What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

UFA

Terrance Knighton - No problem with bringing him back. Not sure I'd make it a super long deal, maybe 2-3 years.
Colt McCoy - Sure why not
Logan Paulsen - Need TE depth and he's a good blocker
Darrel Young - Personally, would love to have him back. But he isn't utilized properly in the new system
Kedric Golston - Meh. Been here awhile, but think he's replaceable
Alex Smith - Maybe only if we can't re-sign Paulsen
Pierre Thomas - Like what he did down the stretch, but that's what Thompson is for
Will Blackmon - Nice find off the streets and would bring him back
Cary Williams - Camp body at best?
Mason Foster - Definitely
Brian De la Puente - Meh
Junior Galette - What love to see he and Kerrigan paired together
Josh LeRibeus - Nope
Frank Kearse - Meh
Kirk Cousins - He'll be back, just question of for how long and how much. Would prefer a team friendly deal that's easy to escape in case old Kirk shows back up
Keenan Robinson - Like him in 2014, bust this season. Maybe some cheap 1yr prove it deal
Alfred Morris - Would love for him to be back. Just not sure he fits with the new run style

RFA

Duke Ihenacho - Hasn't stayed healthy since he's been here, but has some potential
Tom Compton - Meh

ERFA (exclusive rights RFA)

Chris Thompson - His speed is very useful
Will Compton - Sure why not
Tress Way - Best punter we've had in awhile, bring him back
Liked Junior Galette's exit interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwCZ8XYffA

I too am really looking forward to seeing what he can do next year as I think this is one area where we can truly ratchet up the defense...

thayman said:
Although wasn't Ihenatcho supposedly a really good signing? He was supposed to anchor the secondary I thought but I could be remembering that wrong.
Yeah, I think they were expecting some good things from him.

It will be interesting to see what happens at safety. Goldson has a good contract for cutting someone (no dead money with about $8M in savings), but I think they like him. I also think they are still interested in Hall at safety, so we'll have to see what they do there.

UFA

Terrance Knighton - No problem with bringing him back. Not sure I'd make it a super long deal, maybe 2-3 years.
Colt McCoy - Sure why not
Logan Paulsen - Need TE depth and he's a good blocker
Darrel Young - Personally, would love to have him back. But he isn't utilized properly in the new system
Kedric Golston - Meh. Been here awhile, but think he's replaceable
Alex Smith - Maybe only if we can't re-sign Paulsen
Pierre Thomas - Like what he did down the stretch, but that's what Thompson is for
Will Blackmon - Nice find off the streets and would bring him back
Cary Williams - Camp body at best?
Mason Foster - Definitely
Brian De la Puente - Meh
Junior Galette - What love to see he and Kerrigan paired together
Josh LeRibeus - Nope
Frank Kearse - Meh
Kirk Cousins - He'll be back, just question of for how long and how much. Would prefer a team friendly deal that's easy to escape in case old Kirk shows back up
Keenan Robinson - Like him in 2014, bust this season. Maybe some cheap 1yr prove it deal
Alfred Morris - Would love for him to be back. Just not sure he fits with the new run style

RFA

Duke Ihenacho - Hasn't stayed healthy since he's been here, but has some potential
Tom Compton - Meh

Chris Thompson - His speed is very useful
Will Compton - Sure why not
Tress Way - Best punter we've had in awhile, bring him back
Liked Junior Galette's exit interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwCZ8XYffA

I too am really looking forward to seeing what he can do next year as I think this is one area where we can truly ratchet up the defense...
great interview.

Anyone think Jordan Reed makes it through next season uninjured?

TE is a weakness. None of them can run block and it affected the run game greatly. They have to be able to run.
Paul and Paulsen potentially back from injury, though, right?
Yes, but blocking was a weakness for them before they were hurt. Paul tries hard but at his best he's average at blocking. Paulsen, though previously known as the blocking TE, had slipped badly in blocking his last healthy year.

This new guy Alex Smith may be their best TE blocker.

Looks like Paulsen is a UFA.

Full list:

UFA

Terrance Knighton --- yes
Colt McCoy --- don't think he'll come back, he wants to coach more than he wants to sit on a bench
Logan Paulsen --- no, bad blocker, slow
Darrel Young --- yes, loved by teammates, mentor for some, can still block and catch when given half a chance
Kedric Golston --- has been with the team forever, good spot backup if they don't find someone better; one year the front office will be talking over who to keep and who to cut and Golston's name will come up, and someone will say "dude, he died 2 years ago"
Alex Smith --- thought he looked good against the Packers, so let him try to make the team next year
Pierre Thomas --- if Thompson or Morris goes, then keep him
Will Blackmon --- slow as molasses and other teams know it; let him go
Cary Williams --- know very little about him
Mason Foster --- hell yes keep him
Brian De la Puente --- cut him or convert him to puenter
Junior Galette --- hell yes keep him
Josh LeRibeus --- improved enough on the job to be kept as backup unless beat out
Frank Kearse --- invisible man, let him go
Kirk Cousins ---- keep unless he wants outrageous money
Keenan Robinson --- keep, he was injured this year and quite good before that
Alfred Morris ---- keep

RFA

Duke Ihenacho --- yes, keep; they missed him
Tom Compton --- no

Chris Thompson --- re-sign him unless too expensive
Will Compton --- hell yes keep him
Tress Way --- MVP of 2014, keep

And the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that Jackson is more critical to the offense's success in the future than Garcon is. Garcon wasn't open as much this year as in previous years it seemed. He's tough, good in the locker room, works hard, blocks very well. But not worth $10 million or so this year. Offer him a reduced deal or he goes.

Interesting article which talks about the various local politicians (e.g. DC mayor, VA Governor, etc.) and their relationship with Snyder and the Redskins, as we look forward to a new stadium in coming years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2016/01/13/dan-snyder-and-d-c-s-mayor-he-wont-return-phone-calls-she-wont-say-redskins/?hpid=hp_local-news_bowsersnyder_500pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

DC Mayor reiterates that a name change would be necessary for a move back into DC. I think building a stadium on the site of RFK is the best option for everyone involved but don't hold your breath because Snyder IMO will never change the name...

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article which talks about the various local politicians (e.g. DC mayor, VA Governor, etc.) and their relationship with Snyder and the Redskins, as we look forward to a new stadium in coming years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2016/01/13/dan-snyder-and-d-c-s-mayor-he-wont-return-phone-calls-she-wont-say-redskins/?hpid=hp_local-news_bowsersnyder_500pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

DC Mayor reiterates that a name change would be necessary for a move back into DC. I think building a stadium on the site of RFK is the best option for everyone involved but don't hold your breath because Snyder IMO will never change the name...
Snyder will change the name if he gets a new stadium and is promised a super bowl in it after it opens. He's not dumb enough to pass on hosting a superbowl (which he has desperately wanted since getting ownership of the team). Until he has that guarantee, he'll keep doing the balls-to-the-wall defend-the-name thing he's doing which appeals to the fan base.

Snyder will change the name if he gets a new stadium and is promised a super bowl in it after it opens. He's not dumb enough to pass on hosting a superbowl (which he has desperately wanted since getting ownership of the team). Until he has that guarantee, he'll keep doing the balls-to-the-wall defend-the-name thing he's doing which appeals to the fan base.
YOU CAN FORCE US TO CHANGE OUR NAME, BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDO--Wait, how much can I get for hosting a Super Bowl? Washington Warriors it is!"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/14/former-texans-troublemaker-willie-jefferson-lands-in-washington/

Former Texans troublemaker Willie Jefferson lands in Washington Posted by Michael David Smith on January 14, 2016, 8:45 PM EST
During the 2013 season, outside linebacker Willie Jefferson was among a trio of players cut by the Texans for breaking team rules at a team hotel, reportedly by smoking pot. After that, Jefferson couldn’t find another NFL team willing to give him a shot.

But after two years in the Canadian Football League, Jefferson is back in the NFL, as Washington signed Jefferson to a contract today.

Jefferson played well over the last two years, recording 10 sacks for the Edmonton Eskimos. He’s a talented pass rusher and probably has a better chance of making Washington’s 53-man roster than most players picked up at this time of year.

[SIZE=1em]At least he does if he can stay out of trouble. Jefferson was [/SIZE]arrested for marijuana possession[SIZE=1em] during his time at Baylor after he was [/SIZE]found passed out in the driver’s seat of his car at a Taco Bell drive-through[SIZE=1em]. His Baylor teammate [/SIZE]Josh Gordon[SIZE=1em]was a passenger in his car and was arrested with him. Jefferson was later kicked off the team at Baylor.[/SIZE]
Perhaps two years of exile in the CFL was enough to give Jefferson a wake-up call. If so, Washington may benefit with a talented young pass rusher on the roster.
I root for any kid that passes out in a Taco Bell drive-thru.

Now I'm hungry for a taco salad.
Taco Bell up from my house. I love it. Big box of 10 tacos for $10...how can you beat that?

Half the time I almost pass out in the drive through from an over abundance of joy...

Looking at mock drafts (I know its early) they have us selecting WR Michael Thomas from Ohio State.
Kiper has us taking a corner. I really don't care what position this year BPA all the way. I normally have blend of BPA and need. I think we need close enough to the same amount of health everywhere this year. CB might be at the bottom of the list with Breeland and Culiver though. Free agency will probably make me start having some positional preferences closer to the draft. Anyone have Danny's plane info yet?

Picking at #21 and with all our needs I'll be happy with anything that's not a QB, OT, or OLB. G/C is probably too high in this draft. Of course like most drafts the trading back would be particularly good with our GM and all the talent available in rounds 2-4. Hoping Lynch is there at 21 and Cleveland gives us their 2nd and 3rd.

Sebowski said:
Swing 51 said:
Looking at mock drafts (I know its early) they have us selecting WR Michael Thomas from Ohio State.
Kiper has us taking a corner. I really don't care what position this year BPA all the way. I normally have blend of BPA and need. I think we need close enough to the same amount of health everywhere this year. CB might be at the bottom of the list with Breeland and Culiver though. Free agency will probably make me start having some positional preferences closer to the draft. Anyone have Danny's plane info yet?
Don't know if this is true, but I read that the guarantees in Culliver's contract were voided by his suspension. Due to his ACL, we COULD cut him with no consequences.

Doubt we do it, but if true it adds a twist to the off season.

I was looking at the results of the Subscriber Contest. I actually hit the jackpot on a number of players: Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed, Doug Martin, and Tyler Eifert. But my team could not survive without my top running back, Le'Veon Bell.

If I had survived, I would have finished 152nd. If Bell had stayed healthy and added 45 pts to my 3 week total (scoring in the low 20's each week), I would have finished 60th. Cousins and Reed really helped out my results.

Thinking things over, since the offense had quite a bit of success, I think there is a good chance the Redskins keep both Jackson and Garcon next year. Both are under contract for next year.

Looks like Paulsen is a UFA.

Full list:

UFA

Terrance Knighton --- yes
Colt McCoy --- don't think he'll come back, he wants to coach more than he wants to sit on a bench
Logan Paulsen --- no, bad blocker, slow
Darrel Young --- yes, loved by teammates, mentor for some, can still block and catch when given half a chance
Kedric Golston --- has been with the team forever, good spot backup if they don't find someone better; one year the front office will be talking over who to keep and who to cut and Golston's name will come up, and someone will say "dude, he died 2 years ago"
Alex Smith --- thought he looked good against the Packers, so let him try to make the team next year
Pierre Thomas --- if Thompson or Morris goes, then keep him
Will Blackmon --- slow as molasses and other teams know it; let him go
Cary Williams --- know very little about him
Mason Foster --- hell yes keep him
Brian De la Puente --- cut him or convert him to puenter
Junior Galette --- hell yes keep him
Josh LeRibeus --- improved enough on the job to be kept as backup unless beat out
Frank Kearse --- invisible man, let him go
Kirk Cousins ---- keep unless he wants outrageous money
Keenan Robinson --- keep, he was injured this year and quite good before that
Alfred Morris ---- keep

RFA

Duke Ihenacho --- yes, keep; they missed him
Tom Compton --- no

Chris Thompson --- re-sign him unless too expensive
Will Compton --- hell yes keep him
Tress Way --- MVP of 2014, keep
The most interesting decisions are on Mason Foster and Will Blackmon. The Redskins will try to re-sign both, but they could be lured away for more money or playing time. Blackman is mostly a journeyman, but had decent success here. He got a lot of playing time due to Culliver's injury. But he really is more of a nickel or 4th CB and paid near the NFL minimum. If someone wants to overpay, Blackman could easily go elsewhere.

Mason Foster is younger and has more upside. So his valuation is a little harder to figure out. He slots in as marginal starter for the Redskins, in the mix with Compton, Riley, and Robinson.

McCoy is definitely worth bringing back. Like last year, I am sure he will check out his options before deciding where to sign.

Knighton wasn't great, but you have a big hole if you don't resign him. Maybe they can sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.

The Restricted and Exclusive Rights Free Agents you almost always keep since they are quite inexpensive. So expect Ihenacho, T Compton, Chris Thompson, W Compton, and Way to all be offered contracts.

I believe Jordan Reed is a 2017 FA, so will be interesting to see if they try to lock him down now or not.

Sebowski said:
Swing 51 said:
Don't know if this is true, but I read that the guarantees in Culliver's contract were voided by his suspension. Due to his ACL, we COULD cut him with no consequences.

Doubt we do it, but if true it adds a twist to the off season.
I hope Culliver isn't cut. He was good when he played and if I remember correctly his salary hit isn't so bad. Culliver and Breeland is a good starting pair of corners.

The most interesting decisions are on Mason Foster and Will Blackmon. The Redskins will try to re-sign both, but they could be lured away for more money or playing time. Blackman is mostly a journeyman, but had decent success here. He got a lot of playing time due to Culliver's injury. But he really is more of a nickel or 4th CB and paid near the NFL minimum. If someone wants to overpay, Blackman could easily go elsewhere.

Mason Foster is younger and has more upside. So his valuation is a little harder to figure out. He slots in as marginal starter for the Redskins, in the mix with Compton, Riley, and Robinson.
I think Blackmon filled in well this year in a decimated secondary, but with Culliver and Jarrett back next year there's just no need for him. For most of the Green Bay game I kept thinking "who is that secondary guy, he's incredibly slow" and it was Blackmon.

The radio guys (Cooley, Galdi, Czaban) keep talking about Keenan Robinson as though he's a goner. In 2014 he was one of their best defenders. I don't think he suddenly turned to poop; I think injury had something to do with his play this year before he was out entirely.

I'd hate to see Foster go. He always knew where the play was going it seemed, just like Compton did. To me he's better than Riley.

As a gauge of what other teams think of Jim Haslett as a DC, he was a DC this year for no one. And he just signed with the Bengals, as an LB coach. Man I'm glad he's gone.

Dates

East-West Shrine Game: Jan. 23
Senior Bowl: Jan. 30 (Senior Bowl practices Jan. 26-28)
NFL Scouting Combine: Feb. 23-29
Franchise/Transition tag deadline: March 7 (window opens on Feb. 22)
NFL free agency: March 15 (negotiation window for unrestricted free agents begins March 12)
NFL annual league meeting: March 20-23
NFL offseason workouts: April 18 (April 4 for teams with new head coaches)
NFL Draft: April 28-30

Draft picks

Round 1 (21st overall)
Round 2 (22nd pick, 53rd overall)
Round 3 (21st pick, 84th overall)
Round 4 (22nd pick, 117th overall)
Round 5 (21st pick, 149th overall)
Round 6 (12th pick, 171st overall, from New Orleans)
Round 7 (9th pick, 200th overall, from Tampa Bay)
Round 7 (21st pick, 244th overall)

(The overall pick number doesn’t yet account for compensatory picks. There are 31 picks in the first round because New England forfeits its pick for DeflateGate. Washington traded its sixth-round pick to Tampa Bay for Dashon Goldson. )

McCloughan's first year was a good one.

Good article.

Hampered by depth issues for years, the Redskins overcame season-ending injuries to 16 players, including seven starters, along with other shorter injury absences and finished the regular season with a four-game winning streak. Handicapped by inadequate drafts in the past, Washington this season selected four legitimate long-term contributors in guard Brandon Scherff, outside linebacker Preston Smith, running back Matt Jones and wide receiver Jamison Crowder.
I think Jarrett's pretty good as well.

I think Blackmon filled in well this year in a decimated secondary, but with Culliver and Jarrett back next year there's just no need for him. For most of the Green Bay game I kept thinking "who is that secondary guy, he's incredibly slow" and it was Blackmon.

The radio guys (Cooley, Galdi, Czaban) keep talking about Keenan Robinson as though he's a goner. In 2014 he was one of their best defenders. I don't think he suddenly turned to poop; I think injury had something to do with his play this year before he was out entirely.

I'd hate to see Foster go. He always knew where the play was going it seemed, just like Compton did. To me he's better than Riley.
I disagree on Blackmon, as a 3rd or 4th CB he's fine, just don't want to rely on him as a 1st or 2nd.

I disagree on Blackmon, as a 3rd or 4th CB he's fine, just don't want to rely on him as a 1st or 2nd.
My basic thought on personnel in the salary cap era: the key is to sign players that provide good value relative to their salary/cap space. But you still need to treat players fairly and not be cheap.

So if you sign Blackmon to a veteran minimum (maybe $985k for a 10 year vet, but only count $600k on the salary cap) could be a good value for a backup CB behind Breeland and Culliver. This assumes Jarrett stays as the nickel CB even with an injury. Otherwise, Blackmon would be the 4th CB. If they think Dunbar has surpassed Blackmon, then he could be fighting a draft pick or UDFA to be the 5th CB.

If it requires $2M a year to sign Blackmon, then they should move on to someone else.

Could a a little discussed part of the Redskins emerging success be the hiring of quality position coaches.

Greg Manusky hired as linebackers coach -- a position that was vacant this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/greg-manusky-to-join-washington-as-linebackers-coach/

Colt McCoy on the importance of Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach this year -- a position that was vacant last year:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/13/colt-mccoy-redskins-kirk-cousins-matt-cavanaugh/

It seems that Manusky and Cavangaugh are quality hires on the position coach level...providing expertise in the trenches and freeing up Gruden and Barry for more high level strategic planning. Hopefully this is part of a larger culture change to infuse quality in every nook and cranny of the organization.

I like the Manusky hire. He's got some experience as a former player and DC. Love when we get position coaches that were former HCs or coordinators.

I like the Manusky hire. He's got some experience as a former player and DC. Love when we get position coaches that were former HCs or coordinators.
Yeah, he's a Shottenheimer guy and I think he knows defense pretty well. Liked him as a player as well..

Could a a little discussed part of the Redskins emerging success be the hiring of quality position coaches.

Greg Manusky hired as linebackers coach -- a position that was vacant this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/greg-manusky-to-join-washington-as-linebackers-coach/

Colt McCoy on the importance of Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach this year -- a position that was vacant last year:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/13/colt-mccoy-redskins-kirk-cousins-matt-cavanaugh/

It seems that Manusky and Cavangaugh are quality hires on the position coach level...providing expertise in the trenches and freeing up Gruden and Barry for more high level strategic planning. Hopefully this is part of a larger culture change to infuse quality in every nook and cranny of the organization.
I may be off but I give most of the credit for hiring/structuring like this to McCloughan.

I may be off but I give most of the credit for hiring/structuring like this to McCloughan.
Probably. I've heard reports that "they" told Gruden last offseason to delegate more. Would make sense that hiring more assistants, especially a QB coach, would have been part of that.

Kirk Olivadotti was the LB coach this past year.

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches.html

Manusky's going to be the OLB coach, and Olivadotti's going to be the ILB coach. Since the ILB's improved greatly this year and the OLB's declined that may be a good decision (assuming the personalities and strategies mesh).

Probably. I've heard reports that "they" told Gruden last offseason to delegate more. Would make sense that hiring more assistants, especially a QB coach, would have been part of that.
I heard the same reports, and have always been under the impression that adding the WB and OL coaches was not his decision, while hiring the DC was his decision.

Cavanaugh and Callahan worked out well so I can't argue with the results.

MikeApf said:
It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.

MikeApf said:
It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.
On a related note, how is it that the Browns have such excellent offensive lineman but still suck. They have Joe Thomas as well, and that dude is supposed to be excellent! Redskins fans would have loved to have those two guys over the years...

MikeApf said:

On a related note, how is it that the Browns have such excellent offensive lineman but still suck. They have Joe Thomas as well, and that dude is supposed to be excellent! Redskins fans would have loved to have those two guys over the years...
IIRC, last year the Browns started off strongly. Not only were they in the thick of the AFC North race, but their running game was firing on all cylinders. Then Mack got hurt and it went off a cliff. Not sure what happened this year.

(Of course, I could just give you the four-word answer: Because they're the Browns)

Whoever it is, I definitely think we'll see at least one starting-caliber OL brought in during FA. It would make sense if that person was either C or LG.

Users who are viewing this thread