What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (7 Viewers)

So basically the team decided on a 2 year 44 million dollar deal with a team option, instead of 3 years 59 million.  Sure, the later deal looks good in retrospect though, I agree. But this time last year it wasn't so clear. 

I think most of us had no issue with the Franchise Tag last year.  I actually thought it was a good move - Cousins looked legit, but he had a limited body of work.  Give him one more year to prove himself before going all-in.  I'd say he passed, so in my eyes, the logical step was to pay the man and lock him up for a while.  That never happened.  I literally NEVER envisioned a 2nd year of Franchise Tagging to be an option.  Either he sucked and we let him walk, or he was good and we paid him.

I think most of us had no issue with the Franchise Tag last year.  I actually thought it was a good move - Cousins looked legit, but he had a limited body of work.  Give him one more year to prove himself before going all-in.  I'd say he passed, so in my eyes, the logical step was to pay the man and lock him up for a while.  That never happened.  I literally NEVER envisioned a 2nd year of Franchise Tagging to be an option.  Either he sucked and we let him walk, or he was good and we paid him.
Agreed.

What I didn't envision was that he'd play hardball the way he has. Honestly, I found it so annoying hearing him say, "I want to play where I'm wanted." WTF is that supposed to mean? I definitely think they should lock him but I never considered that he'd be asking for Andrew Luck money. 

Agreed.

What I didn't envision was that he'd play hardball the way he has. Honestly, I found it so annoying hearing him say, "I want to play where I'm wanted." WTF is that supposed to mean? I definitely think they should lock him but I never considered that he'd be asking for Andrew Luck money. 
Joe Flacco got Andrew Luck money, and I don't think anyone thinks that he's better than Kirk. 

Fact of life is that NFL QBs get paid.  It's that scene from Rounders every single time.  "He beat me... Straight up... Pay him... Pay that man his money."

Holy crap that Baker news is disappointing to hear. One of the few blue collar, fan favorite type guys we have, that is also pretty good, and we just let him go. Regardless of whether or not he was truly worth what TB offered, these are the types of players you need to reward with new contracts to show that this front office is actually appreciative of leadership and hard work. Reminds me of when they let Alexander leave. God I hate this team right now.
There was some not-so-published front office dislike of Baker according to Czaban and apparently (I haven't read it) according to something Baker wrote today. Baker and Garcon both said they loved the Skins fans. Haven't seen anything about Jackson. Hell, they should love Skins fans.

Baker's getting $1 million/year more than both defensive linemen they signed today BTW, that's all.

Joe Flacco got Andrew Luck money, and I don't think anyone thinks that he's better than Kirk. 

Fact of life is that NFL QBs get paid.  It's that scene from Rounders every single time.  "He beat me... Straight up... Pay him... Pay that man his money."
Not quite. Flacco got about 2.4 million less a year. But Joe Flacco had also just won a super bowl! 

I haven't defended Allen. Actually, I'm sure if the search function still works in the place you could dig up posts where I said he should be fired. I'm just not buying that McCloughan is some blameless martyr. 
OK, I don't see McCloughan as a martyr either. Once the official separation is complete things will come out about what led up to this.

Thinking out loud, Cousins has an offer of $20 million/yr. from the Skins for a long term deal. Nobody has ever mentioned what he's asking for. But if the offense regresses this year as I've been saying it will, his worth on the market may well be less next year, which makes the $20m LTD look maybe better. Of course, instead of signing it or negotiating he's just whining for a trade.

Not quite. Flacco got about 2.4 million less a year. But Joe Flacco had also just won a super bowl! 
5/4/2013

"Joe Flacco knows his stature as the highest-paid player in NFL history may not last for long, and he’s OK with it"

Yes, he had just won a superbowl, but look at the money Glennon just got.  $20-25 million per season for an above-average NFL QB is the going rate.

5/4/2013

"Joe Flacco knows his stature as the highest-paid player in NFL history may not last for long, and he’s OK with it"

Yes, he had just won a superbowl, but look at the money Glennon just got.  $20-25 million per season for an above-average NFL QB is the going rate.
Flacco and Kirk aren't really comparable. Joe is 10-5 in the playoffs. He's been a super bowl MVP. He earned a huge contract. Kirk has thrown for a bunch of yards. :shrug:

Glennon got 14.5 per. The horrible deal that Oswieler got last year was 17 per. I don't see how that makes Kirk much better than 20 per. 

Sorry if I am still skeptical on the whole "he was drunk at work and games multiple times" because the source who is telling us this.  And the timing.  I mean if he was as bad a mess as they are claiming why are they waiting the first day of free agency for this and the day when Cousins was reported to ask for a trade

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I am still skeptical on the whole "he was drunk at work and games multiple times" because the source who is telling us this.  And the timing.  I mean if he was as bad a mess as they are claiming why are they waiting the first day of free agency for this and the day when Cousins was reported to ask for a trade
No source has said he was drunk on the job or unable to function. Other NFL sources and players said there's no evidence of this.

Chris Cooley, who is paid by the Redskins radio station and also paid directly by the Redskins, floated the alcoholism rumor. That is how Bruce Allen works.

No source has said he was drunk on the job or unable to function. Other NFL sources and players said there's no evidence of this.

Chris Cooley, who is paid by the Redskins radio station and also paid directly by the Redskins, floated the alcoholism rumor. That is how Bruce Allen works.
god i ####in hate this ####in team. 

Flacco and Kirk aren't really comparable. Joe is 10-5 in the playoffs. He's been a super bowl MVP. He earned a huge contract. Kirk has thrown for a bunch of yards. :shrug:

Glennon got 14.5 per. The horrible deal that Oswieler got last year was 17 per. I don't see how that makes Kirk much better than 20 per. 
This.

Cousins racked up small point totals against too many teams this year to put them in the same category.  He directly lost the Atlanta and last Giants games, and led them to abysmal points against the Bengals and Panthers. "Stats compiler".

The Washington Redskins have signed safety D.J. Swearinger, who played the past two years for the Arizona Cardinals and has also spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Houston Texans, the team that drafted him in 2013.

Grade: B-minus. Swearinger started slow in his career, having been drafted in the second round four years ago. This is now his fourth team since entering the NFL, but Swearinger showed a lot more last year with Arizona. He's a big hitter and the Cardinals used him both in the box and in a deep safety role. Is he an ascending player whose game has matured?
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30448/d-j-swearinger-adds-physical-presence-at-safety-for-redskins

There was some not-so-published front office dislike of Baker according to Czaban and apparently (I haven't read it) according to something Baker wrote today.
Chris Baker‏Verified account @cbaker92redskin

I'll definitely miss all my teammates and fans but understand the @Redskins didn't want me back as crazy as that sounds but I love y'all
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

It's not just about players wanting to flee. Baker loved playing here. Would have signed

DeSean Jackson

0ne0foneIt's been a great 3 years & I want to send out Much Love & appreciation 2 The Washington Redskins for giving me a opportunity to Live out my Dream for The years we Shared!! Thanks to the #DMV

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-fire-gm-scot-mccloughan-after-two-seasons/2017/03/09/652aa4f0-04fc-11e7-b9fa-ed727b644a0b_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.cf0cb57af10a

Someone is saying he was drunk. Article says Scot himself had said he thinks he can drink and perform (which is not what you want to hear from an alcoholic). Mike Jones has said that's it is known across the league that Scot never stopped drinking. 

I think there's probably truth to both the alcohol angle and the angle that Bruce continually overruled Scot. 

Someone is saying he was drunk. Article says Scot himself had said he thinks he can drink and perform (which is not what you want to hear from an alcoholic). Mike Jones has said that's it is known across the league that Scot never stopped drinking. 

I think there's probably truth to both the alcohol angle and the angle that Bruce continually overruled Scot. 
Um, when they hired McCloughan he never claimed he stopped drinking. I remember this article well. http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

Bruce Allen vouched for him with Snyder, and he was hired.

Well, he would have taken the 20/year before he took the behind the woodshed and beat the living #### out of them (the FO). They only offered 16 mil and $24 in guarantees. After their ### beating, he upped his price and only then did they offer the 20 mil THEY SHOULD HAVE OFFERED in the 1st place. Too late morons. You had your shot.

You can't make up #### like this.

There's a lot more to this very sad story than just alcohol and fans are blaming the organization, based on a reported power struggle between Bruce Allen and McCloughan. I'm told that McCloughan has not had any power and has not made any decisions for a long time. 

The exact quote from a dialed in source that we published on February 25?  “Bruce and Jay make decisions on EVERYTHING.  The record of Redskins last 2 years is Bruce and Jay." 
https://www.dchotread.com/2017/03/09/mccloughan-out

Cousins has an offer of $20m/yr. longterm, or a franchise deal of $24m for one year.

So he wants to be traded? Why not take the franchise deal and get the hell out next year if he wants out? Is he worried his stats will suffer this upcoming season?

This.

Cousins racked up small point totals against too many teams this year to put them in the same category.  He directly lost the Atlanta and last Giants games, and led them to abysmal points against the Bengals and Panthers. "Stats compiler".
Then they should be thrilled to trade him to SF and save themselves 24 million and a lot of heartache. 

Redskins signed McGee for same guaranteed money that Baker got with Tampa.

Stacy McGee deal w/#Redskins: 5 yrs, $25M. $9M gtd w/$4M signing bonus. He can make up to $6.5M in Year 1 ($2.25M base).
McGee has $3.75M base in '18 ($2.75M gtd injury only) 2019: $3.75M 2020: $4.75M 2021: $5.25M Up to $250K roster bonuses every yr
Chris Baker deal w/Bucs: 3 yrs, $15.75M w/$9M gtd. He'll make $6M in '17. $4.875M base in '18 ($3M gtd injury only, 5th day of league year)
Chris Baker has an ungtd base of $4.875M in 2019. Can get up to $1m sacks incentives every year

TobiasFunke said:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but this is what everyone said when Shanahan was hired and supposedly assured unfettered control over the team. Pretty much verbatim. It's been repeated in response to other front office moves too- hiring Gibbs (Snyder wouldn't dare meddle with the franchise's greatest icon!), replacing Snyder lackey Cerrato with Allen, the 2011 draft where they stockpiled picks and focused on defense in the early rounds, and others. I'll believe it when I see change sustained over multiple seasons.

dgreen said:
Agreed. I think Scot gets full control at first. But, the only thing that will allow him to keep that control is either quick success or patience from Snyder. What are the probabilities of each? What happens if we still don't make the playoffs the next three seasons? How will fans react and how will Snyder react to the fans' reactions? Does Snyder step in and force a trade or a big FA splash? Does he clean house and call Vinny and Pepper? Will he be ok if the plan is to totally strip the team down to nothing and build from scratch? That takes time.

I'm glad they're doing this. I'm just not willing to get too excited right now. I'm hopeful, as MikeApf said earlier, but I'm more than willing to just sit back and see what happens over time. It's not like Snyder did something here that gives us a huge leg up on the rest of league because the league is full of teams who let "football people" run the show. Granted, we seem to be getting a good one; maybe one of the best. Hopefully he lives up to the hype and is allowed to run the show. But, structure-wise, all we've done is joined everyone else and hopefully given us a better chance at being respectable. As Chris Rock might say: "What do you want? A cookie?"

I will continue to give Snyder credit, though, when it comes to drawing fans back in. He does it every couple years. We get as low as we think we can and then he pulls something off to give us hope. He's a master at that. He's totally tone deaf in some areas, but he senses when seats may not be sold.
Sadly, we kind of saw this coming. 

Will be interesting to see if Scot talks. 
Guarantee you that Scott will talk about this before Bruce and Snyder will.  After that embarrassing "winning off the field" conference, it is like they keep Allen in a cage to prevent him from public speaking in this area

McCloughan has been fired TWICE before for being a drunk. He even admitted that he never quit drinking(said he drank beer occasionally) before he took the job. If you know anything about alcoholism it should surprise NO ONE that he would continue to have problems. I know it's easy to blame everything on Snyder and Allen but I think occam's razor says he really did get fired because he's still losing his battle to alcoholism. 

Check out how this is written from PFT:

“He’s had multiple relapses due to alcohol,” the unnamed source told the Post. “He showed up in the locker room drunk on multiple occasions. . . . This has been a disaster for 18 months.” The source also said McCloughan “has received alcohol treatment” since joining the team, and the source suggested that McCloughan was fired by both the 49ers and Seahawks for alcohol abuse.

On the record, team president Bruce Allen said this, in a statement released to the media: “The Washington Redskins have released Scot McCloughan from the organization effective immediately. We wish him success in his future endeavors. The team will have no further comment on his departure. The organization remains confident in our personnel department as we execute our free agency plans as well as prepare for the upcoming NFL Draft.”

Per the Post, McCloughan has been fired for cause, which means that the team won’t have to pay the two years left on his contract. Ultimately, however, that question could be resolved in a grievance before the Commissioner and/or in a court of law — especially since players told the Post that they never noticed any issues with McCloughan.

“Of a half-dozen Redskins players reached Thursday afternoon, none said they’d ever seen McCloughan drink in the locker room,” the Post explains. “All but one said they never saw him act if he weren’t composed and in control. They added that they never felt he wasn’t able to do his job, and they seemed surprised the question was being raised.”

The team claims he showed up in the locker room drunk multiple times and WP says that none 6 players they called saw him "drink" in the locker room. That absolutely does not contradict what the team claimed. Also the very next sentence one of the 6 players said he's seen him drunk and out of control! The man has well document history of alcoholism. You think that may have been addressed in his contract? How much do you want to bet that they are well within their rights to fire the man when he's drunk on team property?

It's official, I'm out. Enjoy the next ten years of 5 or 6 win seasons.
Yeah. Out of all the embarrassing low points of the last 25 years I've never said that, but this time I'm done. Part of it might be due to the NFL product in general going downhill lately. That makes it easier to walk away. But whatever it is I'm done. I was under contract for another year of tickets but I won't renew past this next year. I want all my Redskins merch and memorabilia out of my house. Probably done posting here. I just can't deal with this dysfunctional team anymore. 

They gambled on a drunk changing his ways and lost. I don't think anyone didn't realize it was risky hire back then but still felt it was worth a shot. I can't wrap my mind around quitting your fandom over this. Sounds like you guys just need to take a step back and not take tackle football so seriously. 

Guarantee you that Scott will talk about this before Bruce and Snyder will.  After that embarrassing "winning off the field" conference, it is like they keep Allen in a cage to prevent him from public speaking in this area
Allen is already speaking about it, through anonymous sources. He started doing that a couple weeks ago. And by doing it through anon sources he doesn't have to answer any questions about it.

Users who are viewing this thread