What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

The Redskins could use every draft pick this year on D Line, pass rushers, and O Line. And if the picks pan out, it will look great.
Not sure if you are suggesting they consider this strategy or not, but this is a type of approach that I'm totally against. This strategy would undoubtedly lead to several players being drafted way above their value and would lead towards missing out on better talents.

BPA FOREVER!!!
BPA is why teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, and Green Bay have been good for many years.

That and having a great QB (Or Defense in the case of the Ravens).
I believe strongly in BPA. But every team says they do it, including the Redskins for the past two decades. But if you look at the drafts over the past two decades, there have been very few OL and DL drafted, especially in the top rounds of the draft.

The Redskins need to invest heavily in OL, DL, and pass rushers. Not just this year, but every year.
True, and BPA is subjective. So if they evaluate the talent of 2 players, and that talent is roughly equal, take the player at a position you need. Mainly BPA applies where people reach for positions of need over a talented player (possibly like Scherff over Leonard Williams, depends on how they evaluated the players).

It's hard to judge the Redskins recent draft history since they haven't had a first round pick for 2 of the last 3 years. Prior to that they drafted very well in the first round (With the RG3 pick depending on your opinion).

This year they'll probably take an offensive lineman or defensive lineman, and that player will most likely be the BPA (Scot knows what he's doing).

Also, it would be kind of cool if the Redskins got Malik Jackson, assuming he doesn't break the bank. He's a very talented player coming into his prime (Not a moderately talented player past his prime) and could help solidify the interior of our line, assuming we lost most of our D-line to FA.

I looked at the Redskins drafts from 1994 - 2013, which is 20 years of bad football. I left out 2014 and 2015 hoping that things have changed.

The Redskins had 17 1st round picks. They include 4 QBs, 3 OL, 2 DL (one is Kerrigan), 2 LBs, and surprisingly, 4 DBs.

In the 2nd round, they only had 14 picks. They include 3 OL, 1 DL, and 2 LB.

In the 3rd round, they had 15 picks. They include 4 OL, 0 DL, 1 LB.

Of these 48 picks, 22% are on OL, 6.5% on DL (one is Kerrigan), and 11% on LB, many who are not pass rushers. It is difficult to build a good defense with only 3 DL drafted in the rounds 1-3 over the past 20 years.

The other interesting note: 28 of the 46 picks are on offense, only 18 are on defense.

And the obvious: the average team has 20 picks in each round. The Redskins are continually have a bad hand since they have 3/4 the draft picks of an average team.

Best possible scenario for the team, IMO.  They franchise him and get one more year to determine whether or not he's worth a long-term deal.
They would probably be paying him more this year with a tag than if they signed him to a long-term deal.  And if he has another good year, his contract price is just going to go up even more.

They would probably be paying him more this year with a tag than if they signed him to a long-term deal.  And if he has another good year, his contract price is just going to go up even more.
Yes, a short term overpayment as opposed to a salary cap-crippling 3 or 5 years.  Totally worth it.  If he plays next year at 90% of this year, he's then well-worth what his contract would demand next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have no problem franchising him this year. If he plays well, then sign him long-term. If he goes back to the Kirk of old, then you move on and no harm done.

Classic negotiation technique.
The Redskins are highly capable of screwing up a good thing. Letting Cousins walk would simply be another blunder in a long list of blunders over the past couple decades. That being said, they have to know that they need him. The alternatives are heading back to the bottom of the division. You must take the chance and sign him. It's the way the league is. With no QB and no top 5 D, you are nothing in this league.

I don't think they'll let him walk, but if they do I'm 100% confident it will be because someone much smarter than me decided it was the best move for the team and did so with a plan in mind.

5 Digits said:
I don't think they'll let him walk, but if they do I'm 100% confident it will be because someone much smarter than me decided it was the best move for the team and did so with a plan in mind.
They'll use the franchise tag if they need to, so no chance he just walks this year.

My guess is they'll put the tag on him while they continue to negotiate.

I heard no QB has ever played under the franchise tag, so I'm guessing Cousins won't.

This isn't the right forum, but that article bothers me to the core. I just can't trust anyone who depends on a super natural force to make them who they are as a professional. I don't care if he is building my cabinets or throwing passes. If he thinks the entire outcome is all about where god has him in some greater plans and not how stable my cabinets are, or how good he reads a defense, I'm out. Sorry, but I'm ####### out. 

This isn't the right forum, but that article bothers me to the core. I just can't trust anyone who depends on a super natural force to make them who they are as a professional. I don't care if he is building my cabinets or throwing passes. If he thinks the entire outcome is all about where god has him in some greater plans and not how stable my cabinets are, or how good he reads a defense, I'm out. Sorry, but I'm ####### out. 

Personally I'm with you, but a large percentage of the NFL is extremely religious like this. Maybe its a regional thing, the top recruits always coming from the midwest and Texas.

Settle down.

God told Reggie White to sign with Green Bay. That turned out just fine.

They'll use the franchise tag if they need to, so no chance he just walks this year.

My guess is they'll put the tag on him while they continue to negotiate.

I heard no QB has ever played under the franchise tag, so I'm guessing Cousins won't.
I just don't see how the team lets him walk away. But I think McCloughan is a bit apprehensive to give him a long-term deal after what amounted to 10 games of QB1 play. Yes, Cousins is the best option we currently have on the team, but can anyone say for certain he's the future of this team for the next 5+ seasons? I honestly have no idea. We all thought after Griffin's rookie season he was the answer going forward and we all know what happened. Sure, Cousins is a different QB and is more pro style than Griffin, but this season is an outlier compared to his previous 3.

What McCloughan has to figure out is whether last season was an outlier or if it is the start of a new trend for Kirk. I think franchising him for the season and seeing if he can duplicate last year is not a bad idea. We were already prepared to pay Griffin $16M next season, so what's another $4M to Cousins for one season?

MattFancy said:
I just don't see how the team lets him walk away. But I think McCloughan is a bit apprehensive to give him a long-term deal after what amounted to 10 games of QB1 play. Yes, Cousins is the best option we currently have on the team, but can anyone say for certain he's the future of this team for the next 5+ seasons? I honestly have no idea. We all thought after Griffin's rookie season he was the answer going forward and we all know what happened. Sure, Cousins is a different QB and is more pro style than Griffin, but this season is an outlier compared to his previous 3.

What McCloughan has to figure out is whether last season was an outlier or if it is the start of a new trend for Kirk. I think franchising him for the season and seeing if he can duplicate last year is not a bad idea. We were already prepared to pay Griffin $16M next season, so what's another $4M to Cousins for one season?
McCloughan has made the right moves so far so I'd be ok with whatever they do.  If Cousins ends up getting franchised I'd bet they wait to see how the draft shakes out before they fire up contract talks again.  At this point I haven't seen any Mock Drafts that have them taking anything other than a Defensive Player in the first round.

Forgive him, for he knows not whether he likes that.

The pressure to change the name of Dan Snyder's football team grows -- and not just domestically.

Two members of British Parliament wrote a strongly worded letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell earlier this month, urging the league to change Washington's name or, "at the minimum, send a different team to our country to represent the sport, one that does not promote a racial slur."
Looks like the article was written by our old friend from the Wash Post Mike Wise.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14838409/two-members-british-parliament-urge-nfl-change-washington-name

Yeah I didn't feel like searching Google for the other thread, please forgive me.

I'm assuming we will not be playing in the UK this year.

Sebowski said:
:lol:  The Brits have a strong native American tradition. Of course this is a big issue for them. Thanks for nothing, Mike. 

And, yeah. Let's use the other thread for this stuff please. 
:potkettle: :P

Looks like we may have seen the end of Alf in Washington:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/25/jay-gruden-we-drafted-matt-jones-with-intent-of-making-him-featured-back/

This really makes me sad for several reasons:

1.  You talk about building a team with "character guys"...I think you can safely count Morris as one of the best "character guys" around.

2.  Matt Jones has shown flashes of burst, but he has not shown the ability to grind out tough yards inside like Alf, and we also have questions about holding onto the ball.  SImply declaring Jones the "bell cow" makes me nervous.

3.  My hopes and dreams:  a.) no one offers Morris a huge contract and the team retains him for something reasonable, b.) if a doesn't happen, the Redskins hedge their bets by drafting a RB to compliment Jones; it doesn't have to be early, but we can't just go with Jones and Thompson...

4.  I'm not foolish enough to say that Morris is an "elite back" but we just need someone solid that we can count on to get tough yards...

Looks like we may have seen the end of Alf in Washington:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/25/jay-gruden-we-drafted-matt-jones-with-intent-of-making-him-featured-back/

This really makes me sad for several reasons:

1.  You talk about building a team with "character guys"...I think you can safely count Morris as one of the best "character guys" around.

2.  Matt Jones has shown flashes of burst, but he has not shown the ability to grind out tough yards inside like Alf, and we also have questions about holding onto the ball.  SImply declaring Jones the "bell cow" makes me nervous.

3.  My hopes and dreams:  a.) no one offers Morris a huge contract and the team retains him for something reasonable, b.) if a doesn't happen, the Redskins hedge their bets by drafting a RB to compliment Jones; it doesn't have to be early, but we can't just go with Jones and Thompson...

4.  I'm not foolish enough to say that Morris is an "elite back" but we just need someone solid that we can count on to get tough yards...
I really like Alf but Running Backs are just too cheap nowadays.

2.  Matt Jones has shown flashes of burst, but he has not shown the ability to grind out tough yards inside like Alf, and we also have questions about holding onto the ball.

I honestly don't think he did much of that grinding this past season. I thought he looked terribly bad at times. But yes, great guy and would love to see him stay.

Also remember, players like Matt Jones are young. They are supposed to get better after their rookie season.  We want to see improvement for all the players McCloughan drafted last year.

Heard an interview with Andrew Brandt on 106.7 yesterday.  He said the big item Cousins (or his agent) will look at in a contract is the total guaranteed money.  Recent QB contracts have had $50-$60M guaranteed.

He thought Griffin would sign somewhere as a backup and get time to work on his game.  It probably won't be for the NFL minimum, but hear it.  He thought places that have an older QB as the established starter would be good, like Dallas and Arizona.

ESPN reporting Redskins will use tag on Cousins, but still debating whether to use Franchise or Transitional Tag.  Also reporting 2 teams have contacted them about trade for RG3.

I drafted Jones in all 3 of my leagues and I was very unimpressed. He had that one huge game against St. Louis (19-123 6.5 ypc), but he was below mediocre the rest of the season (125-367 2.9 ypc). Throw in the fumbles and I am just not sold on him. Morris has worn down, but he averaged 4.8 and 4.6 ypc his first two seasons. I am not sure I would say that Jones showed much his rookie season. 3.4 ypc and 5 fumbles (4 lost) on 144 carries isn't much to write home about. He looked way better as a receiver than a runner.

I don't think Morris will get much in the way of a contract, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him back with Washington.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania621  8m8 minutes ago
As just reported on @1067theFan - per @granthpaulsen the #Redskins are placing the franchise tag on @KirkCousins8 for 2016.

The Washington Redskins are using their non-exclusive franchise tag on QB Kirk Cousins, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Both sides want to continue working on a long-term deal, but sources say Cousins is comfortable playing under the franchise tag, which will pay him $19.95 million this season. The Redskins have until July 15 to complete a long-term deal or Cousins will play under the tag. The sides do not appear close to a deal.

Under the non-exclusive tag, Cousins can sign with another team, but the Redskins would receive two No. 1 draft picks as compensation. So for another team to sign Cousins, it would have to meet his asking price and then surrender two high draft choices, a hefty sum for a player coming off his first full year as a starter. That could be negotiated, but it's still a long-shot scenario.

Not surprisingly, radio shows making way too big a deal about this franchise tag. And 106.7 was talking like they were breaking some big, important news during lunch today and I'm thinking "Didn't we all see this scenario playing out this way a while ago?" I've thought for a while that he'd get the franchise tag and they'll work out a longer deal in the Summer.

As Swing 51 quoted, the draft pick compensation can be negotiated. Most people aren't mentioning that when they talk about the franchise tag. It doesn't have to be two first-round picks. Kind of an important point since it's being mentioned as a reason why no other team will sign Cousins. My guess the Redskins would gladly take less I compensation.

I'm not sure why the article says "So for another team to sign Cousins, it would have to meet his asking price...". Not if his asking price is ridiculous and this process shows him and his agent that they are way off in their evaluation. If Cousins wants $21M/year and the Redskins are offering $15M/year, another team doesn't need to offer Cousins $21M/year to get him. Maybe one team offers him $16M/year and another $17M/year. That might start to prove that their demands are not going to be met by anyone. The Redskins seem comfortable letting him negotiate with other teams. I think they want to find support for the offer they've made through other teams' offers.

I think the tag is the way to go anyways. Why wrap up a lot of money in a long term deal before you see what you really have? The skins won't have that cream puff schedule this season. So lets see if he can actually beat some half decent teams before we sell the farm to keep him.

Saw an interesting thing on Twitter last night. Outside of the local beat guys, who all else is claiming Cousins to be the long-term guy here in the media? I think there's a lot of skepticism surrounding Kirk outside of DC. And Kirk may find that out the hard way here soon the next few months.

My favorite was Czabe the other day. He was talking about a hypothetical where the Redskins were offering around $17M/year and Cousins wanted $22M/year. His argument was that $5M/year is no big deal and they should just give it to him because it's not like you can really improve your team in other areas with that $5M. It was funny on multiple levels. First, yes you can improve your team with $5M. Easily. Second, it's not necessarily a difference of $5M. It's a difference between whatever Cousins wants and whatever you sign another QB to. For example, what if Cousins is unwilling to budge and the Redskins end up with Colt as their starter for $5M. Then the difference is $17M to spend elsewhere on the team. That's huge. Not saying they should do that, just that it's not just a simple "It's just a $5M difference!" argument.

Czabe has really gone downhill, IMO.

My favorite was Czabe the other day. He was talking about a hypothetical where the Redskins were offering around $17M/year and Cousins wanted $22M/year. His argument was that $5M/year is no big deal and they should just give it to him because it's not like you can really improve your team in other areas with that $5M. It was funny on multiple levels. First, yes you can improve your team with $5M. Easily. Second, it's not necessarily a difference of $5M. It's a difference between whatever Cousins wants and whatever you sign another QB to. For example, what if Cousins is unwilling to budge and the Redskins end up with Colt as their starter for $5M. Then the difference is $17M to spend elsewhere on the team. That's huge. Not saying they should do that, just that it's not just a simple "It's just a $5M difference!" argument.

I tried listening to "The Drive" yesterday for a bit. Had to turn it off. It's so unlistenable anymore. DC really has some terrible sports talk

dgreen said:
Not surprisingly, radio shows making way too big a deal about this franchise tag. And 106.7 was talking like they were breaking some big, important news during lunch today and I'm thinking "Didn't we all see this scenario playing out this way a while ago?" I've thought for a while that he'd get the franchise tag and they'll work out a longer deal in the Summer.

As Swing 51 quoted, the draft pick compensation can be negotiated. Most people aren't mentioning that when they talk about the franchise tag. It doesn't have to be two first-round picks. Kind of an important point since it's being mentioned as a reason why no other team will sign Cousins. My guess the Redskins would gladly take less I compensation.

I'm not sure why the article says "So for another team to sign Cousins, it would have to meet his asking price...". Not if his asking price is ridiculous and this process shows him and his agent that they are way off in their evaluation. If Cousins wants $21M/year and the Redskins are offering $15M/year, another team doesn't need to offer Cousins $21M/year to get him. Maybe one team offers him $16M/year and another $17M/year. That might start to prove that their demands are not going to be met by anyone. The Redskins seem comfortable letting him negotiate with other teams. I think they want to find support for the offer they've made through other teams' offers.
If the Redskins make it known they have no intention of letting Cousins go, teams won't with Cousins just so the Redskins can match the offer.  And unless the Redskins agree to trade Cousins for less than 2 first round picks, that is what it takes to sign Cousins when he has the franchise tag on him.

I don't think any other team will negotiate with Cousins.

That's the old Redskin way of doing business.  Fall in love with a player, throw money at him, keep him until he can't play any more.

Saw an interesting thing on Twitter last night. Outside of the local beat guys, who all else is claiming Cousins to be the long-term guy here in the media? I think there's a lot of skepticism surrounding Kirk outside of DC. And Kirk may find that out the hard way here soon the next few months.
I heard on the radio that people who have seen all his games and people who work with Cousins are a lot higher on him than everyone else nationally.

I heard on the radio that people who have seen all his games and people who work with Cousins are a lot higher on him than everyone else nationally.
But I guess that goes back to my point. It seems like all the love for Cousins is centered here locally. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it does seem odd.

If you would have told me after the 2012 season, that just 4 years later we would be cut Griffin and let Morris walk in FA, I would have said you're ####### nuts.

Best of luck to both guys going forward. Just stay out of the East.

Users who are viewing this thread