Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins Thread - Offseason starts now - Next group of fresh meat on the way

5 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I was close.  10 carries.  But at least he got a td.  Did you start him?

Nah chickened out. Wish I did though. Played Mack instead. Should've stuck with Keryon. 

1 minute ago, Insein said:

Nah chickened out. Wish I did though. Played Mack instead. Should've stuck with Keryon. 

Yea i benched kerryon too.  :shrug: 

2 hours ago, dgreen said:

Can we just make this the Terry McLaurin thread so it’s not so depressing?

I've taken up quilting on Sundays now.

*** 2019 Official Terry McLaurin and Quiltng Thread ***

Edited by fatness

Biggest takeaway: The pressure will start to mount on defensive coordinator Greg Manusky. The Redskins nearly fired him after last season and, through two games, his group has allowed a combined 63 points and 911 yards.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41076939-4

The guy shouldn't even be here any more. But they brought him back and he's had a big hand in 2 losses. It's way past time for Manusky to be gone.

The Redskins are 0-2 after the 31-21 loss to Dallas because they have a defense that keeps giving up big plays --an issue that was supposed to have been fixed - and an offense that can't run the ball. Before the season the two areas many thought they would be OK: defense and running the ball. They're not.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41076902-4

From Al Galdi on Twitter:

“Jay’s comments to Pam Oliver that AP’s running style “limits the offense & gives the defense way too many opportunities” are far more of an insult & much worse than the I-formation comment. Jay has never talked like this publicly about a #Redskins player other than RG3 in 2014.”

Woah, Jay being a complete dick.  Is he trying to lose the locker room?  What could possibly be his motivation for saying this?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dgreen said:

And many in the media - radio, at least - will defend coaches by saying its all about player execution. I’m always baffled by those who downplay the importance of coaching. 

980 radio talkers routinely defend "the team" which to them means "front office and anyone they're currently backing". It's not a reasoned stance;  it's based on the personality of the talkers. 980 isn't owned by the Redskins any more but the sucking up to the front ofice continues. Sheehan is the worst and Galdi is bad as well in that regard --- their personalities do not abide bucking the front office. Witness the Trent Williams bashing that has gone on (by Sheehan for years, and by Galdi this year). They're just sycophants with no balls.  In the offseason they'll criticize the front office, but once the season begins everything is the players' fault to them.

Burgundy Blog‏Verified account @BurgundyBlog

If you don't think 0-2 is a legit, fire-a-coordinator emergency, you're too chill. Likelihood of making playoffs after starting 0-3 (since 1980) is 2.8%.

I’d like Haskins to sit and not be rushed into play. But, with QB injuries around the league, I wonder if anyone wants to trade for Case. Is Colt almost ready to come back. Yeah, I know he’d only last a quarter, but we need him so we can make a trade. 

28 minutes ago, dgreen said:

I’d like Haskins to sit and not be rushed into play. But, with QB injuries around the league, I wonder if anyone wants to trade for Case. Is Colt almost ready to come back. Yeah, I know he’d only last a quarter, but we need him so we can make a trade. 

I think i heard mccoy was out there warming up yesterday.  so he might be close.  Im in the same camp of let Haskins sit.  But if a big offer for case came in i might be swayed. 

14 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I think i heard mccoy was out there warming up yesterday.  so he might be close.  Im in the same camp of let Haskins sit.  But if a big offer for case came in i might be swayed. 

Or any offer at all.  He has value to legit NFL teams.  The Redskins are not one, this season.

Going into the season, I thought the Redskins are a 6-10 team.  The only real surprise to me is that the passing game sometimes looks ok, especially with McLaurin.  The defense has been worse than expected, with all the miscommunication.

So, maybe I was optimistic, and they are more like a 5-11 team.  That's not a big difference.  Gruden cannot hire a decent defensive coordinator because no one will take the job, fearing Gruden will be gone next year.

The Redskins should ride out this season with no drastic changes.  And then we will see if they make any changes this off season.  If not, rinse and repeat.  

15 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

So, maybe I was optimistic, and they are more like a 5-11 team.

Giants (x2), Miami, Jets and Panthers?

1 hour ago, dgreen said:

The Redskins are closer to organizations like the Lions, Browns, and Bengals than we usually like to admit. We are a bottom 5 franchise.

Yeah, I think that's where we are now -- bottom 5 or 6.

I don't think Gruden has enough pull with the players to rally them any more. With the way the front office is treating Trent, the way Gruden keeps being negative about Peterson, other players know there's no loyalty to the team's most respected players and they assume that other players will be treated the same or worse. Gruden's loyal to the front office and to his coaching staff only. Things between HC and players could fracture quite badly soon.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, Brunell4MVP said:

And the head coach costs the team yet another one.  Likable guy.  Not a good HC.

His issue is very simple ... his judgment is clouded by his stubbornness.  So if it's workin, why change anything.  If it's not working, the team just has to execute better. 

This has led to recent personnel decisions like keeping Colt McCoy at all, keeping Perrine for too long, keeping Doctson for too long, and benching AP this week.  It has led to him having defensive coordinators that can't take his job rather than those that are good.  He continues to believe in the pass, and his run plays are horrendous.  They are readable by the defense.  His teams have forever been penalized more than most teams.

For every team, the drops and bad throws happens.  Missed blocks and missed coverages happen.  Good coaches overcome it with having more in their play book arsenal.  You telling me Andy Reid and Bill Bellichek wouldn't win with this team?  They would.  They would figure out what works and get it done, rather than worrying about the stats their system produces.

Some of this stubbornness comes from above, particularly Bruce Allen.  And filters down.  But with Gruden you can see it in his brother too.

I like the guy.  I'd want to play golf with him and hang at a bar with him.  As far as a coach.  He's several steps behind with his playbook and his judgment.

And we will all continue to say it again, and again, and again.  Look the owner can't be replaced.  And I'll never be a true rabid fan again until Allen is fired, which may be a long, long time.  I've met the guy several times and played golf with him at charity stuff.  He's a pompous ### and he's left his coaches out to dry again and again.  He's all about the politics, which means keeping his job. When there is something to answer for, he's in hiding.  When he thinks he did something good, he pops his fat head up.  But he seems to be Snyder's security blanket.

But Gruden and Manusky are fireable.  I think Gruden makes it the year because they are already paying him.  Maybe if they don't win any games he'd be gone but I think they'll find a way to win one of the next two. 

I think Manusky will be lucky to make it to the bye week.  Gruden needs a fall guy.  Although calling Manusky that is wrong, because he's terrible.  Swearinger was right last year.

But if the players have changed over the past 6 years, and changed quite a bit, there is only one thing in common and that's Gruden.  His offense is lackluster.  He can't get a good DC.  He can't motivate.  He can't lead.  He can't win the big game.  He's exactly what he's always been, a 6 to 8 win per season coach.

Bruce has probably already seen that the way, once again, to save his own job is to ditch Jay, and try to convince a decent coach to walk into this mess.  He'll do the usual speech of the coach having autonomy, by which Allen really means to say when you do bad, it's your fault.  When you do good, it's all because I made the right decisions.  Love having a stand-up guy as the GM! 

But Jay's gonna take the fall, and he should cause he's had plenty of chances.  It's just a matter of when it all comes to fruition.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

This is kind of brutal, but it's hard to argue with.

Two division rivals, who barely noticed the Redskins were on their schedule, woke up when they got behind, grabbed the Redskins by the throat, smacked them around, outcoached them by miles at halftime and named the score.

This team knew it wasn’t built to play from behind. Now we see it can’t play from ahead. This team knew it wasn’t built to win if it lost the turnover battle. Now it hasn’t committed a single turnover in its first two games and is winless. Washington even got an interception against Dallas. What happens to this team when it has an NFL-normal number of turnovers? What happens when it gets behind early?

15 hours ago, fatness said:

Yeah, I think that's where we are now -- bottom 5 or 6.

I don't think Gruden has enough pull with the players to rally them any more. With the way the front office is treating Trent, the way Gruden keeps being negative about Peterson, other players know there's no loyalty to the team's most respected players and they assume that other players will be treated the same or worse. Gruden's loyal to the front office and to his coaching staff only. Things between HC and players could fracture quite badly soon.

The Peterson situation is showing a division between Gruden and the front office.  If you think about it, Peterson really isn't a good fit for Gruden's offense.  Whether you think that is legit or a short coming of Gruden to not be able to work with Peterson's strengths are up for debate.  But Peterson does not fit what Gruden wants to do.

But Peterson was given a two year contract for coming and salvaging the Redskin's running game last year despite the fact that he does not fit the offense well.

6 hours ago, Marvelous said:

The Peterson situation is showing a division between Gruden and the front office.  If you think about it, Peterson really isn't a good fit for Gruden's offense.  Whether you think that is legit or a short coming of Gruden to not be able to work with Peterson's strengths are up for debate.  But Peterson does not fit what Gruden wants to do.

But Peterson was given a two year contract for coming and salvaging the Redskin's running game last year despite the fact that he does not fit the offense well.

I'll preface this by saying I see no good excuse for the way Gruden talks negatively about his players in public and to the media. But, based off admittedly a small number of touches, I didn't think Peterson looked good Sunday. And I don't mean that from a "fitting in" standpoint. I thought he looked slower than he did last year and he went down easier than he used to. Prior to his TD, he caught a pass and was heading to the endzone which I thought was a sure TD. But, he failed to force his way in against defenders despite having a little head of steam prior to contact. Then on the next play, he slowly tip-toed up to the line and showed no power to get in. Maybe he was being patient looking for a whole, but I think the old AP just puts his head down and trucks some guys. The next play he gets in. On another play, he bounced a run outside and I assumed he was going to get around the CB and pick up 10+ yards. The corner beat him to the outside and forced him o/b after maybe a 4-5 yard gain.

I was hoping - and posted last week - that Peterson could look good and the Redskins could trade him to a contender. Not sure that's the case unless he looks a lot better in the next few weeks. He might actually be done. Yeah, a "done" AP is better than other "done" RBs, but maybe Gruden was right about the guy. The fact still remains, though, that they don't have anyone else, so he might still be the best available.

Edited by dgreen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dgreen said:

On another play, he bounced a run outside and I assumed he was going to get around the CB and pick up 10+ yards. The corner beat him to the outside and forced him o/b after maybe a 4-5 yard gain.

I think I remember that play. My impression was that he hesitated, as though he might cut back inside, but didn't cut before the CB made contact. He looked either slow or rusty. What I think we're forgetting is that there were a lot of plays last year that went nowhere where he looked slow as well. Some games he never got started. Other games he got enough carries early and hit his stride. Remains to be seen what he'll be this year. The sad thing is that we may never see enough rushes in a game for him (or anyone) to get started this year.

• Like 1

Cnagratulations are in order for Brandon Scherff who tied Morgan Moses for the team league in holding penalties with 2.  :wall:

Edited by fatness
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, fatness said:

Cnagratulations are in order for Brandon Scherff who tied Morgan Moses for the team league in holding penalties with 2.  :wall:

Not laughing at you or the team; the delivery was funny.

Just now, rockaction said:

Not laughing at you or the team; the delivery was funny.

Feel free to laugh at the team. We're familiar with that to keep from crying. 

It looks like they'll sign OLB Noah Spence. That means someone gets cut, probably DL or CB. But with 2 CB's hurt (Dunbar and Moreau, neither of whom will be cut) I'm not sure what they'll do.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/report-redskins-sign-edge-rusher-noah-spence-after-slow-start-front

current roster: https://www.redskins.com/team/players-roster/

1 hour ago, fatness said:

Interesting. Our first 15 plays are usually great. No explanation offered as to why the plays then begin to suck. Gruden's better at playcalling when he's not in a game.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Eric/status/1174074875583053826

I guess Gruden is horrible adjusting to the flow of the game.  That's also why we are so terrible in the second half.  It's one thing to script up great plays before hand.  Another thing to have to think on your feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatness said:

Skins terninated contract of TE Donald Parham and signed TE Drew Belcher *burp*

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1174089389305204738

Damn.  I liked Partham too.  Thought he was worth developing.  Belcher may be technically better right now but Partham has the ceiling at 6 foot 8 to be an absolute beast.  Wanted them to shoot high on one of these developmental deals...

16 hours ago, fatness said:

Moses is still clearly the all time champ.  Lead the league in penalties last year....Scherff is gonna have to up his game if we wants to keep up with Morgan...

4 hours ago, MikeApf said:

Moses is still clearly the all time champ.  Lead the league in penalties last year....Scherff is gonna have to up his game if we wants to keep up with Morgan...

And they're supposedly the strongest side of our offensive line.

On 1/11/2016 at 11:02 AM, dgreen said:

Was 2015 another blip on the radar of the last 23 years or the start of being consistently competitive for multiple seasons?

I think we know now.

• Like 2

We led the league in injuries the last 2 years. After 1 week this year we were in the lead again. We may continued to lead, with Rogers-Cromartie on IR and now this.

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Redskins OLB Casanova McKinzy had an MRI on his hip, per source. No word on results yet. Big part of the reason the team signed Noah Spence.

I don't believe in 3 straight years of just plain bad luck. There's something going wrong on a regular basis with the physical/medical/conditioning/evaluating/diagnosing of Redskin players.

Edited by fatness

Of the Redskins' top six players in terms of salary-cap space, three haven't been on the field this season.

Quarterback Alex Smith, left tackle Trent Williams and tight end Jordan Reed haven't played. Smith might not play again; Williams remains a holdout and Reed missed two games with a concussion. That's $43.072 million in cap space.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39014/money-for-nothing-redskins-not-getting-much-from-key-investments

Smith will probably never play again. Trent will probably never play for the Redskins again, or at most will put in 2 half-seasons so it tolls a year on his contract for each season. Reed should retire for his own good, but he's going to take whatever time it takes to recover and then go out and play until he's hurt again.

There's a lot of salary money tied up in the previous paragraph.

the Redskins now have 10 players this year on injured reserve. It's Week 3.

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Paras/status/1174390563422048257

Edited by fatness

8 hours ago, fatness said:

I don't believe in 3 straight years of just plain bad luck. There's something going wrong on a regular basis with the physical/medical/conditioning/evaluating/diagnosing of Redskin players.

I've been saying this for years but it never garnered much attention amongst skin's fans.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking this way.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 5h5 hours ago

Those who did not practice today: Jordan Reed, Allen, Colt McCoy and Cassanova McKinzy. Limited: Morgan Moses (knee) and Fabian Moreau.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 5h5 hours ago

Gruden said they felt it was better for Jonathan Allen to have another day of rest. He said there was no setback. “We wanted him to stay in today and see how he feels,” Gruden said.

23 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I've been saying this for years but it never garnered much attention amongst skin's fans.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking this way.

There is probably a big issue with the Redskins medical staff.  But the numbers will be inflated because they have Jordan Reed and in the past, Shawn Lauvao on the team.