Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins Thread - Offseason starts now - Next group of fresh meat on the way

Regarding Davis and Holcomb:

John Keim . @john_keim

Yes. (Noted on podcast a few weeks back would either be WLB/SLB. After getting Davis means would be SLB). They like him.

Donnell . @D_Wright_One

Do they view Holcomb as a SLB?

1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

You make some good points, but I disagree with the take. Haskins was a mid first for a reason, and even then was panned as a reach. He put some nasty nfl tape down, and showed some improvement as the season progressed, but was hardly great vs some pretty bad teams. The surrounding cast was admittedly bad. All that said, yeah, you had one year of college tape and 1/2 a year of nfl tape. I take blue chip QB whose tape looks more promising. 

I'll take Haskins over Tua who does get injured a bit, whose current physical status isn't fully known and won't be for awhile due to virus measures,  and who hasn't played in the league yet. I think Haskins will pick up where he left off last year,  look more confident each game and keep progressing. I like watcing him out there. The ball just flies out of his hand.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fatness said:

I'll take Haskins over Tua who does get injured a bit, whose current physical status isn't fully known and won't be for awhile due to virus measures,  and who hasn't played in the league yet. I think Haskins will pick up where he left off last year,  look more confident each game and keep progressing. I like watcing him out there. The ball just flies out of his hand.

Well sounds like I did exactly what the Washington’s would do, anger their fans. 

• Laughing 1

To be fair, I was really hoping to trade back for you guys, but I personally think Tua is the better prospect, but I also didn’t like the pick for Washington so that plays into it as well I’m sure, but hey, I’m the new GM and have no ties to Haskins. 

Seems like DET has more or less painted themselves into a "corner"(pun intended) by signing Trufant before they were able to deal Slay. That puts them in the same position the Skins are at with Williams, player has wanted to get traded for a full year and seems desperate to get out of town. Skins have a desperate need for a CB even after signing Kendall Fuller. DET always needs help on the OL and maybe now DET realizes just how bad it can get if Stafford goes down again. Both teams seem to want too much compensation for any team that has to give the player an extension.

They seem like natural trade partners? At least both players could start contract negotiations at ground zero with a new franchise that needs their services.

9 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

They seem like natural trade partners? At least both players could start contract negotiations at ground zero with a new franchise that needs their services.

Slay's signing with the Eagles.

Tom Brady wants to know what’s the latest on Trent Williams?

1 minute ago, Grahamburn said:

Tom Brady wants to know what’s the latest on Trent Williams?

Google says the Skins want a second and Trent wants $20M per. Oof. 

Redskins sign Logan Thomas, TE. Redskins sign J. D. McKissic, RB. I don't know a lot about either of those guys.

Redskins re-signed Nate Orchard, LB. He made quite an impression in his first game.

Redskins signed Sean Davis, S.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fatness said:

Redskins sign Logan Thomas, TE. Redskins sign J. D. McKissic, RB. I don't know a lot about either of those guys.

Redskins re-signed Nate Orchard, LB. He made quite an impression in his first game.

Redskins signed Sean Davis, S.

Scarily, Logan Thomas is probably still a better QB than TE.  I'm guessing he catches 1 ball a game if lucky.  Which shows how little he has developed as a TE.  Probably a #2 TE at best.   

Honestly they could make him the 3rd string QB behind Haskins and a vet, plus the #2 pass catching TE option. 

Edited by Brunell4MVP

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fatness said:

Slay's signing with the Eagles.

Well, he's under contract right now. He may get traded to the Eagles, which is all the more reason WAS should be interested in sniping him imo.

Ah, just saw that there's been a trade. If the rumors are correct that's an awfully big contract anyway.

Edited by BoltBacker

Posted (edited)

Signed OT Cornelius Lucas.  Don't know him.  Good depth so this says.   Money seems reasonable.  6'9'  328lbs.    How'd you like to take that on?  He eats 250 pounders like me for breakfast.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/3/19/21187355/redskins-2020-free-agency-ot-cornelius-lucas-signs-2-year-5-3-million-deal

Edited by Brunell4MVP

I think they're hoping he'll be an adequate tackle at both tackle positions. UDFA, 16 starts in 6 seasons.

Keenum signed with the Browns. McCoy signed with the Giants. When Daniel Jones throws 4 INT in one game Giant fans will start talking about McCoy as a starter, lol.

So we have one QB on the roster (not counting Alex Smith)?

Will be interesting to see how they fill out other QB spots.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, BoltBacker said:

Well, he's under contract right now. He may get traded to the Eagles, which is all the more reason WAS should be interested in sniping him imo.

Ah, just saw that there's been a trade. If the rumors are correct that's an awfully big contract anyway.

our secondary made Haskins look good. We had to pay whatever it took.

11 hours ago, dgreen said:

I would hope it's another developmental guy in the draft(assuming they don't land Cam cheap). Most people hate Winston but he still has all the tools, a lot more physical tools than Tannehill has ever had and he somehow revived his career. I don't think he's getting a starting job and he may even be willing to take slightly less money if he thinks he has a chance to leap-frog an unproven Haskins.

At least Colt McCoy signed with the Giants so mercifully he won't be the 34yo developmental QB that Gruden has all the confidence in the world.... right up until it's time for him to actually get into a game and then panic mode sets in. It can only get better from there.

11 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

our secondary made Haskins look good. We had to pay whatever it took.

He, and his contract extension, make more sense for the Eagles than he did the Redskins. The Redskins don't need to be signing extensions giving a 30-something CB $12mil/season.

Kendall Fuller isn't nearly as good as Slay and Fuller signed for more than I thought was warranted but at least he's young enough he could help the rebuild and still be around when the team turns around. I would have liked to have seen the Redskins sign Kevin Johnson and Darqueze Dennard given the contracts they signed. The Redskins cupboards are so bare at CB they need multiple additions this offseason and I hate seeing any team going into a draft where they HAVE TO fill a position rather than taking the best player available. There are still some FA's out there that could help the Redskins imo: Darby, Rhodes, Breeland, Burns, Worley. None of them should break the bank but they all have a chance to at least contribute in a very CB friendly system. 

2 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

There are still some FA's out there that could help the Redskins imo: Darby, Rhodes, Breeland, Burns, Worley. None of them should break the bank but they all have a chance to at least contribute in a very CB friendly system. 

I still do not understand why they were so keen on letting Breeland go and why they're not (apparently) bringing him back.

15 hours ago, dgreen said:

This is very interesting IMO.  Assuming they draft Young, how do they get a backup?  I would have thought Winston but that doesn't seem to be happening.   After him, none of the FA QBs look all that enticing.   Do you really want Matt Moore at 38 as the backup?  What's the point in that?

They could use a 3rd/4th round pick on a Jake Fromm/Jalen Hurts/ Nate Stanley type.  The offense is gonna stink anyway.  I'd rather have a rookie flyer at backup than a veteran and if they are pushed into service, see how they do.

Brian Hoyer just got cut. I imagine they'll pick up someone like him and draft a rookie.

Sudfeld re-signed with the Eagles. Too bad, it would be good to get him back.

8 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

They could use a 3rd/4th round pick on a Jake Fromm/Jalen Hurts/ Nate Stanley type.  The offense is gonna stink anyway.  I'd rather have a rookie flyer at backup than a veteran and if they are pushed into service, see how they do.

This. They aren't going to suddenly be playoff contenders. They don't need someone to just "not lose" games at this point. Might as well have a development-type guy back there and get him some playing time.

I think its going to feel really nice when Dunbar and Trent are gone from our roster. If they don't want to be here good riddance. I just hope we stand firm and get fair market value for them or let them sit out if they are so inclined. No reason to give away assets. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, fatness said:

I still do not understand why they were so keen on letting Breeland go and why they're not (apparently) bringing him back.

At the time this is one time where Breeland probably got good advice from an agent. He did sign a contract with BAL that was likely more than WAS offered. He also had a lot of interest from several teams at that time. After the failed physical and the Breeland injury the bottom fell out of his market. Maybe there are still bad feelings from the "good 'ol" days with Bruce Allen negotiating contracts? 

21 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

I think its going to feel really nice when Dunbar and Trent are gone from our roster. If they don't want to be here good riddance. I just hope we stand firm and get fair market value for them or let them sit out if they are so inclined. No reason to give away assets. 

I agree. Give Scherff the big deal that he's earned, move on from the bad apples that don't really want to be on the team.

Disagree about "fair market value". Teams know you are trying to move both. The only way you get fair market value is to wait for other teams to get injuries and they suddenly have a dire need imo. Well, except for Dunbar. I just don't think he's all that good. If PFF can convince ANYONE that Dunbar is the second best CB in the NFL I have a bridge to sell them. At some point you just move forward with the new regime and with people that all are at least willing to row in the same direction to start the season. If it means drafting an OT because you know Williams won't be there that has some value over mulling over the decision to draft a replacement because you just aren't sure if Williams caves in week #3 to return to the team disgruntled.

It's a new team, a new direction, and they are starting from the point of being the second worst team in the NFL. From here you would almost have to make a concerted effort to fall anywhere but forward.

23 hours ago, fatness said:

Glad they are shopping Dunbar.

I dunno about the medical staff experience. Sure, I believe it's true. Probably true of at least two dozen players on every NFL roster every year I would guess. That medical staff seemed like it was awful for multiple reasons but this account sounds like going 65mph in a 60mph zone to me.

Posted (edited)

Redskins trade a 5th for Kyle Allen , QB.   Can't say I like this deal much.  Don't have much faith in Kyle Allen relative to a rookie QB they could have picked with a 5th.

Looks like Rivera brought in his own Colt McCoy.  Knows the offense.  Not happy to sit the bench but likely to do it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28943325/redskins-get-qb-kyle-allen-trade-panthers

ETA: He only makes $675K this year, and has no more years on his contract.  I guess that's a positive.  Cheap labor.  But CAR was likely to cut him June 1 if WAS had waited it out.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Redskins trade a 5th for Kyle Allen , QB.   Can't say I like this deal much.  Don't have much faith in Kyle Allen relative to a rookie QB they could have picked with a 5th.

Looks like Rivera brought in his own Colt McCoy.  Knows the offense.  Not happy to sit the bench but likely to do it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28943325/redskins-get-qb-kyle-allen-trade-panthers

I hope that was what it was about, a coach on the sidelines...but still, a 5th for that seems way too much. First bad move by the new regime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

ETA: He only makes $675K this year, and has no more years on his contract.  I guess that's a positive.  Cheap labor.  But CAR was likely to cut him June 1 if WAS had waited it out.

With NOTHING going on right now I don't really know what the rush was on this move either. There's definitely a chance a new regime in CAR would have drafted their own developmental QB anyway. At least wait until after the draft and make it a conditional 2021 pick. 

A lot of folks will say, "Well, it's a 5th who gives a...." but when you are the second worst team in the NFL a 5th rounder absolutely could make the team. Especially this draft where there is likely to be more diamonds found in the rough in the later rounds if there are fewer pro-days, med checks, etc.

50 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Dunbar to the seahawks.  Anyone know what we got?

A 5th. So basically they traded Dunbar for Allen and move down in the 5th.

32 minutes ago, dgreen said:

oof

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dgreen said:

As much as I dislike them giving up a 5th for Allen, I'm not so sure you can look at it this simply.   Allen is 1 year for $675K and obviously wants to be with this coach.  He comes off the books after a year if they want him to.  Dunbar wanted a new 3 year deal in the $10M+ per year range for a #2 CB.  They pretty much had to unload him for anything they could to get out of a contract mess that would have lingered into the season.

Sadly I think Trent WIlliams will be like a 3rd.  Once other teams know you want to unload a player, it's hard to get anything back (unless you are trading with O'Brien)

ETA:  The Skins still have like $36M in cap space.  And $110M in 2021.  If they get some more 1 year vet contracts they could actually be in a great situation come next offseason.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

As much as I dislike them giving up a 5th for Allen, I'm not so sure you can look at it this simply.   Allen is 1 year for $675K and obviously wants to be with this coach.  He comes off the books after a year if they want him to.  Dunbar wanted a new 3 year deal in the $10M+ per year range for a #2 CB.  They pretty much had to unload him for anything they could to get out of a contract mess that would have lingered into the season.

Sadly I think Trent WIlliams will be like a 3rd.  Once other teams know you want to unload a player, it's hard to get anything back (unless you are trading with O'Brien)

ETA:  The Skins still have like $36M in cap space.  And $110M in 2021.  If they get some more 1 year vet contracts they could actually be in a great situation come next offseason.

Agreed. Addition by subtraction. Dunbar could likely play better in SEA as they have made some corners better over their careers, but paying Dunbar 3yr/$33+mil to play in the Rivera defense would have been a much, much bigger mistake imo. Or having a sub-par secondary(which it would be with Norman/Dunbar/Deon Sanders/anyone else at this point) and all season long having the team drilled with questions when Dunbar is coming back like they did last season with Williams would be poison for the new regime. 

25 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

We signed Peyton barber.  2yr/$3M

So do we have confirmation that Guice's legs have completely detached with no way to put him back together?  Because that may be the only legitimate reason to sign Barber.

I checked magic 8-ball

"did Derrius Guice's legs fall off?"

My sources say no

So still unsure about the Barber signing.

• Laughing 1

27 minutes ago, popeye said:

So do we have confirmation that Guice's legs have completely detached with no way to put him back together?  Because that may be the only legitimate reason to sign Barber.

Or AP decided to return home to his alien planet. Or Love is having problems. Something has to be up. 

22 minutes ago, popeye said:

I checked magic 8-ball

"did Derrius Guice's legs fall off?"

My sources say no

So still unsure about the Barber signing.

They found some change under the couch cushion to get Barber. This signing isnt anything about Guice. 

Just now, ffmail4me said:

Or AP decided to return home to his alien planet. Or Love is having problems. Something has to be up. 

Just depth. Redskins let go of the one guy right? I forget his name, the one who caught a lot of passes.

Just now, cloppbeast said:

Just depth. Redskins let go of the one guy right? I forget his name, the one who caught a lot of passes.

Chris Thompson

28 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

But they also signed McKissic last week and while not a lot of money he got $1m guaranteed. Barber got $600K guaranteed so you have to think plan is for them to make the team.

33 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Something has to be up. 

Agree because I can't remember a team rostering 5 RB's and I don't think they paid those two they just signed to be camp bodies. Got to wonder if they don't have trade in works for someone. Obviously Love's knee being shot could be an issue though I've read some fairly positive things and rostering 4 RB's is kind of heavy in today's NFL even if we eliminate Love.

• Like 1

Not much guaranteed cash for Peyton.  Good depth and competition 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Peyton signing makes me guess that Bryce Love's injury is worse than expected and he's headed back to the PUP or even cut.  Lot's of GM's wouldn't touch him in the draft cause he needed another surgery.  And reports were he is more a college level workhorse whose hard work and smarts can't necessarily overcome his lack of athletic skills and poor hands, at least at the NFL level.  It's too bad if that's the case.  Can't see a reason not to like the guy.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

23 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Peyton signing makes me guess that Bryce Love's injury is worse than expected and he's headed back to the PUP or even cut.  

I don't think it says anything other than Rivera can't count on Guice/a 35yo Peterson/Love to play a full season. 

Today they signed Latimer and I think it was the same type of signing. He just wants bodies to compete for jobs in camp. Probably also wants to go into the draft without a DESPERATE need at certain positions. Still think they are absolutely desperate at CB right now even after the Fuller signing.

Kevin Johnson 1yr/$3.5mil

Jalen Mills 1yr/$4mil

Darqueze Dennard 3yr/$13.5mil

..... are a few of the guys I think they should have been interested in. I'd still be curious to see how much Ronald Darby, Xavier Rhodes, and Daryl Worley sign for. Worley even has experience in the Rivera defense.

• Like 1

Just noticed Greg Manusky got a new job.  Quality Control Assistant at University of Kentucky.   Yowzers.  That's a long fall.