What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

I mean I’d be open to that :shrug: .  What about ADP to Houston?  
That would be riskier (suppose Guice gets hurt again), but if they could get something substantial for him it might be worth the risk. It's not like this is going to be a playoff year.

They really need help at LG --- Flowers was just awful against Atlanta --- and they need help at LT also.

Bryce Love is on the reserved/PUP list and probably won't be available this year.

I'm fine with him waiting a year to recover and play again. From what I've read he's extremely talented. It would be nice to have 2 good, young RB's on the team.

Bryce Love is on the reserved/PUP list and probably won't be available this year.

I'm fine with him waiting a year to recover and play again. From what I've read he's extremely talented. It would be nice to have 2 good, young RB's on the team.
I like the young talent on the team. Confident with the young DLs and RBs. Hopefully one or two of the young WRs can work out. Moreland could be a good CB. Collins is still young. Maybe Sweat and a young ILB can work out. And obviously Haskins developing would be great. 

I like the young talent on the team. Confident with the young DLs and RBs. Hopefully one or two of the young WRs can work out. Moreland could be a good CB. Collins is still young. Maybe Sweat and a young ILB can work out. And obviously Haskins developing would be great. 
To add to what you said, I'm really hopeful about Wes Martin (LG) this year. We could sure use someone solid there. I like Moreau a lot, and like Dunbar. Christian looks like a flop to me so far but maybe he'll develop.

The 2 young guys I watch above all others are Moreland and Haskins. If they're on the field I'm watching them. I love it when Haskins comes in a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview with Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Matt LaFleur. Some interesting stuff in there.

The time I screwed up the most calling plays, I learned _____ .

Shanahan: The first playcall I made for Rex Grossman when we benched Donovan [McNabb] in Detroit [in 2010]. We were getting frustrated not moving the ball and Rex's first play I called a seven-step drop. We made an aggressive decision and the first play I called is such an aggressive play. I forgot who it was, but the defensive end beat our tackle and stripped him and they got a fumble for a touchdown and it was like, "Holy crap, did that end fast." I should have called a screen to start. I should have been more patient.
Is there anyone here who doesn't remember that play?

THAAROOOOOOSTAAAHHH!!!

Absolutely love when they intro him on the Dukes show. You have to really know the show to get the intro, though, and get Dukes, otherwise it's probably annoying as hell...which is kind of the point.

Who does Chris Russell have pictures of to still be allowed on radio? Maybe he's improved but the last time I heard him he was awful.
Heh, he's another one I could never stand on radio. Opinionated, thin-skinned, and high-strung is a lousy sports radio host combo. I assume he's working cheap now and they couldn't find a local "name" who would work cheaper.

Heh, he's another one I could never stand on radio. Opinionated, thin-skinned, and high-strung is a lousy sports radio host combo. I assume he's working cheap now and they couldn't find a local "name" who would work cheaper.
I felt pretty awful after my initial post because I think Russell is a very nice person. Then I listened to him whine in that link of the audio of him getting pulled over. He might be a nice guy but hes a whiny fool and a moron. Obviously he shouldn't be driving while conducting a work call thats on live air but for Pete's sake, once you saw the cop, tell Chad Dukes that youre getting pulled over and hang the F'n phone up, moron!

I wonder if they're actually going to give 2 roster spots to 2 guys who can't play -- Reed and McCoy.  Reed's on his 7th (known) concussion, McCoy may be in Alex Smith territory as far as ever playing again. 

Released/waived so far (per various sources)

• DL Austin Maloata
  • OL Jerald Foster
  • TE Donald Parham
  • DE Andrew Ankrah
  • TE Matt Flanagan -- designated waived/injured
  • CB Ashton Lampkin
  • OL Hugh Thornton
  • DT Khairi Clark
  • LB Gary Johnson
  • S Jojo McIntosh
  • LB Marquis Flowers
  • LB BJ Blunt
  • G Zach Kerin
  • DL Ryan Bee (will go on practice squad if not claimed)
  • CB Deion Harris CB
  • OL Blake Hance
  • RB Craig Reynolds (will go on practice squad if not claimed)
  • WR Cam Sims (bad idea)
  • S Jeremy Reaves (meaning they kept Apke)
  • OT Timon Parris
  • S Adonis Alexander
  • TE J.P. Holtz (wanted back in practice squad)
  • DL JoJo Wicker
  • RB Samaje Perine
  • WRJosh Doctson
  • WR Brian Quick
According to John Keim they're going to keep 9 OL, and are not yet decided at WR with the Ravens game moving one Sims up and another Sims down.

(adding as things come in)

• Steven Sims told he'll be on roster.
  • Robert Davis told he'll be on roster (hooray)
  • Redskins plan to keep LB Jordan Brailford and like RB Shaun Wilson move him to IR with the potential of returning in season.
  • OT Trent Williams on Reserve/Did Not Report list
  • RB Bryce Love on Active/Non-Football Injury list (doesn't count as roster spot)

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman 9m9 minutes ago

Confirming the #Redskins are releasing DL Ryan Bee, who they will keep on PS if he clears waivers. (@john_keim first).

It'll be just 5 DL, meaning maybe room for 7 WR's. Or 4 TE's. Numbers are gonna be a little weird this year.
So they cut Bee to make room for Reed?

They'll be indecisive at WR and TE and will keep too many of them, to the detriment of other positions. :wall:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

The #Redskins are moving on former former first-round WR Josh Doctson, sources say. They are working hard to trade him, but if they can’t, they’re expected to release him.

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman 3m3 minutes ago

Here's how the #Redskins WR's will likely stack up on gameday: X: McLaurin Z: Richardson Slot: Quinn.  Backups, who will both start on ST: Sims (returner), Davis (gunner/kick coverage) Inactive: Harmon

Reaves should have made the team instead of Apke.

Mark Phillips‏ @RedskinsReview 4m4 minutes ago  Mark Phillips Retweeted Ben Standig

This means Troy Apke is going to be in the picture every time something terrible happens to the #Redskins defense It's the old Matt Stevens role
Mark Phillips‏ @RedskinsReview 3m3 minutes ago

If the #Redskins keep Samaje Perine he officially becomes the Bruce Allen of running backs

53-man roster for now

Offense(26):

QB(3): Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins Jr., Colt McCoy

WR(6): Paul Richardson Jr., Terry McLaurin, Trey Quinn, Robert Davis, Kelvin Harmon, Steven Sims, Jr.

RB(5): Adrian Peterson, Derrius Guice, Chris Thompson, Byron Marshall, Shaun Wilson(expected to be placed on IR to allow him to return later in the season)

TE(3): Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle

OL(9): Donald Penn, Geron Christian Sr., Brandon Scherff, Wes Martin, Morgan Moses, Chase Roullier, Tony Bergstrom, Ross Pierschbacher, Ereck Flowers

Defense(24):

DL(5): Jonathan Allen, DaRon Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle, Caleb Brantley

CB(6): Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, Jimmy Moreland, Greg Stroman, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

S(4): Landon Collins, Deshazor Everett, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke

OLB(5): Ryan Kerrigan, Montez Sweat, Cassanova McKinzy, Ryan Anderson, Jordan Brailford(expected to be placed on IR to allow him to return later in the season)

ILB(4): Jon Bostic, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Cole Holcomb, Shaun Dion Hamilton

Special Teams(3):

K(1): Dustin Hopkins

P(1): Tress Way

LS(1): Nick Sundberg

Roster Cuts(32)

LB Gary Johnson
    DL Austin Maloata
    DL Jojo Wicker
    S JoJo McIntosh
    TE Donald Parham Jr.
    OL Jerald Foster
    TE Matt Flanagan
    DE Andrew Ankrah
    CB Ashton Lampkin
    OL Blake Hance
    OL Hugh Thornton
    CB Deion Harris
    DL Khairi Clark
    OL Zac Kerin
    DL Ryan Bee
    RB Craig Reynolds
    LB Marquis Flowers
    WR Cam Sims
    LB BJ Blunt
    CB Adonis Alexander
    OT Timon Parris
    DL Jonathan Bonner
    S Jeremy Reaves
    WR Josh Doctson
    TE JP Holtz
    RB Samaje Perine
    WR Brian Quick
    OT Corey Robinson
    WR Jehu Chesson
    WR Darvin Kidsy
    QB Jalan McClendon
    OLB Marcus Smith II

The Dolphins got two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick from the Texans for OT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills.

The Redskins retain OT Trent Williams on the reserved/did not report list.  :wall:

The Dolphins got two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick from the Texans for OT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills.

The Redskins retain OT Trent Williams on the reserved/did not report list.  :wall:
That’s just straight up incompetence.  What a wasted opportunity.  Bruce Allen is terrible.

Shaun Wilson on IR. Adonis Alexander on practice squad. Cam Sims on practice squad.

Byron Marshall cut. Wendell Smallwood claimed on waivers.

Josh Doctson was not claimed by anyone on waivers. Samaje Perine claimed by the Bengals.

Jimmy F. Moreland was assigned #32.

The Redskins signed nine players to their practice squad and also placed two players — running back Shaun Wilson and linebacker Jordan Brailford on injured reserve. Both are eligible to return this season. The nine signed were: receiver Cam Sims, tight end J.P. Holtz, defensive end Ryan Bee, corner Adonis Alexander, receiver Jehu Chesson, safety Jeremy Reaves, running back Craig Reynolds, linebacker Darrell Williams and offensive tackle Timon Parris.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41075061-4

The Redskins had a busy day Sunday. They claimed running back Wendell Smallwood off waivers and released running back Byron Marshall. Smallwood is more of a first- and second-down back who has a reputation for hitting the hole hard. He has 850 yards rushing in three years, averaging 4.0 yards per carry. He has averaged 25.8 yards on 13 career kick returns. He'll be the Redskins fourth running back.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41075057-4

Smallwood's a significant improvement over Marshall. I don't know about Smallwood's blocking ability, though. Marshall had gotten better at pass blocking.

Smallwood is fine. Pretty much the literal definition of 'fine'. He's not "good".  But he's not bad either. If you gotta rely on him as a starter that isnt great, but as a 3rd or 4th stringer, he'll do well for ya. Pass blocking is good, he'll take what you can block.

Paul Richardson is the only Redskin WR who has played in an NF game.

Quinn played in preseason games last year, and in 1 this year before he got hurt. McLaurin was briefly in 1 preseason game this year,  had 1 pass thrown to him which he did not catch.  Harmon, Davis, and S. Sims played a lot this preseason.

I assume our starting WR's are Paul Richardson, Terry McLaurin, and Trey Quinn. Don't fret at all about that.

edit to add: When Richardson gets hurt as we know he will, either Harmon, Davis, or Sims will start and they'll call someone up from the practice squad with no NFL experience to put on the roster. 

Or sign an unsigned veteran.

Smallwood is fine. Pretty much the literal definition of 'fine'. He's not "good".  But he's not bad either. If you gotta rely on him as a starter that isnt great, but as a 3rd or 4th stringer, he'll do well for ya. Pass blocking is good, he'll take what you can block.
The pass blocking is a must given the state of the O-line, so that part's good. And he's replacing a guy who had yet to achieve the "fine but not good" status so that's a plus.

Paul Richardson is the only Redskin WR who has played in an NF game.

Quinn played in preseason games last year, and in 1 this year before he got hurt.
Quinn played in three regular season games last year. But, point still taken that this group has very little experience. Richardson has 115 career receptions. Quinn has 9. That's it for the WRs. 124 career receptions. Combine all 6 of their careers together and you have the 6th most receptions in a season by a single player.

ETA: That's got to be a record low for number of career receptions by a group of WRs entering a season.

Getting the band back together:

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Former Washington first-round pick Josh Doctson reached agreement with the Minnesota Vikings, per league source.
edit: This is after the Vikings cut Laquon Treadwell, the next pick after Doctson in the first round of the 2016 draft.

The Redskins added a sixth defensive lineman, signing Treyvon Hester, who was cut by Philadelphia this weekend. Hester is considered an athletic but raw lineman. He's the sort of project line coach Jim Tomsula has worked well with in the past. Barring injuries to others, Hester would be inactive.
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41075122-4

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed is not on the practice field. Still in the concussion protocol. LB Casanova McKinzy is on the field. QB Colt McCoy not out here either.
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1168551404308504577

Corner Fabian Moreau (ankle) also not practicing today.
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1168553650215673858

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 4h4 hours ago

Gruden said Jordan Reed remains in the concussion protocol. Doesn’t yet know about his availability for Sunday (expresses confidence last week). Also uncertain about Fabian Moreau (ankle).
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 4h4 hours ago

LB Cassanova McKinzy said he’ll be fine for Sunday’s game at Philadelphia. “I’ll be ready to go,” McKinzy said. Had a concussion in the last preseason game. Was on the field today.
LB Chris Odom added to practice squad.

I realize it'll depend on how each game flows, but for now Guice is the lead back. Wish I had known that for my league draft last night.

Redskins running back Derrius Guice will have the offense "go through him", coach Jay Gruden said Monday. That means veteran Adrian Peterson will open in a backup role, with Chris Thompson as the third-down back. The biggest question regarding this situation has been Guice's health. He's coming off a torn ACL suffered in August, but looked good enough in his one game this preseason -- 44 yards on 11 carries vs. Atlanta -- that Washington feels confident in him. More importantly, they need him to trust his left knee again. Washington also just added Wendell Smallwood this weekend; his ability to help on special teams could keep him active.
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41075149-4

Any Redskin homers projecting a "decent-ish" role for Paul Richardson? 

I am looking for some depth in one particular league, and here is a rare case of a starting WR1 still available on most waiver wires.

Most everyone says the Skins have almost no defense, so they should be playing catch up a fair amount.  Someone has to catch the ball right?

I'm thinking Paul Richardson might be startable here and there in a WR3 kind of way.  I'm certainly not expecting any massive fantasy season, and the guy seems to be injured constantly.  (Not only that, but its looking like Jordan Reed may miss week one as well)

Any insight anyone?   

TZM

Any Redskin homers projecting a "decent-ish" role for Paul Richardson? 

I am looking for some depth in one particular league, and here is a rare case of a starting WR1 still available on most waiver wires.

Most everyone says the Skins have almost no defense, so they should be playing catch up a fair amount.  Someone has to catch the ball right?

I'm thinking Paul Richardson might be startable here and there in a WR3 kind of way.  I'm certainly not expecting any massive fantasy season, and the guy seems to be injured constantly.  (Not only that, but its looking like Jordan Reed may miss week one as well)

Any insight anyone?   

TZM
I think you meant that everyone is saying they have almost no offense.  The defense should be ok.  Nevertheless Trey Quinn is my guess at the top wr.  But it’s anyones guess. Hell Chris Thompson could lead the team in catches.   :shrug:

I think you meant that everyone is saying they have almost no offense.  The defense should be ok.  Nevertheless Trey Quinn is my guess at the top wr.  But it’s anyones guess. Hell Chris Thompson could lead the team in catches.   :shrug:
Truth be known, I know a TON of Redskin homers here locally.  They always talk about how the defense is terrible. (and I must admit I probably haven't had nearly any Skin player in years, except Jordan Reed here and there....... Did own some Alfred Morris years ago though)

Anyway, I never would have said they have "no offense" , Guice and Peterson alone should be fine RBs. Thompson has always been a great back too, from what I've seen.

I knew of Richardson from a few brief flashes in Seattle, but I know very little of Quinn.  The one that may fool us all is Jordan Reed.

Now if he can only stay healthy............ :(

TZM

Truth be known, I know a TON of Redskin homers here locally.  They always talk about how the defense is terrible. (and I must admit I probably haven't had nearly any Skin player in years, except Jordan Reed here and there....... Did own some Alfred Morris years ago though)

Anyway, I never would have said they have "no offense" , Guice and Peterson alone should be fine RBs. Thompson has always been a great back too, from what I've seen.

I knew of Richardson from a few brief flashes in Seattle, but I know very little of Quinn.  The one that may fool us all is Jordan Reed.

Now if he can only stay healthy............ :(

TZM
The offense is going to be atrocious.  Not having Trent Williams alone will impact the  offense significantly especially in run blocking.  You got guice coming back from injury and i don’t think he’s ready to carry a full work load despite the one recent report.  You have a super inexperienced wr core.  You have a new qb that doesnt know grudens system.  Reed is already concussed.  Yea tread very carefully.  The only hope is that the defense is good enough to keep them in games.  Which they may be.

It's a crapshoot guessing which Redskin to start, if any. If Richardson catches a bomb and scores then he'd be fine, but the chances of that happening any given week are low. He won't be a volume receiver, and he'll get hurt. Quinn may catch the most passes per game but he'll get hurt also. Reed is already in the concussion protocol, and with as many concussions as he's had there are times it has taken him a long time to be ready to play again. If you want to take a chance on a Redskin in week one try Vernon Davis. He's usually open mid-range to deep at least 3 times a game, catches the ball, and even though he's 97 years old he plays every week.

I think Guice is going to do better than most realize. I mean there are very productive players in FF who have played on crappy teams. He's about all they have right now. (I do think Quinn will do very well as long as he's healthy, which is the million dollar question I realize) But the fact that they will use him on 3rd down especially helps his value in PPR leagues. 

Users who are viewing this thread