What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (12 Viewers)

The Washington Redskins cut veteran defensive end Jason Hatcher on Monday after two seasons with the team, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Hatcher, who will turn 34 in July, was owed $8.7 million against the cap. The move will create $4.2 million in cap space.

Washington wanted to move in a different direction as it looks to retool its aging defensive line. Hatcher played in 15 games last year and was among one of the leaders in the locker room but his body struggled to get through the season. While he hinted at retirement at the end of the season, a person close to Hatcher said that he intends to play in 2016 for his 11th NFL season.

Hatcher finished with 7.5 sacks in 28 games with the Redskins since 2014 after spending eight seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Redskins will look for other ways to create cap space after the Hatcher move. They could save an additional $3 million in cap space by cutting wide receiver Andre Roberts, but they currently can’t make the move because Roberts is injured. The wide receiver was placed on injured reserve because of a torn meniscus in his right knee during the final month of the regular season. He is due $5 million in 2016.

The Redskins have also informed nose tackle Terrance Knighton and fullback Darrel Young, who will both become unrestricted free agents, that the team will go in a different directions. Knighton signed a one-year deal last season to join his childhood friend, Chris Baker, on the Redskins defensive line. The team will now look to address the nose tackle position either through free agency or the draft. Young played in all 16 games last year, but he was rarely used throughout the season. He has spent all six seasons with the Redskins.

I like Hatcher but the move makes sense.  Knighton didn't do much so whatever, sad to see DY go although it was obvious last year he doesn't fit with what Gruden wants to do.

sad to see DY go although it was obvious last year he doesn't fit with what Gruden wants to do.
Actually, my understanding is that's Callahan thing. Apparently he has a big say in the running game and he doesn't like using FBs in the running game.

Just released Goldson as well
I expected that one. Friendly contract for cutting, clearing up a good chunk of space. Culliver is the one I'm interested to see what they do.

Sounds like Jeron Johnson is also gone now. I'm sure there will be a few more.

This site is really up to date on the cap.

Wow, sounds like Cooley really unloaded on Griffin in this interview:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/08/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-chris-cooley-teammates-dislike

There are probably bits of truth here and there, such as the OLine taking too much blame for sacks, but at the same time, he's really going out of his way to make statements about Robert's character.  

Not endorsing Cooley's remarks or knocking them either...just thought it was interesting interview to make just in the wake of Griffin's release...

Wow, sounds like Cooley really unloaded on Griffin in this interview:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/08/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-chris-cooley-teammates-dislike

There are probably bits of truth here and there, such as the OLine taking too much blame for sacks, but at the same time, he's really going out of his way to make statements about Robert's character.  

Not endorsing Cooley's remarks or knocking them either...just thought it was interesting interview to make just in the wake of Griffin's release...
typical cooley.  I am just glad(hopefully) all the drama surrounding the team is gone now.  Though im sure they will find something to talk about.

typical cooley.  I am just glad(hopefully) all the drama surrounding the team is gone now.  Though im sure they will find something to talk about.
I don't like Cooley much anymore.  But he's not saying anything everyone didn't already know.  There's always been reports of Griffin not being well liked.

I don't like Cooley much anymore.  But he's not saying anything everyone didn't already know.  There's always been reports of Griffin not being well liked.
My thing is, who cares? So not every teammate loved Griffin. Couldn't the same be said in pretty much every locker room? I think it's crazy to think that every guy in the locker room gets along with every other guy.

We all know Cooley has a crush on Kirk and his buddy-buddy with him. It's hard to take anything Cooley says seriously anymore. I was as big of a Cooley fan as you could find, but I dislike Cooley the media personality.

My thing is, who cares? So not every teammate loved Griffin. Couldn't the same be said in pretty much every locker room? I think it's crazy to think that every guy in the locker room gets along with every other guy.

We all know Cooley has a crush on Kirk and his buddy-buddy with him. It's hard to take anything Cooley says seriously anymore. I was as big of a Cooley fan as you could find, but I dislike Cooley the media personality.
I don't get Cooley making comments now.  Really no reason except to look like he's "breaking" some story or just wanting to see his name on the TV.

I don't get Cooley making comments now.  Really no reason except to look like he's "breaking" some story or just wanting to see his name on the TV.
And really there is no story. It's been reported numerous times that Griffin didn't get along with the entire team. Which again, isn't really something unique to just Griffin and the Redskins.

One headline I saw said, "Cooley says Griffin was never friendly with Cousins". Okay, so? The guy just took his job, I'm not expecting them to go catch a movie and hangout after practices. From everything we saw on the sidelines, it looked like they would communicate with each other and Griffin was the first one out there high fiving guys after TDs and such. Not sure what on in the locker room, but it's not like on Sundays Griffin just sat and pouted on the sidelines.

Cooley just likes to feel like he's so connected to the team and maybe he is. But he's become unlistenable to on the radio and I've lost all interest in what he has to say. Especially after the crap he pulled during his Bruce Allen interview where he was butt hurt because they wouldn't bring him back this year even with all the injuries at TE. Newsflash Chris, your last relevant year as a TE was back in 2010. It's over bud.

Get this BUM Chris Cooley off the radio and tv please... don't worry still got property in VA when I see him Ima smack the #### out of him
— Brian Orakpo (@rak98) March 9, 2016

Hold up!!!! What did Chris Cooley say on the radio ? ��������������������
— Ricky Jean Francois (@Freakyjean99) March 9, 2016
Have no words for this...... ����������
— Ricky Jean Francois (@Freakyjean99) March 9, 2016
I haven't heard Cooley but I've heard a lot of players upset with what he saying. I gotta hear this
— Terrance Knighton (@MisterRoast98) March 9, 2016
Can't keep ####tin on people you worked with & called your teammates.
— Niles Paul (@Niles_Paul84) March 9, 2016
Anybody who smile in yo face actin like a friend & than go say some slick #### about you for ratings is lame https://t.co/8vGJYnD1EG
— Niles Paul (@Niles_Paul84) March 9, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the Cooley comments came out Knighton was on Total Access and was praising RG3 as a teammate and saying we'll see him succeed at his next spot. 

Before the Cooley comments came out Knighton was on Total Access and was praising RG3 as a teammate and saying we'll see him succeed at his next spot. 
Cooley's comments are just him trying to grab ratings.  He'll be on this afternoon saying anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.

Cooley's comments are just him trying to grab ratings.  He'll be on this afternoon saying anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.
That's pretty much what he did with all the Kirk doubters this year. Called anyone who disagreed with him idiots and that "everyone could see it coming" with Kirk.

I'm so glad to see his former teammates calling him out for his BS. Oh and look, there's teammates of RG3's standing up for him. I thought they didn't do that?

Also it's nice to see The Redskins showing restraint in Free Agency so far.  They are a couple of good drafts away from being serious contenders, nice to see they aren't thinking they are just a big player or two away.  

That's pretty much what he did with all the Kirk doubters this year. Called anyone who disagreed with him idiots and that "everyone could see it coming" with Kirk.

I'm so glad to see his former teammates calling him out for his BS. Oh and look, there's teammates of RG3's standing up for him. I thought they didn't do that?
I think Cooley is flailing right now.  His big thing was being very forward and open with how players think and some nice insight on breaking down plays that we hadn't had in the DC area before.  He's become so thin skinned with any criticism, even a random caller disagreeing with him.  Yes made that show unlistenable.

I think Cooley is flailing right now.  His big thing was being very forward and open with how players think and some nice insight on breaking down plays that we hadn't had in the DC area before.  He's become so thin skinned with any criticism, even a random caller disagreeing with him.  Yes made that show unlistenable.
Agreed. Was a big fan of The Drive when it first started. Loved when Cooley would talk about the team and be able to give a unique insight since (at the time) he still was very familiar with the coaching staff, players, GM, etc. Now though, like you said, if someone disagrees with him, he can't handle it. Galdi spends all show sucking up to him and Czabe tries to call him out on some of his more outlandish things, but Galdi always backs Cooley. It's a terrible show now, especially since football is over and Cooley is pretty much useless when it comes to baseball/basketball/hockey talk.

I just saw the below article on PFT.  It definitely sets a floor of $18M per year for the Kirk Cousins negotiations.  They did not report how much guaranteed money Houston offered. 

Osweiler gets $18M a year from Texans, Broncos offered $16M

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2016, 3:38 PM EST
Brock Osweiler followed the money when he left Denver for Houston.

According to multiple reports, Osweiler’s contract with the Texans will pay him about $18 million a year. The Broncos were offering about $16 million a year.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Osweiler’s deal with the Texans is a four-year, $72 million contract, or an average of $18 million a year.

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos’ offer was $16 million a year, with more than $30 million guaranteed.

And so Osweiler is getting paid in the same range as Sam Bradford in Philadelphia, and the Broncos didn’t think he was worth that much. Although $18 million a year sounds like a lot of money to most of us, it’s the going rate for a second-tier starter in the NFL these days, and Osweiler will get the going rate.

Cooley is that strained hammy that just won't go away.  The sad part is he still believes he can play TE in the NFL so not only does he annoy me as an 'analyst' but with the fact that he doesn't believe the game has passed him up.

PinkydaPimp said:
im surprised denver let him walk.  :shrug:  
The Franchise or Transition Tags are the only way to "not let him walk".  Osweiler got a 4 year, $72M contract with $37M guaranteed.  Denver offered $16M per year and $30M guaranteed.  They did not offer figures to guarantee he does not walk.

I mentioned that Osweiler's contract is a floor for Cousins, did a lot more than Osweiler this year.

One other thought:  Denver was the one team where it makes some sense to put up two first round picks to make a run at Kirk Cousins, since their first round picks this year is known to be the 32nd pick.  And they really need a QB. I am not sure if that is still a possibility since Cousins signed his Franchise Tag offer.

The Franchise or Transition Tags are the only way to "not let him walk".  Osweiler got a 4 year, $72M contract with $37M guaranteed.  Denver offered $16M per year and $30M guaranteed.  They did not offer figures to guarantee he does not walk.

I mentioned that Osweiler's contract is a floor for Cousins, did a lot more than Osweiler this year.

One other thought:  Denver was the one team where it makes some sense to put up two first round picks to make a run at Kirk Cousins, since their first round picks this year is known to be the 32nd pick.  And they really need a QB. I am not sure if that is still a possibility since Cousins signed his Franchise Tag offer.
I don't think Elway will give up two 1st rounders though.  The Defense got them to and won them the Super Bowl I'd imagine they'd try at reclamation project like Griffin or Kapernick or go after Fitzgerald.

They can't directly make Cousins an offer now that he has signed, but that doesn't stop them from offering the Redskins those picks for him in a trade.  Or more likely, somewhat less.  Would Washington deal him for a 1st-plus?  Probably not.

I am pretty sure the Redskins are not trading Cousins. 

PFT covers another scenario:  a team can sign a franchise player after the draft.  Then they would be giving up first round picks in 2017 and 2018.  If they sign the player before the draft, they are giving up first round picks on 2016 and 2017.  That actually is a big difference.

So with Jeron Johnson and Dashon Goldson being released, it's safe to assume MeAngelo is locked in at FS with Duke and Trenton battling for the SS gig?

Man I bought into the Jeron Johnson hype when he filled in for Chancellor.... I didn't expect him to be a nobody like he was last year. 

So with Jeron Johnson and Dashon Goldson being released, it's safe to assume MeAngelo is locked in at FS with Duke and Trenton battling for the SS gig?

Man I bought into the Jeron Johnson hype when he filled in for Chancellor.... I didn't expect him to be a nobody like he was last year. 

More from PFT.  This is John Elway talking about Osweiler:

Last month at the Scouting Combine, Elway made it clear in an interview with NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk that he envisioned a short-term mid-level deal followed by, if all works out, a big-money contract. “I think we do have a system that fits Brock very well,” Elway said. “So for Brock to have continued success, I don’t think will be, this won’t be his big contract, but this will be a contract where he’ll be able to make very good money and be able to prove himself that could lead to that next big contract.”
Elway missed the mark here.  There is such a shortage of QBs, the chance is too great that someone will offer him a contract that is too good to turn down.

There was some talk of using the Transition Tag or no tag on Cousins.  But someone would throw a boatload of money at him.

Osweiler's contract is a two year commitment to him as the starting QB.  And that is something Denver was not willing to offer.

They will sign and/or draft another safety.

I will claim the Redskins have been really unlucky at the safety position.  I think I even wrote before that it's a cursed position since they let Ryan Clark leave via free agency and signed Adam Archuleta.  Keyshown Jarrett's injury was very unfortunate and I heard there is a chance he will miss the whole 2016 season.

Anyone happen to catch 60 minutes?  They had the architect on that is doing the new stadium.  Apparently it will have a moat surrounding it.  :shrug:

Anyone happen to catch 60 minutes?  They had the architect on that is doing the new stadium.  Apparently it will have a moat surrounding it.  :shrug:
I did happen to catch it. I found myself back and forth from thinking it was going to be cool to thinking "Only the 'Skins would have something so stupid." 

stadium concept looked awful. maybe it was just because it didn't include any color in the mock up.

I'm more concerned w/ location of the new stadium vs the design anyway.

I usually try to sell individual games during the season. However, this season, I want to try to find someone to split my season with me 50/50. If you're interested, or know someone who might be interested, send me a PM.

Safety David Bruton signed.

Looks like a special teams/locker room signing more than anything.
He'll compete with Duke to start at SS I bet. Great ST's player and leader but wanted a shot at a starting job. Look at the contract we gave him vs. Jeron Johnson last year.

Also take a peek at his measurables...6'2" 220, 4.48/1.53 40/10, 41" vert and 11' broad...he's 28 now but he's the best physical specimen we've had at SS in a long time and made some plays (yes, surrounded by better talent) in spot starting duty for DEN.

I think we should be a little excited about this as a value signing...guys a hitter and could win the starting SS job imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Galette back on a one year deal. 
Had to do it, IMHO. Scott tried to McCloughan him into a long-term deal, but in the end, we're better off with him for 2016 than without him at all, even if it's just for 2016. Need another credible edge rush threat opposite Kerrigan, and a healthy Galette is a significant upgrade. One side of this is that Galette carries personal baggage. In a perfect world, we have a top-32 pass rushing LB for 2016, and we have the whole year to put together a plan to replace him for 2017 and beyond. If his issues get the best of him, we're only on the hook for 1 year.

Can't wait to see him, Kerrigan, and Smith on the field at the same time.  Preferably with an awesome D-lineman from the draft to take up 2 O-linemen per play.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/03/17/the-redskins-free-agent-moves-and-what-they-mean/

A nice summary of Washington Free Agent moves for any who have not been keeping up day to day.

In this summary, you also get a pretty good sense of McCloughan's style.  It's a breath of fresh air for Redskins fans to be sure.  Take care of your own first...then selectively cherry pick some solid guys at a good price.  The only thing they spent big money on is QB, and your just about forced to do that in today's NFL, so that is certainly understandable.

It would be great if we could find some defensive guys in the draft who could contribute right away, particularly in the areas of secondary and defensive front...

Users who are viewing this thread