What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (2 Viewers)

I disagree, it would have been a win that left me very wary, because of all the mistakes and missed opportunities, rather than a great win. I mean, being 5-2 would have been amazing but this game, W or L, revealed that we aren't really ready for primetime and that's the disappointing part. We just can't get out of our own way and that's something you rarely see in a truly "good" team. Its the way we lost, not that we lost, that makes me say that "good" teams don't generally lose like that.
:oldunsure: I thought we all already knew that....

For me it is all about the W's right now. If we get enough of those to make the playoffs, anything can happen. Lots of time to come together until then. So just compile as many Ws as possible.

Sloppy performance all the way around. Just disappointing that we were just a smidge over a minute away from being 5-2 and now we're 4-3. I don't like our chances next week if Norman and Williams are out. 4-4 at the bye seems like a safe bet.

No structural damage for Williams. If it was a home game I think he plays for sure. I don't think a plane ride across the pond would be the best thing for him though.

No structural damage for Williams. If it was a home game I think he plays for sure. I don't think a plane ride across the pond would be the best thing for him though.
Especially with the bye week the following week. Gives him 2 weeks to heal up.

It's weird saying this, but I think Norman is more important to have next week than Williams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/25/jay-gruden-faults-prevent-defense-for-washingtons-loss/

I agree with Gruden on this.  I know it's easy to say after the fact, but it just does not seem that rushing 3 and dropping 8 works in today's NFL.  WRs just have such an advantage vs. defenders due to rules you cannot give QBs that much time.

In fact, I don't really look back at this game and say, "those fumbles and missed FG lost us the game."  No, despite EVERYTHING that happened, we had a four point lead with one minute to go and with the opponent on their own 25.  Your defense just has to close it out at that point.  

Thoughts on Cousins approaching the mid-way point of the season:

1.  He's off to a better start this year than last year,  Completing 66.8 % of his passes, 285 yards per game, 10 TDs, 6 INTs.  He's also played pretty well toward the end of games, "in crunch time", and almost pulled out the win vs. Detroit.  Not playing "elite" necessarily but looking like a legitimate NFL starter that you can win with and even go to the playoffs with as long as he has a team around him.  However, he's not a guy who will "carry you on his back" -- he clearly needs a team around him.

2. He seems to have turned the corner on the "let me implode and throw 3 INTs in a row" stuff.  Last two games he's had really bone-headed turnovers (pick six vs. Eagles and fumble exchange vs. Lions) that really hurt the team but for his part in both games he kept steady and put the team in position to win by the end of the game.  This is improvement.  

At the same time, the nature of his turnovers are still somewhat disturbing to me.  The pick six vs. the Eagles was when he was under pressure he just slung the ball out a little recklessly (he almost had an INT like that vs. the Lions to when he was under pressure and lobbed one up to the sidelines).  Then, vs. the Lions, when he tripped over the lineman's foot, I really think he just needed to fall down and eat the ball there, let Hopkins kick a field goal, and come back to fight again.  We were only down 7 at that point and field goal really would have changed the complexion of the game.  Bottom line what I'm noticing is he still does the "freak out" a little bit.  He seems like a guy who is great when everything is planned out, but improvisation is not his strong suit.  It is what it is I guess.

3.  This leads me to thoughts on what the Redskins must do next year, in light of the fact that they franchised Cousins who bet on himself for the huge contract.  And this is in a way the most difficult scenario:  he is playing well enough to win and be in the playoff hunt but not clearly a top 5 QB or anything.  The problem is, while it's easy for every fan to scream:  "He's not worth 20+ million!" it's equally not an option to just let Cousins go if you are a team that can contend for the playoffs.  You can let him go if you suck and are rebuilding anyway.  But if we basically say, "Well, we're going to go back to 4-5 wins instead of trying for the playoff to save $5 million/year on the QB position" then that's just stupid.  I see guys online talking about how this guy is worth it and this guys not worth it, but honestly, to me, it's not that complicated.  If Cousins can get you to the playoffs, where anything can happen, and the next guy likely has you staying at home, then you have to hold your nose and overpay him.  This is a league where QBs get overpaid unfortunately -- I'm not sure what we can do about it.  The fact that some "talking head" says he's not worth it really doesn't mean anything at all -- it's just jibber jabber.  You don't always get to set the price of something based on your "common sense"...

If I were Snyder I would approach him now when he's not playing at pro bowl level and try to work some sort of reasonable deal. The alternative is to go back in "rebuilding mode" from the start and it just doesn't seem like the team is that bad. 

What do you guys think?

:oldunsure: I thought we all already knew that....

For me it is all about the W's right now. If we get enough of those to make the playoffs, anything can happen. Lots of time to come together until then. So just compile as many Ws as possible.
I think this is true.  We are still an improving team.  If our defense can continue to tighten up, I actually like our offense against even good defenses.  "Any given Sunday" but the key will be continued defensive improvement...

Just get in as a wild card and see what happens. 

First see if we can steal a win in the U.K.  If we somehow end up 5-3 at the half way point, that's definitely meeting my expectations for this year and then some...

Thoughts on Cousins approaching the mid-way point of the season:

1.  He's off to a better start this year than last year,  Completing 66.8 % of his passes, 285 yards per game, 10 TDs, 6 INTs.  He's also played pretty well toward the end of games, "in crunch time", and almost pulled out the win vs. Detroit.  Not playing "elite" necessarily but looking like a legitimate NFL starter that you can win with and even go to the playoffs with as long as he has a team around him.  However, he's not a guy who will "carry you on his back" -- he clearly needs a team around him.

2. He seems to have turned the corner on the "let me implode and throw 3 INTs in a row" stuff.  Last two games he's had really bone-headed turnovers (pick six vs. Eagles and fumble exchange vs. Lions) that really hurt the team but for his part in both games he kept steady and put the team in position to win by the end of the game.  This is improvement.  

At the same time, the nature of his turnovers are still somewhat disturbing to me.  The pick six vs. the Eagles was when he was under pressure he just slung the ball out a little recklessly (he almost had an INT like that vs. the Lions to when he was under pressure and lobbed one up to the sidelines).  Then, vs. the Lions, when he tripped over the lineman's foot, I really think he just needed to fall down and eat the ball there, let Hopkins kick a field goal, and come back to fight again.  We were only down 7 at that point and field goal really would have changed the complexion of the game.  Bottom line what I'm noticing is he still does the "freak out" a little bit.  He seems like a guy who is great when everything is planned out, but improvisation is not his strong suit.  It is what it is I guess.

3.  This leads me to thoughts on what the Redskins must do next year, in light of the fact that they franchised Cousins who bet on himself for the huge contract.  And this is in a way the most difficult scenario:  he is playing well enough to win and be in the playoff hunt but not clearly a top 5 QB or anything.  The problem is, while it's easy for every fan to scream:  "He's not worth 20+ million!" it's equally not an option to just let Cousins go if you are a team that can contend for the playoffs.  You can let him go if you suck and are rebuilding anyway.  But if we basically say, "Well, we're going to go back to 4-5 wins instead of trying for the playoff to save $5 million/year on the QB position" then that's just stupid.  I see guys online talking about how this guy is worth it and this guys not worth it, but honestly, to me, it's not that complicated.  If Cousins can get you to the playoffs, where anything can happen, and the next guy likely has you staying at home, then you have to hold your nose and overpay him.  This is a league where QBs get overpaid unfortunately -- I'm not sure what we can do about it.  The fact that some "talking head" says he's not worth it really doesn't mean anything at all -- it's just jibber jabber.  You don't always get to set the price of something based on your "common sense"...

If I were Snyder I would approach him now when he's not playing at pro bowl level and try to work some sort of reasonable deal. The alternative is to go back in "rebuilding mode" from the start and it just doesn't seem like the team is that bad. 

What do you guys think?
I'm not sure what you do with Cousins at this point. I don't think he deserves to be paid anywhere near the top QBs in the league, but he's definitely average to above-average. I'd prefer to keep him rather than start over, since we have other needs besides a QB, but I don't want to be hamstrung by a deal either. I'm 100% against franchising him again next year and giving him $25M.

I'm not sure what you do with Cousins at this point. I don't think he deserves to be paid anywhere near the top QBs in the league, but he's definitely average to above-average. I'd prefer to keep him rather than start over, since we have other needs besides a QB, but I don't want to be hamstrung by a deal either. I'm 100% against franchising him again next year and giving him $25M.
It's a real problem.  I think we all agree he's not "worth" 25 M.  But if someone else offers him a fat offer, we'll have a decision to make. 

Hopefully Cousins will catch fire the second half of the year and get us in the playoffs, making a big contract easier to swallow.  But a lot of football to play vs. a tough schedule between now and then...

Desean's 5-35 was his worst YPC catch game of his career when he had 4+ receptions. His 13.6 YPC this season is the lowest of his career.

It's a real problem.  I think we all agree he's not "worth" 25 M.  But if someone else offers him a fat offer, we'll have a decision to make. 

Hopefully Cousins will catch fire the second half of the year and get us in the playoffs, making a big contract easier to swallow.  But a lot of football to play vs. a tough schedule between now and then...
If someone offers him a fat deal they should let him walk.  Although if Oswieler continues to struggle I doubt the QB market will be what it was last year.

If someone offers him a fat deal they should let him walk.  Although if Oswieler continues to struggle I doubt the QB market will be what it was last year.
Yeah, this past offseason, so many people pointed to Oswieler's and Bradford's deals as evidence that Cousins should get a huge deal. "That's just the going rate" was the typical argument. Oswieler has been a mistake so far. And, while Bradford is doing well, he was cut by the team that gave him the contract and is only in MIN because of an injury. Who knows what his situation would be had Bridgewater not been injured.

Yeah, this past offseason, so many people pointed to Oswieler's and Bradford's deals as evidence that Cousins should get a huge deal. "That's just the going rate" was the typical argument. Oswieler has been a mistake so far. And, while Bradford is doing well, he was cut by the team that gave him the contract and is only in MIN because of an injury. Who knows what his situation would be had Bridgewater not been injured.
I'd rather see them invest heavily in the defense and draft a rookie QB to develop than pay Cousins a ton.  

Cousins is doing OK this year but he has an extremely talented cast of position players he's not being asked to win games on his own or carry the team, which I'd expect for a franchise caliber QB making $20 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can't afford to let Cousins go. You need stability at the QB position, and Cousins has given them that. He's played well the large majority of his time as a starter. No you don't want to pay him that big contract like the "elite" QBs, but while he's clearly not on their level, you can't ignore the fact that the top 4 or 5 QBs the last few seasons (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees,) are likely all locks for the HOF, and few WILL ever  produce at their level. I hope he continues to improve and the team continue to address the offensive line (improving) pass rush (needs improving) and depth in the secondary. Oh yeah, and an elite RB in next year's class would be great too. 

They can't afford to let Cousins go. You need stability at the QB position, and Cousins has given them that. He's played well the large majority of his time as a starter. No you don't want to pay him that big contract like the "elite" QBs, but while he's clearly not on their level, you can't ignore the fact that the top 4 or 5 QBs the last few seasons (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees,) are likely all locks for the HOF, and few WILL ever  produce at their level. I hope he continues to improve and the team continue to address the offensive line (improving) pass rush (needs improving) and depth in the secondary. Oh yeah, and an elite RB in next year's class would be great too. 
Well run teams don't waste that much cap space on an average player because they are afraid.  If Cousins wants to be paid he needs to step it up for the rest of the year.  He's not worth that much money.

Good news and more good news from practice today:

Master Tesfatsion@MasterTes 7m7 minutes ago
Along with Trent Williams, Josh Norman and Jordan Reed are also active during individual drills. Best case scenario is happening #Redskins
Master Tesfatsion@MasterTes 3m3 minutes ago
Matt Jones isn't dressed. He's on the sideline wearing a hoodie. Terence Garvin rehabbing to the side #Redskins

Anyone have any insight into the latter?  Obviously fantasy implications in addition to the Skins-related implications.

Well run teams don't waste that much cap space on an average player because they are afraid.  If Cousins wants to be paid he needs to step it up for the rest of the year.  He's not worth that much money.
This. The term "overpaid" is a bit confusing and in my opinion it should mean what it means. It should be used when a player is taking up more cap space than they contribute in value. When you keep that in mind, you don't buy into adages like "You have to overpay QB's." A servicable QB provides a lot of value to a team, especially when you consider that they're hard to find and your next best option might be a huge drop. You have to figure out what that number is and stick with it though. It doesn't make sense to pay more to keep a player around if you've determined that doing so is not the best value for your team. That's true for every position from QB to K.

I think that's the philosophy SMC believes in. He's said things last offseason about how he has 53 guys to take care of, nobody is more important than the team, and it seemed like he had a firm price in mind for the value he saw in Cousins. I think Cousins [correctly] believes he could get more from other teams, because there are a lot of bad GM's out there who will overpay a QB even if it hamstrings them in other areas. He made it clear he was basing his value with that in mind when he held out for a price that probably only a few teams would pay and making statements saying he wanted to play where he was "valued". That's the source of the gap we saw last offseason in the contract negotiations. SMC was willing to franchise because overpaying a few million for one year is not a huge cost and it lets him assess Cousins' value more accurately next year. He's unlikely to franchise again because that informational value won't be an incentive again.

All of this leads me to believe Cousins won't be here next year. Neither side is likely to change their philosophy. We only get a deal done if Cousins' open market value tanks to the level SMC is willing to pay or he makes SMC believe he's worth as much as he's asking. Although I don't think that first scenario is a real possibility, even if he plays poorly he'll get better offers from other teams just because of the difference in philosophy of the GM's. And the second scenario only happens if we get better than the Good KirkTM of late 2015 for the rest of this season. So he probably walks. And I'm OK with that

This. The term "overpaid" is a bit confusing and in my opinion it should mean what it means. It should be used when a player is taking up more cap space than they contribute in value. When you keep that in mind, you don't buy into adages like "You have to overpay QB's." A servicable QB provides a lot of value to a team, especially when you consider that they're hard to find and your next best option might be a huge drop. You have to figure out what that number is and stick with it though. It doesn't make sense to pay more to keep a player around if you've determined that doing so is not the best value for your team. That's true for every position from QB to K.

I think that's the philosophy SMC believes in. He's said things last offseason about how he has 53 guys to take care of, nobody is more important than the team, and it seemed like he had a firm price in mind for the value he saw in Cousins. I think Cousins [correctly] believes he could get more from other teams, because there are a lot of bad GM's out there who will overpay a QB even if it hamstrings them in other areas. He made it clear he was basing his value with that in mind when he held out for a price that probably only a few teams would pay and making statements saying he wanted to play where he was "valued". That's the source of the gap we saw last offseason in the contract negotiations. SMC was willing to franchise because overpaying a few million for one year is not a huge cost and it lets him assess Cousins' value more accurately next year. He's unlikely to franchise again because that informational value won't be an incentive again.

All of this leads me to believe Cousins won't be here next year. Neither side is likely to change their philosophy. We only get a deal done if Cousins' open market value tanks to the level SMC is willing to pay or he makes SMC believe he's worth as much as he's asking. Although I don't think that first scenario is a real possibility, even if he plays poorly he'll get better offers from other teams just because of the difference in philosophy of the GM's. And the second scenario only happens if we get better than the Good KirkTM of late 2015 for the rest of this season. So he probably walks. And I'm OK with that
I see what you are saying but the problem is, if you let Cousins go, because you don't think "he provides that kind of value" and as a result, you don't even have a shot at making the playoffs, you've basically "outsmarted yourself."  The goal of football is to win a championship, not to make sure you don't "overpay" someone.   So, say you don't sign your QB for $21 million per year because you think he's worth $19 million per year and let him walk.  And yet, let's say that even with an extra $2 million per year for other players, you are not good enough with a below average Quarterback to make the playoffs.  Because make no mistake about it, QB still  is the most important position on the field...you look at the teams that win, and they generally have that in common IMO.

You see, you say "You have to overpay for QB" is an "arbitrary adage" but I think it's becoming equally arbitrary to assign some made up "value" for a QB and then say, "let him walk" if he doesn't take it.  Football is about winning championships.  If you feel you need a certain level of QB to compete for a championship, and the one you have is your only option to get you there, then spending more than what you intended intially intended is not necessarily "overpaying."  There's no value in going 7-9 vs. 10-6 and a shot at the playoffs if 7-9 allowed you to spread out money to more people.  Winning a championship is the objective, that's it.  So that's what should establish value, not looking at Brock Osweiller and Sam Bradford and then just "guessing" what you think Cousins "ought to make."

I see what you are saying and I think "overpaid" is a confusing term...just another take I guess.  Maybe what I'm really saying is you need to assess what is establising your sense of "value."  Is it real, or arbitrary?

There's no value in going 7-9 vs. 10-6 and a shot at the playoffs if 7-9 allowed you to spread out money to more people.  Winning a championship is the objective, that's it.  So that's what should establish value, not looking at Brock Osweiller and Sam Bradford and then just "guessing" what you think Cousins "ought to make."
I agree with this (except broaden the goal to multiple championships; building teams that can compete every year).

As for your earlier example, if you refuse to pay your QB $21M, he walks, and your team is worse off for it, that would indicate to me that $21M was a fair price. I don't think we should say that's overpaying. Expensive, yes, but if the team is better with a $21M QB and $21M less spent on other positions then that's where you spend your money. Don't overlook the fact that if you pay your QB too much and limit what you can do at other positions that could put you at 7-9 as opposed to 10-6 as well. I think that's where the Ravens are at now. Also don't forget that mediocre QB's have won plenty of Super Bowls with great teams surrounding them. There must be a limit you place on the value of your QB. Even if you have Brady in his prime, there's a limit. There are a lot of factors that go into setting that price. Who do you turn to if your #1 QB walks, how good is he and how expensive is he? Can you upgrade other positions with that money? Can you use it to restructure current contracts to make the team stronger in the future? The value is definitely real.

5 Digits said:
I agree with this (except broaden the goal to multiple championships; building teams that can compete every year).

As for your earlier example, if you refuse to pay your QB $21M, he walks, and your team is worse off for it, that would indicate to me that $21M was a fair price. I don't think we should say that's overpaying. Expensive, yes, but if the team is better with a $21M QB and $21M less spent on other positions then that's where you spend your money. Don't overlook the fact that if you pay your QB too much and limit what you can do at other positions that could put you at 7-9 as opposed to 10-6 as well. I think that's where the Ravens are at now. Also don't forget that mediocre QB's have won plenty of Super Bowls with great teams surrounding them. There must be a limit you place on the value of your QB. Even if you have Brady in his prime, there's a limit. There are a lot of factors that go into setting that price. Who do you turn to if your #1 QB walks, how good is he and how expensive is he? Can you upgrade other positions with that money? Can you use it to restructure current contracts to make the team stronger in the future? The value is definitely real.
Yeah, I do agree with this.  I think it really is about establishing the correct "value" for your various players, based on how much they can help you get to a championship vs. the next best alternative you have at that position.  When you think about doing this for a full 53 man roster, it shows what a difficult job an NFL GM has...

Don't know where to start.  Really disappointed that we can't finish a game off.

On a side note I'm not saying this is why we tied but why does gruden insist on going for 4 and 1 in the red zone.  The points in a close game like this sure would be nice.

I liked the 4th & 1 call. Going for it on 4th & 1 is usually a better statistical play, we had been moving the ball pretty well, and it was early enough in the game where maximizing points should be a stronger consideration than adding easy points.

Also not blaming the loss on this, but the officiating seemed a lot more one sided than it usually does. And I typically give officials a pass with the understanding that bad calls happen, sometimes they go your way and sometimes they don't. But the Bengals sure had a lot of big calls break their way today. 

Disappointing game. What makes it all worse, is that we've now given away back-to-back winnable games. Could easily be sitting at 6-2, hell even 7-1 right now.

The offense continues to rack up yardage, but can't turn all those yards into points. Believe we're like top 5 in total yards, but middle of the pack in scoring offense. In today's NFL, settling for FGs isn't going to win many games.

Disappointing game. What makes it all worse, is that we've now given away back-to-back winnable games. Could easily be sitting at 6-2, hell even 7-1 right now.

The offense continues to rack up yardage, but can't turn all those yards into points. Believe we're like top 5 in total yards, but middle of the pack in scoring offense. In today's NFL, settling for FGs isn't going to win many games.
it also doesnt help that our special teams is always awful. 

5 Digits said:
Also not blaming the loss on this, but the officiating seemed a lot more one sided than it usually does. And I typically give officials a pass with the understanding that bad calls happen, sometimes they go your way and sometimes they don't. But the Bengals sure had a lot of big calls break their way today. 
Yes, and no.

I've NEVER seen a guy targeted for "hands to the face" penalties all game long the way Norman was. Am I saying he was never guilty? No. Am I saying 22 guys on a field often get hands to the face that the refs sometime miss? Yes. They were looking to make that call on Norman every single play. How they can call some of those and yet still NOT call Crowder almost getting decapitated at the goal line is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me wonder where all those people are who were CRYING about replacement refs several years ago.

To be fair, there was a legitimate face mask on Dalton on the play he fumbled the ball.... so my argument is the refs were absolute **** all game long. It wasn't completely one sided. It was just a horror show all the way around. They should replace half these guys every year imo. It's getting as bad as the NBA.

I'm still bummed.

Not sure who are what to "blame" for the loss.

In the end, we can gripe, but life looks a whole lot different today if Hopkins makes a 34 yard field goal he makes 90+ % of the time.  There is no soul searching then.  That's how thin it is week to week.  Then, in the previous week, you have the lead, and have to stop a team from driving the field for a TD in one minute.  So, it's something different every week. It would be one thing if we could point to one thing every week, but it's not like that.  The defense actually DID stop Cincy in overtime to give our offense one more chance to drive the ball. 

To be fair, in previous weeks, other teams faltered at the end to give us the victory.  Remember Eli's late game interceptions that sealed the deal of that game? Or Cleveland's late fumbles?  It swings both ways.

One thing I will say is our offense is putting us in a position to win more often than not.  We had a FG to win vs. Cincy, period.  And we had the lead vs. Detroit with 1 minute to go.  In both cases, the offense was able to mount a late drive to put us in position to win.  So, I do think the offense is developing that mentality at the end of games.  The defense is getting better but not sure they are yet there...probably needs to be the focus in the offseason despite how we end up.

I'm not sure how to put my finger on it.  We seem "good enough" to be a playoff team.  When I look at teams like Philly, Dallas, Green Bay or others who are being talked of as playoff teams, I don't think that we are "not in their league"...but I do think that we somehow lack that something at the end to finish off games.  What is it?  Discipline?  Confidence?  Luck?

Very, very frustrating as a fan.  It would be easier to take all these losses (ties) if we just flat out "sucked."

MikeApf said:
I'm still bummed.

In the end, we can gripe, but life looks a whole lot different today if Hopkins makes a 34 yard field goal he makes 90+ % of the time.  There is no soul searching then.  That's how thin it is week to week.  Then, in the previous week, you have the lead, and have to stop a team from driving the field for a TD in one minute.  So, it's something different every week. It would be one thing if we could point to one thing every week, but it's not like that.  The defense actually DID stop Cincy in overtime to give our offense one more chance to drive the ball. 

To be fair, in previous weeks, other teams faltered at the end to give us the victory.  Remember Eli's late game interceptions that sealed the deal of that game? Or Cleveland's late fumbles?  It swings both ways.

One thing I will say is our offense is putting us in a position to win more often than not.  We had a FG to win vs. Cincy, period.  And we had the lead vs. Detroit with 1 minute to go.  In both cases, the offense was able to mount a late drive to put us in position to win.  So, I do think the offense is developing that mentality at the end of games.  The defense is getting better but not sure they are yet there...probably needs to be the focus in the offseason despite how we end up.

I'm not sure how to put my finger on it.  We seem "good enough" to be a playoff team.  When I look at teams like Philly, Dallas, Green Bay or others who are being talked of as playoff teams, I don't think that we are "not in their league"...but I do think that we somehow lack that something at the end to finish off games.  What is it?  Discipline?  Confidence?  Luck?

Very, very frustrating as a fan.  It would be easier to take all these losses (ties) if we just flat out "sucked."
Yeah I agree. This team certainly seems good enough to be in contention, but for some reason, they just can't put teams away. The only game where we were just outplayed was Week 1 against Pittsburgh. Every other game, we've been in until the end. Which is good, but even when we win, it seems like it takes some luck. Like you said, the Giants and Browns games took some late turnovers to cement those wins. I don't know what it is, but every game comes down to the wire.

It's hard to say what this team will do in the 2nd half. 4-3-1 isn't a bad record, but we're currently last in the NFCE. The schedule certainly doesn't get any better with games against Minnesota, Green Bay, Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philly, and New York. Looking at those, the only one I feel confident in is Chicago. It's hard to say that those teams are better than us, but I don't think any of those will be easy games. We'll probably have to win at least 5 of the last 8 to be in the playoffs and that seems like a tall order.

4-3-1 isn't a bad record, but we're currently last in the NFCE.
Giants (4-3) and Eagles (4-3) play next week, so we'll likely move up to third in the division during the bye. If Giants and Eagles tie, then it's a three way tie for 2nd! Cowboys have Cleveland next week, so they'll likely get to 7-1 and have a 2.5 game lead on us. The division is definitely a long shot, but it is was a long shot in latter parts of the season in 2005, 2007, 2012, and 2015.

For the wild card, right now the Giants, Eagles, and Packers are all tied at 4-3 for those two spots and we have games against all three of those teams in the 2nd half of the season. Detroit (4-4) and Arizona (3-4-1) will also probably be wild card contenders for a while. I'm not buying the Rams, Bucs, or Saints.

Giants (4-3) and Eagles (4-3) play next week, so we'll likely move up to third in the division during the bye. If Giants and Eagles tie, then it's a three way tie for 2nd! Cowboys have Cleveland next week, so they'll likely get to 7-1 and have a 2.5 game lead on us. The division is definitely a long shot, but it is was a long shot in latter parts of the season in 2005, 2007, 2012, and 2015.

For the wild card, right now the Giants, Eagles, and Packers are all tied at 4-3 for those two spots and we have games against all three of those teams in the 2nd half of the season. Detroit (4-4) and Arizona (3-4-1) will also probably be wild card contenders for a while. I'm not buying the Rams, Bucs, or Saints.
Mathematically, we are not far out of the wild card race.  However, as MF points out, we have a tough schedule coming home and probably need 5 or 6 wins in that stretch.  I agree with his assessment that that's an uphill climb .  On the other hand, we do have a legit playoff offense (IMO), so if we can get a few turnovers, or a defensive performance like we had vs. Philly, who knows?  It's possible.  I'd say 20% chance.

It's time for Gruden to call a "Code Red."   :D

The schedule certainly doesn't get any better with games against Minnesota, Green Bay, Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philly, and New York. Looking at those, the only one I feel confident in is Chicago. It's hard to say that those teams are better than us, but I don't think any of those will be easy games. We'll probably have to win at least 5 of the last 8 to be in the playoffs and that seems like a tall order.
I feel much better about those games than I did when the schedule came out. AZ and Carolina aren't very good right now. Very beatable. Chicago sucks. We've already beaten Philly and NY, so let's just do that again. Green Bay is too one dimensional to be worrisome at the moment. And I don't see that changing. We owe Dallass one. We're getting it. 7-1 after the bye! 

MikeApf said:
I'm still bummed.

Welcome to the modern NFL and parity in all its glory.

MikeApf said:

Yeah I agree. This team certainly seems good enough to be in contention, but for some reason, they just can't put teams away. The only game where we were just outplayed was Week 1 against Pittsburgh. Every other game, we've been in until the end. Which is good, but even when we win, it seems like it takes some luck. Like you said, the Giants and Browns games took some late turnovers to cement those wins. I don't know what it is, but every game comes down to the wire.

It's hard to say what this team will do in the 2nd half. 4-3-1 isn't a bad record, but we're currently last in the NFCE. The schedule certainly doesn't get any better with games against Minnesota, Green Bay, Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philly, and New York. Looking at those, the only one I feel confident in is Chicago. It's hard to say that those teams are better than us, but I don't think any of those will be easy games. We'll probably have to win at least 5 of the last 8 to be in the playoffs and that seems like a tall order.

Coaching is the xfactor here.  we dont have good coaching.

:wall:

ESPN.com news services

Redskins left tackle Trent Williams was suspended four games Tuesday for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

The suspension, which is without pay, begins immediately. He will be eligible to return to the Redskins' roster on Dec. 5, after Washington's game Dec. 4 against the Arizona Cardinals.

He is permitted to take part in team meetings and work out at the team's facility during his suspension.

He will forfeit $1,650,735.29 in base salary and per-game bonuses during his suspension. Williams is in the second year of a five-year, $66 million extension he signed with the Redskins in 2015.

Disappointing news regarding Trent Williams' suspension.   It's truly unfortunate that this happened to a team captain and one of the faces of the franchise.   Hopefully Trent will get the support that is needed.  

Having said all that, it's easy to be angry with him for such a selfish act.  It's surprising that he only got 4 games as a multiple time offender.   

Disappointing news regarding Trent Williams' suspension.   It's truly unfortunate that this happened to a team captain and one of the faces of the franchise.   Hopefully Trent will get the support that is needed.  

Having said all that, it's easy to be angry with him for such a selfish act.  It's surprising that he only got 4 games as a multiple time offender.   
It is reportedly for missing a test rather than failing a test. 

Not that they'd cut WIlliams, but I believe this gives the team the option to eliminate the guaranteed part of the remainder of his contract without a cap hit.  Might see some renegotiation there.

At least I think this is right.

Users who are viewing this thread