What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

I think Hillman would make some sense if he's let go by Denver. RB is in desperate need of help. Even more so now that Jones may not be at full health come Week 1. The rest of the offense looks locked loaded, but RB is a huge weak spot.

He's had a lot of concussions and a neck injury.
Now reports from within the locker room (allegedly) are that the retirement talk was an emotional reaction to being traded, it shook him up to leave the Pats. Sounds like a headcase, but on the other hand that's the kind of guy McCloughan could reach and get him to believe that WE were the ones who believed in him when the Pats didn't...worked with Galette, in terms of him buying in. Became a "me and the Redskins against the world" thing when no one else wanted him. Same with Norman, he was totally won over by how much he was wanted in Washington. McCloughan has a way of looking in these guys' eyes and getting them to buy in. Who knows how it will turn out though.

Center Bryan Stork has informed the Washington Redskins that he plans to report to team headquarters sometime this weekend, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The Redskins received news of the third-year pro’s plans a day after they acquired him from the New England Patriots for a conditional seventh-round pick. Shortly after the teams had finalized the deal Wednesday afternoon, Stork told Washington officials he was considering retiring.

But Stork evidently has had a change of plans, and he will now join the Redskins and attempt to learn the system quickly during the final week of the preseason.

A fourth-round pick of the Patriots in 2014, the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Florida State product has 17 career starts in the NFL. He began last season on the short-term injured reserve list and returned to start in six games.

I only got to watch early on and it looked really sloppy.  Hoping thats just rust.  The D looked promising however.  Anything notable that i missed?

What do you Skins homers think of Kelley? His stat line looked good, how did he really look?
Heard he looked ok.  but i wouldnt be targeting the skins rbs this season.  Plus we still likely will bring in a veteran.  so no telling at this point how it will play out and who, after jones might emerge. 

I think Knile Davis would be a great fit. Rumor is he may get cut if they can't get a trade. Wonder if a conditional 7th upgraded to 6th with performance would get a trade done.

I think Knile Davis would be a great fit. Rumor is he may get cut if they can't get a trade. Wonder if a conditional 7th upgraded to 6th with performance would get a trade done.
I could get on board with that!  Is he still on KC?  He used to be pretty solid filling in for JC.  Did he just get surpassed by the younger guys? 

If I had a say for a RB we should add, I'd be fine with either Davis or Hillman. Would definitely take them over what we have now.

i usually avoid redskins in fantasy because i dont like to jinx the team.  but at this point, i have to think they are going to throw a ridiculous amount.  Cousins seems like a steal in most leagues.  i even see him on waivers in leagues.

i usually avoid redskins in fantasy because i dont like to jinx the team.  but at this point, i have to think they are going to throw a ridiculous amount.  Cousins seems like a steal in most leagues.  i even see him on waivers in leagues.
I'd pick him up then.  Despite what the team has said Gruden likes to pass and I can't see these RBs doing a whole lot.

Due to weather concerns, our PreSeason Week #4 Game at TBB has been moved from Thursday to Wednesday, 8PM...

Cousins shouldn't be on anyone's waiver wire. Even if I had 2 QB, if I had room on my Roster, I'd add him as a 3rd. His ceiling is just too high.

About the RB situation: I think what we're seeing here is classic Scot McC - not panicking, staying medium (classic Zornism), while things play out around the League. It's fairly obvious that they are playing somewhat of a waiting game with Matt Jones, hoping he comes back before they have to do anything out of necessity. In the meantime, Kelley, Mack Brown and Thompson give them everything they need on the practice field to prep for the Steelers. I'm sure Pierre Thomas is on speed dial, if they felt they needed to bring him in - he's not receiving interest from anyone else, according to all the verifiable outlets, which to me, is both good and bad. Maybe they figure that as long as no one else is showing interest in him, he'll be there if they decide he's part of a solution, but why pay him anything until they have to. That's being both sensible and smart, and is actually quite refreshing...

...as for some of the other names being bandied about: we've been over this before when it came to Alfred Morris. I love Morris the person and was sad to see him go, but the fact of the matter is that his upside is limited (he's just not that dynamic), and more importantly, he's best in a zone blocking/1-cut-and-go scheme. The Cowboys' O-line is the great mitigator - I don't think it matters who the back is, or what style they excel in, that line is going to blow open holes for pretty much any RB to exploit, and Morris will surely excel getting tough yards, and bludgeoning defenses late when the Cowboys are protecting a lead...but our scheme and his skills were a bad fit, and lacking anything dynamic, it made sense to cut ties...

...where I'm going with this, is that I didn't think it made any sense when folks were speculating about Arian Foster coming here. Foster was once dynamic, but injury has sapped quite a bit of that aspect of his game, AND he's a back who's skills, like Morris, are better suited for a zone blocking/1-cut-and-go scheme that we don't run. If we cut Morris, there's absolutely no reason to bring in Foster. Same goes for Ronnie Hillman, on both counts: he's not dynamic, and he's not a fit for scheme. Knile Davis? Will a back who couldn't beat out Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West really perform better that much better than Robert Kelley or Mack Brown? Fat Karlos from Buffalo? Do you really want to bring a guy into the locker room who obviously has issues with motivation and self control?

I'm not under any illusions about 'R.Kelley' (ugh), or Mack Brown. Or even Matt Jones. I don't think either of them are any more than JAG's, at best...but so is everyone else on the market right now...and we all know by now that RB isn't a terribly hard position to be average to better-than-average, in general, and here, in particular. Here, it's more important the type of RB, not necessarily the talent (which would be a bonus, but there's just not much available talent right now), so why do anything at this point, besides wait to see what falls out, and not chase guys who are more name than numbers.

Finally, Chris Thompson is a fine back in his own right for the offense we're running here. He's cut from the same mold as Theo Riddick, Lance Dunbar, Shane Vereen, Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead, to name a few, not quite the Gio Bernard, Bilal Powell, Charles Sims, James Starks prototype Gruden is trying to find...although he's not built to take the pounding that a Peterson-type is subjected to, I see no reason to believe he couldn't handle more touches, and be quite effective with them, if the game scripts for the Redskins play out as expected - meaning they are going to throw, and throw a lot. Being a great receiver and very solid pass protector, it's a lot like what the Chargers were going to be doing with Woodhead, if Melvin Gordon hadn't suddenly looked like the light finally went on...he's not going to take a pounding if he's not put in position to take a pounding, and that's something they can scheme with Jackson/Garcon/Crowder/Reed also on the field, and a better Kirk chucking the pigskin. So I'm looking at a 350r/48-450rec/5Ttd type of year from Thompson. Dodds/Henry/Tremblay/Wood currently have him slotted anywhere from high-40's to mid-50's, which I think is slightly conservative, but not by much. I'm going to say RB 42-ish. Mid-tier RB4 in a 12 Team PPR League. Pretty useless in standard, but a matchup flex-play in PPR that might pan out for a nice weekly line if you're smart about where you use him...but from a real, NFL football sense, all in all, given what we have, and how we're likely going to have to play regardless of what we have, or what anyone else currently available brings to the table, I'm quite happy standing pat unless something too good to be true happens to fall in our laps.

i usually avoid redskins in fantasy because i dont like to jinx the team.   but at this point, i have to think they are going to throw a ridiculous amount.  Cousins seems like a steal in most leagues.  i even see him on waivers in leagues.
I hate to break this to you, but you don't have any superr powers. You can not affect the game. Or if you do have these powers to control 104 men on a field plus refs and coaches, you are grossly misusing them. Try to harness you powers for good. Even if there is the slightest chance of you possessing what you claim to posses, you owe it to the world, to us, to dedicate the rest of your life in to understanding such powers. Think of the scientific breakthroughs that can be had by studying your gift. Think of all the good you can do with your gift. Now get off that keyboard and go! Go! For the good of the world! Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to break this to you, but you don't have any shower powers. You can not affect the game. Or if you do have these powers to control 104 men on a field plus refs and coaches, you are grossly misusing them. Try to harness you powers for good. Even if there is the slightest chance of you possessing what you claim to posses, you owe it to the world, to us, to dedicate the rest of your life in to understanding such powers. Think of the scientific breakthroughs that can be had by studying your gift. Think of all the good you can do with your gift. Now get off that keyboard and go! Go! For the good of the world! Go!
:lmao:

The Redskins have cut linebacker Perry Riley and defensive end Stephen Paea, a source said. Riley was in danger because he didn't play special teams and had a cap number of $5 million. Paea was made expendable with the arrival of Cullen Jenkins.

:lol:  @ shower powers. Whoops. Stupid phone. 

It looks like Pot Roast isn't going to get more than a vet minimum+ type of deal. I loved his leadership last year. I can easily see him back in Washington. 

I hate to break this to you, but you don't have any superr powers. You can not affect the game. Or if you do have these powers to control 104 men on a field plus refs and coaches, you are grossly misusing them. Try to harness you powers for good. Even if there is the slightest chance of you possessing what you claim to posses, you owe it to the world, to us, to dedicate the rest of your life in to understanding such powers. Think of the scientific breakthroughs that can be had by studying your gift. Think of all the good you can do with your gift. Now get off that keyboard and go! Go! For the good of the world! Go!
I'll have you know that year we beat tampa in the playoffs my seating position personally got us there and enabled us to get the win. 

:yes:

It was hard work too.

I'll have you know that year we beat tampa in the playoffs my seating position personally got us there and enabled us to get the win. 

:yes:

It was hard work too.
If you've been at this for as long as it sounds like you have, you suck at it. Give up and leave it up to the teams on the field please. Now I blame you and only you for this drought. Not Snyder, you. Not Stubblefeild, you. Not Vinny, you. Not Haynesworth, you. Not Spurrier, you. Not the ####ty field during the Seahawks game, you. Please stop. 

If you've been at this for as long as it sounds like you have, you suck at it. Give up and leave it up to the teams on the field please. Now I blame you and only you for this drought. Not Snyder, you. Not Stubblefeild, you. Not Vinny, you. Not Haynesworth, you. Not Spurrier, you. Not the ####ty field during the Seahawks game, you. Please stop. 
:shrug:   This superstition took years of losing to build.  the 90s took a toll on me. 

I think it is pretty clear what the Redskins are going to do at rb.  The plan is to go with who they have, which is Jones, Thompson, and Kelley.  RB  is probably the easiest position to fill if a need comes up.  McCloughan is probably very confident he can sign a serviceable RB like Pierre Thomas any time during the season.

I think it is pretty clear what the Redskins are going to do at rb.  The plan is to go with who they have, which is Jones, Thompson, and Kelley.  RB  is probably the easiest position to fill if a need comes up.  McCloughan is probably very confident he can sign a serviceable RB like Pierre Thomas any time during the season.
Agree. And they're going to use the short passing game as a substitute for the running game. 

I was hoping the Saints would be dumb enough to cut Spiller and let the Skins pick him up. Short passes for loooooong TDs. $$$$$$$$$$

So what are you guys thinking about how the Redskins are going to do this year? I think their positives are a good GM who seems to be bringing in solid players, and some confidence from winning a division title. However, I am not sold on Gruden or Cousins yet as they only went 9-7 last year and had a last place schedule in which they only played 3 teams with winning records (and lost to all of them). The NFC East is a mystery this year, especially with Romo going down. The Cowboys will probably be around .500, The Eagles may surprise but are probably in the 5-11, 6-10 range, and I don't know what to make of the Giants with a new coaching staff. The Redskins seem to be the favorite in the division right now, but do they take a step back with their first place schedule? I don't know. what do you guys think?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a young Joe Gibbs took over a Team in limbo. The Season prior to the Redskins taking off and becoming one of the most dominant Teams in the NFL from the early 80's through the early 90's, they went 8-8. Fans of the Team recognize that Season was actually a Tale of 2 Seasons: 0-5 and 8-3...

...much of the similarity ends there, I'm sorry to say. However, the parallel I'm drawing involves last Season, which could be accurately referred to as a Tale of 2 Seasons itself: Pre-Bucs Game and Post-Bucs Game...

Having won the Division last year, and facing a 1st-Place schedule for 2016, I think the Redskins are going to continue to grow, and make positive steps, but not in a way realized by the casual fan. They will again finish 9-7, and likely again win the Division, but they will be a better Team for it. They will likely finish as the #4 Seed in the Playoffs, and as such, probably host the Seahawks in Week 18 (Cards win the Division, Seahawks better record than whoever finishes #6 - likely the Vikings, even with the Bridgewater injury). I think this time we beat them. We're probably good enough to be competitive in a Week 19 road Playoff Game, but that's probably the end of the run. If we were somehow able to advance, I don't think we're good enough yet to win 2 consecutive road Playoff Games against upper-echelon NFC Teams like Green Bay, Carolina and Arizona.

That's my prognostication, and IMHO, that's plenty of progress.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a young Joe Gibbs took over a Team in limbo. The Season prior to the Redskins taking off and becoming one of the most dominant Teams in the NFL from the early 80's through the early 90's, they went 8-8. Fans of the Team recognize that Season was actually a Tale of 2 Seasons: 0-5 and 8-3...

...much of the similarity ends there, I'm sorry to say. However, the parallel I'm drawing involves last Season, which could be accurately referred to as a Tale of 2 Seasons itself: Pre-Bucs Game and Post-Bucs Game...

Having won the Division last year, and facing a 1st-Place schedule for 2016, I think the Redskins are going to continue to grow, and make positive steps, but not in a way realized by the casual fan. They will again finish 9-7, and likely again win the Division, but they will be a better Team for it. They will likely finish as the #4 Seed in the Playoffs, and as such, probably host the Seahawks in Week 18 (Cards win the Division, Seahawks better record than whoever finishes #6 - likely the Vikings, even with the Bridgewater injury). I think this time we beat them. We're probably good enough to be competitive in a Week 19 road Playoff Game, but that's probably the end of the run. If we were somehow able to advance, I don't think we're good enough yet to win 2 consecutive road Playoff Games against upper-echelon NFC Teams like Green Bay, Carolina and Arizona.

That's my prognostication, and IMHO, that's plenty of progress.
This is  about where i am as well.  I just want to build up more young players, make progress on the D and oline, and im hoping cousins proves himself to be the qb we think he can be.  Also want to see Gruden get better as a coach.  I wasnt a fan his first season but hes growing on me and i do want consistency there.

Interesting report in PFT:

Kory Lichtensteiger takes pay cut to stay in Washington

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 2, 2016, 9:00 AM EDT
Rosters aren’t the only thing getting trimmed this weekend, as veteran players on the bubble are often forced into pay cuts if they want to keep their jobs.

That appears to have happened again in Washington, in the middle of the offensive line.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, center Kory Lichtensteiger has seen his salary reduced from $3.5 million to $2.25 million for the coming season. He can earn the difference back in incentives, but a pay cut is a pay cut.

Considering the fact Washington tried to replace him last week with a trade for Bryan Stork (who ultimately failed his physical and was sent back to New England to be cut), it will be interesting to see whether Lichtensteiger is able to make that money back.

The 31-year-old Lichtensteiger has two years left on the contract extension he signed in 2013.
It is clear the Redskins think Liichtensteiger is the weakest link in the OL.  The Stork move was definitely taking a shot at replacing Litchensteiger. 

I think this team could make the playoffs again. Not sure if they'll win the division, but a Wild Card seems possible at the very least. I know it's a tougher schedule, but the division really didn't get much better. The Giants will be our main competition, but with Romo already down, I'm not sure Dallas will be a serious threat this season. The Eagles seem to be in a bit of a rebuild, so I don't expect much from them this season.

Our biggest issue will be Cousins. Which ones shows up this year? If it's last year's version, the sky could be the limit for this team. We certainly have good pieces on offense, minus the running game. Our secondary should be greatly improved from last season, even if Norman doesn't live up to the hype. If Preston Smith continues to play like he did in the preseason, the pass rush won't be much of an issue either. Everything really comes down to how well Cousins plays this season.

I think this team could make the playoffs again.
7-9, which is the same prediction I have for every team in this division. 

Yes, someone will have to be better than that, but good luck trying to figure out who.  The Skins defense is the real wild card here.

I recognize a lot of names that got cut today... I'm still hoping we can upgrade at RB ASAP. Sankey, Hillman, Ridley, Forsett all available. 

So what are you guys thinking about how the Redskins are going to do this year?

I'd say 8-8 or 9-7.

Overall I think they'll be a bit stronger team than last year, playing a stronger schedule, in a stronger division. I have a hard time envisioning more than 9 wins. Primarily because their rush defense and rush offense don't look to be improved at all since last year.

Their ILB and OLB play looks like it'll be better than last year (please --- no more Perry Riley looking like a confused mannequin in zone coverage). Preston Smith's an improvement over Trent Murphy. The secondary looks to be improved. With Breeland and Norman at CB they're in very good shape there. Safety play is something we'll have to see about. It seems like it would be improved, but I'll believe it when I see it. The D-line, though, is just going to get gashed through the middle by opponents running the ball. All year long.

Their running game doesn't look like it'll do squat either. Jones is a fumbler and gets hurt, Lichtensteiger spends way too much time in the backfield, and whomever is going to play left guard isn't going to be much better. And last year neither Scherff nor Moses were good against the run. When they need to eat clock to keep the defense off the field they won't be able to do it much. When they need to pound it in they won't be able to do it much. When it's 3rd or 4th and goal from the 1 expect a lot of passes.

It's like Gruden and the front office don't care about running games. The rookie from Temple who was cut was another one of those "high motor, overachieving" types who didn't achieve much, kinda like Trent Murphy. To be fair, Murphy plays the run OK now but he's an LB and he sucks at rushing the passer and never has lived up to draft day hopes.

The passing game will be good, which will keep them in a lot of games and win more than a few. Kicker and punter are very good.

Special teams................... we have a tradition here of sucky special teams and I figure it'll continue. Heritage, not hate.

John Keim thinks they'll go 9-7. http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26674/washington-redskins-will-compete-for-playoffs-nfc-east-title  He also thinks they'll beat the Steelers and I can't think of a worse matchup for them. I think the Steelers will run all over them all game, and stuff the Skins run all game. I could see them losing the game, even losing like 42-17 due to the run game disparities. I hope I'm wrong and you can mock me widely.

The third game of the year is going to be quite important -- at the Giants.

I'm ready for football. And every team needs a guy named Deshazor, but we're the only one who has one, so there's that.

I'd say 8-8 or 9-7.

Overall I think they'll be a bit stronger team than last year, playing a stronger schedule, in a stronger division. I have a hard time envisioning more than 9 wins. Primarily because their rush defense and rush offense don't look to be improved at all since last year.

Their ILB and OLB play looks like it'll be better than last year (please --- no more Perry Riley looking like a confused mannequin in zone coverage). Preston Smith's an improvement over Trent Murphy. The secondary looks to be improved. With Breeland and Norman at CB they're in very good shape there. Safety play is something we'll have to see about. It seems like it would be improved, but I'll believe it when I see it. The D-line, though, is just going to get gashed through the middle by opponents running the ball. All year long.

Their running game doesn't look like it'll do squat either. Jones is a fumbler and gets hurt, Lichtensteiger spends way too much time in the backfield, and whomever is going to play left guard isn't going to be much better. And last year neither Scherff nor Moses were good against the run. When they need to eat clock to keep the defense off the field they won't be able to do it much. When they need to pound it in they won't be able to do it much. When it's 3rd or 4th and goal from the 1 expect a lot of passes.

It's like Gruden and the front office don't care about running games. The rookie from Temple who was cut was another one of those "high motor, overachieving" types who didn't achieve much, kinda like Trent Murphy. To be fair, Murphy plays the run OK now but he's an LB and he sucks at rushing the passer and never has lived up to draft day hopes.

The passing game will be good, which will keep them in a lot of games and win more than a few. Kicker and punter are very good.

Special teams................... we have a tradition here of sucky special teams and I figure it'll continue. Heritage, not hate.

John Keim thinks they'll go 9-7. http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26674/washington-redskins-will-compete-for-playoffs-nfc-east-title  He also thinks they'll beat the Steelers and I can't think of a worse matchup for them. I think the Steelers will run all over them all game, and stuff the Skins run all game. I could see them losing the game, even losing like 42-17 due to the run game disparities. I hope I'm wrong and you can mock me widely.

The third game of the year is going to be quite important -- at the Giants.

I'm ready for football. And every team needs a guy named Deshazor, but we're the only one who has one, so there's that.
Nice to see you around for the season!

I am a bit more optimistic than Fatness, but 9-7 is where I see them.

I am looking for improvement and I think we will get it.  That includes rushing the ball.  The defense looks improved with better pass rush and better play at ILB and CB.  Something should pan out for the safeties.  What are the chances that it will suck for the umpteenth year in a row?

The division looks like a mess, but I suspect it won't be nearly as bad as people think.  Dallas will somehow be a 0.500 team with or without Romo.  Philly is rebuilding, but it can go fast in the NFL.  The Giants signed a lot of guys in the offseason to plug holes.  We know how that works,  But it may work better for them.  I expect the whole division to be between 7-9 wins.  One team may collapse and end up with 4 wins.  Maybe it will be Dallas again.

My Redskin fantasy football thoughts:

Jordan Reed - obviously the biggest Redskin stud.  But expectation are so high for him.  The offense really likes to spread the ball around, so I expect Reed will fall short of fantasy expectations.  But he is still very good.

Cousins - I think he will do really well and exceed ADP.  I did not get a chance to draft him.

WRs - The offense really likes to spread the ball around, which makes no single WR a great fantasy player. DeSean Jackson is the best, and could be good in a best ball type format.

Redskins defense - I drafted them on a flyer.  If things go right (or the division is really bad), the Redskins D could be a good pick.

Robert Kelley - I wanted to take a flyer on him.  If Jones is hurt or ineffective, Kelley will be the guy.  And I really don't think they are going to sign another RB.  Unfortunately, someone drafted him before me and said it was a mistake and wanted to undo it.  Then he decided to keep him when he found out I wanted him.

Robert Kelley - I wanted to take a flyer on him.  If Jones is hurt or ineffective, Kelley will be the guy.  And I really don't think they are going to sign another RB.  Unfortunately, someone drafted him before me and said it was a mistake and wanted to undo it.  Then he decided to keep him when he found out I wanted him.
I meant to draft Kelley but the draft was one round shorter than I thought so I couldn't. I waited til waivers opened, dropped someone, and picked him up. I think he'll play more than Jones this year. I know Jones can catch, and that when he gets moving he's got moves and is a load to bring down.But if he get hit in the backfield, or has to change direction in the backfield, he doesn't get much and is just a plodder. I think the front office fell way-too-in-love with him at draft time, and he hasn't justified the love. He averaged fewer yards per carry (and more turnovers) than "that old fading guy who Gruden has wanted to move aside since he got here" Alfred Morris. Why Morris is on another team I'll never know. The guy belongs here. But anyway, Kelley seems to see and get through holes much better than Jones, and there aren't going to be a lot of holes this year so every one counts. Maybe he'll produce like Morris in 2012. I can dream.

I'm fairly certain that the 'skins will sign another RB, eventually. IMHO, What we're seeing right now is a competent GM in action. The available RB's are, for the most part, an average lot. At the same time, simple math conjectures that we need at least one more body in the position group. Simple truth (my truth, at least  :P ) dictates that the most talented RB on the roster (Chris Thompson) is a critical piece of this 2016 Offense, and his playing time has to be managed to a degree to mitigate a valid concerns regarding his ability to stay on the field. ISWT (InScottWeTrust) is hopefully doing the smart thing, and waiting until the Season begins before bringing in some street free agents to kick the tires, and potentially sign to a non-guaranteed contract. Pierre still waits in the wings, phone in hand...

I think it's important to come to terms with our 2016 Offense. It's established that Alfred was released because he was a square peg in a round hole. Let's talk about 'the hole': I maintain my opinion that in it's current iteration, RB in general, is regarded as a relatively unimportant position, in the absence of the 'round peg', which I would describe as an RB in the Gio Bernard mold. Again, IMHO, Gruden views the running game as an extension of the passing game (a la the 80's (?) 49'ers. In the absence of the protypical back necessary to function effectively in this offense (again, we have one in Thompson, but he has that pesky injury history which forces us to manage his touches), Matt Jones and Kelley are merely there to keep defenses somewhat honest, and to grind out tough yards in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

IMPORTANT NOTE:I don't know how many of you actually watched the entire 4th preseason game, much less listened to every bit of the audio. I did. Late in the 4th quarter, Joe Theismann, who's as much of an insider as anyone, said something very interesting and noteworthy. I cannot quote him verbatim, but he distinctly stated that he had spent plenty of time discussing the offense with McVay, and McVay told him that under optimal circumstances, the Pass/Run ratio would be 65% pass/35% run.

If that's the case, then from a FF standpoint, the Redskins rushing offense situation qualifies as one of the worst situations in the NFL - if you don't have the proper RB to participate in it. I've used this comp before: the 2015 Chargers. I think that's an offense worth studying if we want a comp to what we're going to be seeing a lot of in 2016. Problem is, our 'Woodhead' is Chris Thompson, and we have to manage his snaps to get the most out of him.

I'm sad about Keith Marshall. It was his uber-elite speed that got him drafted here, and I think the general idea was that with the limited touches the RB's are going to receive under the optimal circumstances described above, Marshall had the potential to take it to the house any time he touched the ball. A legitimate home-run hitter - that's getting tremendous potential productivity out of a by-design limited running scheme.

Matt Jones has some interesting qualities, but I think it's starting to look like he's not the round peg either. IMHO, Kelley is a JAG of the 1st order, and I'd advise limiting expectations. There's absolutely nothing dynamic about him, and I'd temper expectations accordingly. In a dozen high-stakes entries, (primarily PPR), I have him exactly...nowhere. I'll have to see it with live bullets flying to believe it, and will gladly admit I'm wrong if he shows out, but IMHO, we're talking about a double-whammy: a bad situation, with a stable populated by JAG's, with the exception of Chris Thompson, who's touches must be managed, which will limit his potential.

For the record, in all of those PPR Leagues, unless I was able to grab an elite RB in Round 1 who I like (Gurley, Elliot, D.Johnson, L.Miller, Peterson), or Forte/Lacy fell to the right spot, I went exclusively WR heavy, and populated my RB from as many of the following as possible: Bernard, Woodhead, Sims, Deangelo Williams, Riddick, Powell, Sproles, Starks, Vereen, Chris Thompson, Kenneth Dixon, Benny Cunningham, Shaun Draugn, Charcandrick West, Chris Johnson, Andre Ellington and CJ Spiller.

Outside of Thompson, we have nothing resembling that on the roster, and all those guys are safely on lockdown with their respective teams. Unless we can find that guy (and Pierre Thomas could be him), or Thompson stays healthy for the entire Season, I don't think we're going to see anything resembling Gruden/McVay's ideal vision of how the running game is going to figure into our offensive game plan.

Users who are viewing this thread