Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins Thread - Offseason starts now - Next group of fresh meat on the way

If you want to see someone's performance get murdered by facts, read the Washington Post article on Bruce Allen. Pay special attention to the end, where the attendance and financial value of the team are discussed relative to other teams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/10/bruce-allens-redskins-tenure-has-been-failure-by-almost-any-measurement/?arc404=true

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, fatness said:

If you want to see someone's performance get murdered by facts, read the Washington Post article on Bruce Allen. Pay special attention to the end, where the attendance and financial value of the team are discussed relative to other teams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/10/bruce-allens-redskins-tenure-has-been-failure-by-almost-any-measurement/?arc404=true

Good lord I don't know the other GM's numbers, but this can't be very good:

Aside from Kerrigan, the draft hasn’t reliably produced impact players. NFL analyst Warren Sharp pointed out in July that only seven of the 52 (!) players drafted by Allen received another contract from Washington after their four-year rookie deals expired. Nearly two-thirds of the players selected under Allen (34 of 52) were out of the NFL or unsigned free agents this summer.

5 hours ago, dgreen said:

Guice to IR. 

I'm for giving up on all their frequently-injured players except Guice. He's worth hanging onto because he's young and quite good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fatness said:

I'm for giving up on all their frequently-injured players except Guice. He's worth hanging onto because he's young and quite good.

The skins seem to have a knack for finding awesome talent that can't stay on the field. Reed, Guice, Williams, etc. and so on.

23 hours ago, fatness said:

I'm not so sure Snyder even cares about the financial side of it.  If you throw out Snyder Communications, which made a good deal of its profits from illegal activities, he's not a very good businessman.  I mean the guy cost Bill Gates over $120M, and Gates isn't exactly loose with his change.  https://www.businessinsider.com/the-14-worst-business-practices-of-redskins-owner-daniel-snyder-2010-11#six-flags-new-orleans-never-reopened-after-hurricane-katrina-hit-the-city-in-2005-the-company-was-fined-3m-for-breaking-the-lease-8   And those are from an article in 2010.  So there could be a lot more.  But Six Flags and the Redskins are (were) terribly managed. 

Yet Snyder rolls on, riding the backs of the NFL gravy train. 

To Snyder, it's more about saying he owns the Redskins than he wants to make money.  Cause with that kind of cash a person should be having one successful business venture after another.  The guy is a scumbag.  There's really no other way to put it.

Fact is, JKC opened the door for generational damage to his team with his will.  He may have won 3 SBs, but man did he hose this franchise for decades.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

Don't know if it's worth it's own thread or not (yet)....

Clinton Portis among 10 former NFL players charged with defrauding health care program

The players allegedly submitted false claims to the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Reimbursement Account Plan for reimbursement for medical equipment — such as hyperbaric chambers, cryotherapy machines, ultrasound machines used to conduct women’s health exams and electromagnetic therapy devices designed for use on horses — costing between $40,000 and $50,000. The players recruited others into their scheme by offering to submit false claims in exchange for “kickbacks” and bribes that ranged up $10,000, according to the indictments. The players fabricated documents, including invoices and prescriptions, to execute the plan, according to the indictments.

Guess we won't be hearing much from Clinton any more on radio or TV. Those are some serious charges.

It's a shame, I like the guy, and sure he may be innocent. But this isn't the league coming after them, it's the Department of Justice arresting and charging them.

One question I have has to do with timing and firing a GM.  I think it makes more sense to fire the GM early, and try to get a new one in place early in the off season.  Then he can hire the new coach.  No credible coach will come to the Redskins if they don't know who the GM will be.  So Snyder would need to throw a ton of money at 2nd tier coaches.  Hiring the GM first makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

One question I have has to do with timing and firing a GM.  I think it makes more sense to fire the GM early, and try to get a new one in place early in the off season.  Then he can hire the new coach.  No credible coach will come to the Redskins if they don't know who the GM will be.  So Snyder would need to throw a ton of money at 2nd tier coaches.  Hiring the GM first makes a lot more sense.

That was a statement, not a question.

• Like 1

Inactives: QB Colt McCoy, WR Trey Quinn, TE Caleb Wilson, G Brandon Scherff, C Ross Pierschbacher, LB Josh Harvey-Clemons, CB Quinton Dunbar

Not sure why Scherff is out. (Edit: elbow and shoulder injuries)

That leaves Wes Martin blocking Fletcher Cox. Yikes.

Edited by fatness

13 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Urban Meyer reportedly at today’s game. Spurrier all over again?

dont remind me of that debacle.  smdh

Saw some of the game today. Offense seems to be coming around. The defense remains bad. And Sims, oof. Has he always had stone hands and made such boneheaded decisions with the ball?

Haskins continues to improve.  Except for that last play.   I like that he seems to be progressing.  Mclaurin is a stud!  And adp is a freak.  He needs to be here next season.

#firebruce

So can someone smarter than me tell me who wins tiebreakers if a bunch of teams end up with 3 wins? Right now Redskins are tied for the 2nd worst record in the NFL with the Dolphins, and Giants. If all 3 teams end up with the same record, who gets 1.2 pick? 

7 hours ago, The_Man said:

Urban Meyer reportedly at today’s game. Spurrier all over again?

Serious question, is Meyer knows for being a work-a-holic (like Joe Gibbs) or known for playing golf several times a week (like Spurrier)?? 

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

So can someone smarter than me tell me who wins tiebreakers if a bunch of teams end up with 3 wins? Right now Redskins are tied for the 2nd worst record in the NFL with the Dolphins, and Giants. If all 3 teams end up with the same record, who gets 1.2 pick? 

"The first tiebreaker is strength of schedule. The team with the weakest SOS among tied teams gets the higher first round pick"
"The second tiebreaker after SOS is common opponents in the division or conference."

SOS: Giants (.471) Dolphins (.491) Redskins (.491) Lions (.507)

So we MUST lose next week.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Edited by PinkydaPimp

4 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

And Sims, oof. Has he always had stone hands and made such boneheaded decisions with the ball?

Sims: 5-45-1 on 11 targets

McLaurin: 5-130-1 on 5 targets

• Like 1

Sims is better than Quinn, no doubt about that. But force-feeding him the ball so much yesterday cost them. There were a couple times Haskins threw to him when someone else was open.

Offense is improving, as is Haskins. Happy to see that, and happy to see all the young guys on the field so much.

Anyone notice that Moreau went out hurt in the 4th quarter, which put Norman into the game to cover the game-winning TD? Moreau's good; Norman's not any more.

Bonehead play of the game was Bostic's recovery. I was yelling "Just go down", he didn't, and he fumbled it back to the Eagles. 2nd place goes to Haskins's last play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fatness said:

Sims is better than Quinn, no doubt about that. But force-feeding him the ball so much yesterday cost them. There were a couple times Haskins threw to him when someone else was open.

Offense is improving, as is Haskins. Happy to see that, and happy to see all the young guys on the field so much.

Anyone notice that Moreau went out hurt in the 4th quarter, which put Norman into the game to cover the game-winning TD? Moreau's good; Norman's not any more.

Bonehead play of the game was Bostic's recovery. I was yelling "Just go down", he didn't, and he fumbled it back to the Eagles. 2nd place goes to Haskins's last play.

I look forward to some good coaching to get rid of the boneheaded plays that are a constant here. 

Btw this happened:  https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1206416806103199744?s=20

Not sure what to make of the alex smith thing. 

Redskin WR total during rookie year:

926, Gary Clark 1985
871, Anthony Armstrong 2010
833, Terry McLaurin 2019
814, Charlie Taylor 1964
797, Art Monk 1980
741, Rod Gardner 2001

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 21h21 hours ago

Redskins quarterback Dwayne Haskins wasn't impressed by his best statistical day. He threw for a career-best 261 yards and two touchdowns. "I'm nowhere close to where I want to be. That should be an average game for me," Haskins said

I missed this last week: Kerrigan is on IR with a calf injury. Ryan Anderson is looking improved.

16 minutes ago, fatness said:

I missed this last week: Kerrigan is on IR with a calf injury. Ryan Anderson is looking improved.

Yeah, Anderson was pretty disruptive at times. He's always been good against the run and also had several good pressures yesterday and forced three fumbles.

• Like 1

McLaurin needs 167 yards in the final two games to get to 1,000. He's 2nd among rookies in receiving yardage, 60 behind AJ Brown.

Peterson needs 216 yards for 1,000. His 4.3 ypa is his best since 2015 (4.5).

Ionnidis is 1.5 sacks away from 10. 2019 is already his career high (8.5).

Holcomb should get to 100 tackles as a rookie (91 so far).

Tress Way currently leads the league in yards per punt and his 49.4 y/p is 9th best all time.

8 hours ago, dgreen said:

Tress Way currently leads the league in yards per punt and his 49.4 y/p is 9th best all time.

MVP! MVP!

9 hours ago, dgreen said:

Yeah, Anderson was pretty disruptive at times. He's always been good against the run and also had several good pressures yesterday and forced three fumbles.

That's the best he's been rushing the passer. In the offseason they may think of drafting another pass rusher, keeping Anderson, and dealing Kerrigan. I'd hate to see Kerrigan go, but he's going count a good bit against the cap next year which could be  used to build elsewhere or to pay younger players, and I think he's past his peak.

Well, today, to the day, is the 10 year anniversary of the hiring of Bruce Allen. Currently, on 106.7 The Fan, Grant and Danny have dedicated their entire show to celebrating this event. 30 minutes in, and it's pretty good. Heads up to tune in over the next couple hours, if you have the chance.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

"The first tiebreaker is strength of schedule. The team with the weakest SOS among tied teams gets the higher first round pick"
"The second tiebreaker after SOS is common opponents in the division or conference."

SOS: Giants (.471) Dolphins (.491) Redskins (.491) Lions (.507)

So we MUST lose next week.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

PFT ran an article on this.  They had the Dolphins third and Redskins fourth for now.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:44 AM, fatness said:

There was a 3rd down play where Sims caught the ball.  At the end, the announcers thought he could have dove forward for the first down.  Instead he ran back and was tackled a yard short.  Redskins kicked a field goal.  That was a pretty egregious bonehead play.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, dgreen said:

Great stat.  What I found most incredible about that stat is that Shane Lechler has 5 of the 18 best seasons ever.   For all the talk of Ray Guy, Sammy Baugh, Reggie Roby, and Todd Sauerbrun (who when I saw live I couldn't actually believe how high he kicked it) ... Lechler is #1 on career lists.  Tress Way is #7 in career yards per punt, which is pretty cool (Ray Guy is #77 fyi).  

Edited by Brunell4MVP

Only Dan Snyder would see it as a positive thing to bring Alex back in a position to compete for the starting QB job and ruin Haskins confidence and development. Please fire Bruce and then give yourself a decade long timeout from any interaction with the team. Just sign the checks Dan, that's the only thing you are good at. :rant:

On 12/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

Publicity.  I mean seriously imagine the stories and news coverage from all over the NFL when Alex steps on the field again.  Never mind the fact that he is probably a 50/50 chance of snapping that same leg on the majority of him plays but hey not the first time the Skins haven't given a crap about a QB's safety.

I love listening to company stooge Joe Theisman go off on Todd McShay for saying that the Skins are worst possible attraction for a big time coach.  I am not sure if he is mad because he thinks that Todd is bashing the talent (which he wasn't) or he is holding the company bucket to tell people how good the current front office is

Edited by hammerva

In case anyone was under the impression that Dan Snyder isn't still putting his thumb in the soup, John Keim reports that Dwayne Haskins said that Snyder told him not to go back into the game after X-Rays came back negative and Haskins lobbied to re-enter. Whether that was good advice or not, it's still the Owner meddling in in-game football decisions, which is, at best, questionably appropriate.

Edited by nittanylion

19 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

In case anyone was under the impression that Dan Snyder isn't still putting his thumb in the soup, John Keim reports that Dwayne Haskins said that Snyder told him not to go back into the game after X-Rays came back negative and Haskins lobbied to re-enter. Whether that was good advice or not, it's still the Owner meddling in in-game football decisions, which is, at best, questionably appropriate.

Yep, I’m torn on this. 

If Detroit wins, do we clinch the second pick?

58 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

This doesn’t bother me much.  Also i read he was never cleared to go back in anyway.  I don’t think this was a big deal.  

Wild game. Not hurt they lost. Haskins before going out looked pretty good. He's improving each game which is all one can ask for. The D needs help, probably more in the secondary but a guy like Chase Young can make all levels better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jbz said:

Wild game. Not hurt they lost. Haskins before going out looked pretty good. He's improving each game which is all one can ask for. The D needs help, probably more in the secondary but a guy like Chase Young can make all levels better. 

Yea i have been very happy watching Haskins progress with each game.  Looking forward to seeing him with an entire offseason and training camp as the starter.  He has shown he can make all the throws.  And he is learning.  Shows a lot of promise.  Amazing what reps can do!

now let’s fire Bruce and get a good gm and coach for these young guys!

Agree Haskins improving nicely. I really like how he maneuvers in the pocket. 

Three rookie WRs combined for 18-208-2 today. 

• Like 1

I'm beginning t think this Manusky guy might not be any good.

And that Allen guy, yeesh. Why would any NFL team employ him after his record of failure?

Really like the way the offense played today (and the way the plays were called). Keenum really sucks but he got things done when he had to. With Haskins in for the whole game I think they win while overcoming 500+ yards given up by the defense.

I have to think that, if Snyder's interfering and tealling Haskins not to go back in the game, he's thinking long-term and not short-term. Which means a thorough housecleaning.

Edited by fatness

17 hours ago, nittanylion said:

From everything I've heard this morning, Snyder was telling Haskins to follow the doctors' advice and not play. So if the docs advised not playing, Haskins still wanted to play, and Snyder intervened to tell him not to play, I don't have any problem with that. If Snyder had advised going back in the game I'd have a hell of a problem with it.

Here are the opponents for the Washington Redskins for the 2020 regular season: Home: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Rams, Cincinnati Bengals, Seattle Seahawks. Away: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41089007-4

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 18h18 hours ago

Redskins put out a statement by Dr. Robin West: "I evaluated Dwayne following his ankle injury and after reviewing the X-Rays and conducting a full examination, I did not clear him to return to game action."

Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan said he didn't want to go for a two point conversion because he felt the defense would stop them in overtime. "I thought it was the right decision," Callahan said.

I bolded the stupid part.

• Like 1

Dwayne Haskins, Jr🌹‏Verified account @dh_simba7

I need to clarify something from my press conference. Dr. West advised me that I was done for this game. Dan Snyder who was in the locker room supporting me, told me I’ve got to listen to the Doctor. Looking forward to getting back healthy for Skins Nation. #HTTR

https://twitter.com/dh_simba7/status/1208899318486388737

Man he looked good in the first half. I think we have our QB.