What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (7 Viewers)

It is an interesting dilemma they have put themselves in.

If you start playing Haskins (especially against the Pats) he may get killed and destroyed just like RG3 and that Carr from the Texans did.    

if you don't start playing Haskins to save him from this beating and they are in the top 4 pick discussion you have all of those quarterbacks available that you probably can't touch without starting another RG3 thing on a QB you know nothing about.

If Colt McCoy can even limp to the huddle he is starting against the Pats.  Gruden doesn't want Haskins and I seriously doubt he want Case either.

More of same.  If anything it is getting worse because Gruden knows he's gone and is looking for next job.

If Bruce d!psh!t Allen survives this year, I encourage FedEx to be 0% Redskins fan occupied next year.  It may already be that.

Thankfully I've got a few hundred on the under for wins.  No chance in hell they are getting to 6.  Feeling pretty safe with that bet.

There is evidence to suggest that Gruden’s tenure represents close to the best that Washington can be with Snyder and Allen living in their aloof bubble. That sounds ludicrous at first, then sobering, then mortifying.

A firing is supposed to be an opportunity to foster new hope. Good luck with that. The Redskins figure to dismiss Gruden soon, but the organizational stench shall remain
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/jay-gruden-will-be-fired-but-he-may-be-the-best-man-for-this-particularly-awful-job/2019/09/30/2f98e174-e36d-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html

get gruden gone.  That article does have a point.  And i think the only way forward is to fire Bruce as well.  No good coach will come here while Bruce is still here.  

And for god sakes start giving Haskins some reps in practice with the ones.  If he has a chance of seeing the field they have to give him a chance.  They did him dirty on Sunday.  

I now firmly believe the Redskins should sit Haskins the full year.  It will do little for his development to run an offense that most likely, the players don't believe in.  That is my primary belief on why the offense has been so bad.  The same reason applies to the defense.  

Next year will almost certainly have a new offense with a new coaching staff.  Hopefully one that can work with Haskins.  Or you may get another Gruden/RGIII situation, because that is what the Redskins do.

"Do you think Dwayne Haskins feels totally supported in this process? These are the kinds of things I talk about all the time, setting people up for success," Riddick said. "That young man right now is being set up for failure. Dan Snyder needs to recognize that."
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/louis-riddick-redskins-handling-dwayne-haskins-young-man-being-set-failure

"Dwayne Haskins going into that game was really one of the worst decisions I've seen this year as far as how people handle young quarterbacks,"

fatness said:
He's still going to do everything he can do to keep Haskins from getting a full week of preparation for a game.  Really, I'd fire Gruden right now just for that.
We'll find out who's starting at QB tomorrow. My guess is that it'll be McCoy, and that McCoy isn't ready either physically or due to lack of practice. Keenum will be inactive. McCoy will come out of the game and Gruden will put in Haskins again, despite no first team reps, against the New England Patriots.

Stephen Ahole Smith reporting Gruden will be fired no later than Monday after the Patriots kill us. Sad that I'm as excited about that as anything the Skins have shown this year other than Scary Terry. I just hope Allen goes with him, but you know that's not going to happen. But we can all pray....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I see last Sunday as simply a situation where they couldn't keep Keenum out there and the backup happens to be Haskins because that's all they have at the time. If McCoy was healthy, Haskins would be inactive every game and we wouldn't have to talk about this. But, McCoy isn't healthy, so what else are they going to do? Gruden didn't want to put Haskins in but I think he felt like Keenum gave him no choice. Also, Gruden did make some comments about Keenum's foot potentially bothering him during the game. Yes, technically, they could have left Keenum in, but who knows what that would have led to. (OK, I'm not going to be all that surprised to learn that Snyder/Allen made the call and told Gruden to put in Haskins.)

I'm not Gruden's biggest fan. I have issues with him as a head coach. But, I really can't get excited about firing him. Even firing Allen wouldn't get me all that excited. They will both be followed by some other hires by Snyder that won't work either. I said it years ago when people were bashing Gibbs 2.0, but those four years just might end up being the glory days for Snyder's ownership. I think someday Snyder might get lucky and have some success; whether that's stumbling upon a good GM, coach, or QB in the draft. My hope for this team is only based on getting lucky. My expectation with every change in the front office, coaching staff, roster, or the stadium is that it all leads to the same failed end result.

Stephen Ahole Smith reporting Gruden will be fired no later than Monday after the Patriots kill us. Sad that I'm as excited about that as anything the Skins have shown this year other than Scary Terry. I just hope Allen goes with him, but you know that's not going to happen. But we can all pray....
Gruden should be fired, but is now really the time?  I don't think so.  Only if there's a chance the coach for next season is sitting on the sidelines.  I could see Manusky getting the ax ASAP.

We don't want Bruce picking anything.  Not the next HC.  Not the DC.  Not even the dishwasher in the cafeteria. 

On another note, why the F haven’t the Skins trade Trent Williams yet????? There is no logical reason to keep him at this point. Let’s get some value why there’s still value to be had. 

Now I know why the Redskins did not want to invest long term into Kirk Cousins. "You like that!!"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2019/10/1/20893640/redskins-roster-moves-wr-robert-davis-and-s-adonis-alexander-released

why drop Davis again?  Eventually someone is gonna snag him.  For that matter why is Jordan Reed even taking a roster spot.  Pay him a wad of cash to take care of him but don’t let him back on the field; it’s criminal.  There I created a spot.

i hate Bruce Allen and jay and dan and also myself for being a Redskins fan
Obviously they hope to get Davis back on the PS. I heard someone say that this should be a good sign that McLaurin will be ready to go this week. But, it would be very Redskins for them to cut Davis in anticipation of McLaurin coming back and then someone else signs Davis and then McLaurin isn't ready to play.

And, yeah, ridiculous that Reed is taking up a roster spot.

They really need to do whatever they can to take as many cap hits as they can this season. Injury settlement and cut Reed. Trade Trent. Cut Alex Smith. If those moves can fit in this year's cap and have less affect on future years caps, then they need to do it. But, of course, they probably think they'll make the playoffs if they can just get Reed and Trent back on the field.

Oh, and Vernon Davis is in the concussion protocol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/01/coaching-malpractice-analysts-rip-jay-gruden-playing-dwayne-haskins-against-giants/%3foutputType=amp

worth a read and a good argument as to why jay needs to be fired  now. Maybe we don’t have a great replacement but you can’t just let jay ruin Haskins.  Give the reins to Connell once the pats put the final nail in jays coffin
I came to post that article, so thanks. Some snippets:

“I call it coaching malpractice,” former NFL quarterback Dan Orlovsky replied. “That’s often why we see young quarterbacks in the NFL get ruined.”
NFL Network’s Steve Wyche questioned Gruden’s motivation for calling upon Haskins with the Redskins trailing 14-0 in the second quarter. After the game, Gruden said he was concerned that Keenum, who missed a pair of touchdown throws, was bothered by a sore foot that kept him out of practice one day last week.

“The question you have to be asking about Washington moving forward is, did Gruden put [Haskins] out there to say, ‘Look, he wasn’t ready, like I’ve been telling you’?” Wyche said on “NFL Now.” “From everything I’ve heard, Jay Gruden has total control over the quarterback decision.”
On Pro Football Talk’s Overtime Live, Chris Simms wondered about Gruden’s handling of his team’s quarterback situation.

“If they knew going into the game that [Keenum] might be on a short leash, and he has a banged-up foot, they should’ve just gone with Dwayne Haskins to start the week because they put Dwayne Haskins in a tough spot,” Simms said. “He didn’t really get the full week of practice and reps with the first team to put him in position [to succeed], nor did the team get to game-plan specifically around him and put a game plan together that accentuates his strengths and hides some of the flaws. I just don’t get that.”

More

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001061319/article/jay-gruden-has-no-plan-decision-on-starting-qb

jay might not name a starting QB til Sunday.  

So no one will get all the first team reps leading up to the hardest opponent of the year.

Good God

Obviously they hope to get Davis back on the PS. I heard someone say that this should be a good sign that McLaurin will be ready to go this week. But, it would be very Redskins for them to cut Davis in anticipation of McLaurin coming back and then someone else signs Davis and then McLaurin isn't ready to play.

And, yeah, ridiculous that Reed is taking up a roster spot.

They really need to do whatever they can to take as many cap hits as they can this season. Injury settlement and cut Reed. Trade Trent. Cut Alex Smith. If those moves can fit in this year's cap and have less affect on future years caps, then they need to do it. But, of course, they probably think they'll make the playoffs if they can just get Reed and Trent back on the field.

Oh, and Vernon Davis is in the concussion protocol.
We dropped Holtz weeks ago because Jay was confident Reed would come back.  Reed never came back and Holtz got picked up.  Now we’re down to Jeremy Sprinkle and some guy who the Lions dropped sometime ago...

On a positive note, at least the Nats won last night!  😀

To make this Redskins related, it was so awesome to see the crowd just go ape ####e when Soto cranked the game winning hit.  Snyder May never see a crowd react like that in his stadium...

From Rotoworld: 

When asked what the Redskins' plan is at quarterback for Week 5 against the Patriots, coach Jay Gruden replied, "We don't have one."

Not ideal. Colt McCoy is now healthy and is expected to throw his name into the mix for the week-to-week gig. Case Keenum was benched midway through last week's loss to the Giants, and rookie Dwayne Haskins wasn't any good in relief. This team is a mess, and Gruden's hold on the head-coaching job is a day-by-day thing at this point.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 12:32 PM ET

babydemon90 said:
Was there any thought to keeping Sean McVay  back in 2016 and letting Gruden walk? Obviously hidsight is 20/20 but man that woulda been the shark move.
cmon now.  that would require sound leadership and decision making. 

I finally had to pick a new team to root for last year. 35 years a Redskin fan. I just despise Snyder and know he's not going anywhere. My favorite player of all time is still Darrell Green though. 

Good luck to the fans that stay and don't call me a bandwagon fan. I don't blame anybody for quitting on a team run this poorly with a young owner. They are literally never going to be competitive. 

babydemon90 said:
Was there any thought to keeping Sean McVay  back in 2016 and letting Gruden walk? Obviously hidsight is 20/20 but man that woulda been the shark move.
I remember it being discussed on talk radio at the time, but the consensus was it would be too big a jump and McVay wasn't ready yet...

I finally had to pick a new team to root for last year. 35 years a Redskin fan. I just despise Snyder and know he's not going anywhere. My favorite player of all time is still Darrell Green though. 

Good luck to the fans that stay and don't call me a bandwagon fan. I don't blame anybody for quitting on a team run this poorly with a young owner. They are literally never going to be competitive. 
https://twitter.com/cooler2394/status/1179188187945672709?s=21

Just curious, what team did you pick and how did you make the decision?

hammerva said:
:goodposting:

Based on the last hour and twitter

So this is basically a human sacrifice right?  Does anybody think his leg is close to 80% healthy.  On that ####ty field.  Against that team
After he gets injured in the first quarter, Haskins will have to go in with no first team reps.  Unless Haskins gets the Peterson treatment and doesn’t dress

Serious question: when was the last time that a 1st round rookie QB was the 3rd-string backup after Week 4?

Followup question: has any 1st round/3rd string QB ever developed into a viable starting quarterback in the NFL?

hammerva said:
Gruden the inspiring leader.  He looks like a deer that got run over and didn't die.

So, Colt McCoy next week?
:goodposting:

Based on the last hour and twitter

So this is basically a human sacrifice right?  Does anybody think his leg is close to 80% healthy.  On that ####ty field.  Against that team
McCoy won't finish the game either because of injury reasons or turnover reasons. People forget he turns the ball over a good bit when he plays.

Since I'm on a roll of 1 consecutve correct prediction, I'll try another:  So, Duane Haskins next week?

Sept. 24th. - Gruden:  "No really, no," Gruden said. "I think the most important thing is we have to have some continuity. You know, I can't be changing people every five minutes here. I've gotta give Case an ample opportunity to play with these new guys. 

Today -  Who's QB this week? Gruden: 'Colt McCoy'. :lmao:

Milkman said:

I can't say that I blame you. For me it's a bit different.

I've been s Skins fan since Sonny was throwing to Charley, been through misery and glory and misery again with them. Dan Snyder is younger than me, but I have 2 sons who are Redskin fans, and a 17-year-old grandson who's a fanatical Redskin fan. I will probably die before Snyder, but my kids and grandkids will outlive that mother ####### piece of #### worm and that's good enough for me. I won't see good Skins teams again, but those coming after me will.

Love and hate are deep emotions. Very ####### deep.

HTTR

Serious question: when was the last time that a 1st round rookie QB was the 3rd-string backup after Week 4?

Followup question: has any 1st round/3rd string QB ever developed into a viable starting quarterback in the NFL?
Was Daunte Culpepper inactive most of his rookie year? He appeared in one game, and had three rush attempts, and Jeff George and Randall Cunningham were the only QBs to throw passes for the Vikings that season.

I am sure that is a complete coincidence that on a day where the decision was made a video started popping (and now gone) of Gruden having a good ole time in the One Loudon area from about 2 years ago

I am sure that is a complete coincidence that on a day where the decision was made a video started popping (and now gone) of Gruden having a good ole time in the One Loudon area from about 2 years ago
I heard about that on the drive home from work and the first thing I thought was "front office did this". Original account that posted them is now protected, but the videos are still around.

Are these recent?  Gruden does not look amused in the first video 😂😂😂
I heard they are from 2 years ago. And I think someone gave him some grief in the first one (I'm having touble hearing the sound). Pretty obvious what he's smoking. Hope he didn't drive that night.

babydemon90 said:
Of course not.    This is the Redskins' "braintrust" that we're talking about here.   

Users who are viewing this thread