.  (And then I woke up).  🤣

Seriously, there was a rumor that Gruden wanted to CUT AP before season.  Can you imagine if he would have cut AP, only to see Guise go out for 2 months?

Oy vey...

Every week last year and this year I've been hoping to see the supposedly-good defensive line the Skins have, and every week they get gashed by the run and generate little QB pressure. It's become a pattern and now the WaPo has an article on it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/10/redskins-say-they-have-great-defensive-line-numbers-dont-show-it/?noredirect=on  Not a pretty picture there.

I don't know if it's scheme, bad coaching, or the players but when the problem continues from one year to the next I have to believe it's coaching and scheme. The Eagles tore them up rushing and Dallas is likely to do it even more.

Why the hell did they play prevent defense the whole second half when they had a 17-0 lead to start?

Every week last year and this year I've been hoping to see the supposedly-good defensive line the Skins have, and every week they get gased by the run and generate little QB pressure. It's become a pattern and now the WaPo has an article on it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/10/redskins-say-they-have-great-defensive-line-numbers-dont-show-it/?noredirect=on  Not a pretty picture there.

I don't know if it's scheme, bad coaching, or the players but when the problem continues from one year to the next I have to believe it's coaching and scheme. The Eagles tore them up rushing and Dallas is likely to do it even more.

Why the hell did they play prevent defense the whole second half when they had a 17-0 lead to start?
i have wondered this for years.  i suspect partially the issue is when the offense doesnt sustain drives the Defense will get tired quicker.  But it does sound like conditioning is a factor.  i also feel like we end up losing one person and then cant recover the integrity of the system.  I blame Bruce and Danny boy.  :shrug:

Bears signed Holtz. Gruden is putting a lot of faith in Reed coming back.
This team depends on oft-injured players every year and it's usually a mistake. Reed has a history of coming back slowly from concussions and other injuries. One year (anyone remember?) he was "hoped" to be back every week for 6 or 7 weeks before he played again.  And I'm with you -- if he's too competitive to retire the team should advise him to do so, reach an injury settlement, and move on.

This team depends on oft-injured players every year and it's usually a mistake. Reed has a history of coming back slowly from concussions and other injuries. One year (anyone remember?) he was "hoped" to be back every week for 6 or 7 weeks before he played again.  And I'm with you -- if he's too competitive to retire the team should advise him to do so, reach an injury settlement, and move on.
such a great football city too.   It's just a shame.

And in today's "Lucy starts pulling back the football" news:

Ben Standig‏Verified account @BenStandig

While there's time before Sunday's game, there's now less optimism about Redskins TE Jordan Reed making his season debut against the Cowboys, per source

Users who are viewing this thread