What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

If Joe Flacco can win a SB, Cousins is PLENTY good enough to do the same. The Redskins aren't contenders because of their awful defense, it has nothing to do with the QB being able to move the ball. We'd like to see better red zone numbers, but still....
In the Ravens’ last 10 playoff games (since the 2010 season), Flacco is 196-of-327 for 2,563 yards, 24 TDs and 4 INTs (104.1 rating)…The Ravens are 7-3 in these postseason contests

In Baltimore’s last six playoff games (5-1 record), Flacco has thrown 17 TDs and 2 INTs...Completing 119 of 200 passes for 1,691 yards, he owns a stellar 111.1 QB rating.

When the pressure is up and the stakes are higher, Flacco elevates his play and limits his mistakes. That is pretty much the antithesis of Kirk Cousins.

Kirk Cousins: New deal will help me emerge as a leader

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/03/kirk-cousins-new-deal-will-help-me-emerge-as-a-leader/

Ugh, not a good look Kirk.  First you prove yoursself as a leader and THEN you ask for the big contract.  OK, you can ask for the contract now, because you can, but I mean, this idea that you can't relax and be a leader until a team ponies up?  You just have to have more confidence than that!

"It is better to be thought a fool in silence than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  This is why Bill Bellicheck's players never say anything about anything.  Bland bland bland or just shut your mouth.  Otherwise, you look stupid.

I remember Cooley making that excuse once the season ended. He said having the QB play on the franchise tag crippled his ability to be the team leader. Not sure I buy it, but it's an idea that's been discussed and I agree it's not the greatest to hear Kirk mention it.
Cooley used that excuse last year as well, and during the season after bad Cousins performances. I guess Cousins listens to the radio and decided to start repeating it.  Makes him look more like a teenage pop star than an NFL QB. I cringed when I heard it.

Well, I think it is official. I doubt I'll watch any NFL broadcast next year. It will be insufferable. The story will be the same no matter who's playing. I won't be able to stand it.

As he should.  Yes, I get it that players have to execute.  Yes, I get it that you gotta go with your strengths.  Yes, I get all that.  But situational football...you have the ball inside the 25 and a great kicker and you are up by 8.  You run the ball up the gut three times and kick the field goal.  None of this is to take away from NE's accomplishment, they are a great team and they earned the win, fair and square.  But Kyle helped them.   And Dan Quinn helped them.  Remember, Quinn is HC...he could of and should have overruled Kyle.

Wrap your mind around this.  The last two times NE has won the Super Bowl, their opponent has called pass on an obvious run down and met disaster.  Seattle INT at goal line and ATL sack/holding penalty combo.  Again, NE deserved to win, fair and square but "note to self:  run in obvious run downs when playing NE down to the wire!"

The other thing is, lots of OCs do what Kyle does.  Hell, McVay does what Kyle did and he is considered by the Chris Russells of the world the next Vince Lombardi. 

This isn't such a good look.

During a charity flag football game pitting Kirk Cousins’ team against a Doug Flutie-led squad, Cousins, 28, shoved a referee for failing to throw a flag in the game’s final seconds.

It was a rematch of last year’s Celebrity Sweat Flag Football Challenge, and Cousins was down 40-35 with just seconds left in the fourth when the altercation happened. Driving, Washington’s Cousins was attempting to lead his team to victory but the ball was given to a ref to spot. Someone on Flutie’s team swatted it away, and Cousins desperately sought a flag. So much so that he approached an official and pushed him.

Cousins’ team lost the game, and the ref who was shoved spoke with Deadspin about the matter.

“He (Cousins) was fired up because he was losing and running out of time,” he said. “Then the other team knocked the ball away while I was trying to set it for play. He wanted me to flag him for swatting it, but what he doesn’t know is that we were enforcing another penalty and it was going to give him another down. He never apologized or even showed any kind of regret. That’s OK, though...everyone else gets to see how he is.”

After the loss, Cousins failed to mention the shove.

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a bigger deal locally.
ESPN980 hosts are mostly Kirk fans. This morning's show featured "5 things the Redskins must do to appease Kirk Cousins", so they're not going to cover it except to say "look how competitive he is."

To me the big story isn't that he pushed the ref when he was losing --- it's that he didn't know what was going on in the game at the time.

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a bigger deal locally.
Well who locally is going to turn it into a big deal? Cooley and Kevin? Nope. Doc and B-Mitch? Definitely not. Czabe? Eh, he probably doesn't care enough. Grant and Danny? Hell no. Chris Russell? Zero chance. Dukes? Nope. The Junkies? Maybe.

So yeah, none of the local guys would want to say a bad thing about Kirk, so it won't happen. If that was Robert, would be talked about for days.

The Redskins’ offseason better improve, or everything could unravel next year , pretty good article by Mike Jones.

Washington has to hit and has to hit big, both in draft evaluations, free agency and the draft itself. The organization can’t afford any more of the swings and misses that dominated the past two free agent classes, or the recent head-scratcher draft picks.

Because so far, the 2017 offseason has not gone well. Already, this team has shown more signs of regression than positive developments.

You’d think after falling just one game short of a second playoff berth, this time should’ve been about regrouping, upgrading and fortifying. But instead, the Redskins have been scrambling.

Joe Barry was the sacrificial lamb after his talent-deficient defense underperformed too frequently in 2016. The Redskins thought they’d be able to bat their eyes and lure a big-name coordinator to replace Barry, but they guessed wrong. None of their top choices wanted the job, and they wound up promoting one of Barry’s assistants, Greg Manusky. Manusky does have a more-extensive defensive coordinator résumé than Barry, but it remains to be seen if he can get the job done.

New defensive line coach Jim Tomsula is well-respected around the league, so he should be an upgrade over Robb Akey. But just what is he going to have to work with? The team’s best defensive lineman, Chris Baker, is now a free agent, and he’s expected to want significantly more than the Redskins, who according to insiders, are only lukewarm on the home-grown talent, are willing to pay. Washington could very well have three new starters along the defensive line. But should anyone feel good about the Redskins’ chances of finding three difference-makers in free agency? Neither of their past two priority free agent D-line signings – Stephen Paea and Kendall Reyes – made it through a full season before getting benched and then cut.
Article goes on to say Gray gets mixed reviews as a coach for DB's but is not as good as their first choice, Pleasant. They didn't expect McVay to leave. Gruden's coaching will take a hit because he's going the playcalling again. Cavanaugh hasn't been an OC since 2008. They don't know what to do about Cousins, who Gruden desperately wants but is probably asking more money than anyone else will give him. They may lost Jackson and Garcon, so Gruden may be playing with a hampered offense when he thought he'd be playing for a contract extension.

There's more.

Man, if Josh Doctson was healthy we wouldn't all be so worried about the hit the passing game would take if Jackson and/or Garcon leave.

Man, if Josh Doctson was healthy we wouldn't all be so worried about the hit the passing game would take if Jackson and/or Garcon leave.
Personally, I'm not worried if one of the two leave.  I think if both leave then that's a lot to fill in.  But, I think if we retain one or the other, backfilling for the other one becomes more doable.  Remember, we still have Crowder, Reed and Vernon Davis who are all great receiving options.  We have had "an embarrassment of riches" with both Garcon and Jackson.  I think if we can get one of the two back in the fold we'll still have decent receiving options.  But, I don't know if we can afford both.

What happened? Thought he was off to the Eagles. 

Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham said Monday that Jackson told him he’s planning to return to Philadelphia next season. The two have been linked in recent months, hinting at a possible reunion, but Graham’s comments make it seem like a sure thing.

John Keim ESPN Staff Writer

Redskins center Kory Lichtensteiger announced his retirement today, a move that had been rumored for more than a month. Lichtensteiger started 75 games for Washington from 2010-16, playing guard and then eventually center. Injuries limited him the last two seasons.

Im not liking the drama im reading about between Bruce and Scott. 

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/02/10/jealousy-partially-to-blame-for-bruce-allen-muzzling-scot-mccloughan/

“There’s politics and all kinds of crazy stuff everywhere, but definitely [at] Redskins Park,” Jones said. “I think there’s a little bit of jealousy on Bruce’s part for the credit, from what I’ve been told by a number of people, a little jealousy on the part of the credit that Scot gets for them turning things around. You know, Bruce will look and be like ‘Well Trent Murphy had a great year, that was my draft pick. Morgan Moses had a great year, that was my draft pick.'”

“You’re kidding,” Junkies host Eric Bickel said. “It gets that petty? He says that to people?”

“Yeah,” Jones confirmed.

What happened? Thought he was off to the Eagles. 

Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham said Monday that Jackson told him he’s planning to return to Philadelphia next season. The two have been linked in recent months, hinting at a possible reunion, but Graham’s comments make it seem like a sure thing.
I don't know.  I always considered the DJax to Philly thing to be rumor and conjecture.  Not saying it won't happen -- it might happen; don't know if the Redskins will end up paying Jackson.  That said, I didn't consider the Philly rumor to be "certain" enough to ask what happened now...I still think he could end up anywhere, even in the AFC.

I don't know.  I always considered the DJax to Philly thing to be rumor and conjecture.  Not saying it won't happen -- it might happen; don't know if the Redskins will end up paying Jackson.  That said, I didn't consider the Philly rumor to be "certain" enough to ask what happened now...I still think he could end up anywhere, even in the AFC.
Looks like they are eyeing Alshon Jeffery right now.

The organization can’t afford any more of the swings and misses that dominated the past two free agent classes, or the recent head-scratcher draft picks.

Could not agree more with that statement, ESPECIALLY the head-scratcher draft pics. I really disliked the Doctson pick at the time. Unfortunately my dislike turned out to be even more founded than I had imagined with him not playing a snap and now having a mystery ailment.

MikeApf said:
Personally, I'm not worried if one of the two leave.  I think if both leave then that's a lot to fill in.  But, I think if we retain one or the other, backfilling for the other one becomes more doable.  Remember, we still have Crowder, Reed and Vernon Davis who are all great receiving options.  We have had "an embarrassment of riches" with both Garcon and Jackson.  I think if we can get one of the two back in the fold we'll still have decent receiving options.  But, I don't know if we can afford both.
If one of them leave then that makes Crowder an outside receiver, where he'll be matched against better CB's than he is in the slot (where he's very effective). I think we see a dropoff in his production if he's split wide. If he stays in the slot, they need another guy split wide (or 2, if they lose both Garcon and Jackson). That doesn't mean it can't work, but who's the other WR gonna be? I'm assuming we'll get nothing from Doctson, that he'll be another Malcolm Kelly. If he heals and plays it'll be great, but I don't assume it'll happen.

Davis is old and going to drop off soon. Gotta keep him until he does, though, because he can get open and he can block. Reed is awesome, but prone to being hurt and will never be a good blocker.

Im not liking the drama im reading about between Bruce and Scott. 

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/02/10/jealousy-partially-to-blame-for-bruce-allen-muzzling-scot-mccloughan/

“There’s politics and all kinds of crazy stuff everywhere, but definitely [at] Redskins Park,” Jones said. “I think there’s a little bit of jealousy on Bruce’s part for the credit, from what I’ve been told by a number of people, a little jealousy on the part of the credit that Scot gets for them turning things around. You know, Bruce will look and be like ‘Well Trent Murphy had a great year, that was my draft pick. Morgan Moses had a great year, that was my draft pick.'”

“You’re kidding,” Junkies host Eric Bickel said. “It gets that petty? He says that to people?”

“Yeah,” Jones confirmed.
Yeah, I'm not liking that either. Allen is not good at personnel, he's just good at holding his turf. And I'm sure he's stung by the team having winning records under McCloughan. But McCloughan hasn't been exactly perfect on drafts and signings either. That's a tough spot for him to be in --- having to satisfy a boss whose job he took.

BTW neither Trent Murphy not Morgan Moses had a great year, Bruce. They each had a surprisingly good year though.

edited to add: I'd say the uncertainty on the Redskins part about what to do about Cousins is probably from a solid split between Allen and McCloughan on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Keim ESPN Staff Writer

Redskins center Kory Lichtensteiger announced his retirement today, a move that had been rumored for more than a month. Lichtensteiger started 75 games for Washington from 2010-16, playing guard and then eventually center. Injuries limited him the last two seasons.
Glad he retired. The guy played hard and filled in wherever needed, but was never good. He rose to "functional" level some of the time. He was going to be cut anyway, and maybe resigned for cheap.

If one of them leave then that makes Crowder an outside receiver, where he'll be matched against better CB's than he is in the slot (where he's very effective). I think we see a dropoff in his production if he's split wide. If he stays in the slot, they need another guy split wide (or 2, if they lose both Garcon and Jackson). That doesn't mean it can't work, but who's the other WR gonna be? I'm assuming we'll get nothing from Doctson, that he'll be another Malcolm Kelly. If he heals and plays it'll be great, but I don't assume it'll happen.

Davis is old and going to drop off soon. Gotta keep him until he does, though, because he can get open and he can block. Reed is awesome, but prone to being hurt and will never be a good blocker.
I'd keep Crowder inside where he can be a difference maker and find someone to replace the outside guys.  

In terms of who the other receiver will be, yeah, they have to figure that out don't they?  I mean, who know, maybe Grant steps up?  Maybe they get a decent FA receiver that's cheaper than Jackson.  Maybe they get a mid-rounder that surprises like Crowder did. But, I don't think it's going to be an all time disaster for the offense if we don't resign both.  Personally, I'd like to see them sign Cousins and Garcon, then save money on Jackson and see if they can find a guy with some speed in the draft.  After that, focus on defense and get a solid RB late.  But I know, no matter what they do with WR, fans and pundits are going to predict disaster and decline for the team, because that's just what folks like to do I guess.  Everything is a disaster...the front office, offense, defense...we're just wallowing in it.  But honestly, I don't think keeping BOTH guys is our biggest worry.  I'm more worried about resigning Cousins and bolstering the defense.  We're just going to have to patch the second WR hole with the best available guy we got...

Glad he retired. The guy played hard and filled in wherever needed, but was never good. He rose to "functional" level some of the time. He was going to be cut anyway, and maybe resigned for cheap.
I always liked the guy cause as you say, even though he wasn't the most talented guy, he seemed to work hard and he did become serviceable, and I respected that.  Hope he takes care of his health in retirement.

Good lord this is crazy if true.  

All this goes to ownership, and setting a good organizational culture.

Look at the two Ted Leonsis owned clubs in the DC together.  The Wizards and Capitals have more combined wins this year than any other basketball / hockey combo.  True the Caps always choke come playoff time, but there is definitely something in the way he structures an organization that helps his teams prosper, and you never hear about the kind of foolishness you hear coming out of Ashburn. 

Please Ted, make Danny an offer he cannot refuse.

Good lord this is crazy if true.  

All this goes to ownership, and setting a good organizational culture.

Look at the two Ted Leonsis owned clubs in the DC together.  The Wizards and Capitals have more combined wins this year than any other basketball / hockey combo.  True the Caps always choke come playoff time, but there is definitely something in the way he structures an organization that helps his teams prosper, and you never hear about the kind of foolishness you hear coming out of Ashburn. 

Please Ted, make Danny an offer he cannot refuse.
Leonsis would have to sell the Caps and the Wizards.  Which he'd never do.  Also Snyder is a giant Richard but he's been good the past few years, not sure why any fan would be annoyed with him now.

Nobody wants to fire up a 2017 thread? Maybe we should just retitle this one and let this ride. 

What do you guys think of going after Alshon Jeffrey? Typical Redskins overpaying on free agency, or Hell Yeah!? 

Put me in the Hell Yeah! camp.

Nobody wants to fire up a 2017 thread? Maybe we should just retitle this one and let this ride. 

What do you guys think of going after Alshon Jeffrey? Typical Redskins overpaying on free agency, or Hell Yeah!? 

Put me in the Hell Yeah! camp.
That isn't where the money needs to be spent. We need to fix the defense.

if they are letting Garcon and DeSean walk, and we don't know what Doctson can give us, you better believe Jeffrey would be a smart buy. Then we use more picks on the defense instead of using one on a WR. (still hope they take a RB though) 

Last edited by a moderator:
if they are letting Garcon and DeSean walk, and we don't know what Doctson can give us, you better believe Jeffrey would be a smart buy. Then we use more picks on the defense instead of using one on a WR. (still hope they take a RB though) 
If they let Garcon and Jackson go then Jeffery makes some sense. His next PED suspensions will be for 10 games, though, if he gets another one. And he's likely to ask $12 million/year. http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/11/signing-alshon-jeffery-may-not-be-a-definite-fix-for-eagles-offense/

Well the Skins have a lot of cap space, and I think Jeffery (and any WR who's had to play with Cutler) has likely been held back. I think we'll see his best season next year once he's free from Chicago. 

If we let Garcon and DJax go (the wind seems to be shifting on Desean, seems like he could be back now) I'd have no problem going after Alshon, Pryor, or Stills in that order. Otherwise we're going to end up with Britt or someone.

If we let Garcon and DJax go (the wind seems to be shifting on Desean, seems like he could be back now) I'd have no problem going after Alshon, Pryor, or Stills in that order. Otherwise we're going to end up with Britt or someone.
I do think it would be a mistake to let Jackson go, assuming he's asking the same or less than what Jeffery is asking. Jackson on the field actually changes defensive coverages; Garcon does not. Without a reliable deep threat the whole field compresses for the Skins offense.

It's funny how even though Desean Jackson is a legit desirable free agent who could market his skills elsewhere, he had no problem saying:  "I want to be a Redskin."  For some reason, he didn't feel the need to hedge the statement to "keep his bargaining power."  I think this has warmed people to him a little, and maybe it will make a difference for the team, who knows?

I really like DeSean and would love to see him kept on but worry about sinking too much money into him with his injury history.  I think a lot may depend upon the contract that he'll demand.  If someone like Philly or KC offers a lot of money to him, then keeping him could be tough...

Users who are viewing this thread