What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

I want no part of another Ohio State QB. Haskins looked great in that system too. Who’s the last QB to come out of that school and do well in the pros? I’ll wait.
You can probably rest a lot easier after the dog of a game Fields is having today. Horrid decision making on full display first time it isn't a total creampuff opponent.

You can probably rest a lot easier after the dog of a game Fields is having today. Horrid decision making on full display first time it isn't a total creampuff opponent.
I just want the Fields hype to keep rolling so that we have a chance to take Zach Wilson after the first two guys are gone...

I think Ron has made his mind on him already but I agree. At least try to salvage some trade value. If playing him leads to more losses and a higher draft pick, even better.
I believe Haskins will get another shot, just because it is the NFL.  But I think Smith is the QB in the near term, including next year.  If Haskins flops at his next shot, be it on the field or on the practice field when the public cannot see it, he will be the 2nd or 3rd string QB until his rookie deal is up.  Unless someone is willing to trade a 5th - 7th round pick for him.

Just for fun:  NFC East Strength of Schedule coming home...

https://www.giants.com/news/strength-of-schedule-nfc-east-logan-ryan-wife-marc-colombo-dave-deguglielmo

Strength of remaining schedules in tight NFC East race

Dallas Cowboys (3-7):  Football Team, Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 21-37-2 (.367)

Washington Football Team (3-7):  Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers, Eagles.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-29-1 (.516)

New York Giants:  Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Cowboys.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-28-1 (.525 combined winning percentage)

Philadelphia Eagles:  Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Cardinals, Cowboys, Football Team.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 34-26 (.567)

Notes: 

Dallas has the easiest SoS by a sizeable margin, with the Ravens being the only truly intimidating game.  For WFT, this makes this Thursday's game pretty much a "must win" if they have any playoff aspirations whatsoever.

The Giants currently hold a slight edge over the rest of the division with the 3-2 record against the NFC East. Both Philly and Washington are 2-2 in division play, while Dallas sits at 1-2.   Giants are also 2-0 vs. Washington Head to Head.  

Yes, I know, I know.  "No one in this division deserves to be in the playoffs."  "We suck and would be better off with a high draft pick."  "We will just be killed in the first round anyway."  etc.  To which I say:

1.  Lighten up, we watch football because it's fun.  And it's fun to have a shot.

2.  Even though we've struggled, maybe just maybe it's good for a young team to have something to play for, to learn to play games that "count."  Think about Kirk Cousins, he never truly learned to consistently rise to the occasion in the important moment.  Maybe this experience, with calm Alex Smith at the helm, will be good learning experience for our young players?

3.  Still think $$ says we win 2 more games TOPS and miss the playoffs but fun to have something to root for beyond draft pick...

If the Skins can shut down the running game like they have quite often this year, I think they have a solid shot to win this game. Even though I've honestly been in tank mode to get a franchise QB, I'm all in now. This division sucks so bad someone is going to be playoff bound with a losing record  :bag:  Why not us? 

MikeApf said:

https://www.giants.com/news/strength-of-schedule-nfc-east-logan-ryan-wife-marc-colombo-dave-deguglielmo

Dallas Cowboys (3-7):  Football Team, Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 21-37-2 (.367)

Washington Football Team (3-7):  Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers, Eagles.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-29-1 (.516)

New York Giants:  Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Cowboys.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-28-1 (.525 combined winning percentage)

Philadelphia Eagles:  Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Cardinals, Cowboys, Football Team.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 34-26 (.567)

Notes: 

Dallas has the easiest SoS by a sizeable margin, with the Ravens being the only truly intimidating game.  For WFT, this makes this Thursday's game pretty much a "must win" if they have any playoff aspirations whatsoever.

The Giants currently hold a slight edge over the rest of the division with the 3-2 record against the NFC East. Both Philly and Washington are 2-2 in division play, while Dallas sits at 1-2.   Giants are also 2-0 vs. Washington Head to Head.  

Yes, I know, I know.  "No one in this division deserves to be in the playoffs."  "We suck and would be better off with a high draft pick."  "We will just be killed in the first round anyway."  etc.  To which I say:

1.  Lighten up, we watch football because it's fun.  And it's fun to have a shot.

2.  Even though we've struggled, maybe just maybe it's good for a young team to have something to play for, to learn to play games that "count."  Think about Kirk Cousins, he never truly learned to consistently rise to the occasion in the important moment.  Maybe this experience, with calm Alex Smith at the helm, will be good learning experience for our young players?

3.  Still think $$ says we win 2 more games TOPS and miss the playoffs but fun to have something to root for beyond draft pick...
I agree 100% with you about the importance of winning the division vs tanking for high picks. I copied and pasted below my reply in the Eagles thread. As a Dallas fan I respect the job Ron has done in Washington and look forward to a hard fought traditional game tomorrow. Whoever wins deserves to take the East title and build on next year on a positive team triumph in a bad year. Hoping good luck that neither team comes away with injuries and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Copy & pasted

I think tanking games on purpose does way more damage than good. First off you are assuming that Philly, or ANY team is going to hit on their first round draft pick. That’s not anywhere close to a 100% guarantee (especially in Philly), and we all know you can’t predict the injury factor for any of them. So to say “let’s quit trying and lose games so we can draft higher than our division rivals” doesn’t guarantee a stud draft, just guarantees that you told your team they are losers. Cowboys drafted 17th last year and was gifted CeeDee. No way he should have fell to them, but good players fall all the time. Consequently the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Wadsworth types (showing my age now) end up busting to the teams who may also have told themselves “let’s quit and lose out, so to draft high”. So the difference between drafting 5/6/7 doesn’t really mean that much more success than drafting 18/19/20. However, for a team like Dallas I think the fact that they lost their leader, a QB who was leading the league and having a pro bowl year, but could still manage to fight to get better to the point they win the division- shows the team that they MATTER. That they fought the odds and weren’t told to be quitters. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coaches have in them and something to build on. Are the Cowboys or whoever wins the East going to get throttled and knocked out first round? Very probable. But a division title and a hard fought season that ends up with a 20ish draft spot seems much better than having a team that coaches, owners and players are a bunch of quitters hoping that their 5th round pick is the sole Savior to what ails them. Picks dont guarantee winners , but quitting guarantees losers. That is 100%.

I agree 100% with you about the importance of winning the division vs tanking for high picks. I copied and pasted below my reply in the Eagles thread. As a Dallas fan I respect the job Ron has done in Washington and look forward to a hard fought traditional game tomorrow. Whoever wins deserves to take the East title and build on next year on a positive team triumph in a bad year. Hoping good luck that neither team comes away with injuries and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Copy & pasted

I think tanking games on purpose does way more damage than good. First off you are assuming that Philly, or ANY team is going to hit on their first round draft pick. That’s not anywhere close to a 100% guarantee (especially in Philly), and we all know you can’t predict the injury factor for any of them. So to say “let’s quit trying and lose games so we can draft higher than our division rivals” doesn’t guarantee a stud draft, just guarantees that you told your team they are losers. Cowboys drafted 17th last year and was gifted CeeDee. No way he should have fell to them, but good players fall all the time. Consequently the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Wadsworth types (showing my age now) end up busting to the teams who may also have told themselves “let’s quit and lose out, so to draft high”. So the difference between drafting 5/6/7 doesn’t really mean that much more success than drafting 18/19/20. However, for a team like Dallas I think the fact that they lost their leader, a QB who was leading the league and having a pro bowl year, but could still manage to fight to get better to the point they win the division- shows the team that they MATTER. That they fought the odds and weren’t told to be quitters. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coaches have in them and something to build on. Are the Cowboys or whoever wins the East going to get throttled and knocked out first round? Very probable. But a division title and a hard fought season that ends up with a 20ish draft spot seems much better than having a team that coaches, owners and players are a bunch of quitters hoping that their 5th round pick is the sole Savior to what ails them. Picks dont guarantee winners , but quitting guarantees losers. That is 100%.
Well said!  Good luck tomorrow and Happy Thanksgiving...

All the talking heads think Dallas is going to win and in some cases, big. Guess Chase Young needs to introduce himself to Andy Dalton again  ;)

All the talking heads think Dallas is going to win and in some cases, big. Guess Chase Young needs to introduce himself to Andy Dalton again  ;)
Trust me, EVERYONE in the league knows Chase. Hopefully Dallas has a game plan, otherwise it will be Garrett Gilbert by half time lol. 

No way Dallas wins big, I’d say this should be a pick em game, either team winning on the final drive. Because it’s a home game and possibly an inspired game with the death of most of the teams close friend... Dallas 23 WFT 21

Two big wins over Dallas this year...almost makes the overall record bearable. We looked pretty good, even if Dallas made a couple of atrocious coaching decisions.

Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) This D is legit...and so young...they are just going to get better and better. Same with McLaurin and Gibson. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) 
A couple (or even one) cover corners would be useful...that's the one big weakness of this D.

Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) This D is legit...and so young...they are just going to get better and better. Same with McLaurin and Gibson. 
Well you guys are probably going to be a playoff team this year.  Looking like the cream of the crop in this division (especially now that you have a legit QB)

Well you guys are probably going to be a playoff team this year.  Looking like the cream of the crop in this division.
While I agree I also acknowledge we'd only be in playoff position in this division. NFC East is just horrible. But I do think Washington fans have a lot of reason to have hope for this year and the future. Ron has been huge for this franchise. And Gibson and Young just HUGE draft hits. 

Yea, Football Team is probably the favorite at this point.  We'll see how the Giants do, but this win basically knocked Dallas out, which warms my Eagle heart.

Also agree that six wins could easily win this. I'm not sure Giants or WAS can get to seven.  Think Eagles cap at five.

SF is definitely winnable. Win that and WFT might be able to get to 7-9 with games against Carolina and Philly. 
I look at every game being a struggle.  We lost to the giants twice and the lions.  Heck, today’s game was actually very close most of the day.  It may have remained close If Mike McCarthy doesn’t make some of the most truly stupid in game decisions I’ve ever seen in my life.

That said what gives me some hope is that I think the team is making progress.  Antonio Gibson is growing into the roll and our three headed running game is getting better.  Like how Gibson, Barber and McKissic all contribute.  Alex Smith in charge helping the young guys at this point.

IF our defense can keep us close maybe a slightly improved Offense can steal one of these next three games.  7-9 would be a great accomplishment for this team.  Not predicting it but gives us something to shoot for, so maybe we can hit the ground running next year...

Fun game...

Yea, Football Team is probably the favorite at this point.  We'll see how the Giants do, but this win basically knocked Dallas out, which warms my Eagle heart.

Also agree that six wins could easily win this. I'm not sure Giants or WAS can get to seven.  Think Eagles cap at five.
Yeah it’s a crap shoot how many game skins will win.  7-9 would be over achieving, 6-10 would be more likely, and 4-12 still quite possible.  

I still think the main goal is to develop for next year but it’s sure nice to have a short term goal to shoot for...

MikeApf said:

With the win yesterday, if Football Team beats Philly, they are in really good shape with a 5-11 record.  Philly does is not likely to win 2 of their remaining games.  Dallas would need need 4 wins since they lose on a tie breaker.  So can the Giants win 2 of their last 6?  Bengals and Cowboys are the most likely, and maybe the Browns.  

I think we can beat the Niners and Philly. That would put us in good shape. Unfortunately I think the Giants still may be in the driver’s seat here, as they have been playing better of late and their schedule is easier going forward.

Yesterday was glorious though. Given that I hoped the Skins weren’t tempted to draft Fields or Lance, picking up a few wins here at the expense of draft order isn’t as much of a hit as it would be in most years. Might just save them from themselves. Somebody has to win this garbage division. Why not us?

I can definitely see that WFT has a chance of getting to 6 wins.  SF, Car, Philly — win 2 of 3 is possible

But it really worries me that giants could also get to 6 and win the tie breaker.  If they win anything beyond Cincinnati and Dallas that could be enough.

WFT has to be of the “take care of your own business” mindset and try to run SF, Carolina and Philly.  But those games are not just winnable, they are also very losable. None of those teams “suck” and they all have very talented players.

A good test for a young team . . .

An interesting side not to Pitt-Balt being moved to Tuesday is that WFT all of sudden gets Pitt coming off short rest while we have extended rest.  Like that’ll make a lot difference!  But, better to have the advantage than not have it.

There is also the possibilty that they’ll move WFT-Steelers game to Monday.  And you know how well we play Monday night!😂

Smith has impressed...just with the leadership.  He's the best QB this team has right now.  Haskins simply doesn't have the mobility or intangibles that Smith does. Maybe he will get some of them by osmosis.

But one play really irked me in that Dallas game, and it shows why Smith was never as good as Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.  (I know...who is...but the play still irks me).

Washington was up like a TD and had the ball.  DAL defense is totally confused.  They have the wrong guys on the field and half of their D is within 20 yards of their sideline trying to figure it out.  WAS offense is set and lined up.  Rather than quick snapping and finding the uncovered WR (there were 2 of them with not one single CB within 15 yards of them), Smith waits for DAL to get organized.  Then decided what to do.  What he does is throw a crappy interception that is returned to like the 10 yard line.  If that interception is run all the way back, I think this game could have gone the other way.

Smith is a vet.  He should have quick snapped and slung the ball to either player on the right side of the formation.  At minimum they gain 15 yards.  Might have even gone all the way since DAL safeties were looking at their sidelines confused.

It's stuff like this that kept Smith from being great in SF or KC.  He's always had the talent and been above average.  His comeback is beyond words.  But the ability to go off schedule isn't there, which kept him from being far more than he was.  He has done this where he hasn't gone after backup CBs too.  Guy gets hurt, CB comes in game...a vet has to go after that.

Just my opinion.  He's a solid QB and guy, easily the best on the roster.   Just wish he would sense when there is an opening to take advantage of.  

I can definitely see that WFT has a chance of getting to 6 wins.  SF, Car, Philly — win 2 of 3 is possible

But it really worries me that giants could also get to 6 and win the tie breaker.  If they win anything beyond Cincinnati and Dallas that could be enough.

WFT has to be of the “take care of your own business” mindset and try to run SF, Carolina and Philly.  But those games are not just winnable, they are also very losable. None of those teams “suck” and they all have very talented players.

A good test for a young team . . .
Yeah the tie breaker with the Giants is a big concern. We really have to hope Danny Dimes gets back to his turnover prone ways and the Gmen drop some games they should win. They caught a huge break with Burrow getting knocked out for this week.

Philly I feel the most confident about getting a win of the three. Wentz is completely out of sorts and playing like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. And their coaching staff is doing him no favors by continuing to favor the pass over the run. Their o-line continues to pile up the injuries. Our D-line will feast. Considering we were the team who started the Iggles on their tailspin this year in week 1, I like our chances.

SF will be tougher, as young Shanny can scheme up offense regardless of the scrubs he has in there. The rush defense is going to really need to step it up that game.

Carolina will be the most interesting matchup of the three imo. Will Ron and Turner have any edge there knowing the Carolina defensive players well? We will see. You know the players will be fired up for Ron in that game. Obviously our odds go up if the Panthers do the smart thing and shelf CMac for the rest of the season.

We have some interesting weeks ahead of us, and it’s actually on the field for a change which is nice. Been a while since we could say that. 

Yeah the tie breaker with the Giants is a big concern. We really have to hope Danny Dimes gets back to his turnover prone ways and the Gmen drop some games they should win. They caught a huge break with Burrow getting knocked out for this week.

Philly I feel the most confident about getting a win of the three. Wentz is completely out of sorts and playing like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. And their coaching staff is doing him no favors by continuing to favor the pass over the run. Their o-line continues to pile up the injuries. Our D-line will feast. Considering we were the team who started the Iggles on their tailspin this year in week 1, I like our chances.

SF will be tougher, as young Shanny can scheme up offense regardless of the scrubs he has in there. The rush defense is going to really need to step it up that game.

Carolina will be the most interesting matchup of the three imo. Will Ron and Turner have any edge there knowing the Carolina defensive players well? We will see. You know the players will be fired up for Ron in that game. Obviously our odds go up if the Panthers do the smart thing and shelf CMac for the rest of the season.

We have some interesting weeks ahead of us, and it’s actually on the field for a change which is nice. Been a while since we could say that. 
I think Football Team gets to six. Giants have potential for six as well. Obviously that isn't great for ya...  But I think Football Team is the only one that *could* get to seven here. 

Eagles I think cap at 5 - maybe 4.

So - win Eagles, Panthers, 49ers.  It's doable. Not easy.

Well, in a plot twist that can only be described typical Skins, it now appears none other than old friend Colt McCoy could be a major player in the drama of the battle for the NFC Least throne. 

I still can’t believe Jay didn’t bring his boy down to Jax, but here we are. I honestly don’t know how to feel about this development and how it affects the our chances for the division. Danny Dimes was playing somewhat better recently, but he is still always a threat to completely give the game away. Colt isn’t going to add much offensively, but he’s not a turnover machine like Jones. You would hope this Jones injury would hurt the Gmen’s chances down the stretch, but I’m not so sure.

Well, in a plot twist that can only be described typical Skins, it now appears none other than old friend Colt McCoy could be a major player in the drama of the battle for the NFC Least throne. 

I still can’t believe Jay didn’t bring his boy down to Jax, but here we are. I honestly don’t know how to feel about this development and how it affects the our chances for the division. Danny Dimes was playing somewhat better recently, but he is still always a threat to completely give the game away. Colt isn’t going to add much offensively, but he’s not a turnover machine like Jones. You would hope this Jones injury would hurt the Gmen’s chances down the stretch, but I’m not so sure.
Giants are probably still the favorites since they have the tiebreaker, but if they slip up or WAS can pull a game out unexpectedly...

FWIW, I actually think you have a shot at an upset vs the Steelers. Moreso then the records would indicate anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread