What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

The problem is the TV money is the steak. The gate receipts are just gravy for the owners.
Yes, but it's gravy that Snyder badly wants. LaFemiano (sp?) was fired for not selling tickets to fans of opponents which resulted in empty seats. Snyder wanted that ticket money, and now opponents buy up what would be empty seats. I don't know any way to prevent that from happening --- if no Redskin fans came then opponents would still buy the tickets.

Yes, but it's gravy that Snyder badly wants. LaFemiano (sp?) was fired for not selling tickets to fans of opponents which resulted in empty seats. Snyder wanted that ticket money, and now opponents buy up what would be empty seats. I don't know any way to prevent that from happening --- if no Redskin fans came then opponents would still buy the tickets.
Snyder doesn't really care who buys the tickets when they are this bad.  If the team was good it would be a problem.  But when they are bad he just wants butts in the seats to get the extra $s.  Most of their $s comes from TV revenue share.  But as far as picking up a few bucks for parking fees, beers, hot dogs, ticket revenue ... Snyder doesn't care who is doing it.

Man I miss the days where I would bring our own cooler into RFK with sandwiches and drinks in it.  Had to buy beer from the stadium.  But everything else could be brought in.  And we parked for free just around the corner from the stadium on a side street.  My Dad listened to Sonny and Sam on his radio.  And the people around us were true fans and you knew each of them by name from seeing them over several years.  Those days are gone forever in all locations and all sports.  But it certainly made the experience a lot more enjoyable and affordable for a family of four.  Uggh.  I guess Im getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if, motivated by keeping the NFC East the best Division in NFL, the Owners of Cowboys, Giants and Eagles spearheaded a move by hook or by crook, to have Snyder removed. As in, "the NFC East is too good for this garbage, and deserves better." Mismanagement of this magnitude shouldn't be tolerated. It's been a constant downward spiral that's harmed everything and everyone coming in contact with it for 2 decades now!For Christ's sake!

LaVar Arrington chimes in.
This isn't the first time I've heard this. I've also heard that at meetings no one is allowed to address him directly --- they have to address his assistant who repeats it quietly to him, and relays his answer.

"The root of the issue is ownership… You had to address him as Mr. Snyder, even as an adult, and if you weren’t of a certain level or stature you were told not to look at the owner."
I'd love to see him wake up one morning alone with no cellphone and no money inside a Walmart on Black Friday 10 minutes after the doors opened.

I would value Lavar opinion more if he was such a kiss ### to Richie Rich during his radio days.  Also apparently he had more then his share of say when he was a player.   

That doesn't mean what is says is wrong but still it is funny all these people say this when the cow has no milk left

It would be great if, motivated by keeping the NFC East the best Division in NFL, the Owners of Cowboys, Giants and Eagles spearheaded a move by hook or by crook, to have Snyder removed. As in, "the NFC East is too good for this garbage, and deserves better." Mismanagement of this magnitude shouldn't be tolerated. It's been a constant downward spiral that's harmed everything and everyone coming in contact with it for 2 decades now!For Christ's sake!
The NFLPA should do this, citing player health concerns.   

This isn't the first time I've heard this. I've also heard that at meetings no one is allowed to address him directly --- they have to address his assistant who repeats it quietly to him, and relays his answer.

I'd love to see him wake up one morning alone with no cellphone and no money inside a Walmart on Black Friday 10 minutes after the doors opened.
I'd love to see him wake up one morning in a Turkish prison, locked in a footlocker with The Gimp, but that's just me...

I love the SVP rant.  It's perfect.

I'm NOT happy with the reporters at the Allen press conference.  They were very, very weak.  Like scared of the consequences of their questions.  The press should have immediately turned it into questions to Bruce about Bruce.  We the fans don't a #### that Jay is gone, that Callahan is the HC, that the stadium is empty, if Dan speaks, or if Haskins starts.   100% of the fan base cares about it why Bruce still has his job.  The questions should have been directed to him about that - his terrible record, about the fans disliking him, about his poor choices the past 8 years, about how he left Gruden out to dry with the media the last couple of seasons, about how the operations side is a revolving door.  He would deflect them.  But if there is one thing Snyder might potentially be watching it would be Allen's press conference.  I think that was the only way to get the message to behind the iron curtain and let Snyder know how much the fans hate Bruce.  Dan isn't listening to 980 or 106.7, he isn't on a message board, he isn't hitting play on the SVP rant.  I think he's behind the curtain completely oblivious to anything fans and even the media thinks.  Heck, the best thing that could have happened at that press conference was no reporters show up.  Bruce talking to an empty room.  That would have been perfect.

So do you guys expect any difference in the running game? I'm forced to start peterson and just looking for a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel to give me some hope.

So do you guys expect any difference in the running game? I'm forced to start peterson and just looking for a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel to give me some hope.
If we take Callahan at his word (and I don't have a great reason not to, at this point), the team is going to run more than they have been.  I'd personally expect Peterson to be the beneficiary of any added touches.

Well, they play Miami this week so there should be at least one week of some hope.

Lots of tweets from beat reporters noting all the differences in Callahan's first practice and the way Gruden's practices ran.  Two things that stood out to me were the following:

Refs at practice is a new thing?!

michael phillips

@michaelpRTD

Two college refs out here helping during practice. First time I’ve seen that during the season. Penalties obviously an issue for the Skins.
"Developmental" time

michael phillips

@michaelpRTD

After the end of today’s Redskins practice, interim coach Bill Callahan put 10 minutes on the clock as a “developmental period” for each position group to use to work with the backup/younger players.
The second seems like a pretty cool idea.  I'm surprised at the first.  I can't think of any good reason to not have real refs at practices.  If you would have asked me prior to today, I would have guessed it was SOP for just about every NFL team.

There was a report earlier today that Keenum would be starting this week, but Callahan said he won't make a decision until Friday on the starter.  All 3 QBs got equal first team reps today.

If we take Callahan at his word (and I don't have a great reason not to, at this point), the team is going to run more than they have been.  I'd personally expect Peterson to be the beneficiary of any added touches.
Keep in mind they could actually run on a higher % of plays, but if there are fewer plays overall it's a bigger piece of a smaller pie. If the team with the lead is running to wind the clock down, and the Redskins are running the ball even though they are behind..... there could be some very fast games without as many plays. The reputation on Callahan was he's a better positional coach than he was a HC, and the OL wasn't exactly spectacular when he was focusing on nothing but coaching the OL.

I want to see if the running schemes change.   If they do I think AP will benefit.

Portis and Cooley constantly said Gruden's run game was "power", and that wouldn't work in the NFL.  Too easy to defend.  Portis in particular said it needed to be zone and/or counter to get the best out of AP and Thompson so they are running behind the tackles rather than between the C/G. 

So I guess I'll be looking if Callahan calls more run plays that put the RB on the edges, and to see if Portis/Cooley are right about this.

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Today marks the first day of Bill Callahan installing game plan and running practice. Source inside Redskins Park says he’s “laying the law down.” Lots of talk about accountability.

6:55 AM - 9 Oct 2019
also

“Guys are busting their butts,” Peterson said. “They’re working hard. This has been the best week of practice since I’ve been here.”
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/oct/10/adrian-peterson-best-week-practice-ive-been-redski/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/oct/10/adrian-peterson-best-week-practice-ive-been-redski/

Callahan, though, dismissed yards per attempt when speaking to reporters and said he’s focused on two things: Rushing attempts and pass completions.

“That’s one of the league statistics that we all look at is rush attempts and a lot of times, your rush attempts and completions if you have more than an opponent, really you’re in good shape to win the football game,” Callahan said. “It’s a very high percentage — I think it’s over 80 percent. … “It’s not always perfect; it’s not always right. It’s just an identity that I believe in.”
Interesting. Rushing attempts and pass completions.

Callahan said he just told Manuksy to get to the quarterback more and get off the field on third downs. That’s pretty obvious. Callahan also explained he wasn’t going to fire Manusky because he wanted to be patient and view things on his own as head coach. Soooooo, I’m not sure what has changed. I do know if the defense keeps playing how they did the first three games, and the new coaching culture demands accountability, then defensive coaches will need to either bench players that blow assignments or take responsibility for major mistakes.
Things are more physical for sure with Callahan, and certainly more old school. This is the perfect week for the switch because the Redskins should absolutely beat a terrible Dolphins team. Assuming that happens, then players might buy into Callahan’s routine. But there is some misinformation being spread that the team didn’t work hard with Gruden. They did. I’m most curious about Callahan’s practice regiment next week and for a few weeks down the road. 
Last we heard of Reed came when I asked Gruden if there was any plan to move the tight end to the injured reserve. Gruden looked at me like I was crazy before saying no. I contend the Redskins absolutely should put Reed on the IR. There is no timeline in sight for his return from his seventh concussion, and if he is able to come back, should he? It won’t be this week, for sure, so why even bring him back in Week 7 of a lost season? And that’s the best case scenario. 
J P Finlay

in his first press conference, Callahan laid out his approach to developing Haskins — telling reporters the 22-year-old will get first-team reps in practice over the rest of the regular season.

“It might be a little bit of a shift in philosophy as we move forward,” Callahan said. “So he will be able to take repetitions at some point, whether it’s at the beginning, the end, the middle, but we’re really cognizant of trying to rep him up during the course of the practice so that he is prepared and that he does obviously get exposure to game-type repetitions that can get him potentially to a starting position here in the future or next year, whatever it may be.”

Under Gruden, Haskins did not receive first-team reps in practice once the regular season started until Case Keenum hurt his foot in a Week 3 loss to the Chicago Bears.
Callahan said the Redskins must get Haskins‘ “confidence level up” and make him comfortable by finding a package of plays that he can go out and execute. “That’s the focus right now,” Callahan said.
Matthew Paras

Callahan said the Redskins must get Haskins‘ “confidence level up” and make him comfortable by finding a package of plays that he can go out and execute. “That’s the focus right now,” Callahan said.

in his first press conference, Callahan laid out his approach to developing Haskins — telling reporters the 22-year-old will get first-team reps in practice over the rest of the regular season.

“It might be a little bit of a shift in philosophy as we move forward,” Callahan said. “So he will be able to take repetitions at some point, whether it’s at the beginning, the end, the middle, but we’re really cognizant of trying to rep him up during the course of the practice so that he is prepared and that he does obviously get exposure to game-type repetitions that can get him potentially to a starting position here in the future or next year, whatever it may be.”

Under Gruden, Haskins did not receive first-team reps in practice once the regular season started until Case Keenum hurt his foot in a Week 3 loss to the Chicago Bears.

Should have been doing this the entire time!

Keep in mind they could actually run on a higher % of plays, but if there are fewer plays overall it's a bigger piece of a smaller pie. If the team with the lead is running to wind the clock down, and the Redskins are running the ball even though they are behind..... there could be some very fast games without as many plays. The reputation on Callahan was he's a better positional coach than he was a HC, and the OL wasn't exactly spectacular when he was focusing on nothing but coaching the OL.
Prior to this year, I thought Callahan was doing a good job with the OL.  There have been many injuries, and the OL was still functional.

This year, the OL has been bad.  But every aspect of the team has been bad, except maybe Tress Way's punting.  

So Manusky wasn't trying to get to the QB and getting off the field on 3rd down before? Was Jay telling him to make the opposing QB comfortable and leave the D out on the field longer? Tongue in cheek... But that's a ridiculous statement reported there. 

Prior to this year, I thought Callahan was doing a good job with the OL.  There have been many injuries, and the OL was still functional.

This year, the OL has been bad.  But every aspect of the team has been bad, except maybe Tress Way's punting.  
I think it's hard to get a true gauge on a dink-and-dunk offense employed by Gruden. Maybe they didn't go downfield because of the QB's, or the receivers, or just the offense wasn't designed to do it. It just "feels"(anecdotal I know) that on any 3rd-and-9 you could expect a six yard pass. Peterson had an amazing year last year but I'm not sure how much of that is Peterson/OL and how much of it was beating up on bad opponents and Gruden running up the middle on 1st and 10 seemingly every new set of downs. 

Here's to an embarrassing loss at the hands of the tanking Dolphins today, folks. Plane flew overhead with a Fire Bruce Allen banner...in Miami! We need more of that. But mostly we need 0-16 to force Snyder's hand. 

Nice thread title.  "Treadmill to mediocrity" might be generous though.  This franchise is continuing to fall behind other organizations, is purging fans at a rapid pace, and is becoming a joke in the media.  That's going in reverse.

Here's to an embarrassing loss at the hands of the tanking Dolphins today, folks. Plane flew overhead with a Fire Bruce Allen banner...in Miami! We need more of that. But mostly we need 0-16 to force Snyder's hand. 
God i love this!!!!  We definitely need more of this.  at every game.  night game?  fire bruce fireworks! 

And people still think Josh Norman is worth a ####.   BUT HE JUMPED A BULL  🙄

Speaking of BS the media in this area trying to spin this as a big win.   Take a shot for all of the "turned the corner" comments 

Wow, those were 2 bad teams. On the bright side, there were fewer penalties today, the team looked quicker to line up, they ran a lot to keep down the score, and the first half defense was good. Why the hell Manusky went to his usual prevent defense in the second half is beyond me. He should be fired for that alone.

At his best Keenum is mediocre. Today he wasn't at his best. Haskins really should be starting and learning his way through games.

Edit: Where was Kerrigan today? I seldom saw him on the field. Stats say he had 1 tackle.

This McLaurin kid might be good.

Wow.  I thought the Dolphins looked really bad and the Redskins are able to eke out a 1 point win.  The 2 point conversion at the end is pretty representative play for the Dolphins.  The wr drops the pass, so the play has no chance of working.  

Fake news(?) reports that skins might be interested in trading for Tomlin. No real source of info so gonna take it as nothing. But man that would be stupid. 

Beating winless Miami by one point won't lead to a Redskins turnaround, though it's hard to imagine the feeling had the Dolphins converted the two-point conversion. The Redskins need better play from quarterback Case Keenum; they need the defense to provide a consistent pass rush -- not just against a second-year QB who holds the ball too long (Josh Rosen). They helped themselves with the run game
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41080717-4

Dunbar was good again today. He's the Skins' best defensive back. Moreau got called for yet another penalty. He's a good CB but is too grabby and gets called for too many penalties.  Kerrigan was invisible and Ryan Anderson was on the field a lot (and had an overwhelming sack accompanied by a roughing the passer pentalty). They ran Peterson enough that he broke some, mostly because the O-line played at the line of scrimmage or beyond it instead of in their own backfield.

There's still not enough pressure from the D-line, and I don't think there will be this year contrary to what was advertised. The O-line is below average, and the passing game is just plain bad except for McLaurin. And Callahan has been no improvement at all in using the last 2 minutes of a half when on offense.

The 49ers are going to kill them next week.

Fake news(?) reports that skins might be interested in trading for Tomlin. No real source of info so gonna take it as nothing. But man that would be stupid. 
I think that's fake news, too. But Tomlin is better than any HC Snyder has hired with the possible exception of Schottenheimer (who has 0 Super Bowl wins while Tomlin has 1): Steve Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs' Second Time Around, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan's Last Time Around, Jay Gruden.

I think that's fake news, too. But Tomlin is better than any HC Snyder has hired with the possible exception of Schottenheimer (who has 0 Super Bowl wins while Tomlin has 1): Steve Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs' Second Time Around, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan's Last Time Around, Jay Gruden.
I seriously doubt they could convince Tomlin to coach the Redskins.  I am seriously picturing another hiring process similar to what led to Zorn's hiring, with multiple people having interviews and then subsequently pulling out of consideration.

One more thought:  it is probably the Zorn debacle that led to Vinny Cerrato's departure.  I think Snyder finally realized he could not hire a competant head coach with Cerrato there.

I seriously doubt they could convince Tomlin to coach the Redskins.  I am seriously picturing another hiring process similar to what led to Zorn's hiring, with multiple people having interviews and then subsequently pulling out of consideration.

One more thought:  it is probably the Zorn debacle that led to Vinny Cerrato's departure.  I think Snyder finally realized he could not hire a competant head coach with Cerrato there.
i mean i did hear that Tomlin and Danny boy are friends and their kids go to the same school or something like that.  :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread