What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

think i know which streak will end tonight.  

“The Redskins have lost seven straight “Monday Night Football” games since a Colt McCoy-led upset of the Cowboys in 2014, including blowout defeats at New Orleans and Philadelphia last year, and have been outscored by an average of nearly 14 points in those games. The Redskins have also won seven straight games against the Bears dating back to 2004, their longest active winning streak against any team.”

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Thru 2 games - Bears offense - 30th in points scored, 30th in yards gained.  Redskins offense - 11th in points scored, 25th in yards gained
JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS 5h5 hours ago

Thru 2 games - Bears defense - 3rd in points allowed, 4th in yards allowed.  Redskins defense - 31st in points allowed, 30th in yards allowed

This crowd situation seems awful on tv. The few plays that have gone Washington’s way, you barley hear any cheering. Loud roars as usual when opponent makes a play. 

on the plus side i can get to sleep early.  also i hope they dont bring in haskins against this defense.  that would be a rough first go at it.

Haskins will start next week --- Keenum had 5 turnovers and had a 6th nullified by penalty (if I'm wrong on the number it's because I walked into and out of the room the TV is in because I was pissed off). Manusky will be gone tomorrow for making the Bears look like world beaters on offense and for making his players look so confused they belonged on Benny Hill. If both those things don't happen, Gruden will be gone tomorrow. Management, as ####ty as they are, are thoroughly embarrassed tonight.

The players are playing hard. They aren't that good but they're playing hard. Our performance so far is more bad coaching than anything else. Defensive coaching is horrible, the worst I've ever seen since Rob Ryan was a DC for other teams. Offensive coaching is so predictable it has become pathetic. Adrian Peterson on the sideline and Chris Thompson in the game in short yardage situations is something a stupid HS coach wouldn't do. Blocking Mack with 1 man for the first half is the same. Gruden has this Arena ball script in his head and he's still waiting on some team to execute it for him. If he fires Manusky and has Haskins start next week then at least he can save his own job for a week, and maybe the season.

Josh Norman played hard. But he's clearly lost a step and it shows. He can't get that step back but the best thing to do is endure him and then part with him at the end of the season because they have no one better to take his place. McLaurin is the real deal, a star in the making. Wait til Haskins gets some time under his belt and is throwing to him and we'll really see something.

The Giants will beat the Redskins that played tonight (coaches and players). We all know the Patriots will. And the Redskins team that was on the field tonight should be favored by no one to beat Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
On that TD just before halftime, it was 3rd and 17 from the 36 and the Redskins brought a 5 man rush and had the CBs up right on the outside WRs. I supposed the idea was to try to keep them out of FG range but that really back fired since the rush didn’t get there and Norman was beat deep again (and celebrated with an incomplete hand gesture despite it being a catch and a TD). 

Remember when the Redskins were interviewing people for the DC position while Manusky was still employed as the DC and then they ended up keeping Manusky? Shockingly, that’s not working. Defensive players show no fire, no excitement, and seem to offer no resistance to opposing offenses. I’m going to go out on a limb and say there might be some problems behind the scenes on that side of the ball. 

Remember when the Redskins were interviewing people for the DC position while Manusky was still employed as the DC and then they ended up keeping Manusky? Shockingly, that’s not working. Defensive players show no fire, no excitement, and seem to offer no resistance to opposing offenses. I’m going to go out on a limb and say there might be some problems behind the scenes on that side of the ball. 
Manusky's only here because Bowles and Williams turned down the job. Bowles was offered complete say over defensive personnel (players and coaches) and  still turned it down.

Nobody wants to work here. That's how bad it is now. Nobody wants to work here.

Manusky's only here because Bowles and Williams turned down the job. Bowles was offered complete say over defensive personnel (players and coaches) and  still turned it down.

Nobody wants to work here. That's how bad it is now. Nobody wants to work here.
And the person who is working here, isn’t wanted. 

Defensive players show no fire, no excitement, and seem to offer no resistance to opposing offenses. I’m going to go out on a limb and say there might be some problems behind the scenes on that side of the ball. 
The DL and pass rush, at least in the first half, were enthusiastic it seemed to me. The effort was there. Once you get behind the pass rush however I totally agree with the last part of your post. No limb needed.

Yea i think someone is definitely getting fired after that one.  Which makes me happy.  If we lose to the giants and then New England all hail will break loose.  We also have the second hardest remaining schedule.  Which again makes me happy.  I want them all gone.  Bruce, Jay, manusky all of em.

i don’t want Haskins in yet.i don’t want him associated with this season which is headed to chaos.  But i can see that happening out of desperation.  I am happy he didn’t go in last night that defense would be all over him.  

"There ain't no magic sauce to get this thing turned around. ... Do the little things right," he said. "You don't support us now, which you shouldn’t because were playing like mother f - - - - - - s - - - I don’t know what you want me to tell you. Don’t support us now don’t support us later. We going to circle the wagons and we’re going to get s - - - right."
John Allen

I'm like a broken record on here.  I guess pretty much everyone is.  Michael Lombardi probably wrote it best.   Culture starts at the top, and trickles down.  The owner wants to win his way, and after trying the hire and fire route turned to Bruce Allen.  I'll give him credit for sticking with a guy for more than a couple of years, but Allen has been a total disaster. 

So Snyder's lack of seeing the need for culture fizzles down to Bruce, and Bruce plays politics and steers the culture even worse because until Washington he had never had a single role where he was in charge of talent acquisition.  He was a cap manager and never even in a draft room.  Heck, I think that's why Trent is sitting out.  He wants Bruce gone and that's not happening yet.  So you've got two guys that don't know how to do it making the decisions, and the coaches and players under them know those two are clueless.

That fizzles down to Gruden, who is trying really hard but doesn't have the players, doesn't have a medical staff that can keep them healthy, and has a laid back attitude towards player conditioning.  He is also incapable of game planning and real time decision making.  He is saddled with bad coordinators for a variety of reasons, but mainly because others know Washington has a losing culture and don't want to be here.

Then that fizzles down the the players, who like Gruden try their best but aren't put in the right schemes  to succeed.  And the losing culture becomes part of their personality because they can't overcome all the obstacles that come from the top down.  Some stay here, because there's money to be made and hey, practices are easy and there are worse NFL cities to live in.

And that is why Snyder's teams are 139-183-1 and 2-5 in playoff games in 20 years.

And that is why Bruce Allen's team are 80-115 and 0-3 in playoff games in 13 years.

Those two do not understand how to build a winning culture.  Organizations can certainly get by as mediocre, just like the Redskins do.  But as for being among the best, it's all about culture from the top down.  And that culture not just resulting in each individual down the org chart trying, but seeing successful results for them trying.

Jay is obviously gone.  I don't see Manusky lasting past the bye week.  And I think Bruce will leave after this year on his own accord.   But whether with or without Bruce, this whole thing is getting blown up.  I've sworn never to go to another game, wear a jersey, or support the team until Bruce is gone.  So that's where I stand personally.  But for the fans that are still in support mode, at least you are going to get new coaches.

If anyone needed any further evidence of how bush league the Redskins organization is, they Inducted London Fletcher into the Ring of Honor at halftime.   They spelled his name wrong on the JumboTron.    

My God..... 

First off, I agree with the comments here.  I do think the culture is the main culprit.  Al Galdi fixated on the misspelling this morning.  Says that while it seems like a little thing, it just shows that the organization is sloppy with no attention to details.  Do you honestly think that you would EVER see a misspelling like this in New England or Pittsburgh?  The fact that it got through didn't just mean that someone "made a mistake," it means that there was zero review of the initial work done, no quality assurance, etc. etc.  You know...the things that any organization with an attention to detail HAS IN PLACE!  So basically, this same sloppiness/inattention to detail permeates the entire organization and dooms it to failure.  The problem is -- we can jettison Bruce and Jay but as long as Snyder demands "yes men underlings" then the culture will not change.  The only hope we have is if Snyder hires a GM/Pres who is strong and who will stand up to him but would Dan actually do that?  History says no but I guess maybe if Snyder gets desperate he could try anything?  I'm not holding my breath but hope springs eternal and I'll never turn on the team...

Second... many are clamoring for Haskins.  I say maybe later but please not right now.  Vs. Giants is ok but he would get killed by New England.  I say, roll with Case the next two games and if we're 0-5 (likely), then maybe try Haskins out vs. Miami, which would be a great first game for him.  Get through this opening 5 games that everyone said to watch out for first.  The season is damn near lost already, don't f- up our number one pick to boot.

Third...playoffs are out.  It is imperative to trade Trent Williams this week to try to get a future asset for him.  At this point we'd rather deprive ourselves of future asset just for spite...just to punish Trent.  That is not rational.  Trade him.  He doesn't want to be here.

Fourth...there is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said already. At this point I can't see us winning any more than 3-4 games but no win is assured.  Hell, week 5 versus Miami may be legit for the number one pick in 2020.  At least we might have our picks of left tackles.

Just disgusted...

So Keenum isn't practicing due to a foot injury, McCoy started practicing but Gruden said earlier this week he hasn't seen him throw a pass in 1-1/2 months, and Gruden says if Keenum can't go then Haskins will start.

This team deserves our declining attendance and enthusiasm here because they just suck in too many ways to count any more. But if/when Haskins starts them I'm legitimately excited.

(If I drink enough) there's still hope for this season.

Dream for all Skins fans: Haskins starts and balls out, coaches and GM are all fired and Guice comes back the way Fragile Fred did after his injury prone start of his career. 

This team deserves our declining attendance and enthusiasm here because they just suck in too many ways to count any more. But if/when Haskins starts them I'm legitimately excited.
I'm not sure getting the rookie crushed while he tries to run an inept offense is really much to get excited about. I'd really rather they get him a line before we David Carr him.

Dream for all Skins fans: Haskins starts and balls out, coaches and GM are all fired and Guice comes back the way Fragile Fred did after his injury prone start of his career. 
Has to start at the top: Owner is involved in an earthshaking scandal that forces him to abdicate. New Owner proceeds to solve everything.

Wherefore art thou, oh alumni of Charles W. Woodward HS, Class of 1982...there has to be something...

McLaurin is now questionable for Sunday. He was limited yesterday and didn't practice today.
Rouillier is out for Sunday. Scherff is questionable. Reed is out (can we just retire him now please?).  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/27/redskins-injury-report-chase-roullier-out-terry-mclaurin-brandon-scherff-questionable/

Things are lining up nicely to get blown out again.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1177683496145444866?s=21

“Two people with knowledge of the situation say (Jay) Gruden could be fired if Washington doesn’t beat the New York #Giants on Sunday.” #Redskins
I'd make him suffer through the Patriots game first, then fire him. The team is adrift, he acts like it's business as usual. Make him coach the Patriots game and watch him bust his ### to call perfect plays to cut the Patriots lead below 30 before the clock runs out.

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

No. 12 QB Colt McCoy

No. 17 WR Terry McLaurin

No. 47 CB Aaron Colvin

No. 58 LB Cassanova McKinzy

No. 73 C Chase Roullier

No. 75 G Brandon Scherff

No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

No. 13 Kelvin Harmon is expected to start in place of No. 17 Terry McLaurin at wide receiver.

No. 66 Tony Bergstrom is expected to start in place of No. 73 Chase Roullier at center.

No. 67 Wes Martin is expected to start in place of No. 75 Brandon Scherff at right guard.

No. 85 Vernon Davis is expected to start in place of No. 86 Jordan Reed at tight end.
Our offensive line today is Donald Penn, Erick Flowers, Tony Bergstrom, Wes Martin, and Morgan Moses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redskins are closer to organizations like the Lions, Browns, and Bengals than we usually like to admit. We are a bottom 5 franchise.
The fact that I found myself wishing I was a Browns fan this afternoon, and then began having a hard time coming up with a good reason not to just go ahead and make the switch, had been quite the surreal experience.

The fact that I found myself wishing I was a Browns fan this afternoon, and then began having a hard time coming up with a good reason not to just go ahead and make the switch, had been quite the surreal experience.
We’ll hear a lot about firing Manusky or Gruden until they are both fired. It will, once again, trick the fan base into thinking changes are coming. I like a lot of the young talent, but they will all be in a Snyder organization regardless of what changes are made. It’s amazing how he can continue to get fans to focus their anger on anything other than himself. 

Oh, and this: https://twitter.com/michaeldavsmith/status/1178397003677683713?s=21

The firings should start now, but they probably won't until next week. They could just promote someone from within to GM. I'm not sure anyone would take the HC or DC jobs, though. This team has mostly quit. 

The firings should start now, but they probably won't until next week. They could just promote someone from within to GM. I'm not sure anyone would take the HC or DC jobs, though. This team has mostly quit. 
I both agree and think it doesn’t matter at all because nothing changes where it really needs to change. I think I’ll start calling this the Snyder Paradox. 

Good god.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

Gruden said he removed Keenum because it looked like his foot was bothering him. Missed throws. Not sure about Haskins next week. Said second half offense was inept in all phases.
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 3m3 minutes ago

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he's not sure what he'll do at quarterback next week. He said he won't start Dwayne Haskins just because of his draft status. "You're not handed the keys because of where you're drafted. You have to earn the right,"
He's still going to do everything he can do to keep Haskins from getting a full week of preparation for a game.  Really, I'd fire Gruden right now just for that.

Best Hope is team goes winless everyone is fired and we trade that 1.1 pick for a kings ransom. Find someone as dumb as we were with the RG3 trade.  :bag:

Mark Bullock‏Verified account @MarkBullockNFL 4h4 hours ago

The #Redskins managed the incredible feat of generating more turnovers (4) than points (3) in their loss to the Giants.

Users who are viewing this thread