What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (9 Viewers)

Could’ve been started by Dan to gauge fan reaction. Everyone needs to remember that Dan is still here. Don’t let him fool us into thinking Bruce was the only problem. 
I agree, DGreen.  

I think Dan and company was just putting out feelers to see how the fanbase was reacting to keeping Bruce around.  

It was time for parting of ways. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p18yIpkjBg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder for how many years Bruce Allen has been a puppet with Dan Snyder actually making personnel decisions.  Snyder probably had to promise to stop meddling to have gotten Rivera.

I wonder for how many years Bruce Allen has been a puppet with Dan Snyder actually making personnel decisions.  Snyder probably had to promise to stop meddling to have gotten Rivera.
Well if you remember when Gibbs came back the 2nd time, he had full control. So its POSSIBLE Dan is willing to step back, and you'd think at this point, he'd have no choice because of the pile of dung he's made this franchise into during the last 10-15 years. I doubt any coach and GM comes here without that guarantee. 

Well if you remember when Gibbs came back the 2nd time, he had full control. So its POSSIBLE Dan is willing to step back, and you'd think at this point, he'd have no choice because of the pile of dung he's made this franchise into during the last 10-15 years. I doubt any coach and GM comes here without that guarantee. 
Schottenheimer and Shanahan had those guarantees. 

Schottenheimer and Shanahan had those guarantees. 
Yeah but Gibbs was probably the only guy Snyder respected and loved so much he actually kept up his end of the bargain. I'm not sure he did with those 2....don't you think he meddled there as well or no? 

Yeah but Gibbs was probably the only guy Snyder respected and loved so much he actually kept up his end of the bargain. I'm not sure he did with those 2....don't you think he meddled there as well or no? 
Yeah, that's my point. Dan giving full control to Rivera today means very little about what things will be like in the future.

I get the sense that Dan has trusted three people since becoming the owner: Gibbs, Cerrato, and Allen. Yes, he eventually fired Vinny and Bruce, but he trusted them so much that he kept them around well beyond what was reasonable. I think he still trusts Gibbs and I assume consults with him all the time.

His Marty trust and granting of full power lasted until an 0-5 start.

Shanahan fell apart because Dan sided with the rookie QB who would then be gone a few years later.

https://twitter.com/Boss_Hogg_81/status/1211501476692086784?s=20

Whats this?  Might Gibbs be taking a GM or president role? 
Doubt it. That picture popped up last night. It's not a picture from Ashburn today, if that's what people are thinking. Gibbs lives in Charlotte. My guess is this is just some random picture from a while ago. But, I do believe Gibbs talks to Dan a lot and wouldn't be shocked if Gibbs recommended Rivera to Dan and maybe even helped sell the Redskins to Rivera.

But the man works like he's 40 with a pregnant wife and 4th kid on the way ;) But yeah, I get what you are saying...
Not sure how much he works these days. Maybe he still does put in a ton of work. My understanding was that he had mostly passed on the NASCAR leadership to his son, JD, who actually passed away this year.

Michael Silver‏Verified account @MikeSilver

Ron Rivera and his wife Stephanie are on a flight to Northern Virginia. He should be the next coach of the Redskins within the next 3 hours.

michael phillips‏ @michaelpRTD

Dwayne Haskins says he hopes Kevin O’Connell stays. Has enjoyed working with him.

6:36 AM - 30 Dec 2019
JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Seems pretty clear he’s staying

8:23 AM - 30 Dec 2019 from Ashburn, VA
I'm fine with O'Connell staying as OC. Haskins is progressing under him.

i think between Allen and the training/medical staff getting fired, that may be enough for Trent to go.  And tbh, if it wasnt for Trent im not sure this would have happened.  Thank you Trent!

Charles Robinson‏Verified account @CharlesRobinson

7. On #Redskins, Bruce Allen is completely out because there were clear signs that quality GM candidates wouldn’t commit with him being under the roof in any capacity. I think Dan Snyder would have liked to keep him in the fold for stadium purposes, but it wasn’t going to work.

I think the Washington Redskins hired the most qualified person in Ron Rivera. I understand some fans will not be excited but he did not embarrass himself running Carolina after taking over for a guy who steered the Panthers to a Super Bowl in John Fox. He was able to fill his shoes and I expect him to be the best coach Washington has had since Joe Gibbs back in the 80s, not the 2nd go around although i could argue he was as good as anyone else they tried to hire a long the way. 

I knew Rivera would be gobbled up quickly. I'm not as negative on Snyder as others. Some of his criticism doesn't involve the kind of tampering you see in places like Dallas. So what Snyder likes to eat dinner with his QB or higher paid players, he's not having meetings with his coaches Monday Morning and offering plays to put in the playbook. 

Rivera will be solid, I do question sitting on Haskins if you can get a generational talent at QB but we'll see what their plan is. 

Great Hire!!! Coach is everything right now in the NFL. Of anyone out there, I think Rivera was well qualified and Carolina went 0-4 after he left, the team quit on the Carolina owner, all you need to know IMHO. 

Rushing Offense last 3 seasons...

27th, 17th, 22nd, look for big improvement in their running game. I expect the OL to be built strong from the inside out to the Tackles. 

I would expect Washington to be very active on any free agent QBs that could push Haskins or help him along. 

I do not expect the Redskins to look a thing like they did under Gruden, they will have an identity and Ron Rivera is good at having finger pointer aimed at him, he absorbs a lot of heat for his players and they will love him for doing that. He is the type of coach players want to play for and know that Rivera has their back.

I hate to say it but we might need to slow down with Rivera talk...

#Redskins PR just announced there will not be a press conference today. And it was also reported negotiations with Rivera "moving slower than expected" 

I hope the deal gets done though. 

I hate to say it but we might need to slow down with Rivera talk...

#Redskins PR just announced there will not be a press conference today. And it was also reported negotiations with Rivera "moving slower than expected" 

I hope the deal gets done though. 
:sadbanana:

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman 4m4 minutes ago

Update on Santos from Kareem. He's safe. These days are really hard. This kinda thing happens to the best of us.
Kareem Copeland‏Verified account @kareemcopeland

Looks like the decision on director of pro personnel Alex Santos was not finalized. He was told at a late afternoon meeting that he's safe. That's on me. Lots of moving parts today. Still, that's on me.

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman

As has been the plan all day, there will be no afternoon press conference in Ashburn. We'll have at least one night's notice. So if a deal gets done tonight, they could send out a notice for tomorrow. If not, probably skip New Years Day and we'll be back here Thursday.

Unusual. No lackey to do this for him.

Grant Paulsen‏Verified account @granthpaulsen

Dan Snyder is running the house-cleaning show solo today. He is handling exit conversations with departing staffers like Larry Hess in his office at the park. Used to be other people to do that but with Allen out and other changes in the works it's his show today.

So happy to see Bruce gone.  I can wear my Dave Butz jersey proud again. 

Yes the owner is a disaster.  But a good GM/coach combo can hide disfunction at the very top.  Plenty of teams win with bad owners.  Plenty of companies make money without good CEOs.  They are just judged good owners and CEOs once the team/company wins.  Pair a good GM with a good coach and things can happen despite Dan.

Allen had to get out of the building for anything to work right.  He could always get his paws back on the important decisions if he was anywhere near Ashburn.  Sold his McLean house in September after it being on the market over 3 years so the writing was on the wall.

I don't know why Rivera would take this job yet though.  Seems to me there are a lot of better options.  Redskins probably need to get a GM ASAP so the new coach knows what he's gonna work with.  I wouldn't take the coaching job until GM was decided

From the Strange New World category:

Rudy Gersten‏ @DCBarno

Fred Smoot just reported on 980 that Dan Snyder and Ron Rivera are currently at dinner...with Barack Obama.
And something any of us could have said:

PFTCommenter‏ @PFTCommenter  PFTCommenter Retweeted Rudy Gersten

Smart move by Barack going out in DC with Dan Snyder, ensuring your allways going to be the least likely to be poisoned at ur table

Rivera has to be good news for Guice, no?
Good for the running game most likely. They sure as hell had a good running game for years in Carolina.

Good for Guice in particular? Depends on whether he can ever stay on the field. Peterson's still good and respected in the locker room, and Bryce Love will be ready some time next year after his serious injury.

I hope to god Rivera goes to a 4-3 defense. Montez Sweat is built for that. In the last game of the season they seemed to be in 4-3 more often. They have Allen, Payne, and Ionaidis, and if they draft Chase Young they're going to have a good 4-3 D-line. I do like Kerrigan, but he's going to want more dollars than they should spend on him. But if they do the d-line would be even better. 

This chapter in Redskin history is called "Trent Williams Was Right".

Bruce Allen was so destructive for so long and nobody could do anything about it. The Skins had a horrible season this year, completely set up by Bruce Allen. A lazy and stubborn head coach who ran a complicated offensive scheme, cared nothing about  defense, and hired bad defensive coordinator after bad defensive coordinator. Bruce Allen put him there. 3 QB's -- 2 aging vets, McCoy who can only play 3-5 medocre games until he's injured again, and Keenum who's a jouneyman and who only seemed to grasp the offense a bit after Gruden was gone -- and Haskins, a rookie QB who Gruden wanted nothing to do with and purposely denied meaningful practice time. Bruce Allen put them all there. And even then, after 9 other years of terrible decisions for the team, I think Allen may have survived by blaming others.

But running off the team's best and most-respected player, who refused publicly to play for the team while Allen was there, tilted the balance and Bruce Allen finally had to go.

Thank you Trent Williams.

I hope to god Rivera goes to a 4-3 defense. Montez Sweat is built for that. In the last game of the season they seemed to be in 4-3 more often. They have Allen, Payne, and Ionaidis, and if they draft Chase Young they're going to have a good 4-3 D-line. I do like Kerrigan, but he's going to want more dollars than they should spend on him. But if they do the d-line would be even better. 
I totally admit, it will nice to head in to a draft for the first time in a decade where I won't be sitting at home on draft night, looking at the wife saying "Lets see how they screw this up this year" followed closely by "There you go."

I think we got the very best candidate on the market, this is a great start to our off-season. And I agree with fatness, we actually owe a TON of gratitude to Trent Williams. I think he's one of the main reasons Dan HAD to make the moves he's making. If he returns, and Guice is healthy next year, I think we can win the division. I really do (of course, that's not saying much in our crappy NFC East  :bag: )

I totally admit, it will nice to head in to a draft for the first time in a decade where I won't be sitting at home on draft night, looking at the wife saying "Lets see how they screw this up this year" followed closely by "There you go."
Yep, no brainer pick at 1.2 UNLESS someone offers us an RG3 like haul to move back. And the Panthers doing that wouldn't surprise me. 1.7 would still land us a top 2 OT, stud CB, or even WR if we went that route. If that netted us the Panthers 2nd, and a future 2021 1st I'd say its worth the trade down, otherwise take Chase and we become a stout D with proper coaching. 

Users who are viewing this thread