What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious Advise Needed - To Dog Again? (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
I could make this post quite lengthy, but the quick version here is that on 11/15/2015 I lost my beagle jasper. he was around 15. I had been an apartment dweller most of my life, so he was my first dog, after me and my wife got our first house. not just a dog, but my side kick. we logged over 20,000 walks and he became part of my being. part of my routine. part of me. I am realistic in knowing that a dog's life is time stamped, but I thought I had a bit more time with my guy. his last year was rough on us. he had arthritis start to creep in, so he couldn't climb the stairs upstairs to sleep in our bedroom, which was his spot. this was about 12/2014.

I spent many nights up with him downstairs till he fell asleep, or I fell asleep or till the AMs of the morning. in February he had a vestibular episode, which we thought was a stroke and chronic bronchitis which required daily meds, including prednisone. during all the tests, they discovered a 3cm spot on his bladder, likely cancer. no matter, he was still the same dog, my dog. same routine, just slower and more befitting his age. he still wanted his 4 walks a day. he had another vestibular episode or 2, which we could manage and I began changing his diet to get some weight off, while bringing him to the vet for some therapy for his hind legs.

he'd get a laser and adequan shots and he seemed to be getting his legs under him a bit. my plan was to get his weight down, rehab his arthritis a bit and then peak harder into that bladder issue. sadly, I ran out of time. in October he was hospitalized for pancreatitis and I could never get his appetite started again. the saying for dogs and people I guess is that food is for the living. it's hard to get into what our routine was after he got out and came home, but I tried everything to jump start his appetite. home cooked meals, different foods, daily trips to the vet for fluids and some force feeding. anything to give my guy a shot..........he would nip a little at food, but just slept mostly. we let him go at home at 1p on a sunday, kind of kick off time. that's all I can really say about that.

since that day, I can only describe most of my days as being. I get up and do and go, but I don't have a zest nor any enthusiasm. my wife understands, she was inconsolable when we lost him and she knows he was a chunk of my life. I figure to get over this at some point, but that last year took almost everything out of me, both physically and emotionally. while I miss my guy like I got gut raped, not having a dog these last 2 months has been somewhat peaceful, but I miss the presence.

this leads to where we are now....our guy was a rescue and we know so many dogs need a good home. especially the older ones. we have talked doing a beagle again and went to an event on Saturday where we saw a bunch for adoption. had a home visit with a funny guy yesterday and my wife is 100% for bringing him in. he is around 8, but seemingly a good fit.

I am truly on the fence and torn. does getting another dog minimize my dog and what he meant to me? will this dog ever be my dog? do I have the fortitude do go thru this again? is it simply better to be dog free, remember what I lost and move onto to a new chapter? I have a myriad of other questions for myself, with no clear answer. we are not young people, but with no kids, decent resources and a dog friendly house, it is something I could do again. am I being selfish if I choose not to adopt again? I really don't know my path anymore...............

lastly, while it may seem that this is an overreaction for me losing a pet, I treated him as a family member, no more, no less. he was part of my family and an important part. what I will remember about him the most is that I can't call him a great dog, he was flawed, like all of us. he would nip at me and ask for forgiveness. he wasn't very dog friendly, but humans don't like everyone. he wanted his alone time. was stubborn as a mule. had his illnesses and fought through them.

so, to dog again is the question....................

I could make this post quite lengthy, but the quick version here is that on 11/15/2015 I lost my beagle jasper. he was around 15. I had been an apartment dweller most of my life, so he was my first dog, after me and my wife got our first house. not just a dog, but my side kick. we logged over 20,000 walks and he became part of my being. part of my routine. part of me. I am realistic in knowing that a dog's life is time stamped, but I thought I had a bit more time with my guy. his last year was rough on us. he had arthritis start to creep in, so he couldn't climb the stairs upstairs to sleep in our bedroom, which was his spot. this was about 12/2014.

I spent many nights up with him downstairs till he fell asleep, or I fell asleep or till the AMs of the morning. in February he had a vestibular episode, which we thought was a stroke and chronic bronchitis which required daily meds, including prednisone. during all the tests, they discovered a 3cm spot on his bladder, likely cancer. no matter, he was still the same dog, my dog. same routine, just slower and more befitting his age. he still wanted his 4 walks a day. he had another vestibular episode or 2, which we could manage and I began changing his diet to get some weight off, while bringing him to the vet for some therapy for his hind legs.

he'd get a laser and adequan shots and he seemed to be getting his legs under him a bit. my plan was to get his weight down, rehab his arthritis a bit and then peak harder into that bladder issue. sadly, I ran out of time. in October he was hospitalized for pancreatitis and I could never get his appetite started again. the saying for dogs and people I guess is that food is for the living. it's hard to get into what our routine was after he got out and came home, but I tried everything to jump start his appetite. home cooked meals, different foods, daily trips to the vet for fluids and some force feeding. anything to give my guy a shot..........he would nip a little at food, but just slept mostly. we let him go at home at 1p on a sunday, kind of kick off time. that's all I can really say about that.

since that day, I can only describe most of my days as being. I get up and do and go, but I don't have a zest nor any enthusiasm. my wife understands, she was inconsolable when we lost him and she knows he was a chunk of my life. I figure to get over this at some point, but that last year took almost everything out of me, both physically and emotionally. while I miss my guy like I got gut raped, not having a dog these last 2 months has been somewhat peaceful, but I miss the presence.

this leads to where we are now....our guy was a rescue and we know so many dogs need a good home. especially the older ones. we have talked doing a beagle again and went to an event on Saturday where we saw a bunch for adoption. had a home visit with a funny guy yesterday and my wife is 100% for bringing him in. he is around 8, but seemingly a good fit.

I am truly on the fence and torn. does getting another dog minimize my dog and what he meant to me? will this dog ever be my dog? do I have the fortitude do go thru this again? is it simply better to be dog free, remember what I lost and move onto to a new chapter? I have a myriad of other questions for myself, with no clear answer. we are not young people, but with no kids, decent resources and a dog friendly house, it is something I could do again. am I being selfish if I choose not to adopt again? I really don't know my path anymore...............

lastly, while it may seem that this is an overreaction for me losing a pet, I treated him as a family member, no more, no less. he was part of my family and an important part. what I will remember about him the most is that I can't call him a great dog, he was flawed, like all of us. he would nip at me and ask for forgiveness. he wasn't very dog friendly, but humans don't like everyone. he wanted his alone time. was stubborn as a mule. had his illnesses and fought through them.

so, to dog again is the question....................
I didn't read everything but to the bolded.

If a man's wife dies does him getting remarried minimize his 1st wife?

If a parent loses a child does having a 2nd minimize their 1st child?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about Jasper.

I say absolutely. Especially an 8 year old who needs a good home. With no children you can make an impact for the rest of your life on older dogs who need homes.

Jasper will always be the king but doesn't mean you can build the same bond with a new dog who needs a home.

Do it, absolutely.

Get another dog. Doing so does not at all diminish your love of Jasper.

You seem like a wonderful dog owner, and there are many dogs that need rescuing. You adopting one is nothing but a good thing.

I don't say this to diminish your feelings, because I know first hand it is hard to lose a pet, but I don't know any "animal people" that stop after they lose one, unless their life situation changes so they can't have another pet. The dog people I know have gotten new dogs, the cat people I know got new cats. They aren't replacements, but new companions.

Sorry about Jasper.

We lost our dog around 7 years ago and have not gotten another one yet. But not because of the reasons you mentioned. We just aren't home enough to be fair to a dog. Our Lucy spent too much time alone and I didn't want to do that to another dog. In your situation, I think you should get another one. You clearly have love to give a dog and would give one a good life. Nothing will diminish what you had with Jasper and it will help you come around again. GL

Get another dog. You won't be replacing memories with your old friend, but creating new memories with your new buddy.

I guess the biggest tragedy is a parent outliving their pet.........

surprised all answers are 1 sided, when I really think I was looking for the other one.

Is a puppy or just younger beagle an option?

Not that I don't want to see the 8 year old beagle get adopted, but the way you get attached to your dog, I worry that it might not be long until he has medical issues and it's difficult for you to deal with.

Good luck either way.

The ratio of dog owners to dogs needing owners is already too large.

Seems a shame to make it larger by not owning one.

Adopting an older one seems right too. They've likely lost something as well.

The world's best dog ever was Cleo. Cleo was a springer spaniel, water spaniel mix. Cleo was born the spring after my late winter birth. Cleo hunted with me, fished with me, partied with me, commiserated with me. She lived to 23. I put her down.

I have had very wonderful relationships with other dogs since. None of them are Cleo. I did not ask them to be.

surprised all answers are 1 sided, when I really think I was looking for the other one.
What's your age? I can see not getting a new dog if I was an empty nester looking for a freer calendar.

Definitely do it. You will have to remember that the new dog is not Jasper but can be a great companion. Also remember that you are honoring Jasper by giving another dog an opportunity to live in a good environment. He ll get two, who's counting anyway! I have volunteered for a rescue for going on 15 years now. You would be amazed at the number of senior dogs (over 5 years old) that are euthanized because of their age. Just heartbreaking.

You were wanting people to tell you not to get another dog?
yeah, I think I was. like I said, is it selfish to not want to go thru it again?

we are late 40s, empty nest cause we have no kids.

the house is big and awfully quiet, but is this our time to pick up and leave and downsize and not have the responsibility of pet ownership?

the reason why we are considering an older guy is also the fact that it won't be a 15 year commitment. I think a shorter term might not be the worst thing for us where we are.

My parents are in their 60's and lost their 13 yr old dog last year. They just got a new puppy. I can tell it has helped them. They love having a little critter to take care of and its gives them something to do that gets them out and about meeting people.

If I had written the thread title I don't think most would think I was talking about canines. I knew Chem X had a dog and posted about the passing of the dog so I knew what this was.

Get another dog, they make you happy. There's a dog looking for a terrific owner like you, how could you deprive them of that? And you like to walk so there is a built in commonality.

You can't experience the highs if you never know or feel the lows. You sound like you have a passion for dogs, I know its painful at times but I think the good will outweigh the bad. I don't know that all dogs cause their owner to suffer the way you kind of had to the last year, so that might not repeat itself.

Good luck and it sound like you are enjoying the process or journey.

You were wanting people to tell you not to get another dog?
yeah, I think I was. like I said, is it selfish to not want to go thru it again?

we are late 40s, empty nest cause we have no kids.

the house is big and awfully quiet, but is this our time to pick up and leave and downsize and not have the responsibility of pet ownership?

the reason why we are considering an older guy is also the fact that it won't be a 15 year commitment. I think a shorter term might not be the worst thing for us where we are.
It's not selfish to not get another one. Maybe it's just not time yet. You'll know when it is.

When I lost my last cat Q I wasn't going to get anymore. I was going pwt free. I had put enough down and had my heart broken too many times. I was done. And then in the dead of winter a momma cat shows up on my porch. Looking for food. I start feeding her but refuse to go look for the kittens. Not getting involved I say. Then I am told if I don't take in the kittens they will go to the pound. So I go get the kittens and momma. I bring them but only until I can find a no kill shelter for them. Momma cat dies a couple of weeks after I bring them in. From what I don't know. Kittens are weaned and by that time are running the house. 3 years later and I can't wait to see them when I get home. They mean the world to me.

Get the rescue dog you'll be glad you did.

Where does the dog go during your visits to Italy? Bring him along?
we have him stay at the kennel............

fwiw, my guy loved his dreidel. have some great pictures of him rolling a gimmel out in the yard.

when I see it and I don't see him I think of how many people/strangers 'knew' him and those that actually sent him stuff.

Where does the dog go during your visits to Italy? Bring him along?
we have him stay at the kennel............

fwiw, my guy loved his dreidel. have some great pictures of him rolling a gimmel out in the yard.

when I see it and I don't see him I think of how many people/strangers 'knew' him and those that actually sent him stuff.
RIP Jasper.

I think if you're not ready yet, you will be soon.

My wife tells me I am mistaken. She says the world's best dog was Licorice. My daughter insists its Maggie. Seems our first dogs are the most fondly remembered.

The world's best dog ever was Cleo. Cleo was a springer spaniel, water spaniel mix. Cleo was born the spring after my late winter birth. Cleo hunted with me, fished with me, partied with me, commiserated with me. She lived to 23. I put her down.

I have had very wonderful relationships with other dogs since. None of them are Cleo. I did not ask them to be.
This is what you have to remember. Your next dog will not be Jasper but that is okay. Just don't expect them to be.

I lost mine about two years ago due to cancer and haven't gotten another one. 100% understand what you're going through.

We've tossed back and forth on getting another. The logical side is aware of the huge cost and time effort associated with a dog. We don't have children either, so it's much easier to do things on the fly or plan trips without a pet to worry about as well.

That said, I check petfinder.com everyday just to look. I go and pet and play with the neighbors dogs when they are outside. There's an emptiness there I can't describe. But while the financial implications are an easy out as to why we don't have another dog, it's really because I don't know if I can go through that kind of loss again. Our dog died on our kitchen floor while I was petting him, assuring him that things were going to be alright. The little guy was my responsibility, and he laid there dying with me completely helpless to stop it from happening. When he passed I just knelt there crying, and I'm not normally an emotional guy. I don't know how that kind of emotionally draining experience would impact my interaction with another dog.

We will probably get another one down the line, but right now it's just too raw for me. Your milage may vary.

I lost mine about two years ago due to cancer and haven't gotten another one. 100% understand what you're going through.

We've tossed back and forth on getting another. The logical side is aware of the huge cost and time effort associated with a dog. We don't have children either, so it's much easier to do things on the fly or plan trips without a pet to worry about as well.

That said, I check petfinder.com everyday just to look. I go and pet and play with the neighbors dogs when they are outside. There's an emptiness there I can't describe. But while the financial implications are an easy out as to why we don't have another dog, it's really because I don't know if I can go through that kind of loss again. Our dog died on our kitchen floor while I was petting him, assuring him that things were going to be alright. The little guy was my responsibility, and he laid there dying with me completely helpless to stop it from happening. When he passed I just knelt there crying, and I'm not normally an emotional guy. I don't know how that kind of emotionally draining experience would impact my interaction with another dog.

We will probably get another one down the line, but right now it's just too raw for me. Your milage may vary.
I fully understand this...........

my dog looked to me to protect him and I couldn't stop this illness from taking him. he fought, I looked at him and spoke with him many a long night and he wanted to fight. ultimately, he had nothing left to give. but in his last moments, I still feel like he looked at me and looked at the vet and kind asked me "you're doing what now"? I tried every food, cooked every meal, tried every med, went to the vet everyday 2x a day, just to try to bring him back. when he passed, it was on our terms thankfully, but to say I was crushed is short of fully explaining how utterly devastated I was and am. lots of emotion, but I feel like a complete and utter failure................I just couldn't help or save my friend when he needed it the most.

I lost mine about two years ago due to cancer and haven't gotten another one. 100% understand what you're going through.We've tossed back and forth on getting another. The logical side is aware of the huge cost and time effort associated with a dog. We don't have children either, so it's much easier to do things on the fly or plan trips without a pet to worry about as well.

I fully understand this...........my dog looked to me to protect him and I couldn't stop this illness from taking him. he fought, I looked at him and spoke with him many a long night and he wanted to fight. ultimately, he had nothing left to give. but in his last moments, I still feel like he looked at me and looked at the vet and kind asked me "you're doing what now"? I tried every food, cooked every meal, tried every med, went to the vet everyday 2x a day, just to try to bring him back. when he passed, it was on our terms thankfully, but to say I was crushed is short of fully explaining how utterly devastated I was and am. lots of emotion, but I feel like a complete and utter failure................I just couldn't help or save my friend when he needed it the most.
You're not omnipotent. Death gets us all, its the great equalizer. When I lost Q, the cat I referred to above, she was the last of 4 that I lost over a 2 year period. They all lived to be 12+ years old and I got them all within a year of each other. Vet said cancer got all of them. If I could beat cancer by force of will I would've. But I can't. You can't carry that kind of guilt man. If you did all you could then Jasper couldn't have asked for more. And I'm sure you did.

I obviously wasn't there but I like to think your dog was saying "thanks for doing everything you could, fellas".

You're not god, CX.

Yeah, get another dog. The new dog is not going to replace Jasper and you will still be partial to Jasper and think about how awesome Jasper was etc... but eventually the new dog will find a way into your heart and you will have a unique relationship with him.

while I understand that I am not omnipotent, like many people, death has sadly shaped my path. I do understand the inevitability of death and during my dog's last year I was kind of hoping I was prepared, as I kept reminding my wife that he was closer to the rainbow bridge than chasing a squirrel. I am in the position of having lost both parents, all grandparents, my MIL and having no relatives that I have spoken with in 25+ years. each time you lose something, imo it's a piece of you.

if anyone can have a last straw, i thought losing my MIL 15 years ago was mine. however, I think this may have been worse. simply because my standard answer to anything now is "i don't care". hence not knowing that I can put myself into a situation with an inevitable ending.

Id say adopt another.

We lost our girl last May and I still can't talk about her without feeling emotional. We still have our boy and when he goes I'll be inconsolable.

The new one will become a family member and eventually pass on as well - but that dog exists independent of you. Wouldn't you prefer you get his love and for him to have a wonderful life that you can provide?

Uh, this sounds like it's about a lot more than the dog (but the dog being a big part).

I think you might need to find someone to talk to...maybe?

Uh, this sounds like it's about a lot more than the dog (but the dog being a big part).

don't make it more than it is..........it's just simply do you put yourself back out there again knowing what the inevitable answer will be?

and how's this for a sidebar: i just popped out for a moment and i got behind a car at a trafiic light with the license plate DOGRE$Q (NC Plate).......very bizarre.

don't make it more than it is..........it's just simply do you put yourself back out there again knowing what the inevitable answer will be?
Well, just watch yourself.
if you want, we can move this to the suicide or depression threads........only if they are ***OFFICIAL***

Users who are viewing this thread