What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

I just checked, and I have over 40K yards, which, I take it, are the same thing as points. If you know how to get some of mine, I'll do what I need to do on my end to get your kids on the sidelines. Just let me know how, and when.
Thanks!

I'll be in touch as the season approaches.

From PFT, which is quoting an interview by Jason Cole of Bleacher Report:

“Let me overpay him if he’s good,” McCloughan said. “If you have a productive guy, it helps everything, and it proves out. You look around this league and see the teams that are in the playoffs every year and look who the quarterbacks are. Look at the ones who win. It proves out. Don’t get me wrong, the O-line is huge. The running game is huge, which we had in Seattle. But when it’s all said and done and the quarterback can get the guys rallied around him, you have a chance. You’re going to play good defense. That’s easy to fix. You just draft good football players. They can be a small guy, a big guy, as long as they can find the ball. The special teams are going to be good because we’re going to build through the draft, so the younger guys will be big in that. But that quarterback, I’m telling you…”
It is so simple in McLoughan's world.  You just draft good football players.

ESPN:

Washington Redskins running back Silas Redd has been suspended indefinitely without pay, effective immediately, for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the NFL confirmed Tuesday.

Redd already had been suspended without pay for four games last season for violating the same policy, though he was on injured reserve after tearing his ACL and MCL during training camp and wasn't guaranteed to make the roster before the injury.

He was not a big factor in Washington's plans for this season before the latest news.

Washington has two experienced backs on the roster in Matt Jones and Chris Thompson and might draft a running back as well. They also remain interested in free agent Pierre Thomas, who spent the final month of the season with them.

It's a bad turn of events for Redd, who was once a ballyhooed runner at Penn State, where he rushed for 1,188 yards as a sophomore. But in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky controversy and head coach Joe Paterno's ouster, Redd transferred to Southern California.

He made the Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2014. He rushed for 75 yards and caught eight passes for 107 more as a rookie.

2016 Regular Season schedule will be released tonight at 8pm, while the Caps are dominating the Philthy Flyers.

2016 Regular Season schedule will be released tonight at 8pm, while the Caps are dominating the Philthy Flyers.
Flyers have had their number lately.  Scrappy team fighting to make the playoffs > Team resting on their laurels after clinching

Wow, Philthy, that's clever. Two questions, did you think that up, and are you 7 years old?

Good luck Caps fans on the series tonight. I hope the Flyers take it to at least 6 games.

Flyers have had their number lately.  Scrappy team fighting to make the playoffs > Team resting on their laurels after clinching
Not really.  2-0-2 is the season's record with The Flyers wins coming in OT and a SO.  Flyers have a very good 1st line but don't have nearly the depth of the Caps.

Didn't see this posted yet http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629584-scot-mccloughan-qa-the-philosophy-and-tools-of-a-successful-nfl-gm

I really like McCloughan, hope everything works out and he sticks around for a while. Interesting that he said this 

Yeah, it's a good problem to have if you have a great defense and you have to pay people. But you'll take a quarterback over three defensive players. That's just the way it is. No doubt about it.
Tbh that seems accurate to me, but I thought it was interesting hearing it from him considering his last few rosters were so defensive/run oriented. He's in tune with the reality of the league despite being successful via other methods, which I like a lot. 

What a sweet, sweet home schedule...thank you, NFL! The profit potential is hiii-igh!!! Good for me, and good for the Redskins!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/wsh

Nice that we get the Week 9 Bye - right smack in the middle, IMHO you couldn't ask for better. Week 8 is the London game, so that works in our favor, and 2 straight at home coming out of the Bye...

...and talk about exposure! Opening Week MNF (vs Steelers), MNF vs the defending NFC Champ Panthers, SNF vs Packers, Thanksgiving @ Cowboys. Christmas Eve @ Bears and the London Game. FYI to anyone who has issues with the name...the NFL couldn't. Care. Less.

Wow. Make no mistake - that's what a 1st place schedule looks like...but it could have been tougher: Pittsburgh, Carolina and Green Bay here, only Arizona on the road. That's a net advantage vs our toughest 4 opponents outside the Division. First and last games of the season are home games, that's big too, in our favor to start and finish the Season with potential wins. Tough getting Cowboys in Week 2 on six days rest, but it's the second leg of back-to-back home tilts, so there's that...@ Cowboys on Thanksgiving on 4 days rest after SNF vs Packers is going to be tough (and I don't think I've ever seen that happen before), but coming out of that, @ Cardinals is off 11 days rest, so we'll hope that evens things out. MNF vs Panthers on 8 days rest after only traveling to Philly the week prior, then off to Chicago on 6 days rest...that's 3 in a row, and 4 out of 5 on the road, but given how it's set up, it's somewhat mitigated...but they'd better be in good shape going into that final 6-game stretch to have playoff ambitions. Gotta say if they win a ticket to the dance, they'll have earned it.

They also basically get a game at a neutral location, playing the Bengals in London.  That's way better than playing them in Cincy.

Didn't see this posted yet http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629584-scot-mccloughan-qa-the-philosophy-and-tools-of-a-successful-nfl-gm

I really like McCloughan, hope everything works out and he sticks around for a while. Interesting that he said this 

Tbh that seems accurate to me, but I thought it was interesting hearing it from him considering his last few rosters were so defensive/run oriented. He's in tune with the reality of the league despite being successful via other methods, which I like a lot. 
That is a really good article.  It is the one I referenced a few days ago in the PFT article.  I am a little surprised he could mention so many other players who are still on the roster of other teams.

At the end of the article:

SM:You wait and see who we take at 21 in the draft this year. He's a red.

B/R: You already know who it's going to be.

SM: (smiling) Yeah, I think. Hopefully he's not gone. But I'm adding the same kind of guy. Toughness, smarts, competitiveness, team. The whole thing
McCloughan has already identified the player and has him rated a lot higher than everyone else.

McCloughan has already identified the player and has him rated a lot higher than everyone else.
Hmmm, my guess would be maybe Vernon Butler?  Trying to think of a guy who plays in the trenches and wouldn't be expected to be gone already.

What about the center out of Alabama?

Ryan Kelly.  That's the way I think they are leaning right now.

Also I wouldn't mind them taking a look at Norman either now that he's a FA, although he may want too much money.
Right now he's projected to the Colts, so I'm not sure why he'd expect him to be there.

And, Scot really doesn't go for big name FAs, he likes to build through the draft.

Right now he's projected to the Colts, so I'm not sure why he'd expect him to be there.

And, Scot really doesn't go for big name FAs, he likes to build through the draft.
No he likes value in FA.  A lot of the teams that had a glut of free space have spent it.  I think just the Jags are left, if Norman is looking for a good deal for a year and then hit FA again next year The Redskins could be players. 

No he likes value in FA.  A lot of the teams that had a glut of free space have spent it.  I think just the Jags are left, if Norman is looking for a good deal for a year and then hit FA again next year The Redskins could be players. 
He's a Packers disciple, right? They bought Reggie White. It can work. 

Panthers Thread is a pretty interesting place right now. Very worth checking out. Sure, you have hyperbole on both sides, but there's plenty of in between...and plenty of links.

Apparently the Carolina GM/Coaching Staff likes to build a defense from front to back, and places heavy emphasis on the Front 7, and there's a strong argument that can be made that without that strong Front 7, Josh Norman is a very ordinary player. If that's indeed the case, I'm not in favor of paying him 14-15M, based solely on my opinion that we don't have nearly a strong enough Front 7 to give him the support he needs.

In other news: We have a full complement of Draft Picks!!! I'm still not used to that....

Panthers Thread is a pretty interesting place right now. Very worth checking out. Sure, you have hyperbole on both sides, but there's plenty of in between...and plenty of links.

Apparently the Carolina GM/Coaching Staff likes to build a defense from front to back, and places heavy emphasis on the Front 7, and there's a strong argument that can be made that without that strong Front 7, Josh Norman is a very ordinary player. If that's indeed the case, I'm not in favor of paying him 14-15M, based solely on my opinion that we don't have nearly a strong enough Front 7 to give him the support he needs.

In other news: We have a full complement of Draft Picks!!! I'm still not used to that....
Not as good as Carolina's, I agree - but we are getting Junior back to have on one side with Kerrigan on the other.  We're also likely drafting a NT in the first two rounds.  Amazing defense, no, but better none the less.

...and now rumors are swirling that this might be a 5-year deal, instead of just bringing him in for a prove it, 1-and-done.

Maybe I'm like an abused child that's been hit one too many times, and now flinches whenever someone makes a quick movement, but boy, does the sound of that remind me of plenty of bad decisions in the not-so-distant past. Next thing you know, TMZ will be reporting Danny, Scotch and Bruce were spotted at the gym...wearing their squash gear...

...and now rumors are swirling that this might be a 5-year deal, instead of just bringing him in for a prove it, 1-and-done.

Maybe I'm like an abused child that's been hit one too many times, and now flinches whenever someone makes a quick movement, but boy, does the sound of that remind me of plenty of bad decisions in the not-so-distant past. Next thing you know, TMZ will be reporting Danny, Scotch and Bruce were spotted at the gym...wearing their squash gear...
I hope they make it happen. For all Bruce's faults, he seems to have structured contracts that are more team friendly.

Norman is a solid guy, but the Panthers are a front first. You can look at our DBs that have come through there over the years and we have always had a pretty solid pass D. The LBers are really good in coverage. Kuechly and Davis are among leaders in INTs among all positions and Shaq negated Fitz in the playoffs after he torched GB. Norman is the best CB we've had and it sucks to lose him but he's not as important to us as resigning Short, Lotulelei and Ealy. We can't afford the long term deal Norman wants. He's going to be 29 this season (he was 25 as a rookie), so he wants his big deal now.

Bottom line, anyone who says he isn't that good is crazy. He was but the Panthers want to be contenders for Newton's career like NE not just this year.

Well, looks like I was wrong.  San Fran and Washington are current frontrunners for Norman.  I didn't think that a 29 year old CB at 15-million per year was "good value" but it appears our FO might think differently.  We'll see how things shake out.

Maybe they sign him for less, 12 mil per year, but make it fully guaranteed?

Bruce Allen has done a very good job of keeping the insane spending of the past under control and they've done well with picking up players that have been dropped late (Gallette/Jackson).  As long as it's a reasonable contract I'm a big fan, in a division with Bryant and Beckham Jr. he'd really help out.

I don't think anyone expected him to be happy with a prove-it deal.

Keep in mind that even if he is signed to the $14m+ he wants on a 5 year deal it could be structured as a keep-it deal where he has to continue to play at an all-pro level to continue to be paid like an all-pro. That makes the most sense for both sides given his age. 

I also don't think it's realistic for any team to guarantee a CB that much $ into his mid 30's.

Well, time to put 'In Scott We Trust' to the test...

unfortunately, the skeptic in me says that this doesn't feel like a McCloughan move. I fear Dirty Dan is at it again. Going into the weekend, we'll surely know who was behind this, if Scotch winds up with a DUI anytime in the next 72 hours...

Damn, good for him, but he's going to be 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 during the 5 years of the deal. He's a great CB, but I'd be worried about that.
No one sees the end of a 5 year deal.

it's a 3 year deal for 51 mill, and we haven't seen the guarantees yet.  Might not be 51 mill in true guarantees.  

Why does everyone keep saying he's 29? He's 28 until mid December. 
He turns 29 during the season. Revis turns 31 in July, I think most people consider him 31 for the season and Norman isn't 3 years younger, he's just over 2 years younger. I guess I just use the baseball age thing where if you turn X during the season that is your "sport" age.

Last edited by a moderator:
He turns 29 during the season. Revis turns 31 in July, I think most people consider him 31 for the season and Norman isn't 3 years younger, he's closer to 2 years younger. I guess I just use the baseball age thing where if you turn X during the season that is your "sport" age.
Yeah, Revis turns 31 well before the season starts. Norman won't be 29 until the 14th game of the season. Kinda of a big difference, dontcha think?

Users who are viewing this thread