What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

I actually thought the Redskins were playing better in the first half.  Defense was getting pressure on Cousins for most of the game.  Of course, it did not prevent Cousins for having a really good game.  Of course, the Vikings had numerous holding penalties that killed their drives.  If they could reduce those, this game would have been a blowout.

The offense went into the tank once Haskins came in.  I still believe he is just not ready yet.

It is quite telling the Colt McCoy is inactive and even with Keenum's concussion, is not in the discussion for starting.  McCoy's role is much different under Callahan.

I actually don't believe the Redskins talent level is that bad.  But in a quarterback-centric league, it is really hard to compete with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and rookie Dwayne Haskins.

Yea McCoy is a gruden a guy.  Minus him there is no need.  At this point I’d let Haskins start and get full reps in practice.  Get a nice gauge where he is and what he needs to work on in the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haskins has looked so lost they better let him start now and make sure he is the future. They are going to have an early pick and I’d want to know for sure he’s the guy before passing over a QB next year. With our luck we drafted another Heath Shuler.... :bag:

there won’t be a verdict on him this season but at least he should learn.  If he doesn’t start he won’t get 1st team reps.  He needs all the reps.  Get a full offseason and then next season.  By then they should know.  He was never expected to start right away and succeed.

Marvelous said:
I actually thought the Redskins were playing better in the first half.  Defense was getting pressure on Cousins for most of the game.  Of course, it did not prevent Cousins for having a really good game.  Of course, the Vikings had numerous holding penalties that killed their drives.  If they could reduce those, this game would have been a blowout.

The offense went into the tank once Haskins came in.  I still believe he is just not ready yet.
I thought they played as well as they could in the first half, but they've done that before and then have come out and gotten ground down or taken apart in second halves of games. At best the team can play one good half -- that's where they are whether Haskins, Keenum, or McCoy is QB. I don't blame Haskins, and would rather see them play him the rest of the season and get the majority of 1st team snaps during the week to get him ready. It's not like Keenum is going to win them any games, or be here next year.

This is rock bottom.

Media reporting both the Racial Slurs and the Bengals are refusing to even talk trades.

What a joke.  If you live in the DC area maybe its time to become a Ravens fan?

If you live in Ohio maybe the Browns are a better choice?

At least until new ownership comes in.

ETA:  Reports are saying that Washington wants a 1st for Williams.  I'm fine with this, that's what they should ask for at a minimum.  If AJG is worth a first (and it has been reported that CIN could get a first for him), Williams is worth even more being under contract next season too.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 3h3 hours ago

Dwayne Haskins stuck around after practice and he was throwing to a receiver. Couldn’t tell who it was; (wasn’t McLaurin; from a couple football fields away it’s hard to tell but TM was spotted in locker room)
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

Bill Callahan said Case Keenum remains in the concussion protocol. He did not practice today.
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 2h2 hours ago

Callahan said he liked how Dwayne Haskins responded to Thursday’s game. Met with Haskins this weekend. Talked about a few things. He liked Haskins’ tempo in practice among other things.
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

Callahan reiterates that if Case Keenum is healthy he will start.

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora

Heard from a DC source about possible trades beyond Trent Williams, who has been trying to get out since the spring. I get the sense they'd listen on Ryan Kerrigan and others (Josh Norman would be salary dump/little in return) beyond just Williams
I know LaCanfora has been wrong a good bit but I believe he was among the first to report that Trent would not play for the team for medical reasons.

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 1h1 hour ago

Albert Breer Retweeted Ian Rapoport

The Redskins have begun the process of ascertaining interest across the league. And I'm told the asking price, for right now (and this is obviously subject to change), is a first-round pick.

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Could the Redskins trade Trent Williams? Definitely. But the price is high and sources tell me the team might want a playmaker in return, not just about draft picks. Trying to give Haskins weapons.
The NFL trade deadline is Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Code:
9	Nov 03	1:00 PM ET	at Bills
10	Bye Week 
11	Nov 17	1:00 PM ET	Jets
12	Nov 24	1:00 PM ET	Lions
13	Dec 01	1:00 PM ET	at Panthers
14	Dec 08	1:00 PM ET	at Packers
15	Dec 15	1:00 PM ET	Eagles
16	Dec 22	1:00 PM ET	Giants
17	Dec 29	1:00 PM ET	at Cowboys

fatness said:
9 Nov 03 1:00 PM ET at Bills
10 Bye Week
11 Nov 17 1:00 PM ET Jets
12 Nov 24 1:00 PM ET Lions
13 Dec 01 1:00 PM ET at Panthers
14 Dec 08 1:00 PM ET at Packers
15 Dec 15 1:00 PM ET Eagles
16 Dec 22 1:00 PM ET Giants
17 Dec 29 1:00 PM ET at Cowboys

I REALLY hope we are looking at 0-8 there. Seems to me Giants and Jets are the only games we MIGHT have a shot, but I'd much rather have a better pick. 

PFT reporting the Redskins are shopping Norman.  I hope they find a taker.  He probably should have been traded or cut last off season.

PFT reporting the Redskins are shopping Norman.  I hope they find a taker.  He probably should have been traded or cut last off season.
I don't see how anyone would want to take on his salary. I think I read he's the 2nd highest paid CB although he was one of the worst statistically  :bag:

So does Trent get moved today? Fingers crossed we get a 1st and maybe a nice player? We have so many times given up a good player and pick (remember Broncos and Chiefs trades specifically) would be nice to be on the other end for once....

They must really think the Browns are more dumb than the Redskins that they would give up a 1st and Denzel Ward at the last minute.  You probably could have gotten better if Bruce's ego wasn't huge and did it about 4 months ago

Brunell4MVP said:
Williams ended his holdout.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2019/10/29/trent-williams-washington-redskins-ends-holdout/2500228001/

I assume this means Bruce didn't end up trading him as he hoped.  And Williams wants to get credit for another year of service for retirement $s and to keep the contract years rolling? 
Absolutely it means the latter. Trent wants out of DC. He skipped 10 games and reported, so the the remainder of this season counts as one whole year off his Redskin contract. He'll do the same next year. The only things that will change this are 1) Bruce Allen being 100% severed from the Skins and 2) changes to the medical staff by the new GM.

Let's see how smart a businessman Dan Snyder really is. Does he choose the guy who sucks up to him and makes him feel comfortable while losing fans like crazy? Or does he choose the best, most respected player on the team and doing something about 3 straight years of devastating injuries.

You know he'll choose Bruce.

I guess I don’t get what his status is. Is he now going to be suspended without pay because he’s refusing to play? What’s next?

I guess I don’t get what his status is. Is he now going to be suspended without pay because he’s refusing to play? What’s next?
He hasn't refused. All we (maybe) know is his intentions.

JP Finlay‏Verified account @JPFinlayNBCS

Source tells me that while Trent Williams has reported to the Redskins, he has no intention of playing this season.
First the team has to decide if he's in game shape I guess. Then I think he has the right to have his doctor examine him and give his opinion on whether he's in game shape. Beyond that, it's not hard to imagine grievance procedures with the NFL, with evidence about the Redskins medical staff being entered.

This feels so weird because I've never said it or thought it before, but because I love the Redskins I'm rooting for Trent Williams against the (current front office of the) Redskins.

I'm guessing we will see a Jalen Ramsey-like situation where Trent will have some new health or personal "issue" each week that lands him on the inactive list.

He never intended on playing.  I guess “reporting” helped him accrue a year while still getting around playing.  #firebruce
Exactly.  His reporting was just a business move to make sure 2019 counted as a contract year.  The "helmet issue" is absolutely BS, but something the team should have been expecting (maybe not the helmet issue, specifically, but that there would be some reason for him to not participate in practice or to play).

Washington Redskins tackle Trent Williams failed his physical Wednesday, casting more doubt on his immediate playing future.

Williams, who ended his holdout Tuesday, did not pass his physical because there was discomfort when he put on his helmet. Williams underwent surgery to remove a growth on his head in the offseason.

Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan said that Williams would have passed the physical otherwise. He said he wasn't sure if Williams needed to have a specially-designed helmet.

The Redskins were given a two-week roster exemption for Williams. There's no guarantee he plays for Washington again.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27968844/redskins-lt-trent-williams-fails-physical-due-helmet-discomfort

So the Redskins front office will try to stop him from accruing a year on his contract, and he'll likely file a medical grievance against the Redskins.

Has any team handled a player this poorly?

ohn Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 7h7 hours ago

Redskins first O going vs first D. Unusual for open media session... Dwayne Haskins is taking the reps.
Sounds like they're getting Haskins ready to start Sunday.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

More on the Trent Williams' health: The #Redskins LT passed all parts of his physical, the team told his agent. Then he tried on a helmet and reported pain from surgery, which they are considering part of the physical. The team has 2 weeks to find a helmet that doesn’t hurt him.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

If the Redskins can’t find a helmet that doesn’t give Trent Williams pain by the time his roster exemption expires, the options are: He plays in pain or the team puts him on NFI (which means they can choose to pay him or not). Either way, his contract won’t toll.

i'm confused a little about what's going on here. It seems both sides are playing games. What are both sides trying to accomplish, is it just fiscal at this point?

Let's review where we are. The Washington Capitals won the Stanley Cup not too long ago. The Washington Senators Nationals just won the World Series. The Washington Redskins are 1-7 with no real starting QB, with their best player refusing to play, and with an owner and front office who think they're doing well.

#### the Redskins owner and front office.

If I were a Redskin fan I'd be trying to start a movement on social media to put pressure on the league to force a name change. If Snyder insists on keeping the name maybe the league can push him out. Donald Sterling was forced out of the NBA for sounding like a racist, so it can happen. Jerry Richardson was forced out of CAR not that long ago.

If they were able to change the name AND get a new owner...... it might be the best season by the team in over a decade no matter what their record says.

Let's review where we are. The Washington Capitals won the Stanley Cup not too long ago. The Washington Senators Nationals just won the World Series. The Washington Redskins are 1-7 with no real starting QB, with their best player refusing to play, and with an owner and front office who think they're doing well.

You left out the Bullet/Wizards, who have one division crown since their last title, which came a full 14 years more recently than the Bullet title.

Washington fanbase is no stranger to extended sports misery.

But today is a day to celebrate the baseball team!   :clap:

Mystics (WNBA) also won a title.....like this month in fact.  And a little down the road (but towards where I am) UVA just won a NCAA title. 

Users who are viewing this thread