What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

The only Reskins to average more than 3.5 yars oer carry were Keenum and Haskins.  Link

Hasins needs as much playing time in the preseason games as they can possibly give him. It's not like Keenum or McCoy can sharpen up enough in the preseason to make even a +1 difference in the win total for the year so let the rookie play as much as he can. It's obvious the abiliity is there and obvious he needs all the work he can get.

Standouts tonight (based on partial viewing): Jimmy F. Moreland, Holcumb (for one play that eventually saved a TD), Tim Settle.
I liked what i saw from Haskins. Kid can throw. Yea he def needs snaps and to learn.  But he has the tools.  I want him to sit this year and learn maybe play in blowouts.  Then set him up for success next season.

Training camp updates:

John Keim ✔ @john_keim

Kyshoen Jarrett tells Moreland he has to come out. Wants reps for others. “No” says Moreland. Jarrett insists; Moreland walks off dejectedly.
John Keim ✔ @john_keim

Moreland working on outside with Dunbar out today. Also still working inside other times.
Craig Hoffman ✔ @CraigHoffman

Quinton Dunbar is on the side field. Not sure why. Trey Quinn isn’t practicing. Don’t see him at all.
Peterson, Vernon Davis, and Sweat are practicing again. Sims and Quick looking good at WR. Haskins throwing too many INTS and more great passes than the other QB's.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/11/final-takeaways-redskins-wrap-up-training-camp/

At cornerback, the emergence of seventh-round pick Jimmy Moreland gives the coaching staff something to consider. The two outside starters are Josh Norman and Quinton Dunbar, but the playmaking Moreland has pushed Fabian Moreau for the slot corner spot. Those four are locks to make the roster. So is there room for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Greg Stroman, Danny Johnson and Adonis Alexander?
Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson Jr., Trey Quinn, Cam Sims, Terry McLaurin and Kelvin Harmon are making the roster. Sims was the breakout player of the group after an ankle injury put him on injured reserve last year. Does that leave room for either or both Brian Quick and Robert Davis?

Now Colt McCoy, the #1 QB on the depth chart, will not play in preseason game 2 after not playing in preseason game 1.  He also hasn't been practicing. First the explanation was needing rest, then it was tiredness, then it was "recovering but not ready yet" . Now he "can't do much of anything".

Prediction: McCoy will not play for the Redskins this year.

With the number of repeat procedures he's had on his leg (latest in June I believe), the leg's just not right and he's just not in football shape.  I'm not sure he'll ever play again.

Tomorrow night it'll be Keenum starting, then Haskins. I'd love to see Haskins playing with the starters but Keenum's taking awhile to learn the system so having him in first is probably the best move. Maybe he can eke out some wins for them early in the season with a good defense like Smith did last year. Meanwhile Haskins keeps learning and the change to him will happen this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to see Haskins so watching the game.  I think this team is average talent.  But Gruden, who I defended once upon a time, can't coach.  A good coach always has a team ready to play.  Seems to me this team is never ready to play.  And definitely not early in the season nor in meaningful games.  But now it's even in preseason that the team is confused and pays no attention to detail.

Gruden seems like a good guy, but something isn't clicking to get the most out of his players.  Could be scheme.  Could be his demeanor.  I don't have a clue from the outside looking in.   To me he's an average offensive coordinator trying to  handle more than he is capable of.

Do want to see Haskins though.  But I think he'll have a new coach by week 13.

I wanted to see Haskins so watching the game.  I think this team is average talent.  But Gruden, who I defended once upon a time, can't coach.  A good coach always has a team ready to play.  Seems to me this team is never ready to play.  And definitely not early in the season nor in meaningful games.  But now it's even in preseason that the team is confused and pays no attention to detail.

Gruden seems like a good guy, but something isn't clicking to get the most out of his players.  Could be scheme.  Could be his demeanor.  I don't have a clue from the outside looking in.   To me he's an average offensive coordinator trying to  handle more than he is capable of.

Do want to see Haskins though.  But I think he'll have a new coach by week 13.
New coach new GM and new owner would make 99% of Skins fans cry with joy. 

Very quick thoughts after the first two games on some of the "high profile" issues, both positive and negative.  Please share yours:

1. Starting defense looks good -- other than the ungodly penalties on that first series, the first team defense looks decent, and if they can stay healthy, they will continue to be the strength of the team, and something to lean on, as they did the first half of last season.  I'm cautiously optimistic about our front.  We know guys like Allen and Kerrigan are solid, but Payne really has the potential to be a beast as well.  Lets hope these guys can stay healthy and give us a chance to stay in games.  Backup defense doesn't look as good, but there are some gems back there like McKinsey, Holcomb and Moreland.  And at least tackling looks to be solid and you should never discount that.

2. Offense -- Keenum looks like he's decent enough to start, not much flash past that.  Haskins looks like he has potential to be very good, but is inconsistent rookie who needs time to develop.  Colt may not ever return at this point.  Who you start somewhat depends on your philosophy (win down or develop for later) but as I'm assuming Skins always want to "win now", I don't see any way you can start anyone other than Keenum for the first several games at the very least.  Try to play really stingy defense and get something out of the running game.

Peterson looks ready but he needs some help.  WIthout WIlliams at LT and with Guise still not cleared for contact, not sure what they'll get out of the running game but they are gonna have to try it.  Perrine stinks.  I'd rather roll the dice with Reynolds as emergency back instead of Perrine.  IF Guise can actually get into form, then Guise, Peterson, and Thompson is a very solid platoon, but I get the wierd sense that it'll take Guise all year to really find his way back, which is why it's good they brought Peterson back. 

After the mid-point, if they are well behind in the playoff race, maybe bring in Haskins to learn the ropes.  Once we're out of contention, I really don't see any upside in not letting him get out there and learn by doing.  Lots of first year QBs have rough first years and he may have to go through some ups and downs...just maybe not from Game 1. 

I'm not sure what to think about the WR situation.  On paper, we have talent, but we really have to see guys step up.  IF we start Doctson, instead of giving chances to guys like McLauren, then I think that's a "firing offense."  Let's see what we have with some of these younger guys. 

3.  Penalties -- good god, I know it's preseason and you are not scheming or playing all your best guys, but whatever guys you do have out there, they need to play disciplined and execute.  When I see untimely penalties year after year I just have to wonder about what discipline is being instilled by the coaching staff.  I think this may be one of Gruden's big weaknesses and may what ultimately doom him as a head coach.

4.  Coaching -- why is it that I consider Gruden to be a lame duck coach already.  His team's rarely seem fully prepared and make a lot of dumb mistakes.  He doesn't make adjustments if "his system" is not working right off the bat so he's always out coached.  I just look at it this way.  With a questionable QB situation, I don't see any way we make the playoffs, and it's more likely we win 4-5 games.  If so, how can you keep him?  And if not, then what is really the point of this season, beyond player evaluation?  I just hope when they fire Jay they try to keep the good defensive personnel in tact so new coach has something to build on for next year.

In summary, there is definitely a reason to watch this year:  the defense looks like it could be decent and on offense we have some potential weapons.  But without WIlliams to anchor a run attack and with so-so QB play that will stop us from being pass happy, think winning a lot is going to be rough.  LONG TERM, the hope has to be to draft a good Left Tackle next year, get Guise healthy, and give Haskins enough reps by season end to take over for real.  So next year there may be some hope...maybe.  THis year, just very uncertain...

Unfortunately 980 is putting Kevin Sheehan back on the air weekdays from 7-10, starting tomorrow. I've heard enough of his droning to last a lifetime.
Yeah, why did they do that?  I really liked listening to Al Galdi in the morning commute slot.  He is that rare sports radio guy who really knows his stuff and is both informative and entertaining.  His Monday segments with Smoot after Sunday games was epic.  

Not sure why they gave that plum spot to Sheehan...is he really that popular?

Very quick thoughts after the first two games on some of the "high profile" issues, both positive and negative.  Please share yours:

1. Starting defense looks good -- other than the ungodly penalties on that first series, the first team defense looks decent, and if they can stay healthy, they will continue to be the strength of the team, and something to lean on, as they did the first half of last season.  I'm cautiously optimistic about our front.  We know guys like Allen and Kerrigan are solid, but Payne really has the potential to be a beast as well.  Lets hope these guys can stay healthy and give us a chance to stay in games.  Backup defense doesn't look as good, but there are some gems back there like McKinsey, Holcomb and Moreland.  And at least tackling looks to be solid and you should never discount that.

2. Offense -- Keenum looks like he's decent enough to start, not much flash past that.  Haskins looks like he has potential to be very good, but is inconsistent rookie who needs time to develop.  Colt may not ever return at this point.  Who you start somewhat depends on your philosophy (win down or develop for later) but as I'm assuming Skins always want to "win now", I don't see any way you can start anyone other than Keenum for the first several games at the very least.  Try to play really stingy defense and get something out of the running game.

Peterson looks ready but he needs some help.  WIthout WIlliams at LT and with Guise still not cleared for contact, not sure what they'll get out of the running game but they are gonna have to try it.  Perrine stinks.  I'd rather roll the dice with Reynolds as emergency back instead of Perrine.  IF Guise can actually get into form, then Guise, Peterson, and Thompson is a very solid platoon, but I get the wierd sense that it'll take Guise all year to really find his way back, which is why it's good they brought Peterson back. 

After the mid-point, if they are well behind in the playoff race, maybe bring in Haskins to learn the ropes.  Once we're out of contention, I really don't see any upside in not letting him get out there and learn by doing.  Lots of first year QBs have rough first years and he may have to go through some ups and downs...just maybe not from Game 1. 

I'm not sure what to think about the WR situation.  On paper, we have talent, but we really have to see guys step up.  IF we start Doctson, instead of giving chances to guys like McLauren, then I think that's a "firing offense."  Let's see what we have with some of these younger guys. 

3.  Penalties -- good god, I know it's preseason and you are not scheming or playing all your best guys, but whatever guys you do have out there, they need to play disciplined and execute.  When I see untimely penalties year after year I just have to wonder about what discipline is being instilled by the coaching staff.  I think this may be one of Gruden's big weaknesses and may what ultimately doom him as a head coach.

4.  Coaching -- why is it that I consider Gruden to be a lame duck coach already.  His team's rarely seem fully prepared and make a lot of dumb mistakes.  He doesn't make adjustments if "his system" is not working right off the bat so he's always out coached.  I just look at it this way.  With a questionable QB situation, I don't see any way we make the playoffs, and it's more likely we win 4-5 games.  If so, how can you keep him?  And if not, then what is really the point of this season, beyond player evaluation?  I just hope when they fire Jay they try to keep the good defensive personnel in tact so new coach has something to build on for next year.

In summary, there is definitely a reason to watch this year:  the defense looks like it could be decent and on offense we have some potential weapons.  But without WIlliams to anchor a run attack and with so-so QB play that will stop us from being pass happy, think winning a lot is going to be rough.  LONG TERM, the hope has to be to draft a good Left Tackle next year, get Guise healthy, and give Haskins enough reps by season end to take over for real.  So next year there may be some hope...maybe.  THis year, just very uncertain...
:goodposting:

Completely agree.  though i still dont think i want Haskins back there if the line isnt playing well and trent isnt there.  Let Keenum get beat up. 

Reactions so far this preseason:

They don't have much offense at all.  No running game except when Peterson breaks one. I never have understood why Scherff and Moses are not better run blockers. They're good on the move, but on quick plays through the middle they do not open holes. Passing game is inconsistent. When a receiver is uncovered Keenum hits them, but he struggles to sustain a drive. Haskins hits covered receivers with some nice passes but misses high too often. It's clear he has more potential to advance than Keenum does.

Starting defense looks good but they start fast and tail off. They overplay and overpursue too often. Zone pass defense is a joke; I don't know why they bother with it.

Opponents's second and third units consistently outplay Redskins second and third units.

Keenum looks unready. He has no more command of the offense than does Haskins right now. With that being the case the only advantage starting him is that he'll make fewer rookie mistakes, theoretically. Haskins on the other hand can stretch the field, is surprisingly mobile, and is obviously progressing. I'd like to see him start against Atlanta next week when it's starters vs. starters to see how he does with the big dogs on the field. 

Moreland, Sweat, and Robert Davis are going to be good. If they cut Davis it'll be a mistake. Josh Norman looked ready to play.  An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is stupid, but he was justifiably pissed at the previous call and it's nice seeing that urgency from him. It's popular to bag on Doctson but if you follow  camp reports he's been the most consistent WR in camp and is catching more contested balls than he used to. He's never wide open so face it --- his balls are always going to be contested. It felt awkward typing that. I think he'll be their leading WR this year. John Allen is the best player on defense, and he's still improving.

Candidates for most games missed for injuries this year: McCoy, Quinn, Richardson, Guice. They better have some WR's and an RB on the practice squad.

Special teams coverage is aggressive but is not good. Same story every year.

The NFL has no idea what pass interference is any more. The offensive PI call against the Skins was the worst PI call I've ever seen.

Anyone heard the injury report from the game?

Team looks unprepared a lot of the time. Tons of penalties. Same story every year.

Yeah, why did they do that?  I really liked listening to Al Galdi in the morning commute slot.  He is that rare sports radio guy who really knows his stuff and is both informative and entertaining.  His Monday segments with Smoot after Sunday games was epic.  

Not sure why they gave that plum spot to Sheehan...is he really that popular?
I don't know why either. Sheehan just keeps getting recycled and his droning and beating points to death is tiresome. Galdi knew multiple sports, and allowed far more callers more time to talk which was great. His shows were genuinely interesting.

Now Colt McCoy, the #1 QB on the depth chart, will not play in preseason game 2 after not playing in preseason game 1.  He also hasn't been practicing. First the explanation was needing rest, then it was tiredness, then it was "recovering but not ready yet" . Now he "can't do much of anything".

Prediction: McCoy will not play for the Redskins this year.

With the number of repeat procedures he's had on his leg (latest in June I believe), the leg's just not right and he's just not in football shape.  I'm not sure he'll ever play again.

Tomorrow night it'll be Keenum starting, then Haskins. I'd love to see Haskins playing with the starters but Keenum's taking awhile to learn the system so having him in first is probably the best move. Maybe he can eke out some wins for them early in the season with a good defense like Smith did last year. Meanwhile Haskins keeps learning and the change to him will happen this year.
I thought the last I heard was leg soreness?  

Has McCoy done anything?  Is he a candidate for the PUP?

Gruden has frequently only kept 2 QBs. McCoy is not performing and is unlikely to be picked up by someone else.  Could he be cut?  The flip side is McCoy is a Gruden favorite.

fatness said:
Reactions so far this preseason:

They don't have much offense at all.  No running game except when Peterson breaks one. I never have understood why Scherff and Moses are not better run blockers. They're good on the move, but on quick plays through the middle they do not open holes. Passing game is inconsistent. When a receiver is uncovered Keenum hits them, but he struggles to sustain a drive. Haskins hits covered receivers with some nice passes but misses high too often. It's clear he has more potential to advance than Keenum does.

Starting defense looks good but they start fast and tail off. They overplay and overpursue too often. Zone pass defense is a joke; I don't know why they bother with it.

Opponents's second and third units consistently outplay Redskins second and third units.

Keenum looks unready. He has no more command of the offense than does Haskins right now. With that being the case the only advantage starting him is that he'll make fewer rookie mistakes, theoretically. Haskins on the other hand can stretch the field, is surprisingly mobile, and is obviously progressing. I'd like to see him start against Atlanta next week when it's starters vs. starters to see how he does with the big dogs on the field. 

Moreland, Sweat, and Robert Davis are going to be good. If they cut Davis it'll be a mistake. Josh Norman looked ready to play.  An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is stupid, but he was justifiably pissed at the previous call and it's nice seeing that urgency from him. It's popular to bag on Doctson but if you follow  camp reports he's been the most consistent WR in camp and is catching more contested balls than he used to. He's never wide open so face it --- his balls are always going to be contested. It felt awkward typing that. I think he'll be their leading WR this year. John Allen is the best player on defense, and he's still improving.

Candidates for most games missed for injuries this year: McCoy, Quinn, Richardson, Guice. They better have some WR's and an RB on the practice squad.

Special teams coverage is aggressive but is not good. Same story every year.

The NFL has no idea what pass interference is any more. The offensive PI call against the Skins was the worst PI call I've ever seen.

Anyone heard the injury report from the game?

Team looks unprepared a lot of the time. Tons of penalties. Same story every year.
I agree with most of your post but am less bullish on Doctson than you.  I think the ship has sailed on that dude.  I have heard about his awesome potential showed in camp for years now only to see him: a.) injure himself or b.) disappear in games.  And yeah, I agree we need to keep Davis.  But we also need to keep McLauren, Cam Sims, Richardson, Harmon, and Quinn.  That's already 6 wide outs.  I wouldn't keep Doctson over any of those guys.  And if we try to stash Harmon or Davis on Practice Squad, someone is gonna take them like what happened with Cobb going to the Saints.  If -- and it's a MONSTER if -- Doctson has a decent year, he will leave in Free Agency and not sign with the Skins -- I promise you that.  There is no upside in my mind to taking reps away from McLauren and the rest to continue to develop Doctson for another team -- or worse yet, to lose us more games.  Sorry, I guess I'm coming on pretty strong here. That's really the only point I disagree with you on, lol.

The PI call was ridiculous.  I borderline wonder if the NFL uses calls to fix games.  I'm not normally a tin foil hat guy but how you do you miss that one on replay as well?  And why would you fix a preseason game between the Bengals and Skins.  So, eh...maybe it is just old fashioned incompetance.

Welcome to the 2019-20 Redskins season everyone.

Marvelous said:

Gruden has frequently only kept 2 QBs. McCoy is not performing and is unlikely to be picked up by someone else.  Could he be cut?  The flip side is McCoy is a Gruden favorite.
McCoy will stick around if only to teach the system to Haskins and Keenum.  I think thats really the only reason they keep him. 

What kind of record would it take to get Coach and GM fired this year? I'm rooting for that to happen. Whatever it takes.  :bag:

McCoy will stick around if only to teach the system to Haskins and Keenum.  I think thats really the only reason they keep him. 
It is nice when players do this for the new players.  But it is also the job of the coaches.  I would not keep a player around solely for mentoring others.  They need to be able to play too.

i mean if its soley to teach the scheme, i think Mccoy knows it best.  I also think he is serviceable if he needs to play.  But i agree, might be better to bring him on as a coach instead.  Alex barely knows the system so he would really only be a mentor.  Plus i dont think he will play again.

fatness said:
I don't know why either. Sheehan just keeps getting recycled and his droning and beating points to death is tiresome. Galdi knew multiple sports, and allowed far more callers more time to talk which was great. His shows were genuinely interesting.
I defended this move earlier but you're right, I forgot about that. There was a stretch of about 2-3 years where Kevin and Cooley talked about the Shanny/RGIII conversation every single day. 

Also agree that Gauldi is very good. I generally like his takes and enjoy that he doesn't keep it strictly local. I tend to like national shows that have a little local flavor. 

McCoy isn't going anywhere this year. Hes the only guy who knows the system. They'll keep him around just for his ability to show the other QBs. 

They don't know what's wrong with McCoy's leg. I know he was rushed back after injury once before, and it appears they rushed him back again in training camp this year. And the last report from Gruden was "right now he can't do much of anything."

Colt McCoy, the lone returning member of the Washington Redskins quarterback room, had begun the offseason in the beginning stages of recovery, after breaking several bones in his leg against the Dallas Cowboys in 2018. The Redskins mulled over rushing McCoy back to the field, but it soon became apparent that such an option would not be feasible.

McCoy underwent several surgeries, three to be exact, on the road back to the field, and as training camp started, it appeared as if he was good to go. He took consistent starting reps, often trading off with Dwayne Haskins and Case Keenum situationally, and on the team’s first official depth chart, he was listed as the starter, presumably for his experience in the team’s offensive system.

Now, however, it appears as if the team may have rushed him back yet, even this late into the recovery process. After sitting out the first preseason game, McCoy looked especially “off” in the final week of training camp, per the reports of numerous beat writers, and per ESPN’s John Keim, Gruden himself acknowledged that McCoy was not one-hundred percent, and that it was unclear when he would be.
He’s being held out of the team’s Week 2 preseason matchup, and there’s no specific timeline for his recovery thus far. It’s possible that by bringing him back this early, and by giving him practice reps on his injured leg, the Redskins may have inadvertently caused a setback. His health is in question. As far as how long it’ll stay that way, it seems as if no one has a concrete answer.
https://riggosrag.com/2019/08/15/redskins-qb-colt-mccoys-health-question-throwing-status-doubt/

I'm pretty convinced by now that their medical staff sucks. They've set McCoy back, and their best player is refusing to play for the team again due to the medical staff.

McCoy can't be put on the PUP list. He'll have to put put on an IR list or stashed on the roster.

For those wondering if the Physically Unable to Perform list is an option for McCoy, it won’t be. The PUP list is reserved for players who were on the list from the start of training camp onward. McCoy has logged plenty of time at practice and was never on the list during training camp. Thus, he won’t be eligible for that.

The benefit of having McCoy on the PUP list would’ve been that he could return earlier, as a player must only spend a minimum of six games on the PUP list as opposed to eight on IR. But, nonetheless, that’s not an option for the veteran.
https://riggosrag.com/2019/08/17/why-colt-mccoy-cant-be-placed-on-pup-list-by-redskins/

I defended this move earlier but you're right, I forgot about that. There was a stretch of about 2-3 years where Kevin and Cooley talked about the Shanny/RGIII conversation every single day. 
And the 2 years they talked about Kirk Cousins every day. It was like there were no other players on the team. Sheehan was even worse on days Cooley wasn't there. He'd state 1, 2, or 3 opinions and spend the entire show talking about them, repeating himself over and over. And the worst sin -- he'd ask for calls and leave callers on hold for 45 minutes or more while he droned. If callers disagreed with him he'd interrupt or talk over them. It was awful radio. 

Galdi has his pre-set opinions he won't change (Kirk=good, Trent=bad), but he handled callers better, let them disagree, engaged with them, and as a result had a lot more intelligent calls and conversations.

I agree with most of your post but am less bullish on Doctson than you.  I think the ship has sailed on that dude.  I have heard about his awesome potential showed in camp for years now only to see him: a.) injure himself or b.) disappear in games.  And yeah, I agree we need to keep Davis.  But we also need to keep McLauren, Cam Sims, Richardson, Harmon, and Quinn.  That's already 6 wide outs.  I wouldn't keep Doctson over any of those guys.  And if we try to stash Harmon or Davis on Practice Squad, someone is gonna take them like what happened with Cobb going to the Saints.
You may well be right about Doctson. I know my opinion is a minority one.

I think we can count on Richardson and Quinn to be hurt a good number of games this year. Cutting Doctson and relying on 3 rookies (Harmon, McLauren, Sims is basically a rookie) is a very risky move when 2 of the guys ahead of them can be expected to miss time.  There's also Davis who has a shot, and Quick has done well in training camp although he did have a bad drop in preseason game 2. 

It's kind of a mess. What I don't want to see is them keeping 6 WR's, Richardson and Quinn hurt, and suddenly relying on Harmon, McLauren, Sims, Davis. Doctson at least plays, and he's had a good camp.

Clear as mud.

And the 2 years they talked about Kirk Cousins every day. It was like there were no other players on the team. Sheehan was even worse on days Cooley wasn't there. He'd state 1, 2, or 3 opinions and spend the entire show talking about them, repeating himself over and over. And the worst sin -- he'd ask for calls and leave callers on hold for 45 minutes or more while he droned. If callers disagreed with him he'd interrupt or talk over them. It was awful radio. 

Galdi has his pre-set opinions he won't change (Kirk=good, Trent=bad), but he handled callers better, let them disagree, engaged with them, and as a result had a lot more intelligent calls and conversations.

Dude, that was the worst. I was a frequent caller back then and more often than not I had to hang up before (read:if) they ever got to me. He would often take one call, ramble on, apologize and ask the callers to stay on hold and then never get to them.

He would often take one call, ramble on, apologize and ask the callers to stay on hold and then never get to them.
He's apologize near the end of the hour, ask the callers to say on hold, they'd do the sports news update, and then he'd be back on introducing a new topic (while forgetting callers completely). You have more patience than I do waiting on hold like that.

It took only two games for Redskins quarterback Case Keenum to realize that coach Jay Gruden treats the preseason with indifference. For the sixth straight year, the coach hasn’t tried to gain any momentum in August.

And boy, will this team need to find momentum in Thursday’s game against the Falcons. But based on Keenum’s mindset entering the dress rehearsal for the regular season — given the preseason finale versus Baltimore on Aug. 29 is a pure throwaway — Washington will again be exposed come September.
No team wants to peak in the preseason, but the Redskins usually don’t seem to even be awake when games start to count. Washington lost its first four season-openers under Gruden before it waxed hapless Arizona in Week 1 of last year. The Redskins too often look confused at the start of the season because many starters play so little in August. And it’s happening again.
Rick Snider

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/22/redskins-turn-down-first-round-pick-trent-williams/

Redskins apparently turned down an offer to exchange a first round pick from New England for Trent Williams.  I dunno...I may have taken this deal.  Sure, contact other teams to see if they'll give more, but at this point, I think even a low first rounder from New England is worth more than Williams.  Think about it, the Redskins are not going to win a Super Bowl in the next two years.  Therefore, having an extra first rounder for a likely future starter is significantly more valuable than having Trent Williams this year.   And I like Trent WIlliams...he's one of my favorite players.  But it absolutely makes sense to exchange him for a future first rounder if you can get it.

I'm just hoping the Skins are holding out one more week for more compensation but will eventually agree to deal him.  I'd rather this never had happened, but if he's not going to play anyway, you might as well get something for him.

The main negative I can see is that not having WIlliams somewhat slows Haskins' development, since an unprotected blindside is extremely dangerous.  On the other hand, Trent is not going to play either way...that blindside is not going to be protected one way or the other.  Time to let go of the stubborness and make the deal.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/22/redskins-turn-down-first-round-pick-trent-williams/

Redskins apparently turned down an offer to exchange a first round pick from New England for Trent Williams.  I dunno...I may have taken this deal.  Sure, contact other teams to see if they'll give more, but at this point, I think even a low first rounder from New England is worth more than Williams.  Think about it, the Redskins are not going to win a Super Bowl in the next two years.  Therefore, having an extra first rounder for a likely future starter is significantly more valuable than having Trent Williams this year.   And I like Trent WIlliams...he's one of my favorite players.  But it absolutely makes sense to exchange him for a future first rounder if you can get it.

I'm just hoping the Skins are holding out one more week for more compensation but will eventually agree to deal him.  I'd rather this never had happened, but if he's not going to play anyway, you might as well get something for him.

The main negative I can see is that not having WIlliams somewhat slows Haskins' development, since an unprotected blindside is extremely dangerous.  On the other hand, Trent is not going to play either way...that blindside is not going to be protected one way or the other.  Time to let go of the stubborness and make the deal.
Yea at this point lets get the pick.  We arent doing much this year.  That gives us 2 1sts next year which can really make an impact and build for a longer term.  Or use it to trade for a top lineman if we have to next season.  And yea, until then... keep haskins on the bench.  On the plus side we can let the youngins play and see what we got.

If the Texans haven't offered a first round pick for Williams, they are just moronic. They have a young franchise QB with great weapons and a defense that has a short window before some of it's better players are gone. They really need to win now, and Williams would go a long way to helping them do that.

Now if the Texans have offered a first and the Redskins have turned them down, well, that's on the Redskins.

Trent is never playing for the Redskins again, and I seriously doubt they are going to get more than a 1st Rd pick for him. At the point where you actually get that offer, if your quibbling about where in the first round it is...

...well, in 20 years I've never wavered off my stance that the Ownership/Mgmt of the Redskins are a poster child for idiocy.

Redskins apparently turned down an offer to exchange a first round pick from New England for Trent Williams.
I assume the team released that information, true or not. It's their way of telling other teams that a low 1st round pick is the bottom of what they'd accept for him.  I'm not sure why anyone would pay it, though. Williams isn't playing for the Skins, period. Other teams can just wait Washington out.

I'd like to know how many times Bruce Allen has talked directly to Trent Williams as this fiasco built over time. I wouldn't be surprised if their conversation time, if any, has been under 5 minutes. What an incompetent man running a football team --- alienating the team's best player, playing hardass, ending up in a situation where he has no leverage with other teams in trade talks.

well, in 20 years I've never wavered off my stance that the Ownership/Mgmt of the Redskins are a poster child for idiocy.
I can't argue this.

They sent Josh Norman out to call the coin toss. He deferred the decision to say heads or tails, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before. 

They sent Josh Norman out to call the coin toss. He deferred the decision to say heads or tails, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before. 
I hope this doesn't seem like piling on from a non-Redskin fan...... but it sounds like the best decision the franchise has made since the draft. Based on how things have gone for the Redskins the past several months whatever they called you know they would have lost the coin toss. It's pretty rough right now.

I really liked the fact they drafted Jimmy Moreland, though. I was high on him going into the draft process and have really enjoyed the way he has flashed in the preseason. One of those little guys in the secondary that contests everything. If there is a team that really needs to hit a home-run on a 7th round corner it's WAS. 

Not to be apocalyptic going into 2019 but it's pretty interesting that the 2020 NFL draft is supposed to be spilling over with CB and WR depth. If they were ever going to get an early pick(or maybe even two mid picks) for Williams, now would be a good time to do it. 

If the Texans haven't offered a first round pick for Williams, they are just moronic. They have a young franchise QB with great weapons and a defense that has a short window before some of it's better players are gone. They really need to win now, and Williams would go a long way to helping them do that.

Now if the Texans have offered a first and the Redskins have turned them down, well, that's on the Redskins.
Texans or the Browns. Both have young franchise QB's to protect and could have their season completely undone by their inability to protect them, if not have the franchise set back several years if there was a big injury to either. They also both have a ton of cap room this season to front load an "extension" to make Williams salary easier to stomach down the line. It just makes too much sense, so it will probably never happen.

If you thought the CLE hype train was out of control before just imagine if they landed Williams to protect Baker.

Quick Thoughts on the 3rd preseason game:

1.  So good to see Guise running strong.  He looks like he is healthy and ready to contribute in a big way.  Guise, Peterson, and Thompson is actually a really strong trio.  If we had Trent anchoring the left, I'd be kind of stoked about our rushing attack.  As it is, I'm mildly optimistic that we have something to build upon.

2.  Starting defense is strength of team.  Watching tonight's game in the first half, it felt very much like (first half of) last season.  Strong defense keeping us in it.  Meh offense driving once in a blue moon to kick a field goal.  But, that defense may actually keep us in a few games this season. The problem is...

3.  The offense can drive every now and then but not finish (again, feels like last year).  Keenum definitely looks more ready to start than Haskins at this point but with that said, Keenum is "meh" and can't really help us score enough points to win a lot of games.  Haskins may be the future but the future is not now.  We have something to build upon but it won't be this year.  Draft a LT and get Haskins ready.  Next year, we may be able to win a few more games.

4.  I kept seeing Moreland out there with the first team in the first half.  Pretty cool.  Can I dream that with an extra CB appearing out of no where this may make Josh Norman and his big contract expendible next year?

5.  For the first time, I really noticed John Bostic tonight.  That dude is good.  Montez Sweat is also really fast.

6.  Only watched the second half backups in passing, but there are a few guys I'm intrigued with:  Cassanova McKinzey has some potential as a pass rusher.  This RB Reyonlds might be an interesting stash on the practice squad.  I really like Harmon and Sims and hope they can get some playing time.

7.  What a dirty hit on Reed to send him into concussion protocol already.  That totally sucks.  The hit was blatant and quite frankly he does that to a guy with a history of concussions...I wish he could be suspended.

Too tired to write more.  I guess my main takeaways was happiness that Guise looks ready to roll and that the defense is solid.  But sucks we don't have QB or LT to really score enough points to take advantage of it.  I can see losing a number of 13-9 games this year with the defense battling and Hopkins kicking a bunch of field goals..if Haskins develops who knows maybe we can be competitive in 2020...

Quick Thoughts on the 3rd preseason game:

1.  So good to see Guise running strong.  He looks like he is healthy and ready to contribute in a big way.  Guise, Peterson, and Thompson is actually a really strong trio.  If we had Trent anchoring the left, I'd be kind of stoked about our rushing attack.  As it is, I'm mildly optimistic that we have something to build upon.

2.  Starting defense is strength of team.  Watching tonight's game in the first half, it felt very much like (first half of) last season.  Strong defense keeping us in it.  Meh offense driving once in a blue moon to kick a field goal.  But, that defense may actually keep us in a few games this season. The problem is...

3.  The offense can drive every now and then but not finish (again, feels like last year).  Keenum definitely looks more ready to start than Haskins at this point but with that said, Keenum is "meh" and can't really help us score enough points to win a lot of games.  Haskins may be the future but the future is not now.  We have something to build upon but it won't be this year.  Draft a LT and get Haskins ready.  Next year, we may be able to win a few more games.

4.  I kept seeing Moreland out there with the first team in the first half.  Pretty cool.  Can I dream that with an extra CB appearing out of no where this may make Josh Norman and his big contract expendible next year?

5.  For the first time, I really noticed John Bostic tonight.  That dude is good.  Montez Sweat is also really fast.

6.  Only watched the second half backups in passing, but there are a few guys I'm intrigued with:  Cassanova McKinzey has some potential as a pass rusher.  This RB Reyonlds might be an interesting stash on the practice squad.  I really like Harmon and Sims and hope they can get some playing time.

7.  What a dirty hit on Reed to send him into concussion protocol already.  That totally sucks.  The hit was blatant and quite frankly he does that to a guy with a history of concussions...I wish he could be suspended.

Too tired to write more.  I guess my main takeaways was happiness that Guise looks ready to roll and that the defense is solid.  But sucks we don't have QB or LT to really score enough points to take advantage of it.  I can see losing a number of 13-9 games this year with the defense battling and Hopkins kicking a bunch of field goals..if Haskins develops who knows maybe we can be competitive in 2020...
It was not a "dirty" hit.   Watch it at game speed.  These things happen.  

155 yards rushing given up by the defense. Atlanta frequently opened holes. It seems like every time Payne rushes to one side the opponent runs through a big hole left on the other side. It was pretty bad rushing defense, and it was 2nd and 3rd string RB's doing it to the first team D.

Atlanta's 1st string defense stifled the offense pretty much. Skins aren't going to score many points this year.

I really like Sims, Davis, McLauren, and Harmon. Guice looked good.

Flowers was god-awful, getting beat a lot. The Flowers experiment is a failure. Jeez he's bad at G.

Defense is really fast, to the point of over-running sometimes, but it's more good than bad.

Getting turnovers was nice --- the only reason the Skins won.

Jordan Reed in concussion protocol. This is at the least the 5th concussion Reed has had in the NFL, and had at least 2 more in college I believe. At what point should  a team tell a player "it's better for your life and safety to retire now"? Honest question.

Fabian Moreau in walking boot. I guess if he remains hurt then Jimmy F. Moreland will start his first NFL game against the Eagles.

Users who are viewing this thread