What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

I think the market is cold for Breeland because he failed his physical with the Panthers.

April 3 article

The Skins would be foolish to not put the tender on him, and I don't know why they're not offering him at least a low-to-moderate contract. I think he's been pretty darn good for the Skins, and the times he's looked back were usually on plays that involved switching assignments during a play (passing off a receiver to a safety). For some reason I think theSkins just do not like him. Even if they don't like him they should tender him. Once he's proven he's healthy again, if another team signs him the Skins may get some draft compensation for him. I don't know why they'd pass that up.
This is the weirdest injury I’ve ever heard of. An injury from the fourth grade? WTF?

For some reason I think theSkins just do not like him. 
I just assumed the bad blood came from any contract negotiations that took place with regard to an extension. 

It seemed to me the 'Skins LIKED him, but he wanted to get paid like a team LOVED him(and to be fair CAR seemed pretty close before the injury thing came up). Now, Breeland is going to need to re-assess the landscape. Even if the injury is a complete non-factor just being a FA later in the process costs you huge. Nobody thinks Ryan Grant really ever had an injury and look at how much smaller his second contract was signed for than his first contract. If the Packers were the team bidding up CAR in the first place... well, they have no interest in Breeland after the draft.

Breeland is going to have to swallow his pride here no matter where he ends up. WAS is in a desperate position imo at CB. They could have drafted a couple of guys in the middle rounds of a deep CB group but they failed to do so before the 7th round. 

It's kind of like a divorced couple living in the same house until they can sell it for more. WAS put themselves in a position where they NEED him. Breeland has all the incentive in the world to play for his NEXT contract. 

MikeApf said:
I agree with you.  Particularly after losing Fuller, why go out of your way to lose another decent corner.  Back when the reason was "too much money", I didn't like it but I still UNDERSTOOD it.  The Redskins behavior is not rational here.  But they seem to have a history of just "not liking" guys all of a sudden.  Yet another reason why Bruce Allen is such a terrible front office guy...
I think Allen and Co are convinced that the biggest issue on the team last year was injury.  From the few things I've paid attention to coming out of Redskins Park it seems as if they think staying healthy will be their biggest free agency acquisition.  

I'm hoping this Cheerleader story spins up enough that Dan will be forced to sell.

fatness said:
I think the market is cold for Breeland because he failed his physical with the Panthers
I should have elaborated on that. I think the market is cold for him because he failed his Panthers physical, and because it isn't know when he'll be well and able to play and what efffect it'll have on his play. Once teams know that he'll get offers. Right now I think teams would be guessing with an offer.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
This is the weirdest injury I’ve ever heard of. An injury from the fourth grade? WTF?
He cut the back of his leg, it requires skin grafts, it isn't healed yet and he doesn't know when it will be, yet he can still walk around. It's weird. Kind of hard to picture.

I think Allen and Co are convinced that the biggest issue on the team last year was injury.  From the few things I've paid attention to coming out of Redskins Park it seems as if they think staying healthy will be their biggest free agency acquisition.  
"This will be the year that Jordan Reed and Shaun Lauvao and Phil Taylor finally stay healthy" seems like a crap plan to me.

"This will be the year that Jordan Reed and Shaun Lauvao and Phil Taylor finally stay healthy" seems like a crap plan to me.
... and don't forget two of their most important additions this offseason were Richardson and Scandrick, both of who'm have had a fair share of health issues in the past. 

PFT

Per a league source, Washington has parted ways with Scott Campbell, who served most recently was Senior Personnel Executive. Hired back in 2001 as Director of College Scouting, he became Pro Personnel Director from 2002 through 2005. He returned to the college scouting job in 2006, becoming the Director of Player Personnel in 2008. Campbell remained the team’s Director of Player Personnel until 2015, when he once again became the Director of College Scouting.

I'm not a Redskin fan, but I think they have a pretty good shot at beating ARZ week #1 whether they are favored or not. Let's assume Bradford is 100%(big assumption), I don't really think ARZ is built to take advantage of WAS's biggest weakness: CB. The 'Skins have one guy that can cover and ARZ only has one guy that has proven he needs to get covered. The game may come down to the re-tooled DL vs David Johnson and that ARZ OL doesn't scare many people. There's even a pretty good chance a rookie will be playing his first start at QB for ARZ. These are the types of games where I think Alex Smith has a better chance of leading WAS to a win than Cousins. IMO all he has to do is distribute the ball and not make mistakes(especially at the end of a half) and WAS should be able to game manage this team to a 1-0 record. Seems like a 3-2 start is pretty likely to me.

I also don't know how you can really favor NYG/TB until we see them play better than they did last season. I wouldn't really consider those as much of "upsets" either. Those are both teams that could go complete TITANIC if they get off to a slow start. If I were to call my shot for a "REAL" upset it would probably be vs TEN late in the year. That's a young team that might get buried by JAX/HOU in the standings and may be mailing it in by December. I'm bullish on their fantasy prospects but they are trying to radically change that offense and wouldn't be surprised if there were growing pains early in the year.

I'm calling it a 7-win season, but as always with WAS injuries can make all the difference.

I'm not a Redskin fan, but I think they have a pretty good shot at beating ARZ week #1 whether they are favored or not. Let's assume Bradford is 100%(big assumption), I don't really think ARZ is built to take advantage of WAS's biggest weakness: CB. The 'Skins have one guy that can cover and ARZ only has one guy that has proven he needs to get covered. The game may come down to the re-tooled DL vs David Johnson and that ARZ OL doesn't scare many people. There's even a pretty good chance a rookie will be playing his first start at QB for ARZ. These are the types of games where I think Alex Smith has a better chance of leading WAS to a win than Cousins. IMO all he has to do is distribute the ball and not make mistakes(especially at the end of a half) and WAS should be able to game manage this team to a 1-0 record. Seems like a 3-2 start is pretty likely to me.

I also don't know how you can really favor NYG/TB until we see them play better than they did last season. I wouldn't really consider those as much of "upsets" either. Those are both teams that could go complete TITANIC if they get off to a slow start. If I were to call my shot for a "REAL" upset it would probably be vs TEN late in the year. That's a young team that might get buried by JAX/HOU in the standings and may be mailing it in by December. I'm bullish on their fantasy prospects but they are trying to radically change that offense and wouldn't be surprised if there were growing pains early in the year.

I'm calling it a 7-win season, but as always with WAS injuries can make all the difference.
I predicted 6-10 and that was after going over their schedule the first time. I only saw 5 game I thought they'd win, but I figured they'd grab another one near the end of the season that they should lose (Tennessee maybe).  That 6-10 included beating the Cardinals.

Now that I've thought of it some more, I don't think they'll beat the Cardinals. The Skins usually start a season (and come out of the bye week) flat and unprepared. And I think they'll lose what should be a winnable game.  I'll still stick with 6-10 though, and figure they'll win 2 that I'm now figuring they'll lose.

These are the types of games where I think Alex Smith has a better chance of leading WAS to a win than Cousins.
This leads into what will get the Skins out of their gradual decline like molasses downhill in February. It sure as hell isn't Gruden. The guy has one playbook he sticks to, is constantly outcoached at the end of halves, outight loses games with bad clock management, panics when he's behind by 7 or 10 in the second quarter, never tries to establish a working running game, doesn't adjust during games, doesn't pay a lick of attention to defense, and is as good at inspiration, creativity, and motivation as cardboard is. A player or players would have to be the one(s) to motivate the team and show them what's expected, what's needed, and get them to do it. The player currently on the team who (to me, now) seem like they can do that is Alex Smith. I have high hopes for his motivational effect. The inspiration/motivation alone (without the "this is how, this is what you do") might come from the performance of several players: Guice, John Allen, Zach Brown, perhaps Payne. That's how I think they reverse their decline, if they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that. Here's the image a little larger.
I don't know if people noticed but the week 17 game in WAS against PHI isn't on that schedule.

People will think I'm crazy but I think they also have a better than fair shot at winning that one despite what looks like a big point spread right now. IF the Eagles play like last year(as expected) there's a good chance they sit their starters and WAS has a much better chance at winning. IF the Eagles play well, but not quite as well as last year, and have a lot on the line then the Eagles will likely win. IF the Eagles play worse than expected and miss the playoffs then there's a good chance that injuries have been a factor and even if they aren't it will be an awfully disappointing season where PHI probably mails in the finale and again, WAS has a good shot at winning. 

Maybe I'm still the one saying the king has no clothes, but if DAL signs Johnathing Hankins on a cheap deal can we all agree that the "experts" were a little off giving the WAS a B+ after the draft because.... well, WAS needed a run-stuffing DT and they got a run stuffing DT in the first round so GREAT JOB! Just because it was a box in their need list and they checked it doesn't mean that it was a good pick even if you have been working on the NFL draft for the past three months and desperately want to start you vacation.

Maybe I'm still the one saying the king has no clothes, but if DAL signs Johnathing Hankins on a cheap deal can we all agree that the "experts" were a little off giving the WAS a B+ after the draft because.... well, WAS needed a run-stuffing DT and they got a run stuffing DT in the first round so GREAT JOB! Just because it was a box in their need list and they checked it doesn't mean that it was a good pick even if you have been working on the NFL draft for the past three months and desperately want to start you vacation.
I think Hankins still out there says he isn't the player us keyboard folk think he is. 

that waiting list stuff has been nonsense for a while.  i'm a STH and over the past several years they've basically been begging me to buy more.  i've also had numerous friends/co-workers who were able to get season tickets in recent years without being on any waiting list.  of course they've all gotten rid of them since.  i'm the only dummy that's kept them.

First post here in 40 days. Damn it's hard to contain our enthusiasm. Do we want them to get over .500 and insure Gruden's here longer or not? Decisions, decisions.

Training camp starts tomorrow. Doctson had an MRI today of course, "precautionary". Jordan Reed is apparently healthy so he hasn't broken down yet. 980 is talking more about Jeremy Sprinkle, since Reed won't block and neither will Davis. Lauvao isn't injured yet. Breeland is talking to teams but unsigned but the front office doesn't want him. They got a 6th round CB in the supplemental draft so confidence in Dunbar and Moreau is obviously sky high.

I want to see what the rookies do.

Radio personalities seem convinced that the offense is going to guide them to a 10-win or better season.  I'll go so far as to say they should be involved in a lot of close games, but I can't suss out whether or not I think they're going to be on the winning end of most of them yet. 

2-4 or 3-3 seems like the most likely division record.

A 2-0 start seems reasonable.  And just as likely, a 2-2 start also seems reasonable.

Next four games is Panthers and Cowboys at home (2-0 or 1-1) and then Giants away and Falcons at home (1-1 or 0-2).

Then the real bear of the schedule begins, they may only be the favorites in 1 of their last 8 games (Texans at home). 

With a strong start, 9-7 is obtainable, but it could very easily spiral out of control if they don't gobble up those available wins in the first half of the season.  And this team hasn't exactly been known for their hot starts under Gruden.

Acquiring Adonis Alexander for a 2019 6th Rounder was the kind of move quality football organizations make. I'm shocked to the point of waiting for someone else to break to 2018 ice, for fear I might be dreaming. I believe very strongly, the kid can be as good, or better than Kendall Fuller, which cools off my #1 hot button issue of the offseason, as I think that deal was do-able without having to give up a talented young CB, assuming a competent front office executive, which, of course, I don't believe we have. Unbelievably, there's been only positive news coming out about Guice, other than that he's a typical young kid, and quite possibly an exceptionally bright one, at that. All other things being equal, I think he's the most talented RB we've had since Clinton Portis, which is, unbelievably, almost a decade ago. It's within the realm of possible outcomes that the kid could be a SOD.

The back end of the schedule is brutal, and Cousins is going to help the Vikings back to the NFCCG, if not the Super Bowl. Other than that, I'm 'staying medium'...

1 Sep 09 4:25 PM ET at Cardinals
2 Sep 16 1:00 PM ET Colts
3 Sep 23 1:00 PM ET Packers
4 Bye Week
5 Oct 08 8:15 PM ET at Saints
6 Oct 14 1:00 PM ET Panthers
7 Oct 21 4:25 PM ET Cowboys
8 Oct 28 1:00 PM ET at Giants
9 Nov 04 1:00 PM ET Falcons
10 Nov 11 1:00 PM ET at Buccaneers
11 Nov 18 1:00 PM ET Texans
12 Nov 22 4:30 PM ET at Cowboys
13 Dec 03 8:15 PM ET at Eagles
14 Dec 09 1:00 PM ET Giants
15 Dec 16 1:00 PM ET at Jaguars
16 TBD at Titans
17 Dec 30 1:00 PM ET Eagles

WTEM 980 update --- they were sold by Red Zebra media.

Cooley is gone. Sheehan is gone. Scott Jackson is gone. Bram Weinstein is gone. Doc Walker is gone. Programming schedule is in flux, but it looks like Galdi getting more time in the morning, Al Koken and Chris Knoche will have a show, JP Finlay and Fred Smoot may have a show, and Czaban is still there.

Cooley is gone. Sheehan is gone. Scott Jackson is gone. Bram Weinstein is gone. Doc Walker is gone. Programming schedule is in flux, but it looks like Galdi getting more time in the morning, Al Koken and Chris Knoche will have a show, JP Finlay and Fred Smoot may have a show, and Czaban is still there.
I know I'm getting old when Andy Pollin's show on Saturday morning is my favorite radio. I've always liked Andy, but I like him even more the older I get.

Out here in San Diego radio talk last week was all about Trever Hoffman making the Hall of Fame. The main radio crew here all flew out to cover it. They realized that Hoffman was probably the last Padre that will go in to the Hall of Fame during their lifetime. Made me think of our Redskin. Who is the next Redskin to make it? Chris Samuels (6 Pro Boles; 1 All=Pro)? Trent Williams? I'm not sure how OLine gets in. I thought Joe Jacoby was a shoe-in. 

Sebowski said:
Out here in San Diego radio talk last week was all about Trever Hoffman making the Hall of Fame. The main radio crew here all flew out to cover it. They realized that Hoffman was probably the last Padre that will go in to the Hall of Fame during their lifetime. Made me think of our Redskin. Who is the next Redskin to make it? Chris Samuels (6 Pro Boles; 1 All=Pro)? Trent Williams? I'm not sure how OLine gets in. I thought Joe Jacoby was a shoe-in. 
Williams just doesn't seem to get the credit/media that he probably deserves, so that could be tough for him. He does have 6 straight Pro Bowls. If he can stay healthy, he'll probably make several more in a row. Not sure which All Pro Teams voters care about. He has back-to-back 1st team selections by Sporting News and one by Pro Football Focus (who I'm guessing voters definitely don't care about). He has one AP 2nd team.

Wow, Kevin and Cooley???? Kevin is Mr. Redskins and Mr. Maryland. Dayuuum.

I’m also shocked Bram is gone. I liked his opinions on a lot of stuff. He moved here last year to take that spot so I’m know his world is turned upside down. 

Doc lost a step a couple of years ago but for as much as I hated the whole S talk hour they were an afternoon staple. I’ll sure miss calling in the show and calling Brian Mitchell Napoleon.  

On the replacements...

Smoot is great on radio . 

Christ no Al Koken. No chance his show has good rating when it’s 70% hockey. 

I haven’t listened that much since Tony left and I’ve moved on to podcasts but I will miss all those guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wet dream would be to find a way to acquire Giovanni Bernard from the Bengals. Mixon looked great last night, and Mark Walton/Brian Hill could be an effective COP tandem. I believe Bernard has 1 year left on his contract, He knows the Gruden scheme/Gruden knows him, he's capable of being a lead back, and Marvin Lewis has no idea how to use the Mixon/Bernard tandem. He's beind wasted in Cinci.

This might also be a golden opportunity for the Lions to deal Ameer Abdullah.

I'd rather the 'skins were proactive and added a piece now instead of waiting for guys to get released.

I'm going to imprison myself in the Pit Of Misery if I have to endure another season of 'Fat Rob'.

Users who are viewing this thread