What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (8 Viewers)

And Grant will never be a WR1 or WR2. They love him but he seldom gets open.
What do you guys think about that Harris kid?  He seemed to emerge toward the end of the season and show potential.  Not saying he's a # 1, but as a contributor for now who could continue to improve...

I'm assuming we'll get nothing from Doctson, that he'll be another Malcolm Kelly. If he heals and plays it'll be great, but I don't assume it'll happen.
I think this is a very pessimistic view, and not entirely valid.  Now if you said it about Junior Gallette, that would be another story.

MikeApf said:
It's funny how even though Desean Jackson is a legit desirable free agent who could market his skills elsewhere, he had no problem saying:  "I want to be a Redskin."  For some reason, he didn't feel the need to hedge the statement to "keep his bargaining power."  I think this has warmed people to him a little, and maybe it will make a difference for the team, who knows?
Depends.

"I want to be a Redskin" may erode a bit of bargaining power with the Redskins(although I'm sure they have talked about extensions for awhile so I'm not even sure if that is true or not) but it strengthens his bargaining power with 31 other potential employers. Even if he hated the Redskins, and I'm not saying he does, it's smart to say he wants to stay.

I'm assuming we'll get nothing from Doctson, that he'll be another Malcolm Kelly. If he heals and plays it'll be great, but I don't assume it'll happen.
I think this is a very pessimistic view, and not entirely valid.  Now if you said it about Junior Gallette, that would be another story.
I'm assuming that for planning purposes, not as a personal opinion. They can't plan on Doctson being a starter. Last year they planned on Galette being a starter, really counted on it, and then he was hurt for the second year in a row. They had no backup plan. Penciling Doctson in as a WR1, 2, or 3 is a bad idea. He should be that by now, as a first round draft pick, but with his mystery ailment he's barely played and isn't well yet.

MikeApf said:
What do you guys think about that Harris kid?  He seemed to emerge toward the end of the season and show potential.  Not saying he's a # 1, but as a contributor for now who could continue to improve...
He looked good in limited action. There's really not enough data to go on yet, other than that he's better than Grant already.

I hate, like really hate, projecting things onto young late round/undrafted guys as if we're the Seahawks...but *knock on wood* Harris made at least 2-3 really nice, natural looking sideline catches on 3rd down that caught my eye. 

Only kinda related to the late round WR talk...I really hope the depth on the team, and STs in particular, is satisfactory for McCloughan at this point. If it is, I assume we won't see as many STs-oriented low-ceiling picks like Evan Spencer (barf) in the 6th round. 

I'd keep Crowder inside where he can be a difference maker and find someone to replace the outside guys.  

In terms of who the other receiver will be, yeah, they have to figure that out don't they?  I mean, who know, maybe Grant steps up?  Maybe they get a decent FA receiver that's cheaper than Jackson.  Maybe they get a mid-rounder that surprises like Crowder did. But, I don't think it's going to be an all time disaster for the offense if we don't resign both.  Personally, I'd like to see them sign Cousins and Garcon, then save money on Jackson and see if they can find a guy with some speed in the draft.  After that, focus on defense and get a solid RB late.  But I know, no matter what they do with WR, fans and pundits are going to predict disaster and decline for the team, because that's just what folks like to do I guess.  Everything is a disaster...the front office, offense, defense...we're just wallowing in it.  But honestly, I don't think keeping BOTH guys is our biggest worry.  I'm more worried about resigning Cousins and bolstering the defense.  We're just going to have to patch the second WR hole with the best available guy we got...
It sure seeme like Maurice Harris played a lot more than Ryan Grant at the end of the year.  I think Hurt must be considered the # 4 wr at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
My basic opinion:  many good teams don't have stellar wide receivers.  It looks like focusing on wide receivers is a poor blue print for building a team.  I would only bring back Jackson or Garcon an a discounted deal.  I would not spend big on a wide receiver.  Focus on the defense and OL.  Build primarily through the draft.  Re-sign your own good players.  I think Cousins and Chris Baker are the two the come to mind here.

So...we pay Cousins either a big $$$ long term deal, or we franchise him again for big money....paying him for numbers he put up with LOTS of weapons...then we don't keep him surrounded with weapons? When we don't have a running game or defense in place yet, either? Seems like a recipe for freaking disaster. Good luck. 

The ONLY thing that has worked for this team for these past two seasons has been the passing game (two back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 20 years, btw--even though we all wish they'd done even better, it still has to be acknolweged that something is finally working a bit). Yeah, lets set it back while paying the QB who runs it top-5 money. That will put more pressure on Cousins, on the running game that doesn't exist yet, on the defense McCloughan still has yet to build to even respectable levels (but that we all hope gets lots of resources poured into it this offseason).

I have a feeling that if we let the receiving corps around Cousins dry up, talent-wise, we are going to be blowing this thing up after the coming season, as we lose games while overpaying a QB who used to thrive off of having playmakers. 

I can already foresee the opposing argument--"Its time for Cousins to sink or swim, if you're going to pay him like that he needs to be able to raise the production of everyone around him and not be supplied with playmakers all over!" I think we can all admit that he's probably not that guy, but that we probably need to pay him like he is anyways if we want to keep winning games.

Watching Pryor vs. Norman again in that soundfx clip floating around the internet, he'd easily be my #1 WR target in FA if the Browns let him test the waters. He's a freak and much more nuanced than you would expect for a guy just learning the position--plus he's just a size/speed freak and I think he'd dominate with a guy throwing him the ball who doesn't mind just tossing it up for him. And he and Norman/other DB's would just make each other better every day. Guy is a competitor. 

The ONLY thing that has worked for this team for these past two seasons has been the passing game (two back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 20 years, btw--even though we all wish they'd done even better, it still has to be acknolweged that something is finally working a bit). Yeah, lets set it back while paying the QB who runs it top-5 money. That will put more pressure on Cousins, on the running game that doesn't exist yet, on the defense McCloughan still has yet to build to even respectable levels (but that we all hope gets lots of resources poured into it this offseason).

I have a feeling that if we let the receiving corps around Cousins dry up, talent-wise, we are going to be blowing this thing up after the coming season, as we lose games while overpaying a QB who used to thrive off of having playmakers.
I get that same feeling too --- that Cousins needs a very good WR group to maintain his level of performance.

I can already foresee the opposing argument--"Its time for Cousins to sink or swim, if you're going to pay him like that he needs to be able to raise the production of everyone around him and not be supplied with playmakers all over!" I think we can all admit that he's probably not that guy, but that we probably need to pay him like he is anyways if we want to keep winning games.
That's a decent argument for franchising him again, if the WR corps is going to be depleted. Let him show that he can produce the same with a lesser WR corps, or show that he can lead the team to a winning record with lesser WR's and a (hopefully) improved running game and defense. Or let him go.

Really, this year seems like a make-or-break year for Cousins and/or Gruden and/or McCloughan.

Whoa.

Allen says the team wants Cousins to stay, but there’s no reason to believe him. It’s equally feasible Allen wants to cut spending, let the quarterback go and ride that dysfunction into a power grab next year.

Fans want to believe the franchise has changed, but more turnover at the top would be right in line with its history. If tag drama affects Cousins, and Gruden doesn’t direct a major improvement this year, Allen could get rid of the coach with a year left on his deal and send general manager Scot McCloughan packing to boot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2017/02/14/if-the-redskins-have-honest-intentions-they-shouldnt-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins/

Do we need Allen fired now? What in the fudge is going on in DC....
To be fair, the article above is an opinion piece. Snider really doesn't know what Allen is gonna do.  So another option would be to wait until after the off-season to see exactly what transpires with Cousins, free agents, etc. before hitting the panic button.

If Allen f's it up, we can get peeved at him then.  But I don't see the utility (from a fan's perspective) of getting too worked up about it right now.  Right now, I'm just going to wait and see what they do.  Then I'll form an opinion once it's done.

Luckily the Wizards are playing lights out right now and it's giving me my sports fix for the moment...:-D

I get that same feeling too --- that Cousins needs a very good WR group to maintain his level of performance.

That's a decent argument for franchising him again, if the WR corps is going to be depleted. Let him show that he can produce the same with a lesser WR corps, or show that he can lead the team to a winning record with lesser WR's and a (hopefully) improved running game and defense. Or let him go.

Really, this year seems like a make-or-break year for Cousins and/or Gruden and/or McCloughan.

It goes even further than that. DeSean, Garcon, and Crowder is a very good WR corp but Kirk's success and future millions has been predominantly dependent on throwing to the uncoverable Jordan Reed.

http://wtop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CousinsStats.jpg

(dated 12/21/2016)

It's a thought I often had while watching Cousins--that Colt McCoy could just as easily throw to a wide open Jordan Reed at 10% of the cost. But the dichotomy between these stats is staggering.

We could win 4-5 games with Colt McCoy and whatever we spent the extra $20 million/year on. Yeah that sounds like a good time.

creepythinman said:
It goes even further than that. DeSean, Garcon, and Crowder is a very good WR corp but Kirk's success and future millions has been predominantly dependent on throwing to the uncoverable Jordan Reed.

(dated 12/21/2016)

It's a thought I often had while watching Cousins--that Colt McCoy could just as easily throw to a wide open Jordan Reed at 10% of the cost. But the dichotomy between these stats is staggering.
Wow, I didn't realize the difference was so striking.

MikeApf said:
To be fair, the article above is an opinion piece. Snider really doesn't know what Allen is gonna do.  So another option would be to wait until after the off-season to see exactly what transpires with Cousins, free agents, etc. before hitting the panic button.

If Allen f's it up, we can get peeved at him then.  But I don't see the utility (from a fan's perspective) of getting too worked up about it right now.  Right now, I'm just going to wait and see what they do.  Then I'll form an opinion once it's done.

Luckily the Wizards are playing lights out right now and it's giving me my sports fix for the moment...:-D
That's true, it's an opinion piece. Second DMV sports guy to suggest it this week, though. Sheehan asked "How do we know it's not McCloughan standing on a table arguing for Cousins with Allen saying no? We don't, and that may be the case."

I think Allen's pissed he lost his GM job to McCloughan. I could see him trying to get it back. And the further away Allen is from football decisions, the better.

The Redskins have 13 unrestricted free agents, including receivers Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, tight end Vernon Davis and defensive end Chris Baker. They have approximately $64 million in cap room (assuming a $168 million cap). But they also will factor in future free agents when making deals this offseason.
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30206/redskins-will-approach-kirk-cousins-deal-with-eye-on-future-free-agents

Free agents in 2017: Morgan Moses, Trent Murphy, Spencer Long, Junior Galette, Bashaud Breeland, Dustin Hopkins

Free agents in 2018: Jamison Crowder, Preston Smith, Matt Jones, Arie Kouandjio

There's a short writeup on each one in the article. I don't think Galette will be around (though I really hope he'll stop being hurt), and I don't think Jones will be around. Breeland is interesting. The guy was surprisingly good while inexperienced, and last year seemed like a setback for him. The whole secondary was plagued by players missing assignments and he seemed a frequent offender. I'm wondering if it was the coaching of Fewell and/or Barry that caused the confusion, and Breeland's dropoff.

John Keim Verified account ‏@john_keim

Folks: If the Redskins can't get better in an offseason where they have 64 mil in cap space + 9 draft picks? It's not b/c of the QB cap #.

creepythinman said:

(dated 12/21/2016)

that is pretty amazing.  i had no idea the difference was that big.  reed must also free up other aspects of the offense too.

MikeApf said:

Don't forget the Caps! I love what the Wizards are doing, but it's hard to get too excited about the NBA when only 3/4 teams a tear have a shot at the title.

Don't forget the Caps! I love what the Wizards are doing, but it's hard to get too excited about the NBA when only 3/4 teams a tear have a shot at the title.
Yeah, and this is the year they do well in the playoffs!  Right?!  :-D

But definitely am psyched about the Caps...maybe the best season they've had out of all the stellar ones involving Ovie...maybe this is the year? 

OK, back to Redskins talk I guess...

You're gonna love this. Cooley's on the Redskins payroll.

Chris Cooley speculates on-air about Scot McCloughan: ‘Is he drinking?’

“You start to wonder, what the hell is going on here?” Cooley asked. “And I start to look at this and say, ‘Do we not trust what Scot McCloughan is going to say to the media, and is that why he’s not allowed to talk to the media?’ And if we don’t trust what he’s going to say to the media, why don’t we trust what he’s going to say to the media? Now, if you look at the history of Scot McCloughan, I think the one thing that you’d immediately start to flush out as to why we don’t trust what he’s going to say is that he’s had a drinking problem over his entire career. And so you ask right away, is he drinking?

Now this question was preceded and followed by all sorts of qualifiers and caveats. Cooley said the team’s scouting department has been “working relentlessly” in recent weeks, and that McCloughan might actually be occupied with work. Cooley said no one has told him that McCloughan is being muzzled, and that he doesn’t want to ask anyone about the topic “so I don’t have to protect anybody” He said he was merely acting as a fan or radio host on this matter, using uninformed guesswork, “because I really don’t know.”
JFC. I knew Cooley was in the tank for Couins, and has identified (without sources) McCloughan as the guy not wanting to pay too much to retain Cousins, but damn, man. This sounds exactly like Bruce Allen feeding crap to Cooley, and Cooley deliberately repeating it without checking it out.

Same as it ever was I guess.

Scot did have an issue that he worked through. If he was back off the wagon then there'd be reports about it, not just wild speculation by a person who is more of a joke than anything nowadays.

Also, the Skins should franchise Cousins and hope that San Fran signs him away for 2 first round picks. 

fatness said:
You're gonna love this. Cooley's on the Redskins payroll.

Chris Cooley speculates on-air about Scot McCloughan: ‘Is he drinking?’

JFC. I knew Cooley was in the tank for Couins, and has identified (without sources) McCloughan as the guy not wanting to pay too much to retain Cousins, but damn, man. This sounds exactly like Bruce Allen feeding crap to Cooley, and Cooley deliberately repeating it without checking it out.

Same as it ever was I guess.
This is a low blow by Cooley.  Fun speculation about what a team might do is one thing.  Spreading innuendo about a former alcoholic drinking again is just reckless and mean-spirited. 

This is why I'm just ignoring the news until after this whole thing is done.  I feel like the news media -- both print and radio -- have a vested interest in spreading negative thinking and controversy, because they feel "that's what brings ratings."  But as for me, as for a fan, I think this kind of stuff is just low class and cheap.  The guy is a human being who had a problem (alchoholism) that has devastated families and cost lives...it is nothing to use as "click bait" or "ratings." 

In the end, I don't think any of these guys -- Snider, Cooley, Florio, none of them -- know nearly as much as we're giving them credit for.  Honestly. 

Redskins have refused to comment on what Cooley said. Wylie said they're "in personnel meetings".

I'm allowed to hope, right? I hope McCloughan's fine and Cooley gets fired.
I agree.  I believe Cooley needs to be fired.  And if the Snyder owns the radio station, he needs to make it happen.

It's a cop out for Wylie to say "We're too busy to respond."  That's like a line my kids would feed me for not doing something.  :D

I guess the 'Skins braintrust was so horrified at last offseason's peace and tranquility that they decided to double down on their usual disfunction?

In just one short month (since running Barry out of town) DC sports radio has had Scott, Jay, Bruce and Kirk all about to get the axe at one point or another.  And now allegedly infighting over the GM job.

I hope it is all just radio blowhards trying to stir up callers to fill airtime with...

I hope it is all just radio blowhards trying to stir up callers to fill airtime with...
It's mostly radio sports people who just don't know anything, care to find out anything, or report anything. Redskin beat reporters do all the heavy work investigating and reporting. The ESPN980 radio guys just blather.

Completely uncalled for by Cooley. He's officially jumped the shark and can go #### himself. And I was a huge fan. Met the fella his rookie year at camp. 

Who is the last Redskin that has gone on to be good at media? I don't think we can claim Mark Schlereth 

Who is the last Redskin that has gone on to be good at media? I don't think we can claim Mark Schlereth 
Joe T. was much-maligned, but has had such a long and successful media career that it's probably him.  Sonny would be the gold standard of course.

Maybe Montgomery will manage to get his podcast empire off the ground and add his name to the short list...

Completely uncalled for by Cooley. He's officially jumped the shark and can go #### himself. And I was a huge fan. Met the fella his rookie year at camp. 

Just like his crap earlier in the offseason about Ihenacho being upset. It's clear Cooley is still bitter about not be re-signed so he could suck up even more to Cousins and now is just saying baseless crap.

Just like his crap earlier in the offseason about Ihenacho being upset. It's clear Cooley is still bitter about not be re-signed so he could suck up even more to Cousins and now is just saying baseless crap.
I think you can claim Mark Schlereth possibly.  From his Wikipedia page:

"Schlereth was selected in the 10th round (#263 overall) of the 1989 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He played 12 NFL seasons—six with Washington (1989–1994) and six with the Denver Broncos (1995–2000). He was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams (one with the Redskins and two with the Broncos) and was selected to the Pro Bowl for his performances in the 1991 and 1998 seasons."

Lots of folks see him as a Bronco but he was drafted by Washington, played as many years here as he did with Denver; also won a Super Bowl here, and made a Pro Bowl here. 

Other than that, yeah Joe T. comes to mind.

I've heard Doc Walker call games before, in preseason and college and he's actually pretty good.  If he ever got a chance on a bigger stage, I think he'd shine.

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be with the Redskins and wants to be franchise-tagged.

This doesn't make sense. If he doesn't want to be with the Redskins, why would he want them to franchise him? Wouldn't he hope they didn't so he could try and get more guaranteed money elsewhere?

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be with the Redskins and wants to be franchise-tagged.

This doesn't make sense. If he doesn't want to be with the Redskins, why would he want them to franchise him? Wouldn't he hope they didn't so he could try and get more guaranteed money elsewhere?
So on the one hand we have:  "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins"

On the other hand, you have Cousins himself who has publically said, he'd love to stay with the team and build something here.

What is going to happen is this:

1.  People will say what Cousins actually said is not credible, it's only negotiation, etc. etc.

2.  People will say the unnamed sources are speaking the Gospel Truth.

If you want to interpret the sky is falling, then yeah, the sky is falling.  Go for it.

But the fact is there is competing, contradictory information floating around out there.  Folks who say they know for certain what's happening are basically just fooling themselves.  They are selectively choosing the rumor to believe that reinforces their own per-conceived view of the situation.  Which is fine.  It's a free country.  We can believe what we want to believe.

We should just not confuse opinion and conjecture with solid facts,

Go Caps!

Go WIzards!

(PS...this is why so many people are skeptical of the media nowadays...not just in sports but in everything.  :( )

But the fact is there is competing, contradictory information floating around out there.  Folks who say they know for certain what's happening are basically just fooling themselves.  They are selectively choosing the rumor to believe that reinforces their own per-conceived view of the situation.  Which is fine.  It's a free country.  We can believe what we want to believe.

We should just not confuse opinion and conjecture with solid facts,

Go Caps!

Go WIzards!

(PS...this is why so many people are skeptical of the media nowadays...not just in sports but in everything.  :( )
This happens every year leading up and during to free agency and contracting negotiations and the draft. Agents and teams float information anonymously to try to influence things one way or another. This time of year the accuracy of football reporting is always way lower than during the rest of the year. It has nothing to do with the media in general --- it's an annual football event. There's truth out there, and there are obvious falsehoods out there, and there's guesswork out there, and most of it sounds the same. Then after free agency and the draft, football reporting goes back to the way it is the rest of the year.

As far as reliable people, there's this from Chuck Sapienza, who was ESPN980's programming director for years. That doesn't make it true, but it's a source with credibility.

“Let me put it this way: Cooley’s not a bad guy,” said Chuck Sapienza, former program director of WTEM — the radio station on which Cooley made those remarks — told Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan. “So some people that would say something like that would have an ax to grind or would hate someone.”

“That’s not Cooley at all,” he said. “He’s not a bad person. He’s also a very smart person. He’s one of the smarter athletes that I’ve been around in my career. But he’s also very connected with the front office. He’s too smart to not throw something out there unless he was either told something, heard something or he’s seen something. There’s no way that he just speculates. Nobody with the intelligence level of Chris would speculate on somebody having a drinking issue unless that was something that he, like I said, had either seen, heard or was told.”

“Is it appropriate for him to bring up on the air in this capacity?” Dukes asked.

“No. No. Not at all. Unless he’s being told to,” Sapienza said. “That’s the thing, you don’t do that about somebody. I mean, look, I like Chris a lot, but Chris I’m sure enjoys a cocktail or two every once in a while. It wouldn’t be right if one of his coworkers, and again, when you work at the station across the street, you are basically coworkers with the organization.

“You have an email address that’s the same and they work together, especially on their radio network. You work side by side with these people. I worked side by side with many people over at Ashburn. I could walk in without having to stop at the front desk. I mean it’s just the way it was.”

“Now, you don’t say that unless, again, you’re either told something or you’re asked to say something,” he said.
“He’s tied to them. He’s tied to the organization,” Sapienza said of Cooley. “He’s one of the main people on their radio network. He was a former player. He knows those guys inside out and backwards. He’s probably the most connected person at that radio station that’s connected with the front office. There’s no doubt about it. There’s absolutely no doubt about it.

“So for him to say that, like I said, I just believe he was either told something or heard something. And the way that Redskins Park has run in the past — it hasn’t totally in the last year — but how it’s been run in the past, is when they want to get rid of somebody, they turn the leaks on and the leaks continue until somebody’s gone.

“That’s why I tweeted out yesterday I wouldn’t be surprised if McCloughan’s gone sooner rather than later, probably, maybe by the end of this year, maybe sooner,” he said. “Because when they start putting stuff like that out, it’s General Flynn-esque. That’s what they do. It’s what they do.”

Because then he is free to sign with any team in 2018. There is no way in hell the Redskins will pay him over 30 Mil. for a 3rd franchise tag. He knows that.

Was he back today?  If so, did he address this at all?
The little I listened today, I didn't hear him.

When Andy was on with The Junkies, they asked him "Who else is following you here from 980?" Andy will be doing a show on Saturday mornings with Thom Loverro. Jason jokingly said, "Maybe Cooley will be here soon." They didn't discuss it any further, though.

Users who are viewing this thread