What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

Serious question: when was the last time that a 1st round rookie QB was the 3rd-string backup after Week 4?

Followup question: has any 1st round/3rd string QB ever developed into a viable starting quarterback in the NFL?
I mean usually the coach is on board with a 1st round rookie, so 3rd string is a stretch. Lots were #2 of course. Most teams wouldn't even carry 2 vet QB's with a young 1st round QB though.

Serious question: when was the last time that a 1st round rookie QB was the 3rd-string backup after Week 4?

Followup question: has any 1st round/3rd string QB ever developed into a viable starting quarterback in the NFL?
I mean usually the coach is on board with a 1st round rookie, so 3rd string is a stretch. Lots were #2 of course. Most teams wouldn't even carry 2 vet QB's with a young 1st round QB though.

“Gruden said he's starting McCoy because the veteran has the most experience in his offense, having played in it since 2014.”

by this logic McCoy will be starting forever!  It’s a shame.  On kiems podcast there is a good interview with Haskins.  He says has had gotten zero work with the ones.  Limited reps with the practice team.    And i get why gruden does it.  Which is why his tenure needs to end. 

Is anyone watching this game this weekend? I won't get it here so not an option. But even if it were, I can't imagine turning it on. No QB, best WR likely out again. Top opponent. Game will likely be "over" before halftime. Just wonder how many skins fans are still gluttons for the punishment?

Edit: Well I'll be, it is on here for whatever reason. Not sure if it is because of Pats worship or the fact the skins are a division opponent of the boys. So I guess I will be actively not watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Gruden said he's starting McCoy because the veteran has the most experience in his offense, having played in it since 2014.”

by this logic McCoy will be starting forever!  It’s a shame.  On kiems podcast there is a good interview with Haskins.  He says has had gotten zero work with the ones.  Limited reps with the practice team.    And i get why gruden does it.  Which is why his tenure needs to end. 
McCoy will be the starting QB as long as Gruden is the head coach.  I mean seriously he wanted McCoy to play last game against the Eagles when it is clear he has a serious leg injury. 

But that countdown clock on his career is at 8 hours right now.  

Sad to say it, but the Skins have sunk so low right now that an 11 point loss to the Patriots might be good enough to save Gruden's job for a week.

QB Case Keenum, TE Jordan Reed, TE Vernon Davis, G Brandon Scherff, C R Pierschbacher, LB Josh Harvey-Clemons, CB Aaron Colvin
That means Flowers is at LG and Wes Martin is at RG. I think.

Looking at the crowd, anybody in a Redskins jersey at this game should get 50% to season tickets next year for showing so much faith.  I mean it looks 70% Pats

Sad to say it, but the Skins have sunk so low right now that an 11 point loss to the Patriots might be good enough to save Gruden's job for a week.
a loss to miami after would seal it though.  And funny you say that.  It would be a redskins thing to do to make this competitive surprisingly.

McCoy will be the starting QB as long as Gruden is the head coach.  I mean seriously he wanted McCoy to play last game against the Eagles when it is clear he has a serious leg injury. 

But that countdown clock on his career is at 8 hours right now.  
Yup.  And this is the issue.  Its a great system.  But its so complicated that you need years to learn it.  Teams dont have that sort of time these days.  Mccoy always looks decent but hes not ready to hold it down long term.  And if you cant coach the players up quickly then maybe we need a new system. 

Looking at the latest score updates, probably not a factor. Seems the skins are keeping up their penchant for getting completely outclassed after halftime. Which is definitely on Gruden.

"Awful on field and directionless off"

Opposing fans invaded FedEx Field. Washington’s quarterback performed like the journeyman the entire league knows he is. Its coach was vastly outmaneuvered after halftime. None of this is new or surprising or even interesting anymore, but the familiarity makes it no less embarrassing.
The Redskins have no direction. They have a team president who understands how to placate an owner at the expense of progress. Allen overestimated the talent on the Redskins roster, letting last year’s 6-3 start delude him into saying, and maybe even thinking, Washington was “close” to playoff contention. Those sentiments were false
The season has unfolded in a manner predictable for everyone except Allen.
Washington needs to give Haskins a chance to develop. Given restraints regarding practice time, the only way for him to receive ample practice reps is to name him the starter. It also needs to find out what it has in Haskins, because evaluating him may become essential to next year’s draft. Haskins may not be ready. Let’s find out, because the alternative — losing with Keenum or McCoy — accomplishes nothing.

This would be a good time to trade Keenum to the Steelers. It would also be a good time to trade Trent Williams. The only way he'll play for Washington is if Bruce Allen isn't here, but firing Bruce would deprive Danny Boy from having someone close tell him soothing things and lick his nipples.

Galdi's take is that they should use this time to innovate:  promote Kevin O'Connell to interim head coach and see if they have something there.  Points to the fact that they had McVay on staff at one time and let him go.  While it's not a lock that Connell will turn out to be one of the next young offensive minds to transition to HC, you will never know unless you try.  And what is the alternative -- promoting Callahan or Tomsula? -- two retreads who you KNOW are not the future.  So Galdi's take is promote O'Connell and start Haskins from here on out. You need to see if you have something with these two.  "

An interesting take that is worth considering...

Bruce Allen 1:00 presser better be two things:

1.  Announcing he quit

2.  Telling people that they still "winning off the field" so I can laugh my ### off 

This morning is like Christmas Eve when you’re allowed to open one present. Hopefully the big present will come later today with the firing of Bruce Allen. Or, it’ll just be another disappointing Christmas with Dan Snyder in charge. 

HTT_?

Bruce Allen 1:00 presser better be two things:

1.  Announcing he quit

2.  Telling people that they still "winning off the field" so I can laugh my ### off 
Don't forget:

3. "We're really close to being a playoff team..."

🤢

Love that they apparently fired him at 5 IN THE MORNING.  Not at night.  Not a couple hours after the game.  5 in the morning on a Monday.   I mean even Jerry Jones would have waited until 8.  Granted because Jerry would be too hungover to wake up at 5 in the morning but still

Who I feel bad for are all the coaches that Bruce, Vinny, and Dan have destroyed careers for by failing on the evaluation of talent end.  No coach comes here better than when they arrived.  NONE. Turner was happily run out of town and survived as a good OC elsewhere.  But he was seen as lesser than when he arrived..  Marty.  Shanny.  Gruden.  All took major steps down in their perceptions.  Even Gibbs II tarnished his rep a bit.   Zorn and Robiskie's short tenures took them down from better future assistant coach positions.  Spurrier went from living the life at Florida to being average at South Carolina.

Gruden had basically given up.  Like a dog that's been beat too many times.  He's probably happy to be home, getting paid, and not dealing with this dump of a team.

Of future concern is that by firing Jay now rather than season end, Bruce seems to have survived again.  Maybe he'll "resign" end of season.  But I think he and Dan sit in that back room and fantasize about how their next decision will be the one that fixes everything.  I can see them now trying to figure out how to get Urban Meyer here - I mean he's OSU and knows Haskins and McLaurin, so he must be the next savior.

I think of all the front office mess Jay has been through and feel sorry for him.  The talent evaluation side of this team has been blown up several times since he came here.  He's had limited say in the roster whether it's been McCloughan for a while or Allen/Snyder most of the time.  Even the basic stuff this year.  Losing Trent because of other issues.  Never having solid backups to deal with the injuries.  Being saddled with Josh Norman and Josh Doctson for a couple of years.  Reed's injuries.  Guice injury.  The RG3/Cousins controversies.  Waking up to find out Alex Smith or Case Keenum is your QB with limited, if any, say in it.  Being told Haskins will be on the team when you don't believe in him.  I'm not sure he even made the call with AP earlier this year.  AP is really good friends with Trent.  Wonder if the front office was using AP as a lure to get Williams back on the field.  Who knows.  He's just had to deal with a lot of BS.

And so will the next coach unless Dan fires Bruce and by some miracle finds a real football executive to run the show. 

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

Full-time coaches hired by Dan Snyder and their records: Marty Schottenheimer 8-8

Steve Spurrier 12-20

Joe Gibbs 30-34

Jim Zorn: 12-20

Mike Shanahan: 24-40

Jay Gruden: 35-49-1
I think I see the problem

I had to laugh at this:

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS 3h3 hours ago

Here’s today’s plan - Podcast stream at 1030, Bruce presser at 1, emergency podcast after that

Love that they apparently fired him at 5 IN THE MORNING.  Not at night.  Not a couple hours after the game.  5 in the morning on a Monday. 
They called him last night and told him to be there at 5 am, so he got to sleep on it before it actually happened. Class organization.

They called him last night and told him to be there at 5 am, so he got to sleep on it before it actually happened. Class organization.
He's probably thrilled it was so early.  It's a short drive back to Creighton Farms.  He can text Colt on the way home, so they can tee off by 8 am and get in 36 holes.

How'd you like to be on the Skins coaching staff right now.  100% lame ducks for 11 games.

Who I feel bad for are all the coaches that Bruce, Vinny, and Dan have destroyed careers for by failing on the evaluation talent end.  No coach comes here better than when they arrived.  NONE. Turner was happily run out of town and survived as a good OC elsewhere.  But he was seen as lesser than when he arrived..  Marty.  Shanny.  Gruden.  All took major steps down in their perceptions.  Even Gibbs II tarnished his rep a bit.   Zorn and Robiskie's short tenures took them down from better future assistant coach positions.  Spurrier went from living the life at Florida to being average at South Carolina.

Gruden had basically given up.  Like a dog that's been beat too many times.  He's probably happy to be home, getting paid, and not dealing with this dump of a team.

Of future concern is that by firing Jay now rather than season end, Bruce seems to have survived again.  Maybe he'll "resign" end of season.  But I think he and Dan sit in that back room and fantasize about how their next decision will be the one that fixes everything.  I can see them now trying to figure out how to get Urban Meyer here - I mean he's OSU and knows Haskins and McLaurin, so he must be the next savior.

I think of all the front office mess Jay has been through and feel sorry for him.  The talent evaluation side of this team has been blown up several times since he came here.  He's had limited say in the roster whether it's been McCloughan for a while or Allen/Snyder most of the time.  Even the basic stuff this year.  Losing Trent because of other issues.  Never having solid backups to deal with the injuries.  Being saddled with Josh Norman and Josh Doctson for a couple of years.  Reed's injuries.  Guice injury.  The RG3/Cousins controversies.  Waking up to find out Alex Smith or Case Keenum is your QB with limited, if any, say in it.  Being told Haskins will be on the team when you don't believe in him.  I'm not sure he even made the call with AP earlier this year.  AP is really good friends with Trent.  Wonder if the front office was using AP as a lure to get Williams back on the field.  Who knows.  He's just had to deal with a lot of BS.

And so will the next coach unless Dan fires Bruce and by some miracle finds a real football executive to run the show. 
Resign, or re-sign?

Resign, or re-sign?
Quit.  I believe I used the term properly.  At some point Bruce is outta here even if it's on his own accord.  His personal life points to it (sold McLean house, bought CA house, kids in college so out of Langley, etc.) . But maybe that's just me hoping.

This morning is like Christmas Eve when you’re allowed to open one present. Hopefully the big present will come later today with the firing of Bruce Allen. Or, it’ll just be another disappointing Christmas with Dan Snyder in charge. 

HTT_?
It's like the first present you open being a video game for a gaming system you don't have. You then expect that appropriately shaped wrapped box in the back to be the gaming system. But it's not. It's one of those trick presents where a small-sized gift is put in a big box and it's another game for the same gaming system you don't have. And you never actually get the gaming system and you realize those initial gifts are meaningless because the gift that makes all other gifts work is never coming. But the gift-giver gets you all excited by giving you gifts that imply that the meaningful gift is coming some day. But it's not coming.

Galdi's take is that they should use this time to innovate:  promote Kevin O'Connell to interim head coach and see if they have something there.  Points to the fact that they had McVay on staff at one time and let him go.  While it's not a lock that Connell will turn out to be one of the next young offensive minds to transition to HC, you will never know unless you try.  And what is the alternative -- promoting Callahan or Tomsula? -- two retreads who you KNOW are not the future.  So Galdi's take is promote O'Connell and start Haskins from here on out. You need to see if you have something with these two.  "

An interesting take that is worth considering...
I love innovation. Wish teams would take more chances. I'd be all for this, while simultaneously admitting it doesn't matter because real change will never happen (see my previous gift analogy).

I love innovation. Wish teams would take more chances. I'd be all for this, while simultaneously admitting it doesn't matter because real change will never happen (see my previous gift analogy).
And now is the time to take chances because it's not like the Redskins are going to do any worse.

Just watched Moneyball last night for the first time (I had read the book). It's amazing that people keep doing the same things without success because "that's the way things are done". Try something different. At worst, you will find a new way to fail to avoid in the future.

And now is the time to take chances because it's not like the Redskins are going to do any worse.

Just watched Moneyball last night for the first time (I had read the book). It's amazing that people keep doing the same things without success because "that's the way things are done". Try something different. At worst, you will find a new way to fail to avoid in the future.
My son just texted me saying that he heard the Redskins might target Tomlin in the offseason. Very innovative!

Ed Werder‏Verified account @WerderEdESPN

In a recent conversation with someone who knows Dan Snyder well and is aware of his thoughts on potential next #Redskins head coaches that any list of candidates would include: #Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, #Bucs DC Todd Bowles, #Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy.

Users who are viewing this thread