What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/04/jay-gruden-has-been-told-hes-returning-in-2019/

not a shock, but Gruden to be retained...

if not for the hope I have in Guice, not sure I'd even bother getting Sunday Ticket to watch the Skins next season.
I don't want to cross any posting lines here, but I am in an area where not every Skins game is broadcast and I have no problem watching them all now.  Check the nflstreams thread at reddit every week (only time I go to reddit). Sunday Ticket's not in my budget, streaming it is easy, nobody gets in trouble, nobody's losing a dollar.

I know this is now ancient history, but can someone tell me why the Skins let McVay walk? Why would they have not fired Gruden and promoted him to HC?
In retrospect that would have been the better move. McVay has turned out to be better at offense than Gruden, seems to motivate players more, and doesn't kill his team at the end of halves with bad clock management, timid playcalling, and contagious uncertainty. Nobody knew then that that would be the case.

I don't want to cross any posting lines here, but I am in an area where not every Skins game is broadcast and I have no problem watching them all now.  Check the nflstreams thread at reddit every week (only time I go to reddit). Sunday Ticket's not in my budget, streaming it is easy, nobody gets in trouble, nobody's losing a dollar.
also, now many people in redskins facebook groups will live stream the games as well.  Lots of options out there. 

In retrospect that would have been the better move. McVay has turned out to be better at offense than Gruden, seems to motivate players more, and doesn't kill his team at the end of halves with bad clock management, timid playcalling, and contagious uncertainty. Nobody knew then that that would be the case.
agreed.  And with our history of coaching choices, if McVay had been made coach my guess is everyone would have been up in arms at the time.  sucks. 

There's some brutally honest stuff in that article.

The franchise was mediocre with Kirk Cousins at quarterback; it is mediocre without him. It was mediocre during Scot McCloughan’s stint as the general manager; it is mediocre without him. It was mediocre when most of the talent was on offense; it is mediocre now that most of the talent is on defense.

Close feels an awful lot like stuck.
“All Snyder has done as an NFL owner is freeload off massive revenue streams he didn’t help create,”
Embarrassing owners aren’t a big deal; a dozen NFL teams, starting with Dallas, have owners who’ll offer up a cringeworthy quote on demand. But an embarrassing owner who can’t deliver a quality on-field product? That’s a real problem. And an embarrassing owner with a poor on-field product who’s expecting governments to help fund his dreams of a vast new stadium — as Snyder craves — ought to be laughed out of every City Hall and state capitol within a hundred miles.

And with our history of coaching choices, if McVay had been made coach my guess is everyone would have been up in arms at the time.  sucks.
Probably, until winning started,  and the players played hard every game, and the coach didn't give away points at the end of halves.  Sure wish we could have that decision back.

And Gruden will never, ever hire a good defensive coordinator. He feels threatened by defensive coaches so he'll only hire second or third tier guys who will be subservient.

Okay, so we all know Dan likes to make a big splash. I really hope we try and trade for Antonio Brown. I know he wouldn't chose to come here if he was a FA, but we could trade for him. Fingers crossed....  :popcorn:

Snyder wanting a new stadium is beyond laughable. "Hey, fans are cancelling their tickets in droves. No waiting list. Attendance dwindling. You know what we need? A big, new shiny stadium!!!!" Yep, that'll certainly bring the fans back, especially when it is built with tax dollars.

How much money could the Skins fan here raise to get a hit man to take Snyder and Allen out? Come on, I can't be the only one that has thought about it.... ;)

Don't understand why people are acting outraged about this.  Who actually thought Allen was going to be gone this year?   Especially after the purge at the end of the year.  Especially after Jay Gruden was brought back so matter of fact like.    What you think a freaking hashtag means anything to Richie Rich.  He probably doesn't even know it exists he is in such a delusional bubble

But hey I am sure drafting Kyler Murray from Oklahoma in the 1st round will solve all of the problems.  

Don't understand why people are acting outraged about this.  Who actually thought Allen was going to be gone this year?   Especially after the purge at the end of the year.  Especially after Jay Gruden was brought back so matter of fact like.    What you think a freaking hashtag means anything to Richie Rich.  He probably doesn't even know it exists he is in such a delusional bubble

But hey I am sure drafting Kyler Murray from Oklahoma in the 1st round will solve all of the problems.  
Of course I'm not surprised.  I just don't like it.  😞

ETA:  Yes, Murray will be the pick, so he can promptly say, "nah, I changed my mind I wanna play baseball, leaving the SKins with a wasted pick (not sarcasm...the Skins would DEFINITELY be the team to do this)

Last edited by a moderator:
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/redskins-meet-gregg-williams/480975

Evidently the Skins trying to meet with Gregg Williams.  While I would love to see Williams come to the Redskins (hell, I would like to have him be HC rather than Gruden), I can't for the life of me understand why he'd come back to D.C. after Snyder f-d him over previously.  He should have been given a HC opportunity after Gibbs left...the only thing Snyder can do is throw huge sums of money at him, so he thinks, "hell, I'll do this for one year then take a real job."

I'm also thinking it's likely that no one is gonna want to be DC for Gruden right now, as Gruden is a lame duck very likely to be canned next year.  You might say that WIlliams would take it thinking he could go for the HC job but he's already been f-d on that deal twice now, once with Skins, once with Browns...so I can't see reason for him to come here, though I think he's a very good DC and would be an upgrade over Manusky.

ETA:  When all DC candidates reject the Skins, we'll then be left with Manusky who knows that the team doesn't want him, doesn't believe in him, and tried to replace him.  So even if he does do well, he won't be motivated to stay with the team.  Brilliant "management" as usual...

Bruce Allen gave a rare 16-minute impromptu discussion with the media at the Senior Bowl (he almost never speaks to local media).   It was the usual talking loud and saying nothing.   

I knew that at any moment Sally Jenkins from the Post would impale Bruce, and sure enough here it came.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/bruce-allens-contempt-for-redskins-fans-is-clear--he-thinks-theyre-buying-this/2019/01/23/f086d270-1f2c-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.7948dcd95ea6

Good article about Guice's recover and rehab.

Guice Update

The encouraging part: "My arms are back up to strength with where they were in training camp. I’m back to sprinting now. We’re not doing full speed lateral stuff yet, but we’re doing full speed straight ahead and we’re doing a lot of bounds and jumping and single leg stability, and a lot of glute, hamstrings, hips, just focusing on all the small things now trying to build everything back up slowly. My extension, my bend is probably three degrees from my butt now, and my other one touches my butt, so we’re there. We’re right there. We don’t even talk about timelines, we just take it week to week. I’m still strong as an ox. We’re getting it back."

Rotoworld is so kind to us...

Coach Jay Gruden expressed confidence in Colt McCoy as the Redskins' possible starting quarterback.

Yikes. Alex Smith (leg) may never play again, and McCoy is the only other quarterback on the roster. "I could be really ignorant," Gruden said. "I've just seen him throw the ball for five years in the offseason, in training camp. ... I have total confidence. He's got a great knowledge of the system, he's comfortable with the guys we have, he's a great leader, he's a competitor." McCoy started two games after Smith's injury last year only to go out and break his own leg in Week 13. The Redskins aren't expected to be players for Nick Foles. Perhaps they'll draft a quarterback or bring in a Ryan Tannehill type to compete with McCoy for the job. This team is going to stink.

:bag:

Here's the plan fellow Skins fans, I just need someone to get this information to Snyder.

We trade one of our 3rd round picks for Rosen. We trade the other 3rd (or if need be 2nd) for AB.

We draft Hockenson or Fant with our 1st rounder. 

Along with a healthy Guice, we've just transformed the offense to an actual legit NFL caliber team. 

Who's down? 

Here's the plan fellow Skins fans, I just need someone to get this information to Snyder.

We trade one of our 3rd round picks for Rosen. We trade the other 3rd (or if need be 2nd) for AB.

We draft Hockenson or Fant with our 1st rounder. 

Along with a healthy Guice, we've just transformed the offense to an actual legit NFL caliber team. 

Who's down? 
Rosen won't go for less than a 1st round pick. 

I'm game. Not that I think it will work, but whatever they'd do with those draft picks probably wouldn't work either so let's get crazy.

I could be wrong, but I think it will substantially more than that to get Rosen and AB.  They'd also have to clear some cap space for AB.  Might be worth it for AB, but I'm not sure about Rosen -- a 3rd, okay; but, if more than that, probably better off just signing somebody like Bridgewater.

If we're smart we'll be in position for Tua or Fromm next year or TREVOR LAWRENCE in two years.  But this team is not smart and can't even tank right.

Ironically Rosen is possibly bad enough to position us for Lawrence, in spite of ourselves.

I don't believe his stock has fallen that far from a top 10 pick a year ago. 
There aren’t a ton of teams in the market though and Dolphins have no interest. I think he will go cheaper than what you might think. Although I don’t think it’s all his fault his numbers last year were Pretty awful. I think where he was drafted is almost irrelevant now. This isn’t Jimmy G that sat and didn’t play, he had plenty of starts to show out and he didn’t. In fact he finished last in QB rating in the entire league 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

There aren’t a ton of teams in the market though and Dolphins have no interest. I think he will go cheaper than what you might think. Although I don’t think it’s all his fault his numbers last year were Pretty awful. I think where he was drafted is almost irrelevant now. This isn’t Jimmy G that sat and didn’t play, he had plenty of starts to show out and he didn’t. In fact he finished last in QB rating in the entire league 

That's crazy. He's a no-brainer for anything less than a 1st.

Jags, Giants, Broncos, Dolphins all qb needy and pick ahead of Was. Cin, Oak, and Det might become interested as well. There’s no way a top 10 picked qb with 4 years on his rookie deal is going for peanuts like a 3rd rd pick lol. 

In talks for Case Keenum...

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Sources: The #Redskins and #Broncos are working a trade for QB Case Keenum to land in Washington. Issues to work out, but both sides are motivated to make this happen

This better be Washington getting a draft pick from Denver for taking on his contract (because Donkeys must be getting Rosen) 

In talks for Case Keenum...

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Sources: The #Redskins and #Broncos are working a trade for QB Case Keenum to land in Washington. Issues to work out, but both sides are motivated to make this happen
Ugh.  I hate this.  Let colt sling it.  Draft a late end qb as a flier.  Grab a vet off waivers.

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Broncos have trade parameters with Washington for QB Case Keenum: Broncos get WAS 6th in 2020, WAS gets Broncos 7th in '20, per source. Keenum's contract reworked. Broncos pay him $500K restructure bonus and pay $3.5 million of his $7M salary. Washington pays $3.5 mi. #9sports

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Broncos have trade parameters with Washington for QB Case Keenum: Broncos get WAS 6th in 2020, WAS gets Broncos 7th in '20, per source. Keenum's contract reworked. Broncos pay him $500K restructure bonus and pay $3.5 million of his $7M salary. Washington pays $3.5 mi. #9sports
I may have to eat my words.  With those parameters, Skins may actually be getting a good deal here.

I may have to eat my words.  With those parameters, Skins may actually be getting a good deal here.
It's good value and I like that it's not a trade that makes it a lock that Washington sees Keenum as the unquestioned starter. I can still see them going after Rosen or someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread