What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (7 Viewers)

Flowers was pretty athletic for a big guy coming out of Miami. He fits the pro type of a guard under Callahan. He can’t be worse than what we’ve had at left guard last few years. Callahan seems capable of coaching up pretty well along the O line. Low risk one year signing for a potential starting LG and emergency 2nd swing T behind Christian. 

I am forever the optimist.  I believe the Redskins will finish no worse that the 28th worst record in football.
Nice! They are the worst run organization in the NFL and it's Dan Snyder's fault. He sucks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Landon Collins signing and rumors of trading for a wr make a lot more sense if Danny has input in the personnel moves.  My opinion is neither makes much sense.
Listened to an interview with Collins.  Sean Taylor was his hero and I think he told his agent that he wanted to sign with Washington no matter what.  At their congratulatory dinner, Danny gave Collins one of the two signed, game-worn Taylor jerseys from his personal memorabilia collection.

Listened to an interview with Collins.  Sean Taylor was his hero and I think he told his agent that he wanted to sign with Washington no matter what.  At their congratulatory dinner, Danny gave Collins one of the two signed, game-worn Taylor jerseys from his personal memorabilia collection.
...so that the fans would talk about Sean Taylor for three more seasons and maybe buy some merch and tix.  Just like they did with Swearinger.  Snyder will squeeze every last drop out of 21.

...so that the fans would talk about Sean Taylor for three more seasons and maybe buy some merch and tix.  Just like they did with Swearinger.  Snyder will squeeze every last drop out of 21.
While I don't mind the bashing of Snyder (deserved and fair) I do think I've read way before he signed with Washington that Collins was a huge ST fan. So I think that was actually quite legit. But Snyder and Allen both suck donkey balls. 

While I don't mind the bashing of Snyder (deserved and fair) I do think I've read way before he signed with Washington that Collins was a huge ST fan. So I think that was actually quite legit. But Snyder and Allen both suck donkey balls. 
Oh for sure.  Collins is a legit ST fan (and skins fan for that matter) as the majority of safeties are his age.  Snyder just cashing in on it.

Why does every Redskin that has surgery have to undergo more surgeries after the original surgery? Alex Smith, Guice, and now McCoy?

Flowers was pretty athletic for a big guy coming out of Miami. He fits the pro type of a guard under Callahan. He can’t be worse than what we’ve had at left guard last few years. Callahan seems capable of coaching up pretty well along the O line. Low risk one year signing for a potential starting LG and emergency 2nd swing T behind Christian. 
Understatement. Hes the best in the business. I was so pissed he wanted out of Dallas. 

Understatement. Hes the best in the business. I was so pissed he wanted out of Dallas. 
I am not saying he is not good, but Callahan has been given a lot of talent to work with, especially in Dallas. Scarnecchia in NE has been doing a great job with far less talent on hand, and far less continuity.

Can Josh Doctson be better with Case Keenum, Colt Mccoy, Josh Rosen or one of the QB's in the draft?

Make or break year for Josh Doctson? And what part of the draft do you think the Redskins address the WR position? This offense needs playmakers and yet there are a ton of holes to fill.
Can doctson be any worse?  

He’s almost drop worthy in dynasty leagues. I’m holding but if he doesn’t show anything more this year I’ll cut bait. I’m sure they will draft his replacement this year. 
Second on the team in both receptions and yards, and tied for first in TD receptions(chuckle). 

If I remember correctly he was billed as a contested ball receiver coming out of college and that is probably the worst type of receiver to be matched up with Alex Smith. I never thought it was JUST Smith didn't like to push the ball downfield, it was more a case he would only throw to wide open receivers. With Hill/Kelce just beating coverage by several steps and Andy Reid game-planning complimentary players open he had success in KC because his receivers got open. Seems to me Doctson just isn't a guy that's going to create a lot of separation and Gruden is no Reid. I was sell, sell, sell on Doctson last summer.

The clown car that came after the Smith injury would have made Antonio Brown look below average. <shrug> Seems to me he is battling for targets with Richarson(WHEN HEALTHY),  Trey Quinn in the slot(who also can't seem to stay healthy), and Jordan Reed(insert your own injury joke here). I'm a cautious "buy" mode now for the right price just based on opportunity alone. The assumption is they will draft another WR but I would guess that would be somewhere near the middle rounds based on the draft capital sunk into Doctson and salary dumped into Richarson already. Trey Quinn is the guy in the offense most likely to be torpedoed by a 2nd/3rd day draft pick.

If WAS was smart and traded for Rosen or if they were dumb and drafted Lock I would be pursuing Docston fairly aggressively. Rosen takes chances and would raise the level of the passing game a fair bit from where it was last season. Lock makes mistakes reading defenses and isn't exactly accurate which lead to more passing attempts down field and garbage time stats.The jackpot scenario would be WAS drafting a WR in round 1 followed by a draft day trade to a team with the type of QB's that force the ball to WR's even when they are covered and give them an opportunity to make a play on the ball. Rivers, Big Ben, Watson, even Fitzpatrick. If he got traded to any of those places I would be "buy, buy, buy" on the guy.

He had a significant piece of a tiny, tiny pie(bottom 5 in passing). Even if WAS only crawls closer to average and drafts a rookie WR to replace Crowder I wouldn't be surprised if Docston has a "career" year which admittedly isn't saying much. But he won't cost much and if you think there's a chance Richardson/Reed get hurt this year then he might be pretty good sleeper even if circumstances don't change much in WAS before the season starts.

I hope you are right but I just have little faith in Doctson. If he couldn't excel in a pass friendly offense with Cousins, I just don't seem him excelling period. Just so many drops over the last few years. Yeah he occasionally makes a good catch, but not nearly enough to instill confidence if I'm the QB throwing the ball to him. 

He sucks.  Has no heart, never gonna be what you hope.  With the right QB he could earn a bench spot on a dynasty roster and maybe create a little buzz as a trade chips, but that's his ceiling.

Don't forget he's already turning 27 this year.  

I hope you are right but I just have little faith in Doctson. If he couldn't excel in a pass friendly offense with Cousins, I just don't seem him excelling period. Just so many drops over the last few years. Yeah he occasionally makes a good catch, but not nearly enough to instill confidence if I'm the QB throwing the ball to him. 
This. 

Sorry, @BoltBacker. Opportunity doesn't fix being a terrible WR. 

If he couldn't excel in a pass friendly offense with Cousins, I just don't seem him excelling period. Just so many drops over the last few years. Yeah he occasionally makes a good catch, but not nearly enough to instill confidence if I'm the QB throwing the ball to him. 
I just felt he was injured so much of the time when Cousins was there it was tough to really gauge his play. Not just missing games but missing an entire summer of practice with a lower body injury(which stifles fitness level). 

When it comes to drops I feel that you are right about that. He's very good at fighting for the ball and putting himself in position to catch the ball vs coverage but for some reason he's disappointed in actually CATCHING the ball at the end of the play. I don't feel that was the case in college so maybe I'm just hopeful that the small sample size and the putrid quality of QB play while he's been healthy at least leaves a chance the coin will drop. But it may take a fresh start with another team, maybe with a higher caliber of QB play.

He's so cheap right now he's precisely the scratcher ticket I like sitting on the end of the bench in dynasty. If doesn't earn any buzz in the summer and disappoints in the early going, that's what the waiver wire is for. Nothing loss nothing gained. In most of my dynasty leagues he can be had for a ham sandwich. A stale, day old one at that.

This. 

Sorry, @BoltBacker. Opportunity doesn't fix being a terrible WR. 
That's true, but Breshard Perriman looked like a train-wreck in BAL. Suddenly, he wakes up one day in CLE with Mayfield throwing him the ball(in an unfamiliar offense and no offseason reps with Mayfield keep in mind) and he looks like a legitimate NFL WR for a few weeks. Maybe that's pure coincidence, I don't really know. But I do know that the last four weeks of 2018 he had 233/2 down the stretch. That's a season pace of 932/8 which doesn't suddenly make him an ALL-PRO but it shows a player may not be "done" just because they had injuries early in their career followed by poor QB play. 

That's true, but Breshard Perriman looked like a train-wreck in BAL. Suddenly, he wakes up one day in CLE with Mayfield throwing him the ball(in an unfamiliar offense and no offseason reps with Mayfield keep in mind) and he looks like a legitimate NFL WR for a few weeks. Maybe that's pure coincidence, I don't really know. But I do know that the last four weeks of 2018 he had 233/2 down the stretch. That's a season pace of 932/8 which doesn't suddenly make him an ALL-PRO but it shows a player may not be "done" just because they had injuries early in their career followed by poor QB play. 
He caught 8 passes in 4 weeks.  

I'm telling you guys, the biggest problem with Josh is he has no heart.  It's been that way since day 1.  He's the Tinman.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I don't know if THIS move precludes the Redskins from making another move or maybe even two at QB before the start of the season.

They swapped a 6th for a 7th to acquire him, but more importantly only pay him ~$4mil. Meh, that's backup QB $. Colt McCoy is making that much. Seems to me they could be competing for the backup job. Rosen or Bridgewater could still be targeted as the starter, but now if plans for those two guys fell through they don't have to swing wildly with an early pick in the draft where there aren't many(any?) guys ready to start. Personally, I was hoping that they would look for a guy like Grier or Rypien on day 3 of the draft to stash on the practice squad and eventually groom to take over as QB#2 as a cheaper option to McCoy/Keenum. That move would still makes sense to me.

I'm not normally a huge fan of Redskin offseason moves but this one kind of seems like a no-brainer with very little downside for a team that was incredibly thin at QB before this move. Now they just have a little more breathing room if their best laid plans don't go as hoped moving forward. 
Starting Rosen(on his rookie contract) and having Keenum for depth(at backup QB $) would certainly be making lemonade out of the Alex Smith injury lemons. Let's hope this latest blurb is more fire than smoke......

"ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Redskins are "doing genuine due diligence" on Josh Rosen.

Washington will possibly get back Alex Smith in 2020 and brought in Case Keenum as a stopgap, but their quarterback situation is far from settled. Given that uncertainty, trading for last year's No. 10 overall pick on a team friendly deal would be an excellent move if the price is right. Rosen has also been linked with the Giants, Chargers, and Patriots.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Apr 2, 2019, 3:43 PM"

The only thing that can elevate this team to true relevance is a legitimately elite QB, otherwise we will get dragged down by all the incompetence at the various levels from ownership to front office to coaching throughout the organization.

So no, I don't want Rosen.  I don't want any band aids.  I want this ####### franchise to take its medicine and finally hit rock bottom in time for the 2020 or 2021 franchise QBs (Tua, Fromm, Lawrence).  Along with the house cleaning throughout the organization that would surely come with it.

Anything else is just wasting more of our collective time.

The only thing that can elevate this team to true relevance is a legitimately elite QB, otherwise we will get dragged down by all the incompetence at the various levels from ownership to front office to coaching throughout the organization.

So no, I don't want Rosen.  I don't want any band aids.  I want this ####### franchise to take its medicine and finally hit rock bottom in time for the 2020 or 2021 franchise QBs (Tua, Fromm, Lawrence).  Along with the house cleaning throughout the organization that would surely come with it.

Anything else is just wasting more of our collective time.
I disagree.  I think it’s easier to build a dominant defense and oline and use a game manager or hope to find a good qb later in drafts than it is to find an elite qb

I disagree.  I think it’s easier to build a dominant defense and oline and use a game manager or hope to find a good qb later in drafts than it is to find an elite qb
If you're a smart, well run franchise with a strong team culture, sure.  When has that ever described the Redskins aside from when Gibbs was wearing a headset?

The list is like Peyton, Brady, Brees...HOF level QB play is the only thing that can mask a franchise with a rotten core.

So what would be your plan to acquire a HOF QB? An honest question, not trying to be a smart ###.
Bottom line I think they'll have to get lucky.  Snyder and Allen will never give this roster the true evaluation it needs.  Snyder because he's an idiot about football, Bruce because he's an idiot about football and is trying to keep his job by winning at least 7 or 8 games per year no matter what.  

As a fan only interested in building a winner, I'd happily trade several seasons of real futility if following a sound plan.  I wish above all else they'd fully commit to a rebuild.  Trade back when possible to acquire picks in future years, follow the Ravens model of compensatory pick accumulation, trade away aging assets like Trent WIlliams, Reed, and Norman for whatever picks they fetch, trim the cap where possible, promote from the practice squad regularly, churn the bottom of the roster looking for breakout players, and give guys that flash a real opportunity at snaps.  

A plan of that sort would inevitably lead to several years of really poor seasons, but would give them a crack at bottoming out and finishing at or near the top of the draft order for a change.  Tua, Fromm, and Lawrence in 2021 all look like franchise QB candidates- whether they blossom beyond that into Pro Bowl, All-Pro, or even HOF level QBs depends on far too many factors to list here. 

Bruce would never agree to this, so he'd have to go.  Turn the duties over to Kyle Smith and give him full and complete control over the front office.  Let him retain who he wants and build his staff as he sees fit.  Make it clear he has time to execute a long term strategy as long as he is prioritizing the future above a single season.  Slowly, the culture could begin to change.  Promote competition above all.  Take a chance on a young hotshot coach (I said well before he left they should have fired Jay and promoted McVay) and hope he's a good one.  Be ready to move on after three seasons if he's not.  Keep playing the long game, accumulating talent and picks, re-signing true difference makers as their contracts toll.

You follow that plan for 2-3 seasons, I guarantee you we are all happy campers with the direction of the franchise and that we're far, FAR closer to being a real contender than we are now.

Instead, we get Landon Collins so they can keep selling Taylor merch, plus Rosen or whatever QB they trade up or reach for in a bad QB draft class to sell hope to the fanbase.

They don't have a real plan and won't as long as Allen is the one underneath Snyder.  I may hate him, but I still think it's possible to win with Snyder, so long as he has a real football guy running the show with complete and total autonomy.  Bruce is a politician type whose greatest value to the organization is handling all the talking at meetings that Snyder is uncomfortable attending.  

Bottom line I think they'll have to get lucky.  Snyder and Allen will never give this roster the true evaluation it needs.  Snyder because he's an idiot about football, Bruce because he's an idiot about football and is trying to keep his job by winning at least 7 or 8 games per year no matter what.  

As a fan only interested in building a winner, I'd happily trade several seasons of real futility if following a sound plan.  I wish above all else they'd fully commit to a rebuild.  Trade back when possible to acquire picks in future years, follow the Ravens model of compensatory pick accumulation, trade away aging assets like Trent WIlliams, Reed, and Norman for whatever picks they fetch, trim the cap where possible, promote from the practice squad regularly, churn the bottom of the roster looking for breakout players, and give guys that flash a real opportunity at snaps.  

A plan of that sort would inevitably lead to several years of really poor seasons, but would give them a crack at bottoming out and finishing at or near the top of the draft order for a change.  Tua, Fromm, and Lawrence in 2021 all look like franchise QB candidates- whether they blossom beyond that into Pro Bowl, All-Pro, or even HOF level QBs depends on far too many factors to list here. 

Bruce would never agree to this, so he'd have to go.  Turn the duties over to Kyle Smith and give him full and complete control over the front office.  Let him retain who he wants and build his staff as he sees fit.  Make it clear he has time to execute a long term strategy as long as he is prioritizing the future above a single season.  Slowly, the culture could begin to change.  Promote competition above all.  Take a chance on a young hotshot coach (I said well before he left they should have fired Jay and promoted McVay) and hope he's a good one.  Be ready to move on after three seasons if he's not.  Keep playing the long game, accumulating talent and picks, re-signing true difference makers as their contracts toll.

You follow that plan for 2-3 seasons, I guarantee you we are all happy campers with the direction of the franchise and that we're far, FAR closer to being a real contender than we are now.

Instead, we get Landon Collins so they can keep selling Taylor merch, plus Rosen or whatever QB they trade up or reach for in a bad QB draft class to sell hope to the fanbase.

They don't have a real plan and won't as long as Allen is the one underneath Snyder.  I may hate him, but I still think it's possible to win with Snyder, so long as he has a real football guy running the show with complete and total autonomy.  Bruce is a politician type whose greatest value to the organization is handling all the talking at meetings that Snyder is uncomfortable attending.  

Most winners "get lucky". Where would the Pats be if the Browns didn't fire Belicheck? Where would they be even if they did, but some other team grabbed Brady in the 5th round? Steelers have the best ownerzzz!!!! except look at them now. Won't make the playoffs. Luck is the name of the game. 

dgreen said:
I still prefer the strategy I outline above, but getting Rosen for a 2nd or less would be a smart football decision.  I'd give them credit if they get it done.  I still don't think Rosen will be special and I'd rather play the long game, but it would make sense to try.

If they have to pay more than a 2nd though my opinion changes rapidly.  We are in no position to trade top 15 picks, either this year or next.  

I would think if the best strategy to find a HOF QB is "get lucky" then acquiring as many young QB's as possible rated as 1st round talent would be the best way to go about doing that. If that truly is your litmus test for success then you'll be using the 15th pick(and next years 1st, and so on) until you find that HOF QB, no?

I would think if the best strategy to find a HOF QB is "get lucky" then acquiring as many young QB's as possible rated as 1st round talent would be the best way to go about doing that. If that truly is your litmus test for success then you'll be using the 15th pick(and next years 1st, and so on) until you find that HOF QB, no?
This is such a weird post. 

For context, I think he’s responding to a previous post by Jon
He was, but it's still a weird post lol.  Drafting QB after QB until you happen to get a good one is not how the world works.

If they do get Rosen without giving up a 1st, I think a WR at #15 is a pretty safe bet.  They need to make a splash to drum up interest from fans- a young QB/WR combo with Guice in the mix will attract attention.

Would be better than a lot of their "plans" have been lately.

Users who are viewing this thread