What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (13 Viewers)

pass rush looks like its going to be terrifying.  secondary looks like its going to be terrifying(in a bad way) :shrug:

i have low expectations though.  I just want to see progress from the team especially the young players. 

pass rush looks like its going to be terrifying.  secondary looks like its going to be terrifying(in a bad way) :shrug:

i have low expectations though.  I just want to see progress from the team especially the young players. 
We need a safety to replace Apke that's about it.

Defense is legit. Offense needs a LOT of work (and in their defense, no preseason and covid is going to have a lot of teams rusty) But I do think the defense is going to give them a chance in a lot of games this year. 

Saw a cool story that Rivera had to get an IV at half time and Haskins took over for him to give the speech.  Love that!

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hate your owner, gotta say Ron is a class act and good to see him get the win. Chase Young is going to dominate for years, and the defense looks great. I’m not a fan of Haskins, but overall it was a good win for you guys. Looks like you were underestimated and may be the second best team in the division! Congratulations.

Go Cowboys! 😁

That felt good. I know they had a ton of injuries but it was nice to see the DL live up to the hype...and it had been too long since we forced a divisional rival to bend to our will. Forgot what it felt like. 
yeah Eagles OL is down 3 of the potential starters, but you are right that it shouldn't take away from Skins DL. the offense is a work in process, but certainly are looking up

As much as I hate your owner, gotta say Ron is a class act and good to see him get the win. Chase Young is going to dominate for years, and the defense looks great. I’m not a fan of Haskins, but overall it was a good win for you guys. Looks like you were underestimated and may be the second best team in the division! Congratulations.

Go Cowboys! 😁
Slow down it’s week 1.  This isn’t a good team but i like the hard fought win and play by the youngins!

PinkydaPimp said:
Funny how having a coach that knows how to adjust at halftime can make a difference.  
Now imagine Gruden's halftime impact on the team and it's already real clear how bad Gruden was. 

Adrian Peterson had 98 yards today on (I believe) 14 carries.  Washington faced a lot of short yardage situations today. I still think that was a bad cit. Let's see how Peterson and Mckissock have done at the end of the season.

Adrian Peterson had 98 yards today on (I believe) 14 carries.  Washington faced a lot of short yardage situations today. I still think that was a bad cit. Let's see how Peterson and Mckissock have done at the end of the season.
I thought the same initially.  But being we are rebuilding im ok with letting the young guys play so that we know what we have.  granted we could have hung on to him for a few weeks and then traded him but im fine with it.

Yeah it's easy to say now... But we knew AD was still the best RB on this roster, just needed to start the youth movement. 

I'm still not sold on Haskins but he lead them to the win and did enough. On to Zona... Which is a horrible match up imo. Let's go WFT

During the halftime break, Rivera received an IV, as was planned by him and the team’s lead doctor and athletic trainer, to ensure he stayed hydrated on the sideline. He had begun cancer treatment only five days earlier.

“I basically told one of our operations guys, ‘Hey, look, I’m getting my IV so I might not be out in time, so somebody’s going to have to make sure somebody steps up to the podium,’” Rivera said. “Apparently Dwayne stepped up and it was a pretty ruckus one from what I understand.”

Haskins gave the halftime speech, reminding his teammates the Eagles were visitors.

“He got everyone riled up and put it on his back,” Moreau said. “Like a leader.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/washington-defeats-philadelphia-ron-rivera-debut/2020/09/13/61765272-f5d6-11ea-be57-d00bb9bc632d_story.html

Thoughts on yesterday's game -- curious to hear yours...

1.  So, so, fun to watch.  Listen, I know the WFT is still rebuilding, still has lots of holes and questions, and still may only win 2-5 games, but we have had such a hard time as fans, please allow yourself to be excited for that win.  In particular, it was so, so fun to watch Carson Wentz get pounded into submission (not an exxageration) by our defensive line.  

2.  Re: defensive line.  Count me among those who wanted us to trade down for OL and stop spending all our draft capital on the DL.  Well, I guess I was wrong.  Hey, I get it that Eagles were playing with a patchwork OL that wasn't that good. Still, rule # 1 is:  "win the battles you are supposed to win" so mission accomplished there.  This DL has the potential to be nasty.  Pretty much they won the game.  With so many pieces, even guys like Kerrigan look refreshed.  Very encouraged.

3.  Haskins -- was that Dwayne Haskins out there or Alex Smith.  178 yards, 1 TD, ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.  Some will say Haskins played average but I am guardedly optimistic, because he made important throws when he needed to, provided leadership, and did not turn it over.  On a team that is lead by it's defense, that's a nice start.  That said, he still has areas for growth.  Going back to last year, he appears accurate when he goes back and throws quickly in rhythm, timing routes.  But when he does long drop backs with time, he's less accurate.  Why is that?  I think Turner changed his plays subtly and it helped him.  Gruden never would have done that.  Haskins is still a work in progress and needs to get better.  But he is not the "bust" that some people proclaim.  He does have potential.  I like his growing maturity and leadership.

4. OL/Running Game -- the OL pass blocked ok but jesus we could not run the ball AT ALL.  Of all things in this game, I think that could come back to bite us the most.  AP for Detroit had 98 yards on 14 carries.  Did we total that much with 30+ combined carries?  Probably not.  That needs to get fixed.  is it the OL or the RBs?  I got tired of seeing Peyton Barber plow into the line for .5 yards per carry (definition of "touchdown vulture FFL fans")  Got to get corrected.

5.  Coaching.  Night and day.  How amazing is it to see a coaching staff that can make HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS.  God, I'm seeing how awful Gruden was as a HC, though I'm sure he'll be a good OC in JAX and he's off to a good start there.

6.  TE -- not saying he's a world beater, but Logan Thomas a significant upgrade over Sprinkle at least.  Thomas showed a good knack for making plays at the right time, not just the touchdown but that big 3rd down conversion when he lunged for a few more yards.  He may be serviceable, which is better than Sprinkle.  Sprinkle would have dropped several of those passes, guaranteed.  No, I do not like Jeremy Sprinkle.

So, objectively, there is good and bad.  I'm still expecting a sub .500 season but this team definitely showed that they have some character and are at least fun to watch.  Defense has potential to be a winning team.  Offense not there yet.  I still believe we need Offensive Lineman and that is the biggest thing to take this team to the next level.  I think Gibson may have potential as a runner with a better line.  We still need another receiver to go with McL and Sims Jr (Inman meh).  And Haskins needs to grow.

But it's a start.  We looked professional and actually played strong in the second half.  

Your pros and cons?

I'd say the run game is going to be key for our season. I'm not ready to give up on Gibson and the run game after just 1 game, but clearly it needs to get better. If we can rush for 100+ yards a game and give the offense balance (and longer time of possession) we really could be a solid team assuming the defense continues to wreck opposing QBs. 

Forget the win, schemes, or level of player talent.  

I care about one thing from yesterday, and that is Ron Rivera.  Him being in control of situations - players, coaches, sidelines, refs, play calling - all so refreshing after having coaches that were confused or forcing his schemes on the players.  The players looked prepared even when down 17-0.  Can you imaine Gruden coaching this team...everything would be confusion.  Riverboat has his Sh!+ together.

Didn’t watch the full game until last night. Wow, Wentz was bad. And it was nice that the defense was a key contributor to that. They punished him. 

I would actually be ok with it.
Soccer is the biggest sport in the world.  Most of those teams don't have a nickname as far as I know.   They just throw football club at the end of their names and it works fine.  I said long ago you don't need anything.  I admit I miss the fight song and it has the feel of expansion franchise right now.  But I think the fight song could be altered to get rid of the old name and keep the same tune.  Fans can easily build their support around the team colors.  If you are wearing burgundy and gold jersey, seems fairly obvious you support Washington.   Just like a bright red soccer jersey conjures up Man U.

Didn’t watch the full game until last night. Wow, Wentz was bad. And it was nice that the defense was a key contributor to that. They punished him. 
Wentz was bad, and I agree our defense was a big factor.  But upon retrospect, Pederson didn't really help out Wentz too much did he?  I mean, isn't the classic response to such a rush to get your QB on the move, roll him out, etc.  Or call very quick hitters?  They have those two big TEs...why not just roll out and pepper Ertz and Goddert.  It's like Pederson turned into Jay Gruden.  He would not adjust his offense but just kept dropping Wentz straight back until he got hammered.

This was the first game in a long time that I can honestly say Washington's in game adjustments were superior to their opponents...

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world.  Most of those teams don't have a nickname as far as I know.   They just throw football club at the end of their names and it works fine.  I said long ago you don't need anything.  I admit I miss the fight song and it has the feel of expansion franchise right now.  But I think the fight song could be altered to get rid of the old name and keep the same tune.  Fans can easily build their support around the team colors.  If you are wearing burgundy and gold jersey, seems fairly obvious you support Washington.   Just like a bright red soccer jersey conjures up Man U.
Almost all of them have an "unofficial" nickname

Wentz was bad, and I agree our defense was a big factor.  But upon retrospect, Pederson didn't really help out Wentz too much did he?  I mean, isn't the classic response to such a rush to get your QB on the move, roll him out, etc.  Or call very quick hitters?  They have those two big TEs...why not just roll out and pepper Ertz and Goddert.  It's like Pederson turned into Jay Gruden.  He would not adjust his offense but just kept dropping Wentz straight back until he got hammered.

This was the first game in a long time that I can honestly say Washington's in game adjustments were superior to their opponents...
John Keim shows at least one adjustment made on the TEs: https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1305874663495663618

Don't look now, but the virtual standings have Football Team in first place by 1.5 games over everyone in the division.

And Barkley looks like he's going to be out a long time if not the season....Dallas is beat up....this team really could go worst to first....

Haskins just isn't the answer. In today's NFL, if you can't throw at least 100 yards in the half, you have no business being on the field.  :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread