What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

This team is making a serious run at most ####ed up franchise. Not everyone has a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. Finding one is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. They have a top 10 QB and are going to #### it all up after years of suffering with turds. They want a new turd it appears. They will be going right back to where they were without Cousins. A bottom feeder in the toughest division in the NFL. What a joke of a FO.

This team is making a serious run at most ####ed up franchise. Not everyone has a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. Finding one is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. They have a top 10 QB and are going to #### it all up after years of suffering with turds. They want a new turd it appears. They will be going right back to where they were without Cousins. A bottom feeder in the toughest division in the NFL. What a joke of a FO.
I think Cousins will be back. It may be on a franchise tag, but I'm pretty confident he'll be the starting QB here in 2017.

I think Cousins will be back. It may be on a franchise tag, but I'm pretty confident he'll be the starting QB here in 2017.
Barring a draft day trade, yes he will be under  a franchise tag. But if the rumor that he doesn't want to be there is true, they have already lost him and will go back to being a bottom feeder barring lightning striking...AGAIN. They got lucky they had this guy and Bob failed or they wouldn't have a top QB right now. They are working hard trying to lose him. Idiots.

Barring a draft day trade, yes he will be under  a franchise tag. But if the rumor that he doesn't want to be there is true, they have already lost him and will go back to being a bottom feeder barring lightning striking...AGAIN. They got lucky they had this guy and Bob failed or they wouldn't have a top QB right now. They are working hard trying to lose him. Idiots.
If he really, truly doesn't want to be here then they need to tag and trade him THIS OFFSEASON, in order to get something from him. 

There is no point in signing him to a "one year rental contract."  Now, I'm not saying he really doesn't want to be here.  But if he doesn't.  Tag, trade, see ya, then move on to the future.  Try to squeeze SF's # 2 and another decent pick.  Go D Line with the # 2 pick and think about QB with # 17. 

Whether it's signing Cousins, or trading him, either way we need to look to build something for the future, because we are probably not Super Bowl contenders next year.

fatness said:
This happens every year leading up and during to free agency and contracting negotiations and the draft. Agents and teams float information anonymously to try to influence things one way or another. This time of year the accuracy of football reporting is always way lower than during the rest of the year. It has nothing to do with the media in general --- it's an annual football event. There's truth out there, and there are obvious falsehoods out there, and there's guesswork out there, and most of it sounds the same. Then after free agency and the draft, football reporting goes back to the way it is the rest of the year.

As far as reliable people, there's this from Chuck Sapienza, who was ESPN980's programming director for years. That doesn't make it true, but it's a source with credibility.
Wow, if they jettison Scot M this year then that will be major suckage.  Let's just bring back Vinnie Cerrato while we're at it.

I really do hope that all of this is just dumb speculation by shock jocks and not the smoke that preceeds fire.

I'm still very skeptical of all the shock jock media commentary as this is just what they do.  According to Cooley, Marvin Lewis was not going to be coaching the Bengals next season.  He's not right just because he's Chris Cooley and he's "connected." 

I dunno...you may be right but I hope you're wrong, if that makes any sense.

dgreen said:
MikeApf said:
Was he back today?  If so, did he address this at all?
The little I listened today, I didn't hear him.

When Andy was on with The Junkies, they asked him "Who else is following you here from 980?" Andy will be doing a show on Saturday mornings with Thom Loverro. Jason jokingly said, "Maybe Cooley will be here soon." They didn't discuss it any further, though.
Cooley was supposedly off from Wednesday through end of week according to Sheehan (and actually according to my wife, who also listens to the show some days). Wife is a great football fan and has gotten quite knowledgeable; fun to watch games with. During some Giants game this year (I think it was Cowboys- Giants) Eli dropped back to pass and she let out this big booming "PUT THAT LITTLE ####### TWERP ON HIS ###!!!!".

Anyway, I can see Cooley either being fired or being on his last legs at 980. Bull in a china shop, and his BMOC act has worn thin.

this news about Cousins sucks. I want them to either trade him for 2 1sts now (assuming someone is wililng) or sign him to a long term deal. They aren't going to win the SB next year, so why bother franchising him for 1 year so he can then walk?? This is so frustrating...

this news about Cousins sucks. I want them to either trade him for 2 1sts now (assuming someone is wililng) or sign him to a long term deal. They aren't going to win the SB next year, so why bother franchising him for 1 year so he can then walk?? This is so frustrating...
I wouldn't really call it "news". IMO, there has been almost no news, just a lot of speculation. I think there's been all this speculation because of the lack of real news. 

I've been thinking about this Cooley thing and I remembered: in 2015 he wanted badly to play for the Skins again. He promised on the air that he'd play somewhere that season, and lobbied hard to play for the Skins. He said, repeatedly, that he had every decision-maker at Redskin Park convinced except one of them, and made it obvious that one was McCloughan.  He said he'd play for the vet minimum, donate part of his salary to charity.

The Skins never made an offer, he then tried out for Arizona and the Giants who both were uninterested.

He was desperate to get back into football and blames McCloughan for it not happening.

Pollin will also team with another ESPN 980 exile, his former “Sports Reporters” guest Thom Loverro, to host a Saturday morning program on 106.7 The Fan. That show, tentatively known as “Pollin and Loverro,” will air Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, starting on Feb. 25

As much as I have disliked the way Snyder has run the team (and I still don't like him or Allen), I don't think he or the org deserve the media going down these roads.  There are rumors flying, but they are unsubstantiated.  It's almost like people are making things up to stir up something to talk about, and that includes Reid and Cooley and others.  

But Snyder, Allen, McCloughan and Gruden (and all the players)....I'm not hearing anything negative.  They aren't leaking what they plan to do with players or in the draft.  There is nothing solidly pointing to any issues.  I'll wait until real stories come out rather than rumors before judging anyone.  Until then the media can invent stories to keep listeners entertained.  instead they should squash the Redskins talk for a while and look into the other sports this city is a major player in.

Scot did have an issue that he worked through. If he was back off the wagon then there'd be reports about it, not just wild speculation by a person who is more of a joke than anything nowadays.

Also, the Skins should franchise Cousins and hope that San Fran signs him away for 2 first round picks. 
Are you suggesting that the person you're talking about doesn't drink whatsoever? 

As much as I have disliked the way Snyder has run the team (and I still don't like him or Allen), I don't think he or the org deserve the media going down these roads.  There are rumors flying, but they are unsubstantiated.  It's almost like people are making things up to stir up something to talk about, and that includes Reid and Cooley and others.  

But Snyder, Allen, McCloughan and Gruden (and all the players)....I'm not hearing anything negative.  They aren't leaking what they plan to do with players or in the draft.  There is nothing solidly pointing to any issues.  I'll wait until real stories come out rather than rumors before judging anyone.  Until then the media can invent stories to keep listeners entertained.  instead they should squash the Redskins talk for a while and look into the other sports this city is a major player in.
The local Radio guys haven't really adjusted to a post Cerrato organization.  They were so used to just being handed any/all information.  

Also when flipping on Sports Center it'll make your head turn when you see COUSINS TRADE.......and then realize they are talking about DeMarcus Cousins.

The local Radio guys haven't really adjusted to a post Cerrato organization.  They were so used to just being handed any/all information.  

Also when flipping on Sports Center it'll make your head turn when you see COUSINS TRADE.......and then realize they are talking about DeMarcus Cousins.
:lmao:  I saw that and did the double take and saw it wasn't NFL news.

Cooley not on the air again today, but they're still calling the show 'Kevin & Cooley". So I guess he's suspended, not fired?

ESPN 980 Verified account ‏@espn980

#NFL @CharleyCasserly w/ @kevins980 on #Redskins & Kirk - "When you talk to people around the league there's a mixed feeling on Cousins..."
ESPN 980 Verified account ‏@espn980

#NFL @CharleyCasserly w/ @kevins980 on Kirk w/ #Redskins - "You got to know when you have a good situation, and this is a good situation..."
If you listened this morning, Casserly was saying Cousins wouldn't command as big a guarantee as Sheehan/Cooley think, and that Cousins likely recognized that other situations he'd go to were not as good as the one in DC. I think Casserly was talking $20 million/yr. with $60 million guaranteed. I'd have no problem with a salary like that.

Rich Tandler

Ty Nsekhe not going anywhere There seems to be some confusion as to Ty Nsekhe’s free agent status. Some websites have him as a restricted free agent. But from what I can tell he will be an exclusive rights free agent. You need to have three accrued seasons to be a RFA. Nsekhe has two seasons from the last two years here but he came to the Redskins without any. He did appear in two games for the Rams in 2012 but he wasn’t on the roster long enough to accrue a season. This means that the Redskins will bring him back, probably on a one-year, minimum salary contract.
Thompson, Compton restricted The Redskins third-down back and Mike linebacker are restricted free agents as they each have three accrued seasons in Washington. The Redskins can tender them one-year contracts and then they can go out and solicit offer sheets that Washington would have an opportunity to match. RFA’s rarely end up changing teams so they both likely will be back.
Duke Ihenacho back? He played in 15 games at safety last year, starting 10. His play was competent in may respects but had the most missed tackles in the team, 15, despite being 10th on the team in snaps played. The coaches were reluctant to use him sometimes because he tended to freelance. Ihenacho will be an unrestricted free agent and I haven’t heard much talk about his status. That’s kind of unusual for a guy who started 10 games. If I had to guess I’d say he’s not going to return but that’s just a hunch.

Also check out the video on that page where Chris Russell says he'd take Cousins over Roethlisberger. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little surprised that TJ Lang wasn't mentioned in the group. Maybe it's because GB has all that cap space, but GB showed last year that they are willing to part with interior OLmen. According to Rotoworld, "Impending free agent RG T.J. Lang wants to re-sign with the Packers but admitted he hasn't "heard a word from them" about a new contract."

Of course I would agree Zietler/Warford would be preferable but I also would expect both of them to sign for more money than Lang.

As it stands now the most likely scenario is that cousins forces them to franchise tag him for 2017 and then he walks in 2018 over to SF and Shanahan for big $. He screws the team that refused to sign him in the process. There is no way they franchise tag him a 3rd time. The cost is out of the realm of possibilities. Cousins holds all the cards right now. If he performs well in 2017, he screws this team over and they go back to being a bottom feeder. In a league where top QBs are the hardest thing to acquire, these morons are going to let one walk out the door. It's unprecedented. 

Pretty soon Cousins will have to decide if he wants to stay on a team whose coach (and GM likely) want him with an offense geared to him for a reasonable amount of money, or go to a crap team for more money, perform at a far lower level, and not have a herd of local sports broadcasters cheering for him. He hasn't always done well under pressure on a team that wants him. Imagine him on a new lousy team, with no loyal fans and sportscasters, talking to the press about lots of losses. He has it pretty cushy here. He won't elsewhere.

As it stands now the most likely scenario is that cousins forces them to franchise tag him for 2017 and then he walks in 2018 over to SF and Shanahan for big $. He screws the team that refused to sign him in the process. There is no way they franchise tag him a 3rd time. The cost is out of the realm of possibilities. Cousins holds all the cards right now. If he performs well in 2017, he screws this team over and they go back to being a bottom feeder. In a league where top QBs are the hardest thing to acquire, these morons are going to let one walk out the door. It's unprecedented. 
You've made this same point, almost the exact same post, about half a dozen times. We get it. You made your opinion clear. Is there some compulsion to post the same thing over and over ad naseum? It's like sitting through those Chevy commercials over and over and over and over....

You've made this same point, almost the exact same post, about half a dozen times. We get it. You made your opinion clear. Is there some compulsion to post the same thing over and over ad naseum? It's like sitting through those Chevy commercials over and over and over and over....
He used to be FavreCo. It's what he does.

No, it's not unprecedented. ATL let Brett Favre go. SD let Drew Brees go. Those are the QB's who ended up being great for other teams. SF let Alex Smith go, who's gone on to be serviceable. Bradford is on his 3rd team and he's been an average starter on each. Peyton freaking Manning was let go from the Colts and went on to win a Super Bowl with his new team (even if that had more to do with the surrounding talent). Now consider the QB's who have gone on to new teams and failed. The Flynns and Osweilers. These are just recent examples too. You might say "Oh but ATL didn't know Favre would go on to be one of the all time greats" or "SD thought Brees would never recover from his injury" or "Manning was at the end of his career." Yeah every situation is unique. But what about Cousins? He's shown some greatness, but a lot more average and worse play. He's shown some clutch play on 4th quarter game winning drives, but he's also completely failed to show up in a lot of big games. He's shown that he can't do much without a strong supporting cast (see stats with Jordan Reed vs without Jordan Reed). He's shown he does not want to play here. Breaking the bank for a player like that is a risky move that a smart GM might choose to avoid. He might move on and be great with another team, he might be average, he might be a couple years away from riding a bench for the rest of his career. You don't know, nobody really knows. Our GM has to make a guess, and he might get it wrong, but no matter how it turns out there's nothing unprecedented about it.

Some interesting points 5. I get what you are saying about Cousin. He can show up small at times, but he put up a lot of points in this league. Tough situation for the Redskins. I think Allen will get creative with a contract that keeps Cousins around for at least a year or two. 

I recall in the ATL and SD situations that both teams had what they thought was their starting QB. In SD's case they were right with Rivers. In Washington's case, if they let Cousins do you feel comfortable with a replacement QB to keep the offense running effectively? Who do you have in mind?

No, it's not unprecedented. ATL let Brett Favre go. SD let Drew Brees go. Those are the QB's who ended up being great for other teams. SF let Alex Smith go, who's gone on to be serviceable. Bradford is on his 3rd team and he's been an average starter on each. Peyton freaking Manning was let go from the Colts and went on to win a Super Bowl with his new team (even if that had more to do with the surrounding talent). Now consider the QB's who have gone on to new teams and failed. The Flynns and Osweilers. These are just recent examples too. You might say "Oh but ATL didn't know Favre would go on to be one of the all time greats" or "SD thought Brees would never recover from his injury" or "Manning was at the end of his career." Yeah every situation is unique. But what about Cousins? He's shown some greatness, but a lot more average and worse play. He's shown some clutch play on 4th quarter game winning drives, but he's also completely failed to show up in a lot of big games. He's shown that he can't do much without a strong supporting cast (see stats with Jordan Reed vs without Jordan Reed). He's shown he does not want to play here. Breaking the bank for a player like that is a risky move that a smart GM might choose to avoid. He might move on and be great with another team, he might be average, he might be a couple years away from riding a bench for the rest of his career. You don't know, nobody really knows. Our GM has to make a guess, and he might get it wrong, but no matter how it turns out there's nothing unprecedented about it.
The bolded is the key point to me.

I mean, many of your points are accurate.  He has in fact shown periods of time where he can be a very good QB but he's also shown times where he can come up small in the clutch.  Make no mistake about it, if he comes through vs. Carolina and NYGiants down the stretch this is a very different conversation.  That said, if Cousins is really, truly committed to being here, I would be inclined to sign him to a long term deal, on the strength of him being well above average and also on the reality that we don't have other options currently (I guess I"m in the minority thinking Colt won't step in and easily win 9 games).  Those on this board know, I've been a pretty consistent Cousins supporter.

That said, I think the most important thing in negotiations, is for the Redskins get get a true sense of whether Cousins wants to be here. The worse scenario is not our letting him go this year.  It's retaining him for a one year rental and starting over NEXT year.  Bottom line, if you are going to start over, better to do it sooner rather than later, and ideally with additional draft picks.  So, if I am Scot or Bruce or whoever, I take Cousins out somewhere and I just look him in the eye, and ask:  "Tell us Kirk, do you want to play here or would you rather leave?"  If he wants to play here, open up the pocketbook and pay him what market demands and don't look back.  But...if you feel like he doesn't want to be here, then you have to tag and trade him this year.  This may mean getting a # 1 and a # 3 instead of two # 1's but if the alternative is you pay him 24 M this year just to see him leave next year, then a 1 and a 3 is better than a nothing plus a year wasted.  

I don't know if they can get him to be honest about it but that's what I would do:  ask him straight up if he wants to be here.  Because to me the money business can all be worked out...what's more important than that is to know if you even have a SHOT at negotiating or if he and his agent are just playing a game to go to market next year...

How much cap space does Washington have?I should look it up myself but I'm being lazy. I'm beginning to think some team will make an offer. I think he is easily the best available qb, is young, maybe has some lapses but has been a pretty solid starter. Maybe not cle, sf, or chi, but a team that picks a little later may be willing to pay 2 1sts for his services. Put him on Miami (tannehill behind in recovery after choosing not to get surgery), Jacksonville, the jets maybe, buffalo. People seems to be focusing on the top 3 picks, which gets dismissed because that's a little rich. But if you give up say somewhere around 10-15 it seems a decent NFL starter is easily worth that.

Some interesting points 5. I get what you are saying about Cousin. He can show up small at times, but he put up a lot of points in this league. Tough situation for the Redskins. I think Allen will get creative with a contract that keeps Cousins around for at least a year or two. 

I recall in the ATL and SD situations that both teams had what they thought was their starting QB. In SD's case they were right with Rivers. In Washington's case, if they let Cousins do you feel comfortable with a replacement QB to keep the offense running effectively? Who do you have in mind?
If you let cousins walk you likely let Mccoy run it next year.  And he should be serviceable. 

BTW i don't believe any of this media hype about cousins not wanting to be here.  DC media is the worst sometimes.  I cant see them letting him walk.  Scott, Jay, their jobs are riding on this season(if we believe that portion of the media hype).  Not a ton of leverage.  I just wish we had handled this earlier and gotten it out of the way before the media animals started spinning it. 

And if they truly arent sold, he is good enough to give a deal, and then just draft a late round qb as well. 

Either way though, im ok with rebuilding or signing kirk.  Im really indifferent at this point.  :sigh:

Before you go believing every media report, check this out.  Remember how Adam Shefter and Mike Florio sent out shock waves that Cousins would be courted by San Francisco?  Well, here are some follow up items:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/49ers-interest-kirk-cousins-waning-report-links-san-fran-new-qb

(Now Shefter says Matt Shaub may follow Shanahan to SF)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/01/jay-cutler-could-be-in-play-for-the-49ers/

(Now Florio says, no wait..Cutler could go to SF)

Here is the common thread:  Shanahan has "ties" to Cousins via Washington; he has "ties" to Cutler through his dad/Denver.  Translation:  media members will look for whatever "connections" they can find between players and then speculate wildly about player movements.  Here we have three different QBs going to SF, when the reality is, SF may even end up drafting a QB or going with what they have.

Take everything with a grain of salt in the offseason.  Reporting is dead.  Speculation rules.

Well if Kurt really doesn't want to be here for goodness sake let's move him now and get SOMETHING for him. We can always rent Jay Cutler for a year. ;)   

Blah.  Blah.

If the media speculates on everything Redskins they will eventually be right on 10% of it and tell us how brilliant they are.  It fills their air time.  By all means, don't talk about the Wiz, Caps, or Nats spring training.  I hate baseball and I'd rather hear that.  Fact is, most of these guys on the radio can't even talk hockey.  Some not even basketball.  Too bad because it would be nice to have sports show hosts the quality of those in more major cities.

The media wants stories. They seem to think the team owes them the honor of giving them something to talk about.  It's lazy journalism spending 80% of time on Redskins.

Why would the team show it's hand at anything?  I respect the team for keeping it close to the vest.

Favre was a zero with potential and only 1 guy saw the potential - Ron Wolf. Zero production before the trade.

Brees had a scary arm injury. Miami even passed on him. NO one will pass on Cousins if they are in need of a franchise QB.

Indy made a great move. Manning's neck injury forced the move and it was a great move It had to do with grabbing a potential superstar QB for the future.

Bradford is a ham & egger. Cousins 2 years are better than anything that guy has put up.

Cousins has no major issues, period. his play the last 2 years has been better Matt Ryan's of 2015. Look at Matt Ryan now.

None of the guys you mentioned put up huge #s the 2 years before where they stand now. 2 years worth . You can talk about the TOs and I say look at Matt Ryan and his 2015 OTs. Just as bad If not worse.  End of story.

Because the WASH FO incompetence is staggering. These clowns are supposed to be professionals at what they do and they are acting like they ride the short bus.

Blah.  Blah.

If the media speculates on everything Redskins they will eventually be right on 10% of it and tell us how brilliant they are.  It fills their air time.  By all means, don't talk about the Wiz, Caps, or Nats spring training.  I hate baseball and I'd rather hear that.  Fact is, most of these guys on the radio can't even talk hockey.  Some not even basketball.  Too bad because it would be nice to have sports show hosts the quality of those in more major cities.

The media wants stories. They seem to think the team owes them the honor of giving them something to talk about.  It's lazy journalism spending 80% of time on Redskins.

Why would the team show it's hand at anything?  I respect the team for keeping it close to the vest.
Amen.  Take the Wizards.  We're roughly 24 hours from the trade deadline and they need to make a move to shore up their bench scoring and make a run in the East.  WIth an improved bench, they can absolutely make a run at Cleveland.  That is a HUGE deal but instead we're speculating with ZERO PROOF that Bruce Allen somehow put Chris Cooley up to calling someone a drunk on the airwaves.  It's absolutely ridiculous.

Ditto with the Caps.  I know they are choking dogs but this may be the year they throw the preverbial monkey off their backs...talk about it guys!

Oh good.

In reality, team president Bruce Allen has always been in charge. McCloughan was brought in to be a super scout to restock the roster, but in terms of lasting influence, his job was structured for disposability.
Allen, whose responsibilities within the organization have increased despite his uneven performance, hired McCloughan for support. He didn’t want a replacement, and despite being criticized for the team’s poor play, he didn’t exactly want a new direction. He wanted an ace in the room to make everyone look better. But Allen didn’t want to cede control.

McCloughan is essentially as powerful as Allen wishes him to be. Even though McCloughan technically has final say on personnel matters, he still has to go through Allen to get deals completed, which is one way to limit the GM’s power. Even though McCloughan would be Coach Jay Gruden’s boss in a normal organizational structure, he doesn’t have the authority to fire Gruden or anyone on the coaching staff. Gruden and McCloughan report directly to Allen. They are, in essence, on the same shelf.

McCloughan runs the show — with Allen’s old scouting department. McCloughan flirted with adding a few of his own folks, but nothing came of it. So his challenge was to teach a team he didn’t put together his talent-evaluating tricks, to make them see what he sees, rather than create a staff that he knew he could manage.

As Washington constructed the roster the past two seasons, Allen overruled a few key decisions that McCloughan and Gruden wanted to make, according to people with knowledge of the team. Allen proved to be right on a couple of those moves. Other times, he hindered progress. But the ultimate point is this: If you thought McCloughan’s presence served as a shield from upper-management meddling, well, this franchise will never work that way.
If a herd of feral hogs ran over Allen I'd have trouble not rooting for them.

### rapage possible at the combine. http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/61881/Report--Redskins-49ers-could-do-Cousins-deal-at-Combine/Default.aspx

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network "would not be shocked at all" if the Washington Redskins and the San Francisco 49ers agree to a trade involving quarterback Kirk Cousins at the NFL Scouting Combine next week.

Jeremiah is usually more of a draft guru than a source of information on the organizational side but he does have deep contacts. He believes there's a "better than 50 percent" chance that Cousins is not with the Redskins in 2017, and a deal involving Cousins going to San Francisco, possibly along with the Redskins' No. 17 overall pick, in exchange for the 49ers' No. 2 overall pick, is in the cards.

:lmao:  Cousins AND pick # 17 for pick #2. That's a little :sarcasm: ridiculous.

Why would they even consider this? There's no sure-fire QB in this draft with a worth anywhere near the number two pick. So what would this trade accomplish? Almost getting Myles Garrett?

Users who are viewing this thread