Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins Thread - Offseason starts now - Next group of fresh meat on the way

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

leaving as in leaving the team?  that would be great!  

No. Taking the team to Virginia.

7 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Guice getting absolutely destroyed right now on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dhasickest/status/1220960060991557638?s=21

I read like the top 20 comments on the page and they all supported him. I guess the comments have changed since you posted. Maybe it ebbs and flows, I don't know. Only time I ever see Twitter is when someone posts a link here.

16 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I read like the top 20 comments on the page and they all supported him. I guess the comments have changed since you posted. Maybe it ebbs and flows, I don't know. Only time I ever see Twitter is when someone posts a link here.

Trust me you aren’t missing much from twitter.  Yea sounds like the reaction has changed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Trust me you aren’t missing much from twitter.  Yea sounds like the reaction has changed.

Thanks. Trust me, I don't feel I am missing anything. I tend to find social media to be a festering cesspool. I just wanted to point out I could have easily been misreading stuff since I don't follow Twitter other than what I see linked here. 

45 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Thanks. Trust me, I don't feel I am missing anything. I tend to find social media to be a festering cesspool. I just wanted to point out I could have easily been misreading stuff since I don't follow Twitter other than what I see linked here. 

Good for you and same here. 👍🏼

Two recent starting CB's which we gave away for almost nothing just made key interceptions on their way to a Super Bowl win. 🤬

• Like 1

on to next year

KC +600

BAL/SF +800

NO +1000

NE +1100

LAC/GB +1600

DAL +1800

PIT +2200

ATL/CHI/LAR/SEA +2500

PHI +2800

MIN/TEN +3000

IND/CLE +3300

LVR/HOU +3500

BUF +4000

DEN/JAX/TB +5000

CIN +5500

CAR/NYG +6600

DET +7000

NYJ +7500

ARI +8000

MIA +12500

WAS +15000 :shrug:

Vernon Davis retired. Official announcement is this week. Carolina is releasing Greg Olsen, so you know what that means --- signing a often-injured veteran TE for Washington. I was complaining about that and my grandson said "they'll probably sign Hunter Henry too - he's the white Jordan Reed".

I didn't hear the interview but read and heard enough about it to say that Alex Smith's health problems since the broken leg have been far, far more serious than we knew. Sepsis set in, and that stuff can kill you.

Smith developed sepsis, a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is fighting infection. As his medical team fought to save his life, he was under heavy sedation for pain and his memories of the early stages were limited. But there was another decision that was yet to come.

Smith told Schaap, "... [the] next thing I remember is waking up several weeks later faced with the decision of amputation or limb salvage at that point."

Smith chose to save his leg, a process that required additional surgeries, and he was eventually cleared of all infection

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/28612793/redskins-qb-alex-smith-very-much-lucky-alive-broken-leg

From what I understand "limb salvage" involves replacing part of his bone with either a bone from another body, with metal, or with both.

Quinton Dunbar has requested a trade or release.   I'd have no problem letting him go for a 3rd.  Cut Norman.  Rebuilt the DBs.   I really don't think he is all that good even though PFF grades him high.  Protected by how little teams need to attack him to beat WAS.

Same for Trent.  Great player but getting too old for where WAS is right now.  Trade him for whatever.  I'm not even sure other teams will want him much given his medical and potential suspension for another failed drug test.  Probably can get a 2nd.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

I wonder if PFF is like Zillow where some people try to use it to their advantage for negotiations. I keep hearing how they rank Dunbar highly but I can’t imagine GMs agree with that ranking and he’d never be considered top 5 or wherever he ranks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Seeing talk of a potential trade Khalil Mack and picks for the number 2....

I hope not. Mack didn't have a huge year this year, and the Bears have the fifth-worst point value for their draft class in this year's draft. 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, fatness said:

I didn't hear the interview but read and heard enough about it to say that Alex Smith's health problems since the broken leg have been far, far more serious than we knew. Sepsis set in, and that stuff can kill you.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/28612793/redskins-qb-alex-smith-very-much-lucky-alive-broken-leg

From what I understand "limb salvage" involves replacing part of his bone with either a bone from another body, with metal, or with both.

I’m all about admiring the attempts to return from injury but this strikes me as a cash out situation 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgreen said:

I wonder if PFF is like Zillow where some people try to use it to their advantage for negotiations. I keep hearing how they rank Dunbar highly but I can’t imagine GMs agree with that ranking and he’d never be considered top 5 or wherever he ranks. 

I couldn't agree more. Before someone jumps in to tell me, I know PFF watches every single play.

Wish we could get a poll of every WAS die hard fan(not just FBG) to guess where Dunbar would have been rated the 4th best cornerback in the NFL. People throw these PFF rankings around like they just got posted from Mt. Sinai but at some point somebody with an ounce of common sense needs to say, "Wait, WTF are you talking about?!". 

If Dunbar is a top 4 CB in this league(at his age) then they should be able to get a kings ransom by trading him.... right?

11 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

I couldn't agree more. Before someone jumps in to tell me, I know PFF watches every single play.

Wish we could get a poll of every WAS die hard fan(not just FBG) to guess where Dunbar would have been rated the 4th best cornerback in the NFL. People throw these PFF rankings around like they just got posted from Mt. Sinai but at some point somebody with an ounce of common sense needs to say, "Wait, WTF are you talking about?!". 

If Dunbar is a top 4 CB in this league(at his age) then they should be able to get a kings ransom by trading him.... right?

I don't think so.  Any trade would mean a new contract for Q.  And that contract means he has far less trade value. 

The top 20 CBs in the league all make > $10M per year.  No way someone is paying Q $12M PLUS giving up a 1sr or 2nd for the privilege of doing that.  He's never proven he can lock down a #1.  He will forever have the "drafted as a WR" tag.  He's not particularly fast.  And he played for one of the worst defenses in the league.

My guess (and it's completely a guess) is that a 3rd and a mid-level disgruntled player are the return package.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

I doubt NFL Talent Evaluators are using the PFF site.

9 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I doubt NFL Talent Evaluators are using the PFF site.

Well, I do think that PFF data is probably used by some teams out there(if nothing else I can see CIN using it to save a buck).

My overall point is PFF completely off the rails sometimes. I'm not against what they are trying to do, and I actually enjoy some of their content(especially their offseason podcast/youtube content for instance). It's just that a lot of people use their info as "THE" standard to measure a player, instead of "A" opinion on a player. If PFF is arguing that Dunbar is CB#4 in the entire NFL.... I don't think most thinking people can take them all that seriously.

10 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

My guess (and it's completely a guess) is that a 3rd and a mid-level disgruntled player are the return package.

I would take that in a heartbeat if my other option was paying Dunbar ~10mil+ per season in some multi-year-monstrosity of a contract.

Bye, Josh.

Now, if only they'd follow suit with Jordan, and figure out a way to get something in return for Trent, Dunbar and anyone else that's either past their prime, overpaid or doesn't want to be a Redskin...

1 hour ago, nittanylion said:

Bye, Josh.

Now, if only they'd follow suit with Jordan, and figure out a way to get something in return for Trent, Dunbar and anyone else that's either past their prime, overpaid or doesn't want to be a Redskin...

And bye Richardson, another good move. And yes, I do wish Reed would just retire (for HIS health) and then let's either sign Trent and Dunbar to extensions that are friendly or get some good picks for them. Definitely like the direction the team is headed with the new staff. 

Today's cuts: Josh Norman, Paul Richardson, Chris Odom, Kenny Ladler. I don't know much about Odom or Ladler but I highly approve cutting Richardson and Norman.

And I'll go against the grain here and say they should keep Dunbar. He's there best corner, nobody on the coaching staff doubts that. And Redskin fans have a history of not knowing how their players stack up against players of another team. They also have a history of being eager to boot DB's too quickly (Carlos Rogers is a flagrant example of this).  DB is a tough tough position and anyone playing it is going to get exposed multiple times in a season in ways that look horrible on film. That doesn't mean they're all replaceable bums. Norman had dropped off so much he had to go. Dunbar's their best and they should make every effort to sign him.

There's been no contact yet between the front office and Jordan Reed regarding his status per John Keim. They cannot possibly let him play here next year with his concussion history. I don't care if he's willing to play or not --- at some points in boxers' careers they've sustained too many blows to the head and letting them continue is too dangerous. That's where Reed is. Hopefully they'll work out an injury settlement.

I've heard nothing about Kerrigan. At the dollars he'd be wanting there's no way they can keep him in a lesser role (assuming they draft Chase Young and he's the real deal). I like Kerrigan and I'd like to keep him, but other teams will sign him to big bucks to ba a starter and I don't think he's worth what other teams will pay him.

Greg Olsen is talking contract with the Bills, Seahawks, and Redskins.

Ravens released S Tony Jefferson. He was their starter for 2 -1/2 seasons before getting injured. Chuck Clark replace him and took his starting job away. Skins should talk to him.

J P Finlay

Norman was largely misused in man coverage when he excels playing zone, but at this point, none of that mattered.  It was time for Norman's bloated salary off the books, and Rivera made the move that demanded to be made. 

The decision to cut Richardson was about a lack of production, and more importantly, that the new regime does not need to try to fix previous mistakes. Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen signed Richardson to a five-year, $40 million deal two years ago. They had to make it work, and when it was clear that it wasn't working, they had to try some more, results be damned. 

here will be more cuts - Jordan Reed seems likely to be at the top of the list. There is some question on how that will happen due to Reed's medical concerns, and perhaps the team will reach an injury settlement with the tight end.

The team desperately needs cornerbacks now, and that will be a target. Tight end too. When the new NFL year opens in mid-March, Washington could have more than $75 million in cap space. That gives the team options. 

When Valentine's Day started, the Redskins looked to be in good salary cap position with nearly $40 million in spending space. By the time Valentine's Day ends, the Redskins will be in great salary cap position.  The team released four players on Friday: Josh Norman, Paul Richardson, Chris Odom and Kenny Ladler. All told, that creates another $16 million in cap space, meaning Washington should have at least $55 million to spend when free agency opens next month. 

The moves vault the Redskins from the middle of the league in available cap room into the Top 10 of the NFL, about equal to the Texans with $55 million in space and just behind the Giants at $62 million. 

Keep in mind there are likely more cost-saving moves coming in Washington. Releasing veteran tight end Jordan Reed could create another $8.5 million in cap space, and should that happen, the Redskins would leap frog the Giants and the Broncos in cap space and be sitting with the sixth-most cap room in the NFL with $63 million.  Veterans Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams combine for a cap figure of about $25 million. Williams didn't play in 2019 and Kerrigan missed time to injury for the first time in his career. It's doubtful that both or maybe even either player gets released, but if a trade or restructured contract happens with either guy, there could be even more cap savings for the organization.  Expect the Redskins to be active in free agency with cornerback and tight end a significant need.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/after-cuts-redskins-enter-nfls-top-10-cap-space-ahead-free-agency

Landon Collins on his first talk with del Rio:

"He said, 'Now, there are some things I need you to change up in your game,'" Collins explained. "And I was like, 'All right, cool, yeah.' And that's what I love about him: He was straightforward with me. Don't beat around the bush... My best seasons came when I heard that from my coaches."

Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed remains in the NFL’s concussion protocol nearly six months after suffering the injury in the third preseason game of 2019. Reed is expected to be cleared soon, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity, but he is expected to be released once cleared.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/17/jordan-reed-still-concussion-protocol-expected-be-released-after-being-cleared/

JP Finlay . @JPFinlayNBCS . Feb 17

Checked in with some folks about Jordan Reed’s status - Even in concussion protocol Redskins can release him. Reed could be eligible for CBA's injury protection benefit of $1.2M if he isn't cleared to play in 2020. His contract also might contain some injury guarantees.

John Keim . @john_keim . Feb 17

This is true. They do not have to reach an injury settlement with him. If released, he's then entitled to the injury protection benefit. If Reed wants to retire, makes sense to wait until after collecting this benefit to announce.

John Keim . @john_keim . Feb 17

One more note: Yes, he can file a grievance but b/c it's a 2019 injury (he was paid) and b/c his 2020 contract isn't guaranteed, not entitled to 1.2. if cut, might be entitled to extended inj protection in 2021 (last yr of deal). would be around 600K. cutting b4 cleared triggers

JP Finlay . @JPFinlayNBCS . 9h

Think about this: In December 2015, Reed went off. 30 catches for 411 yards and 5 TDs. In one month.

In all of 2019, the Redskins tight ends accounted for 44 catches, 467 yards and 3 TDs. In a full season. Reed was really good.

• Like 1

Greg Olsen signed with the Seahawks. Our next TE(s) will have to come via free agency, trade, or the draft.

12 hours ago, fatness said:

Greg Olsen signed with the Seahawks. Our next TE(s) will have to come via free agency, trade, or the draft.

Seattle now has a plethora of injury-prone TEs that they would be willing to sell to some sucker.  Sounds like a perfect fit.

Skins exercised Peterson's option. Will cost them $2.25 million this year and count $3 million against the cap. Good move, with no other proven non-frequently-injured RB's on the roster.

12 minutes ago, fatness said:

Skins exercised Peterson's option. Will cost them $2.25 million this year and count $3 million against the cap. Good move, with no other proven non-frequently-injured RB's on the roster.

Love this move.  If he can be 85% of what he was last year I’m with it.  And hopefully we continue to ease Guice back again and see if he can stay healthy.

More Jordan Reed news:

Ben Standig . @BenStandig

Redskins TE Jordan Reed has been cleared from the league's concussion protocol program, a source tells @TheAthleticDC. . Expectations remain that Washington releases Reed, who missed the entire 2019 season.

JP Finlay . @JPFinlayNBCS . 35m

I’ve also heard that Jordan Reed is ready for a fresh start, presumably with another team. Will be interesting to see what his market is if/when the Redskins release him.

So he's cleared and under contract. Sounds more like they should trade him (to get out from under his contract) than release him. Of course, nobody else may want that contract.......

• Laughing 1

Nice to hear Rivera say the obvious:

"The fan base is really strong. It's been a little dormant. We gotta bring it back."

1 hour ago, fatness said:

More Jordan Reed news:

So he's cleared and under contract. Sounds more like they should trade him (to get out from under his contract) than release him. Of course, nobody else may want that contract.......

There's only one team in the league that could be swindled into that kind of trade, and that's the one he's currently rostered on.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, tangfoot said:

There's only one team in the league that could be swindled into that kind of trade, and that's the one he's currently rostered on.

I don't disagree with you, although I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys take a flyer on him.

So far all moves that were expected and common sense (unlike the last GM).  These were all right moves.

Now it's time to see what happens to Trent, Kerrigan, Dunbar, and the #2 pick.  There's probably no right or wrong answer.  Just fun to watch what direction they go.

Jordan Reed released. I don't believe they owe him any money or injury settlement. They saved $8.5 million on the cap.

Better than that, he didn't die on their field. I'm glad they chose to not let him play for them any more. Some teams will want to sign him though and let him keep getting concussed. Ugly business.

John Keim . @john_keim . 4h

some keys here on Reed: Skins save 8.5 mil vs. the cap. have freed up 23.5 mil this offseason and have around 63 mil in cap space. Also, was told Wed that Reed wants to "100 percent" continue playing. Asked a coach other day if many would want. "For sure."

Edited by fatness

Burgundy Blog . @BurgundyBlog . 5h

Reed finally cut. So here's my guess. #Redskins were ready to move on, but willing to wait until he cleared protocol to avoid any injury payout. Reed realized it's better to be cut sooner than later. And voila! Patient and doctors all became satisfied that he's now fully healthy.