Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins “Treadmill to Nowhere” Thread

Recommended Posts

Dunbar was good again today. He's the Skins' best defensive back. Moreau got called for yet another penalty. He's a good CB but is too grabby and gets called for too many penalties.  Kerrigan was invisible and Ryan Anderson was on the field a lot (and had an overwhelming sack accompanied by a roughing the passer pentalty). They ran Peterson enough that he broke some, mostly because the O-line played at the line of scrimmage or beyond it instead of in their own backfield.

There's still not enough pressure from the D-line, and I don't think there will be this year contrary to what was advertised. The O-line is below average, and the passing game is just plain bad except for McLaurin. And Callahan has been no improvement at all in using the last 2 minutes of a half when on offense.

The 49ers are going to kill them next week.

Edited by fatness
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True joke of the week:

Quote

Bill Bloom‏ @BillBloom2

With a Dallas loss today, Skins will be 2 back for NFC East lead. Scary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jbz said:

Fake news(?) reports that skins might be interested in trading for Tomlin. No real source of info so gonna take it as nothing. But man that would be stupid. 

I think that's fake news, too. But Tomlin is better than any HC Snyder has hired with the possible exception of Schottenheimer (who has 0 Super Bowl wins while Tomlin has 1): Steve Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs' Second Time Around, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan's Last Time Around, Jay Gruden.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fatness said:

I think that's fake news, too. But Tomlin is better than any HC Snyder has hired with the possible exception of Schottenheimer (who has 0 Super Bowl wins while Tomlin has 1): Steve Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs' Second Time Around, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan's Last Time Around, Jay Gruden.

I seriously doubt they could convince Tomlin to coach the Redskins.  I am seriously picturing another hiring process similar to what led to Zorn's hiring, with multiple people having interviews and then subsequently pulling out of consideration.

One more thought:  it is probably the Zorn debacle that led to Vinny Cerrato's departure.  I think Snyder finally realized he could not hire a competant head coach with Cerrato there.

Edited by Marvelous
added info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

I seriously doubt they could convince Tomlin to coach the Redskins.  I am seriously picturing another hiring process similar to what led to Zorn's hiring, with multiple people having interviews and then subsequently pulling out of consideration.

One more thought:  it is probably the Zorn debacle that led to Vinny Cerrato's departure.  I think Snyder finally realized he could not hire a competant head coach with Cerrato there.

i mean i did hear that Tomlin and Danny boy are friends and their kids go to the same school or something like that.  :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fatness said:

True joke of the week:

 

LOL. 

I can imagine Kevin Sheehan from WTEM working out "playoff scenarios".    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

i mean i did hear that Tomlin and Danny boy are friends and their kids go to the same school or something like that.  :shrug: 

Are you sure you're not confusing them with Duane Haskins and Terry McLaurin?

(running joke in the McLaurin thread)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dcgangstas said:

LOL. 

I can imagine Kevin Sheehan from WTEM working out "playoff scenarios".   

We can thank sports broadcasters for changing the pronunciation of "se-nair-ee-oo" to "se-narr-ee-oo".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signed to the practice squad today: T Victor Salako, DB Mauricee Smith

My reaction.

Quote

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

S Deshazor Everett will be out a couple more weeks. He was on a scooter with his right ankle in a boot this morning.

Quote

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan said RB Chris Thompson underwent an MRI today on his foot. Status unknown at this point.

 

Edited by fatness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS 3h3 hours ago

Interesting note from Callahan on his use of analytics from different ref crews. Says he looks what refs call what penalties and tries to adjust week to week.

The only thing interesting about that is that it wasn't being done already. One of the many ways Gruden was lazy and sloppy.

Edited by fatness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Pete Hailey‏ @PeteHaileyNBCS 7h7 hours ago

Here’s something: The #Redskins‘ 145 rushing yards vs. the Dolphins were actually 30 fewer yards than Miami was allowing coming into the game. So, it was a big jump from what they were doing, but it still fell short of what Miami usually gives up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, fatness said:

Are you sure you're not confusing them with Duane Haskins and Terry McLaurin?

(running joke in the McLaurin thread)

oh please share this thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/chucksapienza/status/1184144846593900544?s=21

Quote

According to

@pfref

Bruce Allen’s winning percentage with #Redskins is .364 If Bill Belichick lost remaining 10 games this season, then went 0-16 for next 23years, his winning percentage would be .368 So if Bill lost his next 378 games, he would still be better than Bruce #NFL

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Hearing some rumors Trent to Cleveland.  Keim says no though.  :popcorn:

What rationale could they possibly have for not trading him at this point.  They are actively working to ensure that the team not only stinks now, but in the future as well.

Truly incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Nats baby!

Very proud of the boys, as Davey  likes to say.   

A  lot of similarities between them and the Caps two years ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact folks are talking about the MLB team in the football thread tells you all you need to know about the football team's season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

The fact folks are talking about the MLB team in the football thread tells you all you need to know about the football team's season.

How can you not?    :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, MikeApf said:

What rationale could they possibly have for not trading him at this point.  They are actively working to ensure that the team not only stinks now, but in the future as well.

Truly incredible.

Ramsey was also not available and was traded for a boat load.  So keeping Williams off the market is the best way to get the maximum for him.

Of course, we all know the Redskins don't have a plan here and Bruce Allen will butcher the situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, MikeApf said:

What rationale could they possibly have for not trading him at this point.  They are actively working to ensure that the team not only stinks now, but in the future as well.

Truly incredible.

Only possible explanation is that they think they can get a Ramsey sized haul for him.  Good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren't certain of whether or not Kyle Shanahan wants to stick it to the Redskins this Sunday, you should listen to his press conference. 

When Kyle was asked about what he liked most about coaching for the 'Skins, he said "working with my dad and some other good coaches".  When asked what he disliked the most, he said "Everything else".    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dcgangstas said:

If you aren't certain of whether or not Kyle Shanahan wants to stick it to the Redskins this Sunday, you should listen to his press conference. 

When Kyle was asked about what he liked most about coaching for the 'Skins, he said "working with my dad and some other good coaches".  When asked what he disliked the most, he said "Everything else".    

 

Earlier, there was a discussion on how the Redskins let Sean McVay get away.  Why no discussion on how the Redskins let Kyle Shanahan get away.

Obviously he was never going to be HC here after what his father and he went through.

Note to Redskins:  step 1 on getting or keeping a good coach:  make it a desirable place to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 4:26 PM, Statorama said:

Only possible explanation is that they think they can get a Ramsey sized haul for him.  Good luck with that.

That would only be a possibility if they were listening to trades period.  But they're not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel a little bad for Gruden. He never got to pick his own QB, right? I’m trying to remember the sequence. It looked like he was finally onto something with Alex Smith & then the crazy Joe Theismann karmic injury bit the team. A TE with chronic concussions, draft a franchise type RB who keeps getting seriously hurt. Can go on and on. 

Gruden seems like a pretty decent coach. Redskins might be more snake bit than the Bengals.

soeaking of - might the Redskins hire Marvin Lewis next? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 1:26 PM, Statorama said:

Only possible explanation is that they think they can get a Ramsey sized haul for him.  Good luck with that.

Last I read they’re not even listening to offers. For a player who’s said he will never play another snap for them. 

i have no words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you knew who Bruce Allen is as a person, you'd realize he's doing this to Williams simply out of spite.  Typical Bruce, that we've suffered with for too long now. I know that may sound incredulous to some, but there's a track record, and the insiders affirm it. Par for the course, and I'm worried I'm becoming numb to it.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I feel a little bad for Gruden. He never got to pick his own QB, right? I’m trying to remember the sequence. It looked like he was finally onto something with Alex Smith & then the crazy Joe Theismann karmic injury bit the team. A TE with chronic concussions, draft a franchise type RB who keeps getting seriously hurt. Can go on and on. 

Gruden seems like a pretty decent coach. Redskins might be more snake bit than the Bengals.

soeaking of - might the Redskins hire Marvin Lewis next? 

As an outsider, I agree with your take on Gruden

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

As an outsider, I agree with your take on Gruden

He also got to watch his brother win a superbowl in perhaps the least challenging manner possible. I mean, credit where due - Chucky won a SB.

...against his former team, and former OC, using largely the same playbook, with an elite defense he inherited from Tony Dungy, against a team who’s starting center went MIA on a BI-polar bender in TJ.

that's some set of fortunate circumstances. 

meanwhile Jay is like Charlie Brown at Xmas. “I got a rock”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

meanwhile Jay is like Charlie Brown at Xmas. “I got a rock”. 

Pretty sure that was the Halloween episode, not Christmas. You can confirm next week. And yes, Peanuts episodes are way more interesting than Redskins games again this year.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Pretty sure that was the Halloween episode, not Christmas. You can confirm next week.
 

just confirmed - man, it’s been a while. My bad - Halloween special it was. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

just confirmed - man, it’s been a while. My bad - Halloween special it was. 

 

I appreciate the fond memory either way. Not to many of those to be found in this thread anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie Brown Halloween is on this Tuesday night, if I'm not mistaken. A ray of sunshine between  Revenge of the Kyle showing today and Revenge of the Kirk showing on RNF...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough, I forgot the skins were even playing today. Had errands to take care of, brunch with the kids, and some PS4 time. Just checked in to see a 9-0 score. In all honesty, can it get bad enough for Allen to go? I mean, this season HAS to be rock bottom. If this doesn't do it, what will?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Oddly enough, I forgot the skins were even playing today. Had errands to take care of, brunch with the kids, and some PS4 time. Just checked in to see a 9-0 score. In all honesty, can it get bad enough for Allen to go? I mean, this season HAS to be rock bottom. If this doesn't do it, what will?

My prediction from earlier:  another Zorn-like hiring cycle, where the Redskins interview the hot coaching candidates and then they withdraw from consideration.  They end up with someone no one else was even considering.  And they look terrible for the next season.  Then maybe Allen will go.

It also looks like the Redskins will seriously consider Kevin O'Connell.  But if he is a hot prospect, he may not accept.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, wgoldsph said:

That would only be a possibility if they were listening to trades period.  But they're not.

If I was GM, I would publicly say we are not trading Williams.  But I would listen to all offers and deal him before the trade deadline.  My best guess is a 2nd round pick would be a good floor for what to get in return.

I would also try to trade Josh Norman.  If you can get a 7th round pick, go for it.  He probably should have been traded or cut last off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You want to see embarrassing.  Cousins is going to put up about 500 yards on them this Thursday even without Thielen.

Maybe he can't play when it matters, but MIN is paying him $28M, while the Skins are paying Smith, Keenum, and McCoy $28M combined to throw about 10 passes per game (thankfully not more since DEN paying most of Keenum's deal).  Man, give me Cousins every single day over those three.  Even is Smith was healthy.  Fans can brush it off like they weren't going anywhere with Cousins, but he far exceeded anything else this team had since probably Brad Johnson.

More of Bruce winning the deal in his own diluted mind.  Hey, he didn't pay Cousins.  Hey, he's not going to budge on Trent.  I guess that's what he means by winning off the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvelous said:

If I was GM, I would publicly say we are not trading Williams.  But I would listen to all offers and deal him before the trade deadline.  My best guess is a 2nd round pick would be a good floor for what to get in return.

I would also try to trade Josh Norman.  If you can get a 7th round pick, go for it.  He probably should have been traded or cut last off season.

Browns gm came out talking about trying to trade for Williams but couldn't even get a foot in the door.

It's not bluster to keep his value up. It's Bruce being a bad gm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fatness said:

Without scoring, the Redskins covered the spread.

That's too funny. 

The Vikings are favored by 16 for the TNF matchup.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you remember a similar game maybe 20 or so years ago? It was a late-season Saturday game Skins vs Jets in pouring rain. Neither team was any good and it ended up something like 6-3. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Do any of you remember a similar game maybe 20 or so years ago? It was a late-season Saturday game Skins vs Jets in pouring rain. Neither team was any good and it ended up something like 6-3. 

It was 3-0. I remember the Redskins had a chance to tie but the FG snap went off the holder’s helmet. I think the next offseason introduced some rule changes to increase scoring/offense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199312110was.htm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, BoltBacker said:

Keep in mind they could actually run on a higher % of plays, but if there are fewer plays overall it's a bigger piece of a smaller pie. If the team with the lead is running to wind the clock down, and the Redskins are running the ball even though they are behind..... there could be some very fast games without as many plays.

https://sports.yahoo.com/quick-work-49-ers-redskins-is-nf-ls-shortest-game-in-nearly-a-decade-205648806.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another source said the Redskins haven’t had a meaningful dialogue with Williams’ representatives in “more than a month” — adding: “It’s to the point of being a personal thing now between Trent and Bruce. I don’t think Bruce is going to back down from it now. It might just have to play itself out because it’s not like Dan [Snyder] is going to intervene the way Shad Khan did with the [Jalen] Ramsey deal. Bruce is more likely to tell Dan what to do in this situation than the other way around.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-are-trying-to-help-baker-mayfield-with-a-trade-deadline-acquisition-171634498.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.