What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

Saw Reed and Doctson are already ruled out for tomorrow night. I'm fine with that. The starters may play a series or 2 anyway.

@MccloughanScot now on Twitter. 
Here is an interesting piece from Steinberg on the twitter discussion:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/09/scot-mccloughan-just-did-a-twitter-qa-and-redskins-fans-will-love-his-responses/?utm_term=.b212c2b36e38

Apparently, he floated a lot of love the Redskins way.

Interesting tidbits to me were:  1.) He said Redskins followed his FA / draft board to a T with one exception.  2.) He misses the Skins and would come back if the situation were right (wow), and 3.) he believes Matt Jones can be a stud in the league!

Check out Steinberg's summary ... interesting stuff...

ETA:  Actually, he said he missed the players, fans, coaches, trainers, and owners.  He said nothing about the Front Office staff, prolly just an oversight?   :P  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering about the RB myself. Fat Ron, 9 carries for 9 yards? Perrine goes 8 for 45. Changing of the guard? Or meaningless carries?

Didn't see the game but I heard the offense was bad again?  Anyone watch?
The offensive line was getting no push at all in the running game again. Pass blocking was a little better, but the O Line looks a lot like it did last year. The first team offense was not clicking at all. They struggled all the way up until halftime, when they managed to finally get a TD against what was, at that point, the Packer's 2nd stringers.

Haven't been impressed at all with the offense. I can get Kirk being a little out of sync with the WRs, but there is no reason the OL is out there dominating the LOS. I need to see them doing something more in the 3rd preseason game before I get worried.

Haven't been impressed at all with the offense. I can get Kirk being a little out of sync with the WRs, but there is no reason the OL is out there dominating the LOS. I need to see them doing something more in the 3rd preseason game before I get worried.
Well, apparently Long was playing hurt and so maybe that was impacting the Offensive Line. 

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Trade-For-Center-Lucas-Crowley/0e652914-f7ca-436c-a2ba-405f7948247b

That said, yeah, the Offensive Line problems are concerning, as our running game has been horrid and also Cousins has been harried regularly.  As we know, Cousins is not nearly as good when he's hurried in the pocket.

On a related note, even as a Kirk fan I'm less patient with his needing to "get in synch" with his receivers.  If he's looking for 25 mill + per year, he should be able to jell with these guys a little sooner.  The third preseason game we need to see the offense come out and move the fall up and down the field a little bit more. 

I actually think the defense will be improved this year but it will be interesting to see what the offense will do...

Was wondering about the RB myself. Fat Ron, 9 carries for 9 yards? Perrine goes 8 for 45. Changing of the guard? Or meaningless carries?
It could be that Perrine was going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Kelly is better than Perrine.  Assuming the starters get 3 quarters (3rd game norm?), I'd love to see them give Perrine some first string reps to see how he does.

At least we have a very competent third down back in Chris Thompson...it's better than nothing.

Meanwhile, I guess Matt Jones is so far down on the bench that I shouldn't even worry about him seeing field...

Dress Rehearsal. Hmm...

That was some Bengals drive. Reminds me of what the 'skins used to do, back in the day: 15 plays, 87 yards, 8:51...

Hate the yellow pants. Thanks, Bruce.

Only saw a little of the third pre-season game and what I saw did not impress me.

One decent drive by the first team offense but no consistency beyond that.  Too many mistakes, penalties, and a ghastly pick-6 from our 24 million dollar man.

Josh Doctson did not play due to an owie in his leg.

Where is Tyrell Pryor?

I do think the defense will be improved but that one drive was awful.  They did play better other than that.  They are playing better than the offense, IMO.

Some will say, it's only pre-season, everything is vanilla, blah blah blah.  Yeah, I get that but you still can EXECUTE vanilla plays, and we are not doing that.

Some will say, Kirk needs time to get adjusted to the new receivers.  To which I say, I have supported signing him, but if he can't just lead this new group right away,then management is right and he's not worth a long term deal of 25 million / year.  Kirk's ace in the hole is he's a very hard worker.  But, does he have the ability.  We will see. 

Kelly had one good drive running the ball, but he still seems pedestrian to me.  And when running game doesn't work, guys are teeing off on Kirk.  He was going down in the backfield like RGIII was doing at the end of his stint...

Gruden says he's "concerned" about slow starts.  But it's not "slow starts"...it's that the starting offense only has one good drive and can't even get a first down other than that.

Is it too early to be worried about the Philadelphia game?  I think those guys are really pumped to stomp us down...is our intensity up for it?  If not, it could get ugly.

Oh well, I do think the defense will be better...

Edit to Add:  If I were Gruden, I would make the starters play the first half of the fourth preseason game.  THEY ARE NOT READY.  Failure to play them due to worry of injury is foolish at this juncture.  Why are you saving guys for a 4-12 season.  You need to act NOW and get sharp.  Of course, I doubt Gruden does this as it's "against convention."

Dress Rehearsal. Hmm...

That was some Bengals drive. Reminds me of what the 'skins used to do, back in the day: 15 plays, 87 yards, 8:51...

Hate the yellow pants. Thanks, Bruce.
If this is how they play in the regular season, with the schedule they have, they will be lucky to win 4-5 games.

And then we'll trade the farm to move up to # 1 and draft the next QB of the future... :unsure:

Heard this morning that the starting O has been on the field for 15 possessions. We've gone 3 and out on 60% of those possessions. Yikes!

Don`t really see Cousins as a 25-30 million dollar QB.   Cousins seems like he would be good at the bus driver type like Prescott was last year.  Good O-Line with a strong running game and you can win.  Just don`t see him being that top level QB that raises the bar around him.

Really would not want to be saddles with a 120 million dollar deal for Cousins..let it be another teams problem.

Do the Redskins not have a strength and conditioning coach? Because the seem to consistently use high picks on guys that never seem to manage to be on the field.

I'm thinking less. The offense will be bad. Cousins is bad when he's not surrounded by talent and the preseason should have made it clear that Pryor and Quick are no replacements for Garcon and Jackson. Less than 250 points this season, 3-13.

PinkydaPimp said:
So what are predictions for this year?  im thinking another 7-8 win season sadly.  :shrug:
Probably right. Middle of the pack team that if things break right, could sneak in as a Wild Card.

Does anyone else find it odd that with all the drama surrounding Cravens..... it doesn't sound like there was any interest in bringing in TJ Ward when he became available last weekend? I mean he could have been had for exchanging a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder and would have been the best S WAS has started in years. There's a good chance this entire thing gets blown up in less than a year, so why not pay that low price to have a competent S to pair with Swearinger. Missed opportunity to take lemons and make lemonade imo.

Just have this feeling that things are going to go very badly this year....like starting over without Gruden badly. Hopefully this would lead to Allen and Doug Williams going as well, and a legit GM being hired before the next coaching staff, but I'm not that optimistic.

Nothing quite feels right. The McCloughan/Cousins/Cravens drama so far and a very poor preseason has the whole fanbase quivering with tension and expecting failure...those years where we expect failure are the years where, when its given to us, we start looking forward to a high draft pick and a new regime very early in the season. That makes its way into the media, leaks into the lockerroom and snowballs....and before you know it, its week 10 and we're hungrily talking about QB prospects and many of us are secretly or quietly (or not) hoping for competitive losses that net us a higher draft pick.

We have a bunch of impact players on 1-year deals and a lot of young players not stepping up to their pedigree or their potential as of yet, a QB under a lot of pressure who will probably never be able to live up to his paycheck, in the eyes of ignorant fans and media...a coach who doesn't instill discipline or intelligence in his roster, which leads to lots of dumb penalties at the worst times even from good players, and total choke jobs from bad players. 

Just feels like a recipe for disaster, and the vibe going into this season reminds me a lot of the final seasons of many of our head coaches. Gruden just got a short extension (first of the Snyder era), but if things go badly enough with Cousins and the offense and his THIRD Defensive Coordinator doesn't work out, things could get ugly early. The schedule is tough, every team in our division has improved, and this team under Gruden has never shown to be very tough. Its not going to take much for the anonymous leaks to start up again and the backstabbing to begin. 

Just feels like that kind of season. Really, really hoping I'm wrong and Cousins balls out, Pryor balls out, defense over-performs, we're competitive against good teams, and make the playoffs. 

Just have this feeling that things are going to go very badly this year....like starting over without Gruden badly. Hopefully this would lead to Allen and Doug Williams going as well, and a legit GM being hired before the next coaching staff, but I'm not that optimistic.

Nothing quite feels right. The McCloughan/Cousins/Cravens drama so far and a very poor preseason has the whole fanbase quivering with tension and expecting failure...those years where we expect failure are the years where, when its given to us, we start looking forward to a high draft pick and a new regime very early in the season. That makes its way into the media, leaks into the lockerroom and snowballs....and before you know it, its week 10 and we're hungrily talking about QB prospects and many of us are secretly or quietly (or not) hoping for competitive losses that net us a higher draft pick.

We have a bunch of impact players on 1-year deals and a lot of young players not stepping up to their pedigree or their potential as of yet, a QB under a lot of pressure who will probably never be able to live up to his paycheck, in the eyes of ignorant fans and media...a coach who doesn't instill discipline or intelligence in his roster, which leads to lots of dumb penalties at the worst times even from good players, and total choke jobs from bad players. 

Just feels like a recipe for disaster, and the vibe going into this season reminds me a lot of the final seasons of many of our head coaches. Gruden just got a short extension (first of the Snyder era), but if things go badly enough with Cousins and the offense and his THIRD Defensive Coordinator doesn't work out, things could get ugly early. The schedule is tough, every team in our division has improved, and this team under Gruden has never shown to be very tough. Its not going to take much for the anonymous leaks to start up again and the backstabbing to begin. 

Just feels like that kind of season. Really, really hoping I'm wrong and Cousins balls out, Pryor balls out, defense over-performs, we're competitive against good teams, and make the playoffs. 
Yeah ok let's just do that last part then. 

Yeah ok let's just do that last part then. 

God I hope so. Going into this offseason, really felt like things were starting to come together. Just doesn't have that feeling for me anymore. Not that it matters what I feel...just has that vibe. I've been wrong before. Most of the time. Almost all the time. 

God I hope so. Going into this offseason, really felt like things were starting to come together. Just doesn't have that feeling for me anymore. Not that it matters what I feel...just has that vibe. I've been wrong before. Most of the time. Almost all the time. 
It's all so topsy turvy I've given up. Just bring on the games. 

It's all so topsy turvy I've given up. Just bring on the games. 
Ditto.  I am not optimistic but I also have become so numb to disappointment that I don't feel a bitter pessimism either.  That said, I'm still addicted enough to football that I will definitely be watching this Sunday.  And if they win, I will be on here predicting Super Bowl.  :D

I am not that optimistic about this season.  But sometimes low expectation are a good thing.  The Redskins have previously set expectations too high.

With the loss of McVeigh, Jackson, and Garcon, this is an opportunity for Gruden to really shine as a coach.  If he does well, things will go well.  If he falters, then not so good.

Fantasywise, I am not that optimistic about the Redskins.  In a redraft league, I ended up with Chris Thompson and Josh Doctson as late round fliers.  Thompson would need an expanded role to really have much value.  And I think Gruden really wants to limit his touches.  So that could easily be a wasted draft pick.

We caught a break with the Zeke ruling. His first game back after the suspension was going to be against the Skins. Now it's the week after. Of course that means Alfred Morris is set up for a 200 yard day. 

Sebowski said:
We caught a break with the Zeke ruling. His first game back after the suspension was going to be against the Skins. Now it's the week after. Of course that means Alfred Morris is set up for a 200 yard day. 
the luck is tilting our way finally!   But yea Alfred is gonna destroy us :lmao:

dgreen said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/09/06/kirk-cousins-has-a-new-old-testament-anecdote-to-explain-his-contract-position/

But, really, let's keep putting all the "blame" on the Redskins organization. I don't think there's any blame here. It seems that this might actually be the way they both want it to be. Kirk gets to stay true to his faith and the Redskins get to hold off on committing to someone they aren't 100% sure about. 
Oy vey!  I like Kirk, but "God likes using one year contracts..." etc.  This is like the extremely long list of boxers who "thank God" for helping them to victory, as their lifeless, prone victim picks himself up off the mat.  I think if there is a God, he's not likely interested in Kirk Cousins' contract situation.  I mean, we live in an era where more and more football players are suffering from brain problems due to a life time of damage sustained while playing for a small fraction of what guys like Kirk can pull down in only a few seasons -- but yeah, God was cool with all those guys getting hammered for pennies and meanwhile, he's guiding Kirk Cousins through a 24 + Million per season contract situation.  I mean, I would respect God more for guiding Jordan Reed to hang up his cleats before he turns himself into a vegetable!   Anyways, I do like Kirk but I find this distasteful and actually it shows him to be kind of self absorbed and a bit hypocrytical.  I mean, of course it's ok for him to worry about his contract of course, but there is no need to justify his interest in a.) getting paid, b.) getting respect, c.) playing for guys that he respects.  It's like he wants to say he's "above all that" by making it about "God."  It's like he's afraid that someone is going to accuse him of having an ego.

Don't read this to mean:  micapf is an atheist or "hates God" or whatever.  On the contrary...I'm down (in a good way) with spirituality -- just think it likely concerns deeper matters than NFL contracts.

I hope this happens; I'd still rather face Alf than Zeke, if only because we can at least run him down if he breaks out.

That said, there are still lots of legal options for Elliot and they could seek to delay this suspension until all the legal options are exhausted. See for example: http://deadspin.com/whats-going-on-with-the-ezekiel-elliott-case-and-what-1800818113

As a result, he could still end up playing the entire season and certainly against the Redskins.

I hope he's suspended for our first game of course.  But there is also such a thing as "Redskins Luck" ...

Users who are viewing this thread