What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

Whoever it is, I definitely think we'll see at least one starting-caliber OL brought in during FA. It would make sense if that person was either C or LG.
I'd like one brought in and would really like 2 brought in. They don't need skill position players on offense nearly as much as they need a solid line that can run block (which they sucked at) and pass block (which they were good at).

It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.
Lichtenteiger was very good a few years ago but he's really fallen off. The past couple of years in particular.

It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.
Lichtenteiger was very good a few years ago but he's really fallen off. The past couple of years in particular.

Could a a little discussed part of the Redskins emerging success be the hiring of quality position coaches.

Greg Manusky hired as linebackers coach -- a position that was vacant this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/greg-manusky-to-join-washington-as-linebackers-coach/

Colt McCoy on the importance of Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach this year -- a position that was vacant last year:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/13/colt-mccoy-redskins-kirk-cousins-matt-cavanaugh/

It seems that Manusky and Cavangaugh are quality hires on the position coach level...providing expertise in the trenches and freeing up Gruden and Barry for more high level strategic planning. Hopefully this is part of a larger culture change to infuse quality in every nook and cranny of the organization.
When things go well, everyone looks better.

Another position coach, Perry Fewell, should not be overlooked. The secondary had a lot of injuries and they fared pretty well. Imagine if they got healthy and got some real safeties.

Mack is a big upgrade. But McCloughan is definitely a build through the draft GM. He publicly said he was taught to not go after free agents, but he would do it selectively with the Redskins. I doubt he will go after any big name free agents.

dehaven123 said:
I'd just like to say, my back hurts and my entire body is sore. Enough already.
Dude I am right there with you. We got 3 feet, my driveway is too long, and I am too old. ?

I'd just like to say, my back hurts and my entire body is sore. Enough already.
Dude I am right there with you. We got 3 feet, my driveway is too long, and I am too old.
Same here, too old, can't shovel like an MF like I used to. Fortunately an enterprising young person came along when I was heading back inside, asked to borrow my shovel to go shovel people out for $$ and I said "you have come to the right spot." We park on the street so our cars get plowed in, and there was a 5-foot wide area of 3-4 foot deep plowed snow on the road side of my car. And 3 feet on the sidewalk, between the cars, and on the cars. She shoveled for hours, got a friend to help her, and is coming back tomorrow to finish.

Got 34 inches here, biggest snowfall I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice how good the defenses were in today's games? The Skins have a long way to go.
:goodposting: Good defense gives you ALOT of leeway on the otherside of the ball.
Yes but nice to see that we have the guy that built two of the best defenses lately in Seattle and San Fran. Realistically they are a few years away but with McCloughan they can build up properly to be good for long time.

Did anyone else notice how good the defenses were in today's games? The Skins have a long way to go.
Basically, Denver is winning based on defense alone. Manning is a shell of his former self. That defense is amazing.

Carolina's is good too but they have an offense to match it. That may be the difference in the Super Bowl.

Yes, we need to build toward this.

"Defense wins championships"

Mack is a big upgrade. But McCloughan is definitely a build through the draft GM. He publicly said he was taught to not go after free agents, but he would do it selectively with the Redskins. I doubt he will go after any big name free agents.
This is how I'm leaning. Mack hitting the free market will mean a very large asking price. Not sure the new and improved 'Skins front office would tie up so much cap space on a 30 year old C.

Yeah, but it's not like Washington had the chance to hire Wade Phillips last year and went with Joe Barry instead.

:wall: :wall: :wall:
Gruden was on shaky ground after last year. Hiring the DC was his call. He wasn't going to hire someone who could step in and take his job in a pinch, which might have made a midseason firing more appealing to the front office if the team's record and play were bad. Joe Barry was no threat to Gruden's job.

That's why I think it happened the way it did. Having Phillips would have been far better for the team.

On Kirk Cousins: he should get a Kaepernick or Tannehill type of deal. I have not looked out the specifics, but I think he should get around $90 M for 5 years ($18 M per year ave). A little less than half will be guaranteed. So around $42 M guaranteed. If Kirk flops, you can move on after two years. If he does well, you have him for 5. I would prefer to take the cap hits up front and not defer them. Otherwise, it gets harder to move on in years 3 or 4.

I think the biggest need are DL and OL. The one thing the Green Bay and first Dallas game showed is that the OL still has a lot of issues. They played remarkably well given how inexperienced they are and two starters were lost for most of the season. But they were badly exposed in some games. And the run blocking was never that good once we got to week 3.

The DL was beaten by GB's supposedly weak OL. They need a playmaker on the DL.

They need to improve at S and RB (assuming Alf leaves). You can always use upgrades at any position, including CB, WR, ILB, special teams.
Just reading in here because I watched a few Redskin games (for FF) this year and lived in Ashburn for 9 years. $18M per year for Cousins really makes me glad we signed Newton to a $20M per year deal before this season. Seems like a bargain to have him for 5 more years (it starts in 2016) at $20M per year. I liked Cousins this year, but man, that is a lot of money for a guy who might not be as good as his numbers. Could be Foles a few years ago or could be your franchise QB to build around. Such a tough call.

Yeah, but it's not like Washington had the chance to hire Wade Phillips last year and went with Joe Barry instead.

:wall: :wall: :wall:
Gruden was on shaky ground after last year. Hiring the DC was his call. He wasn't going to hire someone who could step in and take his job in a pinch, which might have made a midseason firing more appealing to the front office if the team's record and play were bad. Joe Barry was no threat to Gruden's job.

That's why I think it happened the way it did. Having Phillips would have been far better for the team.
Yeah, could be that. The other thing about Phillips is that he's basically the Brandon Marshall of DCs. He comes in his first year and is a major difference-maker, but then somehow a couple years later teams seem to tire of him and move on. Still, considering the guy was out of the league for a year after he left Houston, I bet there are a lot of teams that are kicking themselves right now for not grabbing him when they could.

The Skins should try and trade D-Jax for Josh Gordon if they can.
That's doubtful. I've been of the mindset that Jackson would be released due to his cap hit escalating this year, however Cousins numbers improved dramatically when a healthy Reed/Jackson were on the field. I'm guessing Garcon will get released, Jackson will be retained and they will draft another WR in the mid/late rounds.

That's doubtful. I've been of the mindset that Jackson would be released due to his cap hit escalating this year, however Cousins numbers improved dramatically when a healthy Reed/Jackson were on the field. I'm guessing Garcon will get released, Jackson will be retained and they will draft another WR in the mid/late rounds.
I think they'll try to bring Garcon back at a discount. Jackson is almost 100% coming back, in my mind.

I think they'll try to bring Garcon back at a discount. Jackson is almost 100% coming back, in my mind.
I bet this is what actually happens, but it would be interesting wouldn't it?

Not much point in doing anything with Jackson and Garcon unless you have another way to spend the money. If they're going to avoid high-priced FAs, as we assume they will, then they may not need to cut either of them. In other words, what's the opportunity cost of keeping these guys? What are they missing out on by keeping them? The main thing I can think of is that maybe their money is needed to pay Cousins and Reed and maybe some others they want to extend?

So Scotch says we r not gonna be players in FA this yr. That's to be expected, but its nice to hear it reinforced by his statement. Also, not a fan of the idea of adding Mack or any pricey add this offseason. Any pricy offseason deals should be reserved for resigning home grown talent.

I just heard Scot McCloughan's interview on ESPN 980. Some of the highlights:

1. It is all about finding football players

2. They need to improve at every position

3. They will get better in the draft. They will get a little better in free agency (subtle, but don't expect much in free agency)

4. Asked if there were any issues keeping both Jackson and Garcon, McCloughan definitively said no. He called Jackson a game changer. Garcon is a pure football player. You don't get rid of football players because they are hard to find. (Expect both to be back without any renegotiated contracts)

5. Upcoming draft is strong in Redskins' area of needed. He would not elaborate

6. On Cousins contract negotiations, McCloughan identifies the talent, Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer work out the nitty gritty.

7. Stated multiple times, it is not about him, it is about the organization and the Redskin organization is great.

8. Mentioned there was talent when he got here last year and specifically mentioned Spencer Long and Morgan Moses as talent that was already here.

9. Gruden is fuily in charge of the coaching and coaching staff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000629162/article/redskins-gm-wants-to-sign-kirk-cousins-long-term

Nothing crazy in there but I love McCloughan's comment about not discussing contracts with the media. For the first time since Snyder has owned the team it feels like they are being run competently.
Do you think Bruce Allen and VinnyC read that and thought "Holy ####. We're allowed to do that!? ####."
:lol: To be fair Allen was as bad as Vinny at selecting talent but at least he's managed the cap and contracts responsibly.

1. It is all about finding football players

2. They need to improve at every position

3. They will get better in the draft. They will get a little better in free agency (subtle, but don't expect much in free agency)

4. Asked if there were any issues keeping both Jackson and Garcon, McCloughan definitively said no. He called Jackson a game changer. Garcon is a pure football player. You don't get rid of football players because they are hard to find. (Expect both to be back without any renegotiated contracts)

5. Upcoming draft is strong in Redskins' area of needed. He would not elaborate

6. On Cousins contract negotiations, McCloughan identifies the talent, Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer work out the nitty gritty.

7. Stated multiple times, it is not about him, it is about the organization and the Redskin organization is great.

8. Mentioned there was talent when he got here last year and specifically mentioned Spencer Long and Morgan Moses as talent that was already here.

9. Gruden is fuily in charge of the coaching and coaching staff.
:wub:

I don't see how you can completely separate the two. McCloughan has to, in some way, communicate how much he likes someone so Bruce and Eric know how to negotiate.

"I like this guy, but there are 10 other guys like him we could get."

"I think this guy could be great. Make sure you get him!"

"We really need this guy back. He's key to what Jay wants to do."

"We're probably going to cut this guy."

I don't see how you can completely separate the two. McCloughan has to, in some way, communicate how much he likes someone so Bruce and Eric know how to negotiate."I like this guy, but there are 10 other guys like him we could get."

I took that to mean that as a nice way to say "Bruce is just the Cap Guy".

I don't see how you can completely separate the two. McCloughan has to, in some way, communicate how much he likes someone so Bruce and Eric know how to negotiate.

"I like this guy, but there are 10 other guys like him we could get."

I don't think the two are separate. Obviously is Cousins demands $25M per year, there are big ramifications throughout the organization. So Allen and Schaffer certainly have guidance from McCloughan.

That was a very fair analysis of his season, and I'm certain the front office knows all of this as well.

The radio guys were arguing whether or not the team should franchise him this afternoon, and I can't see anything wrong with taking that route.

My take:

"We like you enough to pay you the average of the top 10 QBs, but only for one year. We've identified several areas we want you to improve, and if you can make strides in these areas, we'll be more comfortable with a long-term deal."

That was a very fair analysis of his season, and I'm certain the front office knows all of this as well.

The radio guys were arguing whether or not the team should franchise him this afternoon, and I can't see anything wrong with taking that route.

My take:

"We like you enough to pay you the average of the top 10 QBs, but only for one year. We've identified several areas we want you to improve, and if you can make strides in these areas, we'll be more comfortable with a long-term deal."
I did not bother to read the article.

Every signing involves risk. The Redskins have seen time and time again the risks when you sign the big name free agent coming off the best year of his career. Somehow those risks continually are underestimated.

The risks with Cousins make the price to sign him lower. If he has done this for years and is still in his prime, he would command top dollar. And that is still not without risk.

Sign Cousins to a contract extension that is consistent with what similar quarterbacks are making. I have estimated $18M per year, but that is definitely on the low end. The upper end is probably around $20M per year. And some believe it could be higher since the salary cap is projected to increase quite a bit and even more next year.

A final note: I strongly believe is paying as you go, so don't dish out huge signing bonuses to defer the cap hits. If it does not work out after 2 or 3 years, let him go without the huge cap hit. This mean guaranteed salaries and other bonuses in the first two years. And bigger cap hits the first two years. If you are building a team that will contend year after year, there is no need to mortgage the future for extra dollars now. I know this is the anti-Snyder way of handling the salary cap.

One more note on risk: McCloughan has made strong statements about building through the draft, developing players in your system, then keeping them. From a risk perspective, you could easily interpret this to mean it is less risky to sign your own players than to sign someone else's players.

Too often, the Redskins willing let one of their players walk away so they could sign another, high priced player. And it frequently worked out very poorly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Cooley asks Bruce Allen why the Redskins didn’t sign him last season

“What did I do wrong, man?” asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. “All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didn’t I get to play?”

“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said. “Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be. Your talent’s excellent. We’re trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year — and it had nothing to do with you — we didn’t want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, you’re the one who would bend the rules anyway.”

That led Cooley to his next question, about just who is making the personnel decisions at Redskins Park. Cooley asked Allen to explain the dynamic between, and the various responsibilities of, Daniel Snyder, Scot McCloughan, Gruden and himself.

“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

I'm done with Cooley after this. Get over yourself dude.

“What did I do wrong, man?” asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. “All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didn’t I get to play?”

“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said. “Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be. Your talent’s excellent. We’re trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year — and it had nothing to do with you — we didn’t want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, you’re the one who would bend the rules anyway.”

That led Cooley to his next question, about just who is making the personnel decisions at Redskins Park. Cooley asked Allen to explain the dynamic between, and the various responsibilities of, Daniel Snyder, Scot McCloughan, Gruden and himself.

“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

That is actually a pretty meaty answer for Allen. He completely avoided the followup question.

That is actually a pretty meaty answer for Allen. He completely avoided the followup question.
I mean not for nothing, but why does Allen have to explain the decision making process to Cooley?

Chris Cooley asks Bruce Allen why the Redskins didnt sign him last season

What did I do wrong, man? asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didnt I get to play?

One, youre so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didnt want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I cant go without him, Allen said. Actually Chris, youre one of the great Washington Redskins. You cant get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you werent retired at the time. But you will be. Your talents excellent. Were trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year and it had nothing to do with you we didnt want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, youre the one who would bend the rules anyway.

All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing trying to help the Redskins succeed, Allen said. And that is our job. Obviously, Jays the head coach I dont think I need to explain what the head coachs duties are.

I mean not for nothing, but why does Allen have to explain the decision making process to Cooley?
Cooley comes from the era where buddying up to Cerrato and Snyder got them whatever they wanted. It seems that culture has changed and Cooley is having trouble adjusting. Pretty sure that's how he got Andy Pollin's spot to begin with.I liked him as a player and warmed up to him when he started his film breakdowns but he's turned into such a sanctimonious #####.

I hope to God this was radio schtick on Cooley's part...because if not, he's delusional. If he was good enough to play right now, he'd be playing. The Redskins are only one of 32 teams. None of them bit. Basically, that's like me saying Jennifer Lawrence is a b--- for not jumping my bones. :D I mean, come on Jennifer, "ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS JUMP YOUR BONES!"

"“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said.

I wish Allen would have said, "You are doing too good of a job helping us win off the field!"

“Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be."

OK, someone said above that Allen gave a "meaty" answer about grooming young players. But there is also a LOT of fluff in Allen's answers. Here is some more:

"“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

Cooley interjected to ask if Gruden picks players.

“Oh, absolutely he has input,” Allen said. “Anytime we do a personnel decision, of any form, we all get together and we talk about it. Yesterday, Scot and the pro scouts, we were in there and we were watching defensive free agents who are going to come up this year. Every player that we discuss is a group decision on where we’re going to go. Everyone has some input into it. I’m talking about all the pro scouts, all the area scouts, even [for] the pro players, we’ll go back to our college reports and make sure we incorporate some views of the scouts.”

Basically, Allen is saying nothing. "We all want to win. We all have input." Thanks Bruce.

I wouldn't classify that as "nothing", personally. We know from that, that Bruce doesn't just sit in an office and look at numbers with Shaffer, as some people like to think. That Scot works closely with his coaches and scouts (in all departments) and isn't just a lone wolf genius succeeding despite an organization full of morons. He's building a think tank like he was a part of in Seattle and making decisions the same way.

I hope to God this was radio schtick on Cooley's part...because if not, he's delusional. If he was good enough to play right now, he'd be playing. The Redskins are only one of 32 teams. None of them bit. Basically, that's like me saying Jennifer Lawrence is a b--- for not jumping my bones. :D I mean, come on Jennifer, "ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS JUMP YOUR BONES!"

"“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said.

I wish Allen would have said, "You are doing too good of a job helping us win off the field!"

“Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be."

OK, someone said above that Allen gave a "meaty" answer about grooming young players. But there is also a LOT of fluff in Allen's answers. Here is some more:

"“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

Cooley interjected to ask if Gruden picks players.

“Oh, absolutely he has input,” Allen said. “Anytime we do a personnel decision, of any form, we all get together and we talk about it. Yesterday, Scot and the pro scouts, we were in there and we were watching defensive free agents who are going to come up this year. Every player that we discuss is a group decision on where we’re going to go. Everyone has some input into it. I’m talking about all the pro scouts, all the area scouts, even [for] the pro players, we’ll go back to our college reports and make sure we incorporate some views of the scouts.”

Basically, Allen is saying nothing. "We all want to win. We all have input." Thanks Bruce.
For Bruce Allen, one tidbit of meat counts as a really meaty answer. He is the master of fluff.

While watching the playoffs and the Super Bowl, my one conclusion: in order to have a top defense, you need to be able to rush the quarterback. It is the only way to make an MVP look ordinary. It is the only way to make a red hot Carson Palmer look ordinary.

The Redskins could use every draft pick this year on D Line, pass rushers, and O Line. And if the picks pan out, it will look great.

The Redskins could use every draft pick this year on D Line, pass rushers, and O Line. And if the picks pan out, it will look great.
Not sure if you are suggesting they consider this strategy or not, but this is a type of approach that I'm totally against. This strategy would undoubtedly lead to several players being drafted way above their value and would lead towards missing out on better talents.

BPA FOREVER!!!

Not sure if you are suggesting they consider this strategy or not, but this is a type of approach that I'm totally against. This strategy would undoubtedly lead to several players being drafted way above their value and would lead towards missing out on better talents.

BPA FOREVER!!!
BPA is why teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, and Green Bay have been good for many years.

That and having a great QB (Or Defense in the case of the Ravens).

BPA FOREVER!!!
BPA is why teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, and Green Bay have been good for many years.

That and having a great QB (Or Defense in the case of the Ravens).
I believe strongly in BPA. But every team says they do it, including the Redskins for the past two decades. But if you look at the drafts over the past two decades, there have been very few OL and DL drafted, especially in the top rounds of the draft.

The Redskins need to invest heavily in OL, DL, and pass rushers. Not just this year, but every year.

Users who are viewing this thread