What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

Yeah, Revis turns 31 well before the season starts. Norman won't be 29 until the 14th game of the season. Kinda of a big difference, dontcha think?
No. Ignoring the years, Norman has an extra 4 months of youth on him. Revis will only be 4 months into his 31st year when Norman turns 29. That isn't a big difference, i.e. closer to 2 years younger. If Revis turned 31 in February, right after last season then yes because it would be almost a complete year.

No. Ignoring the years, Norman has an extra 4 months of youth on him. Revis will only be 4 months into his 31st year when Norman turns 29. That isn't a big difference, i.e. closer to 2 years younger. If Revis turned 31 in February, right after last season then yes because it would be almost a complete year.
You live under power lines as a kid?

You live under power lines as a kid?
Are you really just an ###? Simple fractions. I'll spell it our for you. Norman is 2 years and 4 months younger than Revis. That is 2 1/3 years younger. Unless you forgot your 3rd grade fractions, 1/3 is closer to 0 than it is to 1. You really think that just because Revis turns 31 in July and Norman in December that it is a big difference? Sorry, it is a 4 month difference. Just because he gets in 14 games it isn't a big deal. Are you thinking that people age the year on their birthday? I am pretty sure people gradually age, so being almost 29 all season means he is about the same as someone who turns 29 just before the season, not closer to a person that turned 28 just before the season. Simple math and biology.

Does that make sense to you now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Weirdest post I've ever read. 

Weirdest post I've ever read. 
LOL, see my post above. It's a four month difference, that isn't a "big" difference, i.e. almost a year. Oh well, silly conversation anyway, not sure why I have to explain why I think of Norman as 29 since he turns 29 during the season. Enjoy him, we did while he was here.

nittanylion said:
Well, time to put 'In Scott We Trust' to the test...

unfortunately, the skeptic in me says that this doesn't feel like a McCloughan move. I fear Dirty Dan is at it again. Going into the weekend, we'll surely know who was behind this, if Scotch winds up with a DUI anytime in the next 72 hours...
This does not look like a Snyder move.  Snyder moves were always run out and blow their wad on the best guy out there.  This looks like The Redskins taking advantage of one of those situations where another team couldn't get something worked out.  I still haven't seen any reliable details yet, but it's also looking like a $36.5 million deal that they can get out of after 2 years fairly easily.  

Looks like $20 million guaranteed this year the Dirty Dan deals you reference were always backloaded that would put the team up against the cap year in and year out.

This does not look like a Snyder move.  Snyder moves were always run out and blow their wad on the best guy out there.  This looks like The Redskins taking advantage of one of those situations where another team couldn't get something worked out.  I still haven't seen any reliable details yet, but it's also looking like a $36.5 million deal that they can get out of after 2 years fairly easily.  

Looks like $20 million guaranteed this year the Dirty Dan deals you reference were always backloaded that would put the team up against the cap year in and year out.
agreed.

this looks a lot like the Gallette and DJax signings. Finding a good player at the end of what is the typical FA period.  

Late to the party here, but good move for the Skins. I haven't seen many of the national guys questioning the move, which says something about how the Skins are viewed now. Norman helps solidify a HUGE need this team had. Seems like if it goes south, we can get out after 2 years and move on, definitely a smart move by Scot there. Norman and Breeland should form a nice combo in the secondary. If we can get some DL help and an ILB in the draft, I'll be happy with this offseason.

I don't really have an opinion the signing.  It is all "In McCloughan we trust" for me.  In the past, I was always very skeptical of big free agent signings.

I think the big question is the status of Chris Culliver.  He was signed to be their top CB last year and suffered a serious knee injury.  Will he recover in time for next season?  Is he still in the picture?

I don't really have an opinion the signing.  It is all "In McCloughan we trust" for me.  In the past, I was always very skeptical of big free agent signings.

I think the big question is the status of Chris Culliver.  He was signed to be their top CB last year and suffered a serious knee injury.  Will he recover in time for next season?  Is he still in the picture?
I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone. They signed Greg Toler this offseason, and brought back Blackmon. I'm not sure there is a need for Culliver, especially at his salary.

I think that once he passes his physical, he's gone.

I think that once he passes his physical, he's gone.

I hope he's healthy and we keep him. Saw a stat somewhere that said we spent the majority of D snaps with 3 Corners on the field. That would be a great trio. And if one goes down we have extra cover. 

I hope he's healthy and we keep him. Saw a stat somewhere that said we spent the majority of D snaps with 3 Corners on the field. That would be a great trio. And if one goes down we have extra cover. 
I agree, would be ideal. Skins played a ton of nickel last yr, no doubt.

Cossell likes to throw around the stat that the NFL as a whole plays 2/3rds of defensive snaps in sub-packages(nickle/dime/prevent). 

Well, that's a ton of money for a corner, but we'll see I guess.  Really hoping that that guaranteed money is all upfront and in the first 3 years of the contract.  Also, he seems to have less wear on his tires than most 28/29 year old football players, so maybe he can last longer?

If Scot thinks it's a good idea, I'm more than willing to give him a shot.  Still surprised they did this though.

Well, that's a ton of money for a corner, but we'll see I guess.  Really hoping that that guaranteed money is all upfront and in the first 3 years of the contract.  Also, he seems to have less wear on his tires than most 28/29 year old football players, so maybe he can last longer?

If Scot thinks it's a good idea, I'm more than willing to give him a shot.  Still surprised they did this though.
He's guaranteed $36M in the first 2 years of the deal. After that, the Skins can move on with no big impact on the cap. Seems like a smart deal for the Skins and Norman still gets a bunch of money in guarantees.

Rumor floating around of a possible trade to acquire Kam Chancellor. Not sure if something is in the works or not.

Although I'm not yet ready to call it a strength, I'm a lot more confident in our Defensive Secondary. It's now in a state where we can focus on something else at 1.21.

If things fall out favorably, we're going to be able to grab one helluva NT with that pick. I can never have enough quality trench guys...

He's guaranteed $36M in the first 2 years of the deal. After that, the Skins can move on with no big impact on the cap. Seems like a smart deal for the Skins and Norman still gets a bunch of money in guarantees.
Look at the contract Janoris Jenkins got from New York.  Norman's is a bit higher than that and he's an upgrade.

Rumors like this have been going on since the end of the season since Scot was in Seattle before.  I'd be surprised if we do this, especially since Scot believes in building through the draft, but after the Norman pickup, who knows.

Also, looks like we'll probably keep Norman for 3 years at least (assuming he pans out the first 2) and with how contracts are going, if he can still play he could be a steal in 2019 and 2020 at ~$12 million.

Look at the contract Janoris Jenkins got from New York.  Norman's is a bit higher than that and he's an upgrade.
Don't look at that contract. Overpaid FAs aren't the ones to look at for contracts. That, like Vernon, was a big overpay for guys who aren't in or aren't close (in Jenkins case) to the top of their position.

Don't look at that contract. Overpaid FAs aren't the ones to look at for contracts. That, like Vernon, was a big overpay for guys who aren't in or aren't close (in Jenkins case) to the top of their position.
The overpaid FA contracts set the market, which The Redskins used to be a big part of.  Now they don't blow their wad in FA early and see what shakes out and make value buys.  Occasionally things work out fairly well, like with Jackson and now with Norman. 

I heard McCloughan on the radio today during his pre-draft press conference.  It sounded like they are keeping Culliver. Will Blackmon apparently played safety before and they will look at him there. Jarrett's recover is also going well.

McCloughan confidently said they were going to have a good draft.  This time, it sounded like there are multiple players they are looking at for pick 21.

McCloughan also said he will sacrifice speed and/or size for consistency.  So look for McCloughan to draft the more consistent player than the one with better measurable that don't show up in the tape.

I just want one draft, one, where when the Redskins make their pick, my first thought isn't "WTF??" Just take the player you SHOULD take, don't try getting cute. A good, solid draft.

At the time of the draft, no one knows who drafted well and who did not.  The only way to evaluate drafts is to look at them 3 or 4 years later.  And looking back on the Mike Shanahan drafts, they really weren't that good.  Although they were much better than the Vinny Cerato drafts when Zorn was the head coach.  But that is a low bar.

Marvelous said:
At the time of the draft, no one knows who drafted well and who did not.  The only way to evaluate drafts is to look at them 3 or 4 years later.  And looking back on the Mike Shanahan drafts, they really weren't that good.  Although they were much better than the Vinny Cerato drafts when Zorn was the head coach.  But that is a low bar.

Hang 10 said:
I don't want our GM using Mel Kiper jr's big board to make his picks. 
:goodpostings: 

I just want one draft, one, where when the Redskins make their pick, my first thought isn't "WTF??" Just take the player you SHOULD take, don't try getting cute. A good, solid draft.
How many WTF's were there in last years draft?

I was surprised where Matt Jones was drafted, and after watching him play I was too low on him, but I thought they got good value at all the other picks imo.

Hang 10 said:
I don't want our GM using Mel Kiper jr's big board to make his picks. 
I hear people say that often but doesn't the draft community hail Ozzy Newzome as one of the best GM's because he generally lets talent drop to him..... talent as ranked by the draft community? Up until last year(when they lost their QB/RB1/WR1/WR2 to injury) that has worked out well in BAL and they have drafted so many players that have stuck in the league BAL gets a big number of compensatory picks.

Lots of rumors of course, but a common trade partner I keep seeing mentioned for the Skins is the Browns where we get their 2nd round (1st overall in the second) and pick up a later round pick in the process. That jives with rumors that the Browns want to trade down from 8 and also maybe get back up into the first again if someone is sitting there they want at 21. Also jives with Scot liking to get more picks. It will be interesting. 

Most intriguing draft for the Skins in awhile. Think any position is in play in the 1st except QB, RB, TE, OT, and OG. When I think of immediate needs, I go (in no order): C, DT, DE, ILB, S. I wouldn't rule out a WR in the 1st either if there's on there that McCloughan likes. And of course, certainly can't rule out a trade to acquire more picks either. Should be fun!

I think it all depends on how the first 20 picks go.  If there's a Football Player they love at that spot, they'll jump all over it.  If not, I can see them trading down into the 2nd.

This Draft Class  is loaded on D. We need a boatload on D. Im rooting for a trade back for more picks for McCloughan  to play with. If we come out of this with a groomable  Noseguard, ILB and 2-way Safety I'll go nuts. Very do-able.

DallasDMac said:
Sorry, I admittedly thought I was in the thread for my other team when I posted this.
If you team is Dallas, you can have all the WTF moments.  We have had more than our share the past two decades.

In previous interviews, McCloughan has been very open about what he looks for and how he drafts.  He basic thoughts are:

1.  The goal is to get football players.

2.  The tape doesn't lie (relies heavily on reviewing game tape)

3.  Needs to interview kids to know that they will work to get to the next level.

4.  Football is won with big players (sounds like all positions, but a focus on O-Line and D-Line)

5.  And new this year:  he will sacrifice size and speed for consistency

6.  You don't pass up good players based on who you have on your roster

He is so open about this, yet no one knows how he has players rated and who he will take.

Based on all this, every position is in play in the draft.  But McCloughan loves big defensive linemen, offensive linemen, and pass rushers.  And this draft is deep in defensive linemen.  He did state in an interview that they were in good shape on the pass rushers (outside linebackers).

I am hoping that 3 of the first 4 picks include 2 DL and 1 OL.  And of course, McCloughan picks the right guys.

Looks like the Skins just traded down one spot and picked up a 6th round pick next  year. Still probably get their guy. Good trade for the skins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread