What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (19 Viewers)

Yep and Bengals play Miami and a few other stinkers later this season. Absolutely cheering for them to win and the Skins to lose out. That top pick could bring so,me serious draft capitol in trade in this 2020 draft
Assuming the Redskins actually trade the first pick and don't draft another QB at 1.1 (which I wouldn't put it past Snyder/Allen).

Assuming the Redskins actually trade the first pick and don't draft another QB at 1.1 (which I wouldn't put it past Snyder/Allen).
Their MO is always to draft the biggest name and try to win fans back by doing that.  Period.  So yea they totally would do that. 

Miami is still behind Washington as long as they have identical records.
The first tie breaker is strength of schedule, with the team with the easier schedule getting the higher draft pick.

I assume the Redskins would have the toughest schedule, since teams like the Dolphins, Jets, and Bengals player each other multiple times.  I don't think Atlanta is playing any of these teams.

The Dolphins are playing much better since Fitzpatrick has been starting.  They would probably be favored if they played the Redskins this weekend.

The Dolphins and Jets will probably win at least one more game.  It is really hard to lose them all or even go 1-15.  But the Redskins could be heading there.  The Redskins have the Jets and Giants on the schedule, the only games that look like they could be competitive.  And including the Giants in there is a stretch.

The first tie breaker is strength of schedule, with the team with the easier schedule getting the higher draft pick.

I assume the Redskins would have the toughest schedule, since teams like the Dolphins, Jets, and Bengals player each other multiple times.  I don't think Atlanta is playing any of these teams.

The Dolphins are playing much better since Fitzpatrick has been starting.  They would probably be favored if they played the Redskins this weekend.

The Dolphins and Jets will probably win at least one more game.  It is really hard to lose them all or even go 1-15.  But the Redskins could be heading there.  The Redskins have the Jets and Giants on the schedule, the only games that look like they could be competitive.  And including the Giants in there is a stretch.
The Dolphins play the Patriots and Bills twice while the Redskins only play them  once, so strength of schedule is going to be pretty close.

it's really too bad as Wash has just a storied history in the NFL.   can say the same about Chicago.
It really is hard to watch, and I’m sure prior to the last few years, 49 fans felt the same way. Two amazing franchises in the 80s and 90s that have been dreadful the last few decades...

I think it's worse than that. I think this is the best the coaching staff can do.
There is really a limit to what an interim coach can do.  He takes over a team and playbook that his predecessor used.  Given that, I think it is pretty amazing the changes Callahan has made.  Gruden thought there was no role for Peterson in game 1.  Peterson is now the centerpiece of the offense.  Callahan took an offense that could not run the ball and made it a running team.  The defense is playing much better.  And the number of penalties has dropped an incredible amount.

That said, it is not clear a power running offense will win many football games.  No touchdowns in 13 quarters is pretty brutal.  I still think the team is basically handicapped with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and a very green rookie, Dwayne Haskins at qb.  This team is not in a win now mode.  And it wasn't coming into the season.  Which makes not trading players away at the trade deadline or even last off season very perplexing.

Marvelous said:
There is really a limit to what an interim coach can do.  He takes over a team and playbook that his predecessor used.  Given that, I think it is pretty amazing the changes Callahan has made.  Gruden thought there was no role for Peterson in game 1.  Peterson is now the centerpiece of the offense.  Callahan took an offense that could not run the ball and made it a running team.  The defense is playing much better.  And the number of penalties has dropped an incredible amount.

That said, it is not clear a power running offense will win many football games.  No touchdowns in 13 quarters is pretty brutal.  I still think the team is basically handicapped with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and a very green rookie, Dwayne Haskins at qb.  This team is not in a win now mode.  And it wasn't coming into the season.  Which makes not trading players away at the trade deadline or even last off season very perplexing.
With their culture, winning is just around the corner.

dhockster said:
The Dolphins play the Patriots and Bills twice while the Redskins only play them  once, so strength of schedule is going to be pretty close.
Tougher schedules hurt you again when it comes to draft order. I think the idea is earlier picks go to worse teams, and if the Redskins can only win 1 game vs our soft schedule we're probably the worse team. 

Strength of schedule, which is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season (ties count as a half win and half loss). The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one.

Marvelous said:
And Callahan did that in one week, basically. Which shows how sloppy and disinterested Gruden was in anything but passing the ball.

There still remains the problem of "no halftime adjustments" and a team making a hell of a first half effort getting its butt kicked in the second half.

Marvelous said:
That said, it is not clear a power running offense will win many football games.  No touchdowns in 13 quarters is pretty brutal.
Callahan is stuck running an offense from the 80's and 90's. That is what he knows. He's been completely unimaginative so far.

Marvelous said:
I still think the team is basically handicapped with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and a very green rookie, Dwayne Haskins at qb. 
They are. But then again other teams have had crappy QB casts and done surprisingly well. Hello Tony Banks. It takes some really good coaching on offense and defense for that to happen, and we have 0.5 good coaching on offense and 0.0 good coaching on defense.  Any other team would have fired Manusky long ago. Callahan can't fire people. And nobody else will do it.

Thanks for your analysis by the way, it was a good one.

In Callahan's press conference I have to give the local reporters credit for (for the first time in a long damn time) pushing the coach when he was dodging uncomfortable questions. Specifically the questions were various sensible ways to ask why Haskins isn't named the starter for the rest of the year. Callahan bobbed and weaved but the reporters didn't let up, and I thank them for that. Fans deserve answers.

In one of Callahan's answers about the non-decision about who is QB in week 11, his answer began with "We/ I" need to talk about this or that. In print it was reported as "He and I", but if you listen to the audio it's clearly "We/I". 

Bill's not making the decision on his own. Soooooo, who else is involved?

Haskins did not turn the ball over, got the Redskins in and out of the huddle quicker than any Redskin QB in years, and several times had to walk toward the sideline waving and yelling for them to get the play to him quicker. That's good quarterbacking.

I do think he's going to be all right. And I do think he'll start the rest of the year.

Redskins place Trent Williams on Non-Football Injury List.

Tweet from Field Yates:

"The Redskins put on a clinic on how to completely waste a season of one of the most talented offensive tackles in football ."

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I don’t understand is how for 5 years Williams was worried about a growth on his head and he just accepted the Redskins medical diagnosis.  He’s got plenty of money for extra opinions. He has an agent that should have suggested he get other opinions. If something growing on my head worried me for even a few months I’d be at 3-4 doctors, and I have nowhere near the resources Williams has. 

the redskins as usual messed up handling of a player and how to handle his contract/trade request.  That’s forever on Bruce, and for so many players he’s handled wrong. 

But Williams has to accept some of the blame here.  He can’t plead total ignorance  

Redskins place Trent Williams on Non-Football Injury List.

Tweet from Field Yates:

"The Redskins put on a clinic on how to completely waste a season of one of the most talented offensive tackles in football ."
This gets them out of paying the last $6 million of his salary, so they get that. And there's the $7.8 million they haven paid him already so they get to keep that. Wow, we got a lot for those savings, didn't we?

I believe this tolls another year off his contract, so Trent gets that.

It remains to be seen if they'll go after him for fines for missing games. They're petty enough to do it, we all know damn well they are. But they'll get killed even worse in the press and by the fans than they are now.

It remains to be seen if they'll go after him for fines for missing games. They're petty enough to do it, we all know damn well they are. But they'll get killed even worse in the press and by the fans than they are now.
I ask this question in all seriousness... do you think they care? Like, even a little bit? I mean, what have you seen that makes you think any of them even remotely care about press? Team name, loss of fan base, utter hatred of the front office. They've been skewered in the press for years if not decades. None of that has phased them. What makes you think anything would suddenly change as far as bad press goes?

This gets them out of paying the last $6 million of his salary, so they get that. And there's the $7.8 million they haven paid him already so they get to keep that. Wow, we got a lot for those savings, didn't we?

I believe this tolls another year off his contract, so Trent gets that.

Another player mentioned that if the team isn't paying you any more money, they have no real way to fine you.  They can say you are fined, but if you don't pay there isn't much they can do? 

Mike Jones got an interview with Trent for USA Today and Craig Hoffman of 106.7 was given a follow-up interview with him.

Lots of crazy stuff in there.  I feel for Williams.  I wish I could feel angrier towards the front office, but at this point, this isn't shocking that the current leadership for this franchise could operate like this.  Or, maybe more accurately, allow the franchise to operate in a way where this feels like "just another day at the office".

This whole mess (the medical side and the contract side) could have been completely avoided with just some basic job competence.  Instead, we get another glimpse behind the curtain at the gross incompetence that cascades from the top down in this organization.

Craig Hoffman of 106.7 was given a follow-up interview with him.
OK, this article really helps with some disconnect I've had. Other articles haven't been as clear, from what I remember, about Trent's total acceptance of the doctors' initial diagnosis of it being a cyst. Articles (even that USA Today one) talk about Trent continuing to ask about it and asking for it to be removed which always led me to think that he was never satisfied with the diagnosis; that he didn't buy that it was a cyst. This Hoffman article gets into the fact that Trent kept asking about it because he just didn't like the look! It was messing up his desired hair-do! He was totally on board with the diagnosis for years. I've been wondering what blame to lay on Trent for not getting an independent opinion because I had been under the assumption that he initially was skeptical of the diagnosis. I had been wondering, why didn't this come up years ago?!?! Now I feel bad for basically "victim blaming" him.

From the Hoffman piece:

"When told specifically about Williams' quote that he wouldn’t have said anything if he wasn’t traded, Allen retorted, “If he can’t pass a physical, how is he going to get traded?” 

It is worth mentioning that teams can pass and fail players in physicals almost at will as there is no set checklist for an NFL physical.

In fact, the Redskins doctors passed Williams during his physical. The exam started at 6:30 a.m. last Wednesday. Doctors left and had signed off according to Williams. It wasn’t until around noon when Williams went to put on his helmet and felt discomfort that his physical was deemed failed. 

In other words - another team trading for Williams could simply not make him try on a helmet, passed him finalizing any trade and then put him on an injured list if the helmet issue was indeed an issue."
I wasn't really aware that there was no "SOP" for performing a physical in the NFL.  But, piecing together some tweets from various sources, this is what it had sounded like to me last week.  That he got the green light until the helmet issue.  There's no flippin way an NFL team has "Can player comfortably wear a helmet?  Y/N" as part of their regular physical procedure.

ETA:  Also...whoa

“If it was a bash the Redskins deal man, as soon as I got off the surgery table I would have been on media outlets and flooded you guys with pictures and #### to let people know the severity of it but that wasn’t the case for me,” Williams said. While he has declined to share pictures publicly, he did show them to a small group of reporters last week and they are gruesome. The hole that was cut in Williams' head looked to be the size of a softball. He estimates 30 percent of his scalp was affected. After the surgery, doctors had to staple his head back closed. It looked exactly as bad as that sounds.

wgoldsph said:
Great week for the skins best I've seen from them all season
In 20 years actually.  NYJ, MIA, ATL ... all winners.

Won't matter if dip#### is making the decision of a new HC and running the draft. 

Snyder should trade his #1 pick for the Kevin Colbert/Mike Tomlin combo and throw a bunch of money at them to bring some sense to this dumpster fire.

Does anyone know if subway has the deal where, after a Redskins win, you buy a drink and chips and get a free 6" sub?  They have done this in past years.  Of course, this weeks game is a toss up at best.

TE Vernon Davis (concussion), WR Paul Richardson (hamstring), DT Tim Settle (hamstring) and RB Chris Thompson (toe) are out for Washington. Safeties Deshazor Everett (ankle) and Montae Nicholson (ankle) are listed as questionable.
It's amazing how much enthusiasm has been beaten out of this thread over the years, beaten out of us by this team.  We have a 1st round draft pick QB who's going to start Sunday and start the rest of the year and it's honest-to-god hard to feel any excitement or anticipation any more.  Each time I post here it seems  like "ECHO ECHO echo echo echo echo.

Thanks Dan.

I'm excited for Haskins!  

I think he can be good in spite of his surroundings.  Hopefully they can attract a decent coach...  Lord willing, maybe even a new GM first... 

It's amazing how much enthusiasm has been beaten out of this thread over the years, beaten out of us by this team.  We have a 1st round draft pick QB who's going to start Sunday and start the rest of the year and it's honest-to-god hard to feel any excitement or anticipation any more.  Each time I post here it seems  like "ECHO ECHO echo echo echo echo.

Thanks Dan.
This team is far removed from one player being a turning point. So yea, Haskins starting is nice I guess. But it isn't remotely enough to make me watch this train wreck of an organization. Until changes come at the top, you are dead on. There isn't going to be any excitement or anticipation based on this franchise.

Thanks Dan.

Does anyone know if subway has the deal where, after a Redskins win, you buy a drink and chips and get a free 6" sub?  They have done this in past years.  Of course, this weeks game is a toss up at best.
Yeah no offense to Marvelous (I can get down with Subway every once in a while and love me some discounts), but this is a good read of where Redskins fans enthusiasm is at these days.

This fan base went from HAIL TO THE REDSKINS to SELL THIS TEAM.   Of course Richie Rich and his towel boy Bruce probably didn't even hear it.  

I love that the opposing team was able to jump in the stands.  Speaks volumes.

i feel like that may have been rock bottom in the first half.

at least there was some promise:  guice and mc Lauren looked greet good.  And Haskins needed a game like that.  It was rough but he’s learning.  Slowly but learning nevertheless.

can we get a coach to actually come here and put it all together?  I’m not so sure.

This fan base went from HAIL TO THE REDSKINS to SELL THIS TEAM.   Of course Richie Rich and his towel boy Bruce probably didn't even hear it.  
You gotta admire Richie's commitment to keeping an offensive team name despite the woke times we live in.  Especially considering all the new swag people would have to buy with a new name and logo.

Users who are viewing this thread