What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

At this point, it is unlikely the Kevin O'Connell will be the OC since the Redskins have talked to Scott Turner and now Pat Shumur.  If O'Connell was the guy, they probably would have made it official by now.  Turner could still be the QB coach.
I saw an article with another possibility.  O'Connell could be checking out other possibilities, especially if McDaniels leaves NE.

I saw an article with another possibility.  O'Connell could be checking out other possibilities, especially if McDaniels leaves NE.
I just read something something similar.

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman  Craig Hoffman Retweeted Albert Breer

#Redskins fans should keep an eye on this because of the potential impact on O'Connell.

Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is set to interview with the Giants on Wednesday and the Browns on Friday. He also has plans to interview with the Panthers.
1:18 PM - 6 Jan 2020

The Washington Redskins announced today Dr. Kevin Wilk as the team’s new medical consultant. Wilk will report directly to Head Athletic Trainer Ryan Vermillion.
https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-announce-kevin-wilk-medical-consultant

I don't know where that leaves the rest of the current Redskin medical staff. Wilk seems pretty competent.

“I’ve known Kevin Wilk for more than 30 years and his work speaks for itself,” said Redskins Head Athletic Trainer Ryan Vermillion. “He will be an invaluable part of our operation, providing our staff consultation on athletic performance and rehabilitation. Our goal is to be the best athletic training staff in professional sports and Kevin will help us achieve that goal.”

Kevin Wilk has worked with some of the biggest names in sports and has performed rehabilitation on Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Drew Brees, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Eli Manning, among many others.
They're going all-out to get Trent to come back, aren't they?

Goodbye Kevin O'Connell

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 26m26 minutes ago

#Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell has received permission to speak with other teams about potential offensive coordinator options, source said. A bright, up-and-coming coach, he will have opportunities.

The Giants just hired the Patriots WR coach to be their head coach. Cowboys just hired Mike McCarthy. We'll see how they work out but right now I'm not exactly trembling in fear.

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer

Source: The Redskins are hiring ex-Panthers assistant Scott Turner as their new offensive coordinator. They’re working on finalizing his contract now.

Good luck to Kevin O'Connell. https://thefandc.radio.com/kevin-oconnell-departs-as-redskins-hire-scott-turner

When Redskins offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell found out Ron Rivera was going to be Washington's head coach, he was excited and planned on staying in Washington after a trying year.

Rivera was high on O'Connell and the 34-year-old had heard great things about Rivera. The two talked and had terrific conversations, however as the process went forward it became clear the partnership was not going to work out. It did not come from O'Connell having a burning desire to leave, as he has a terrific relationship with Dwayne Haskins and would have loved the chance to keep working with him.

However, Rivera started hiring a number of coaches he had worked with in Carolina. As time went on, it was clear O'Connell would not get to fill out his own staff and the two had a discussion and determined they would move in separate directions. That eventual decision to go separate ways was cordial, and a source described the process as going "as good as these things can possibly go."
I can't blame him for leaving.

I was thinking about that.  I think an OC would like to hire some of the coaches on his staff.  So Turner makes a lot more sense since he has already worked with a number of these coaches.

The Redskins have parted ways with longtime executive Eric Schaffer, a move he confirmed via text. Schaffer spent 17 years with the organization, rising up to become their senior vice president of football operations/general counsel. He drew praise for how he handled their salary cap and contract negotations. He was expected to leave in May after failing to reach an agreement about a new role under Ron Rivera. "I'm excited about the future," Schaffer said. NFL Network first reported his ouster.
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41090093-4

I guess he's not staying until draft time after all. If I had to guess I'd say the reason for cutting him loose now is "too close to Bruce Allen." Never underestimate Allen's ability to undermine and sabotage things.

Time will tell as to whether all these moves (adding Turner, Rogers; losing O Connell, Shaffer, etc.) are good but one thing seems likely to me:  Rivera is the one directing these moves, not Snyder.  Haskins lobbied to keep O Connell, but Rivera wanted his own guy from Carolina.  Shaffer a long term Snyder guy, replaced with another Rivera contact from Carolina.  

In the end, even though I really like O Connell, this is why I'm ok with bringing Turner in.  Had Rivera come in and been forced to "keep the old guard" then we're back to Snyder running the show over the football people again.  The fact that Snyder is allowing Rivera to bring his own people in to the demise of some of his own people...that's a good sign.

Side note:  based on one random comment in Rivera's opening press conference, I heard some radio hacks claiming that "Snyder still had all say on personnel" but that does NOT appear to be the case...quite the opposite in fact.  This is one of the reasons I listen to less D.C. sports radio nowadays.

Like I said, time will tell if these are good moves.  In the meantime, I do like that Snyder is allowing Rivera to try it his way first...

As of right now, Kyle Smith is still in charge of college scouting and the draft. Doug Williams was promoted to Senior VP of player development. Malcolm Blacken promooted to Senior Director of Player Development. Since they've been promoted I assume Williams and Blacken will be remaining. I don't know what will happen with Smith after the draft.

Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman 19h19 hours ago

Malcolm Blacken has been in the lead player development role and will stay there working side by side with Doug Williams. He’s been promoted to Senior Director of Player Development.
Craig Hoffman‏Verified account @CraigHoffman

Still working on getting exactly the new description for Doug but the important thing is he’s no longer in charge of personnel. That will be a new person hired likely after the draft. For the meantime, Kyle Smith and Alex Santos are over college and pro depts.

MikeApf said:
Time will tell as to whether all these moves (adding Turner, Rogers; losing O Connell, Shaffer, etc.) are good but one thing seems likely to me:  Rivera is the one directing these moves, not Snyder.  Haskins lobbied to keep O Connell, but Rivera wanted his own guy from Carolina.  Shaffer a long term Snyder guy, replaced with another Rivera contact from Carolina.  

In the end, even though I really like O Connell, this is why I'm ok with bringing Turner in.  Had Rivera come in and been forced to "keep the old guard" then we're back to Snyder running the show over the football people again.  The fact that Snyder is allowing Rivera to bring his own people in to the demise of some of his own people...that's a good sign.

Side note:  based on one random comment in Rivera's opening press conference, I heard some radio hacks claiming that "Snyder still had all say on personnel" but that does NOT appear to be the case...quite the opposite in fact.  This is one of the reasons I listen to less D.C. sports radio nowadays.

Like I said, time will tell if these are good moves.  In the meantime, I do like that Snyder is allowing Rivera to try it his way first...
One note:  From the Washington Post, Rogers reports to Rivera.  I thought there was another front office hire that also reports to Rivera.  Rivera really is running everything.

One note:  From the Washington Post, Rogers reports to Rivera.  I thought there was another front office hire that also reports to Rivera.  Rivera really is running everything.
I believe it's either the new team doctor or new head trainer who reports to Rivera.

This sounds ... encouraging?

The Redskins promoted Kyle Smith to vice president of player personnel, continuing a remake of their front office under new coach Ron Rivera. He'll oversee both the pro and college personnel departments; it's similar to what Doug Williams had been doing. Smith had served as the director of college scouting since June of 2017. The Redskins have a strong base of players under 25 years old. Smith has been with the Redskins for 10 years, starting as an intern in 2010.

This sounds ... encouraging?
I just stopped by to post that. Yes, it's encouraging, at least to me. Kyle Smith's gotten nothing but good reviews for his college scouting and he's been there 10 years now.  With Bruce out of the way and Doug bumped up the chain of command to something that doesn't include personnel scouting, I don't think there's anyone better available than Smith.

"I have been impressed with Kyle’s track record and player evaluation process, and I’m confident in the vision we share for the future of the Washington Redskins,” Rivera said in a statement.

The statement isn't the first time Rivera complimented Smith. In his introductory press conference, Rivera spoke highly of the Redskins last three draft classes. Smith, with the title of Director of College Scouting, oversaw those three drafts. 

Now, Smith will take even more on, combining the pro personnel side with the college side. 
Smith could be in a strong position to build the Redskins. The team has the second overall pick in the draft and could easily go into free agency with more than $90 million in salary cap space. There are still plenty of questions, particularly at offensive line, where both Redskins starting guards are pending free agents (Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers) and star left tackle Trent Williams sat out the 2019 season. 

With Smith heading personnel and Rob Rogers now running contracts, the Redskins are prepared for the offseason. Alex Santos remains in his role as the director of pro personnel, a source confirmed, while Tim Gribble could be in line for a promotion. Gribble had served as assistant director of college scouting under Smith. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-make-another-major-front-office-move-time-promoting-kyle-smith

"There are still plenty of questions, particularly at offensive line, where both Redskins starting guards are pending free agents (Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers) and star left tackle Trent Williams sat out the 2019 season. "

One of the more interesting things this off season is how bad they want to try and turn Williams. Do they sell the farm trying to keep him, hamstring themselves everywhere else in the process?

DallasDMac said:
"There are still plenty of questions, particularly at offensive line, where both Redskins starting guards are pending free agents (Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers) and star left tackle Trent Williams sat out the 2019 season. "

One of the more interesting things this off season is how bad they want to try and turn Williams. Do they sell the farm trying to keep him, hamstring themselves everywhere else in the process?
At this point, makes sense to go with the charm offensive and see if the new team can win him back over. If by the time of free agency/draft it hasn't worked, that would be the time to move him.

Williams is under contract here. He's a legend here. He's loved by players and fans. It makes far more sense to try to get him to return. And it also makes sense to work with him to see if there actually is a helmet he can wear to play safely, since he had 1/3 of his scalp removed during the big scare. I don't think keeping him at his current salary level or slightly more hurts the team financially.

If he won't return then trade him for the best offer of course. But treat him like a damn human being while doing so instead of an ungrateful piece of meat.

And the team he's traded to will have to try to help him with the helmet issue. I do hope that is solvable; if not, his career is over.

More on Kyle Smith: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/13/redskins-continue-front-office-makeover-by-promoting-kyle-smith-vp-player-personnel/

A person with knowledge of the situation said Smith will be the highest-ranking member of the personnel department and work closely with Rivera in evaluating college and professional players.
Smith, 35, is considered a rising star in the NFL personnel world, especially since taking over the team’s drafts three years ago. Originally hired as an intern in 2010, Smith became a scout the next year and was promoted to scouting director in 2017. Fourteen of the Redskins’ regular starters last year came from the past three drafts, which also included several other promising players, such as running backs Derrius Guice and Bryce Love and wide receiver Trey Quinn, who have been held back by injuries.
Smith will have an immediate impact on Rivera’s front office, because the Redskins’ scouting department is already preparing for April’s draft. He is expected to lead the team’s contingent to next week’s Senior Bowl and is likely to have a prime role as the team makes key decisions on whether to keep several high-priced veterans before free agency begins in March.
His last 3 drafts have been pretty good (compared to what came before). And we're actually going to have a pro running the scouting show for us at the Senior Bowl.

Is this news, or is this Chris Cooley floating a story trying to get a job?

Chuck Sapienza‏ @chucksapienza 22h22 hours ago

I’m hearing scuttlebutt Chris Cooley may not return to the radio broadcast booth this season. Instead, Chris will be hired by #Redskins as a quality control offensive assistant coach on the staff of Ron Rivera.

I don’t know how i feel about this.  I haven’t always been a fan of cooleys vision over the years.  
Quality Control coaches are the low man on the totem pole. They do lots of grunt work and they are learning how to be coaches.  

Cooley has a radio personality and as a coach are really two different things.  

Of course, the Redskins announced their full coaching staff yesterday and Cooley was not on it.

More on Kyle Smith: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/13/redskins-continue-front-office-makeover-by-promoting-kyle-smith-vp-player-personnel/

His last 3 drafts have been pretty good (compared to what came before). And we're actually going to have a pro running the scouting show for us at the Senior Bowl.
I was looking at the past drafts here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/draft.htm

The last 3 do look solid.  I stated this before:  I don't think the Redskins talent level is that bad. But you need a QB to compete in today's NFL.  If Haskins develops this coming year and/or next, the Redskins turnaround could be pretty quick.  If Haskins does not develop, they will be a bottom 5 team for a while.

Note:  I think a quick turn around means returning to around 0.500.  Don't buy those playoff tickets yet.

Redskins deserve to be among the teams that are at the bottom in SB odds.  WAS, CIN, MIA, CAR, JAX, and DET.   Even if the D turns around, the QB is still Duane Haskins, the only RB that stays healthy is AP, they have no TE, they may lose Trent WIlliams, and the OL hasn't proven anything.  Other than McLaurin, there isn't an offensive weapon that can stay on the field.  Say Guice and say Reed.  And I'll show you 2 guys Vegas has seen play about 30 downs total in the last 2 years.

A good GM would be taking a hard look at Tua and Hebert.  If either was obviously better than Haskins, I'd be snagging one of them.  If they aren't guaranteed locks, then Chase Young or a trade down.  And a trade down may be possible.  Someone is gonna fall in love with Tua by the time April rolls around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. Really? They not aware of what’s going on in Carolina? 
Yeah, Carolina's gonna be really bad next year.  Luke Kuechly's retirement is really going to hurt an already vulnerable defense against the run.  The Dixie Kitties are in full rebuild mode.  

I still see the Skins as a double-digit loss team next year, especially since they will match up against the NFC West and AFC North in non-divisional matchups.   

Everyone seems to see the Skins taking Chase Young at 1.02 as a foregone conclusion.   But if Cinci falls in love with Young or some GM offers a king's ransom to move up to take Young, the BIG question becomes does Washington then take Joe Burrow?    I would think that the answer would be yes, though they could trade down for a lot of picks and still get a franchise left tackle like Jedrick Wills (yet another Bama guy).     

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase Young and Trent Williams would make them instantly not a bottom 5 team anymore. Obviously the improvement of Haskins, health of Guice and whatever other players they draft determine how much better than bottom 5.

So Dan Snyder has been to Annapolis for several meetings with lawmakers, asking the state to allow sports betting at a new stadium he'll build at the current site.

“He is willing to build his own stadium, but he wants sports betting to be a part of that,” said the lawmaker, who described Snyder’s pitch as a “veiled threat” to go to Virginia if he does not get a license.

“It wasn’t too high-pressured,” the lawmaker said of the discussion. “Most of the people in the room were Ravens fans, so it sort of fell on deaf ears.”

Another attendee summed up the team owner’s message as: “If you don’t give it, I’m leaving. If you give it, maybe I’ll stay.”
I can't think of anyone who'd be a worse negotiator for the team.

Some teams are already talking openly about the possibility of moving up in the first round.

This week, Chris Grier, the general manager of the Miami Dolphins — who hold the fifth pick, desire a franchise quarterback and have three first-round selections — said his team has “more than enough” capital to move up for Tagovailoa, should the team choose to do so. Because Washington drafted a quarterback in the first round of last year’s draft, Dwayne Haskins, and traded this year’s second-round pick as part of the deal that allowed it to pick pass rusher Montez Sweat with the 26th pick last spring, Miami’s picks could appeal to a Redskins team in need of upgrades at several roster spots.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/23/nfl-draft-process-gets-underway-redskins-own-valuable-asset/

Imagine if Miami talked themselves into offering all 3 of their 1st round picks for pick 1.02. That would give the Skins five 1st round picks in 2 years. Hard to see them offering that much, though.

Most of the scouting staff is at the Senior Bowl. From that last link:

On Tuesday, Redskins Coach Ron Rivera and several of his assistant coaches climbed into one of team owner Daniel Snyder’s private jets and flew here for meetings with Vice President of Player Personnel Kyle Smith and the team’s scouts. Though the new coaches are deep into analyzing last season’s game tapes, trying to assess the team they inherited, he also wanted the coaches to get out of the office for a day and build a bond with the team’s scouts.

For many of the scouts, Tuesday was their first chance to meet Rivera, who has been put in charge of the team’s football operations.

I read like the top 20 comments on the page and they all supported him. I guess the comments have changed since you posted. Maybe it ebbs and flows, I don't know. Only time I ever see Twitter is when someone posts a link here.
Trust me you aren’t missing much from twitter.  Yea sounds like the reaction has changed.

Trust me you aren’t missing much from twitter.  Yea sounds like the reaction has changed.
Thanks. Trust me, I don't feel I am missing anything. I tend to find social media to be a festering cesspool. I just wanted to point out I could have easily been misreading stuff since I don't follow Twitter other than what I see linked here. 

Thanks. Trust me, I don't feel I am missing anything. I tend to find social media to be a festering cesspool. I just wanted to point out I could have easily been misreading stuff since I don't follow Twitter other than what I see linked here. 
Good for you and same here. 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread