What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (15 Viewers)

How many of you guys even thought respectfully of the Skins choice to draft a 2nd QB?   I see time and time again the touted QB fails.. 

Our scouts picked a great young QB (4th Rnd), and our Coaching staff trained Cousins!  IF needed it will happen again..  Quite frankly, I think I would enjoy seeing it too.. 

Bruce Allen publicly throwing the starting QB under the bus just as camp is about to open makes no sense. Completely unsurprising though. The circus is back in town.

Good Breakdown of what was offered and why kirk wouldnt/shouldnt take it:

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/887048579105382405

also

If Kirk is tagged next year he makes 34 million guaranteed. So around the same 50 million or so washington offered him.

Here's the kicker odds are no tag and a long-term deal next year. (Probably  not Skins)

So he's already got 24 million in his pocket and market says day of signing long-term next year he'll make another 50 to 60 million guaranteed.

So that's a difference of around 30 more million dollars.

Only risk he has was Skins offered him 70 guaranteed if hurt, but if he doesn't get hurt this year he'll make that back next year.

Is he taking a risk yes, but I'm sure it will payoff like it did last year.

What a mess. No clue why the Skins thought they needed to release that statement. I guess they wanted to get out in front of it? Doesn't really make them look any better.

As for Cousins, odd that his side never came to the Skins with an offer this offseason. Even though the Skins offer wasn't great, I still don't understand why Cousins and his agent didn't come back with an offer for what they wanted. Unless, Cousins just doesn't want to be here or really wants to get to FA and see what he can make.

Ben Standig‏Verified account @BenStandig 34s35 seconds ago

Cousins said a deal it was closer than people think. "Up until a week ago, I was praying over whether we should send them an offer."

Master Tesfatsion‏Verified account @MasterTes 1m1 minute ago

#Redskins QB Kirk Cousins on 106.7. "I just felt peace about not making an offer and putting it in the team's court."

Brian McNally‏Verified account @bmcnally14 2m2 minutes ago

Kirk Cousins: "I just felt peace about not making an offer and putting it in the team's court...."

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayCSN 2m2 minutes ago

Kirk Cousins on #Redskins offer: "If the best we can get is a 2 year deal I might as well just keep playing on one year deals"

Said he could play for the Skins for 10yrs on 1yr deals

As for Cousins, odd that his side never came to the Skins with an offer this offseason. Even though the Skins offer wasn't great, I still don't understand why Cousins and his agent didn't come back with an offer for what they wanted. Unless, Cousins just doesn't want to be here or really wants to get to FA and see what he can make.
In the radio interview Cousins is doing now, he mentioned that while there was no ***OFFICIAL*** counter offer there was plenty of dialogue following the Redskins offer regarding what he was looking for in a contract.

Ben Standig‏Verified account @BenStandig 34s35 seconds ago

Cousins said a deal it was closer than people think. "Up until a week ago, I was praying over whether we should send them an offer."

Master Tesfatsion‏Verified account @MasterTes 1m1 minute ago

#Redskins QB Kirk Cousins on 106.7. "I just felt peace about not making an offer and putting it in the team's court."

Brian McNally‏Verified account @bmcnally14 2m2 minutes ago

Kirk Cousins: "I just felt peace about not making an offer and putting it in the team's court...."

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayCSN 2m2 minutes ago

Kirk Cousins on #Redskins offer: "If the best we can get is a 2 year deal I might as well just keep playing on one year deals"

Said he could play for the Skins for 10yrs on 1yr deals
Hard to gauge his true feelings about the situation from the BS. It would be foolish on his part to come right out and say he has no interest in playing for the Redskins past 2018 (if they franchise him again) while he is still on the team. That would create a toxic situation for 2017. Smart on his part to leave the impression that a deal is still possible even if he has no plans to sign there long term. 

My current theory, FWIW.

Kirkt Cousins isn't determined to get out of DC.

The Redskins would like Cousins to be their QB.

Both are ok with the current contract situation, although they'd each prefer something different.

Cousins isn't fighting against the Redskins; he's fighting against the NFL and the current structure of how "guaranteed" money works. He wants to change the game and he can afford to do so because there's really no difference for him in whether he signs what the Redskins are offering or signs repeated franchise tags. Based on hearing some snippets from his interview today, I think he sees most contracts (even those that are labeled as "long-term contracts") as being 1-2 year contracts regardless of the headline...so why sign the long-term contract? 

Does anyone know how much "guaranteed" money players actually receive? I think we hear "guaranteed" a lot and the player probably doesn't actually receive much of that when they are cut or injured or whatever.

Here's an article I found. I'm interesting reading some more. http://thebiglead.com/2015/05/19/guaranteed-money-in-nfl-reporting-doesnt-mean-what-it-used-to-mean/

My current theory, FWIW.

Kirkt Cousins isn't determined to get out of DC.

The Redskins would like Cousins to be their QB.

Both are ok with the current contract situation, although they'd each prefer something different.

Cousins isn't fighting against the Redskins; he's fighting against the NFL and the current structure of how "guaranteed" money works. He wants to change the game and he can afford to do so because there's really no difference for him in whether he signs what the Redskins are offering or signs repeated franchise tags. Based on hearing some snippets from his interview today, I think he sees most contracts (even those that are labeled as "long-term contracts") as being 1-2 year contracts regardless of the headline...so why sign the long-term contract? 

Does anyone know how much "guaranteed" money players actually receive? I think we hear "guaranteed" a lot and the player probably doesn't actually receive much of that when they are cut or injured or whatever.

Here's an article I found. I'm interesting reading some more. http://thebiglead.com/2015/05/19/guaranteed-money-in-nfl-reporting-doesnt-mean-what-it-used-to-mean/
Don't disagree with your initial assessment. He doesn't want out, KC is working the system. He is in the unique situation of being a late draft pick at the most important position in sports, which 2 factors lead to an evaluation issue. Is he good or not? Does he have the talent to lead a team or not? Does he benefit from his surrounding cast? Which leads to this. He's surrounded with top OL talent and weapons but the front office doubts...it's like the perfect storm of CBA abuse by a player. Good for him in that respect..but the cited article and the end without substantiated merit and pretty lame.

Drove past the training camp site this morning.Tents are up, and a lot of activity. Maybe not quite as excited as I have been the past couple of years, but still got a little charge. Temps just dropped today from the typical sweltering heat, and pretty cool weather is in the forecast for the next week. I'm sure the team and fans will appreciate that. Here's to no big injuries this year. It'd be nice to see Galette make it into the season this time around. I can't remember where I read it, but both those Achilles injuries supposedly made him have to increase his shoe size on both feet from the scar tissue or something. Kind of crazy.

every year a team comes out of nowhere to blast past opponents and go deep in the playoffs, sometimes setting records along the way.Cam Newton and the Panthers 2 years ago. Matty Ice and the Falcons last season..

my pick for that cinderella team ( if you like) , is the Washington Redskins.Cousins was incredibly good last season and in 2015..he's a lock to finish as a top 5-6 QB..on his final season as a franchised-tagged player, I think he's going to be lights out in 2017..

in my leagues, 1 pt per 40 yards passing, 4-6 pts for TDs, every 2 completions is worth 1 pt, plus rush yards and rush TDs, Cousins was the #3 QB at 424 fantasy pts,behind only Brees at 487 and Rodgers at 505..Cousins is THAT good..and he didn't even have Reed for a full season!! now he has faster WR's, and Reed coming back strong, with Thompson as the main cog in the backfield, this team is on the rise, big time..Cousins might be better this season..a few breaks go his way, and he's flirting with Brees-like numbers..lock it up..

hurts me to say this as a NYG fan,but I think NY's lack of a running game will hurt them, and Dallas will come back to earth some..and Philly always sucks , so someone has to win the NFC east..

I just have a feeling he's going to do this year, what Cam did in 2015,and what MAtty Ice did last season..

Hope you are right but for that to happen defense has to be light years better...hoping it will be!
I have a good amount of homer optimism for the defense. Galette is healthy, Hall will be an improvement at safety, hopefully the other safeties improve themselves, Breeland had a down year, but I still believe in him, and I love the 2 Alabama rookies.

I have a good amount of homer optimism for the defense. Galette is healthy, Hall will be an improvement at safety, hopefully the other safeties improve themselves, Breeland had a down year, but I still believe in him, and I love the 2 Alabama rookies.
I don't count on Galette and Hall all that much but I really like the additions of Allen/Brown/Swearinger. Those should be solid starters added at each level of the defense. In the case of the DL they really lucked into Allen slipping that far because they were looking at a downgrade after FA. The depth at LB and DB seem to be much improved even if Anderson/Moreau take some time to get up to speed. This unit could take a big jump if Cravens/Fuller/Smith/Breeland play close to their potential. I won't count on the improvement based on another year but they are young with room to grow.

Drove past the training camp site this morning.Tents are up, and a lot of activity. Maybe not quite as excited as I have been the past couple of years, but still got a little charge. 
It kind of has that feeling in the air like the star QB of your high-school team is in his senior year. Well, this is it. This might be the last best chance to get to state for awhile. I hope for Redskin fans they either shock the experts and pull out some of those head scratching losses from last season to win the division..... or just go down in flaming mess so they get one of the big three QB prospects without trading the farm in draft picks.

What if he plays adequately and the team regresses?  (See also: 2016)
If there is a repeat of 2016 then I think they have to just let him walk. If they want to hover around .500 while looking for their next QB then signing Alex Smith would be a lot cheaper way to do that. 

But Cousins played a lot better than "adequately" in 2016 imo. Both sides would probably be better off starting fresh if this team can't make the playoffs.

It kind of has that feeling in the air like the star QB of your high-school team is in his senior year. Well, this is it. This might be the last best chance to get to state for awhile. I hope for Redskin fans they either shock the experts and pull out some of those head scratching losses from last season to win the division..... or just go down in flaming mess so they get one of the big three QB prospects without trading the farm in draft picks.
You had me until ... or just go down in a flaming mess. I've seen enough of that. I get your point though. Might also lead to restructuring at the top, which they shouldn't need again, but most likely do.

:wall:

Chances for flaming mess just increased

Offense was lights out last Season (kinda)..  Lets see our Defense WORK, before we're overly concerned about the Offense.  Think some believe we have a QB, which is a lot more than some teams..  In years past Ive seen many teams thrive on the defensive side of the ball.  Think Denver won a SB because of their D..  next man uP!

crusty crab said:
:wall:

Chances for flaming mess just increased
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to have a guy hurt at this stage when he's known that he'll be the focus of the entire offense when DJax/Garcon left. Of course the counterpoint will be if Doctson can actually get on the field, run at full speed, and start building chemistry with Cousins. An optimist might even say that Reed and Cousins are at a point where they should be able to just pick up where they left off and Cousins really needs to be building a rapport with Doctson/Pryor anyway..... but you'd have to be quite an optimist. 

I still say WAS made a mistake by not drafting Bucky Hodges late given the importance of the TE in that offense and Reed's injury history. It was great to see Vernon Davis have a bounce back year but how much can he possibly have left in the tank? Redskins were two picks ahead of MIN in the 6th round and chose C Chase Roullier instead. I guess time will tell if they made the right decision. I'm all for investing in OL depth normally, but keep in mind WAS also had another 6th rounder 10 picks later.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to have a guy hurt at this stage when he's known that he'll be the focus of the entire offense when DJax/Garcon left. Of course the counterpoint will be if Doctson can actually get on the field, run at full speed, and start building chemistry with Cousins. An optimist might even say that Reed and Cousins are at a point where they should be able to just pick up where they left off and Cousins really needs to be building a rapport with Doctson/Pryor anyway..... but you'd have to be quite an optimist. 

I still say WAS made a mistake by not drafting Bucky Hodges late given the importance of the TE in that offense and Reed's injury history. It was great to see Vernon Davis have a bounce back year but how much can he possibly have left in the tank? Redskins were two picks ahead of MIN in the 6th round and chose C Chase Roullier instead. I guess time will tell if they made the right decision. I'm all for investing in OL depth normally, but keep in mind WAS also had another 6th rounder 10 picks later.
I think they're just being really cautious, as they should be. They tried to push Doctson. Maybe because of where they drafted him, or not really being able to mange that tendonitis or whatever they said it was during each week. I'd even go so far as to say that it might have had something to do with Dan Snyder getting a little PO'd at Scot McC for drafting him. Would not surprise me a bit. I'll be worried if I hear the phrase turf toe, or anything more than sprained toe. I think you're right about TE, but think the coaches and whoever else is running things, have faith in the guys on the roster. This could open the door for Paul one more time. Also, really unlucky with injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

They did daft a TE, and I'll also say it isn't that the TE is a focal point, it's that Reed is. With Reed out the offense changes. So you're right that someone else like Doctson can fill that gap. 

Great read. Thanks for sharing that. He had such a good rookie season. If I remember right, he was nowhere near a lock to make the team, but some injuries gave him a good shot to earn it during training camp. He was one of those guys that flashed, and kept making plays and looking way better than what they expected from a 6th rounder. By the end of camp it was a no-brainer that he'd make the roster. It'd be pretty amazing if he does make it back.

But Cousins played a lot better than "adequately" in 2016 imo. Both sides would probably be better off starting fresh if this team can't make the playoffs.
You'd probably get a lot more agreement from skins fans had he not totally choked down the stretch when it mattered. Yea, lots of stats. But didn't show up when it mattered. But it's a new year, another shot at it. Guess we'll see what we have.

Some training camp posts from John Keim yesterday:

Best play: Second-year corner Kendall Fuller made a diving interception off Kirk Cousins on a deep post to receiver Brian Quick. Fuller had placed himself in good position to the inside and when the ball was overthrown, he laid out. Fuller looked good during the spring workouts as well. He's been working as the No. 3 corner.
Rookie report: Defensive end Johnathan Allen worked with the first team for a handful of snaps. On one rep, he used quickness to initially beat a double team and then finished with power. Linebacker Ryan Anderson showed his strength on one bull rush, knocking tackle Vinston Painter to the ground. He was more effective using power when rushing.
Two players who stood out Wednesday: receivers Terrelle Pryor and Josh Doctson. Pryor consistently created separation on comebacks by getting out of his break quickly. Doctson got off the line well, ran good routes -- with good stems -- to get free. A strong first day for both.
Safety D.J. Swearinger is very communicative in the secondary. He is decisive on his calls, too. He made one today at the last second to alert safety Su'a Cravens to drop while Swearinger ran up to cover a tight end with in the flat. It worked: the play was covered.

Some Day 1 notes on the defense from Mike Jones:

Based on how they were acquired, it would seem that Allen (17th overall pick), McGee (five years, $25 million) and McClain (four years, $21 million) would be the favorites to start. But those three have yet to share the field. Tomsula was really impressed with how hard Mbu worked during the offseason, and that’s why he’s giving him a crack at nose tackle. A number of the offensive linemen have praised him and think he’s the best option. But it’s still super early.

Tomsula will rotate guys with great frequency, so it might not even matter who starts. One thing is certain: By mixing it up so much in practice, Tomsula is stoking those competitive fires.

Inside linebacker seems a little less uncertain. Will Compton, Mason Foster and Zach Brown all rotated during the spring. Sometimes it was Compton and Foster, Foster and Brown or Compton and Brown. But Compton spent most of Thursday as the “Mike” rather than rotating with the others. It was Foster and Brown who rotated as Compton’s sidekick. Compton has drawn praise for his leadership and communication, possibly giving him an edge. Brown lined up next to Compton during the 7-on-7 drills, while Foster played the first round of 11-on-11 action, and Brown then replaced him during the second such segment.
Shadowing Hood: After offseason practices concluded, Allen spent time training with nine-year veteran Hood. Those workouts have helped Allen get stronger and better learn how to push himself. For example, Allen would previously push 365 pounds on the sled, and he thought that’s about what he could do. Trying to keep up with Hood, he realized he hadn’t reached his limit. He’s now pushing 405 pounds on the sled. “He’s one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen,” Allen said of Hood.

every year a team comes out of nowhere to blast past opponents and go deep in the playoffs, sometimes setting records along the way.Cam Newton and the Panthers 2 years ago. Matty Ice and the Falcons last season..

my pick for that cinderella team ( if you like) , is the Washington Redskins.Cousins was incredibly good last season and in 2015..he's a lock to finish as a top 5-6 QB..on his final season as a franchised-tagged player, I think he's going to be lights out in 2017..

in my leagues, 1 pt per 40 yards passing, 4-6 pts for TDs, every 2 completions is worth 1 pt, plus rush yards and rush TDs, Cousins was the #3 QB at 424 fantasy pts,behind only Brees at 487 and Rodgers at 505..Cousins is THAT good..and he didn't even have Reed for a full season!!now he has faster WR's, and Reed coming back strong, with Thompson as the main cog in the backfield, this team is on the rise, big time..Cousins might be better this season..a few breaks go his way, and he's flirting with Brees-like numbers..lock it up..

hurts me to say this as a NYG fan,but I think NY's lack of a running game will hurt them, and Dallas will come back to earth some..and Philly always sucks , so someone has to win the NFC east..

I just have a feeling he's going to do this year, what Cam did in 2015,and what MAtty Ice did last season..
1) Faster WR's are not necessarily better receivers. Replacing Jackson and Garcon's production is going to be hard to do.

2) The chances of Reed "Coming back strong" and staying healthy for a whole season are not great.

3) The last 6 seasons, which has been the worst stretch of play for the Eagles since 1999, they have a record of 46-50. Last year when they went 7-9 with a rookie QB and a rookie coach, they outscored opponents by 36 points. Mediocre maybe, but sucking? I don't think so.

Based on losing his top two, very good wide receivers, I have a hard time seeing Kirk have the breakout year you are predicting him to.

Users who are viewing this thread