What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any one using a Nest thermostat? (1 Viewer)

Rogi

Footballguy
Do you like it?

Is it saving you money?

My electric company is offering a rebate on the Nest or similar products.

I got one for free through my energy company. It has a motion sensor on it. It drops when we are away and kicks back on when we get home. I can control anywhere on my phone. My house isn't insulated worth a #### so I'm not sure if I'll see a huge savings, but I like it a lot.

I bought two for my house and my contractor used the wrong wire. Make sure your wiring can carry 20-40v.

https://nest.com/support/article/Power-Specifications-for-the-Nest-Learning-Thermostat

I'm rewiring hopefully this weekend and will report back.
How old is your house?

I got one for free, but haven't installed it yet. I'm debating on putting new insulation in my attic soon and before doing so. My Windows also likely need relaxed within the next 5 years, so in not sure that it will matter.

I hear you spend more money messing with the thermostat. Best to leave it at one degree all winter. Unless you are gone for a few days at a time

Even with a rebate I'd still be paying $100+ for the Nest. Not sure if it's worth it yet since it looks like some places are providing them for free.

Looking at the ecobee3 for my house, because it allows for multiple temperature sensors throughout the house to base the final temp on. (eg. Put one upstairs, downstairs, coldest and warmest parts of house.)

I had the Nest for a couple years. Was good best part is controlling it from my iPhone.

Got a free ecobee3 from my power company. I think it's a better product. Remote sensors and drops wifi less.

I had the Nest for a couple years. Was good best part is controlling it from my iPhone.

Got a free ecobee3 from my power company. I think it's a better product. Remote sensors and drops wifi less.
How did you get a free one?
Sweet deal. PG&E was running an offer that if you allowed them to install it kept it installed for 2 years and did something like 6 surveys in those two years it's free to have.

using them for a client. not installed yet, so I'm not sure how they'll work- I like the idea and the looks though (especially compared to your typical smoke detector).

and their insurance company (Chubb) won't insure with Nest in place... so we're adding a secondary system.

oh... when I asked our MEP about it, they weren't fans of Nest- IIRC, because it doesn't sync with whole-house systems like Lutron.

Thermostat is in my dining room, which nobody ever goes into. Will this negate the effectiveness of the Nest since it will never detect any motion?

Thermostat is in my dining room, which nobody ever goes into. Will this negate the effectiveness of the Nest since it will never detect any motion?
This is a good reason to go with the ecobee3. You can use multiple remote sensors.

This is a good reason to go with the ecobee3. You can use multiple remote sensors.
Would be nice if it was able to sense (bluetooth?) any phones being in the house... if any phones are there, there will be people there.

I picked up the new version for $200 yesterday on Amazon.  I think it was like $50 off.  I recently got new insulation, so I am hoping the system will be able to shut off more often.  I hope it's compatible with the thermostat I'm replacing, and I don't have to pull a wire.  I could Invision a 20min job taking an entire weekend.

I have a second generation (i think) still in the box. My hvac guy advised against relacing my exisiting thermostat saying what i have is a good one and regulates the speed etc better than the nest. 

Anybody wanna buy it?

I have a second generation (i think) still in the box. My hvac guy advised against relacing my exisiting thermostat saying what i have is a good one and regulates the speed etc better than the nest. 

Anybody wanna buy it?
"Regulates the speed" of what?  

I've had the original Nest since it came out. The only thing that bugs me about it, is that it goes beyond the target temperature.

Say I set the AC for 72*. It will often cool to 71* which makes a big difference in my house. It also does not kick on until the temp hits 73 or even 74.

I want 72* damnit! not 71,73 or 74

i like mine....no idea if it saves money but i can change the temp while laying in bed...

I picked up the new version for $200 yesterday on Amazon.  I think it was like $50 off.  I recently got new insulation, so I am hoping the system will be able to shut off more often.  I hope it's compatible with the thermostat I'm replacing, and I don't have to pull a wire.  I could Invision a 20min job taking an entire weekend.
You didn't want to pop the existing one off the wall and look beofre you spent $200?

I've had the original Nest since it came out. The only thing that bugs me about it, is that it goes beyond the target temperature.

Say I set the AC for 72*. It will often cool to 71* which makes a big difference in my house. It also does not kick on until the temp hits 73 or even 74.

I want 72* damnit! not 71,73 or 74
Take out the 74 and that's how a thermostat works. 

Got one for free... have been using it 6mo or so. Absolutely love it. 

Needed my HVAC guy to run a wire to get it sorted out/installed but was pretty simple (did it free because he's a buddy). Took 20min or so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't want to pop the existing one off the wall and look beofre you spent $200?
:goodposting:

My thermostat didn't have C wire, which informed which thermostat I bought (got the ecobee3).  Unfortunately I didn't realize that our 30 year old furnace was a hornet's nest of unlabeled wires and required me to call in HVAC professional.

Make sure that you check with your energy company to see if there is a rebate for smart thermostat.  I got $125 rebate for mine.

Generally happy with ecobee3, but to be honest, for 98% of the year, I wouldn't know a difference.

Free returns, I figured I'd determine of it works when I start rolling my sleeves up to install the thing.  My ac is only 4-5 years old.  I'll likely just pull a wire if I have to.

proninja said:
I bought an ecobee on Friday along with a couple extra sensors. I have my eye on these down the road. 
Any reason you didn't just go with the sensi one now instead of the ecobee?  I'm just beginning my search and had run across the sensi as well...seems like a good set up.

proninja said:
Any reason you didn't just go with the sensi one now instead of the ecobee?  I'm just beginning my search and had run across the sensi as well...seems like a good set up.
I really like the idea to have sensors in multiple rooms. And I'm strongly considering buying the smart vents, which would allow me down the road to only heat certain rooms at certain times. Like only the bedrooms at night, for example. Keen, the smart vent company, is adding Ecobee support within a couple weeks, and I chatted with one of their people that said the ecobee system is awesome for their vent system. 

Our thermostats are placed appropriately AND I lucked out in that our bedroom is the coldest room and we like it that way.  

Had one downstairs for about a month and just installed a second for upstairs (two zones).  Previously we had an older Honeywell unit with a daily schedule.  Things I like about the Nest:

- Nest will follow our set schedule unless we're not home (can tell by location of our phones),  If we're not home, it will go into ECO mode which will keep them temp lower (higher) and save on heating (cooling) bills.

- I can change the settings when I'm away from home.

- Little things they think of like Airwave to squeeze out a few more dollars in savings.

- Also bought a Nest Protect smoke detector to try it out and if it detects CO, it will tell the Nest thermostat to shut off the heat (issues with heating system / combustion can lead to CO issues).

- It looks cooler than my old Honeywell unit

proninja said:
Looks like it works with Nest, or does it not do differing 'zones.'

I'm looking for something like this. I have a two story house with a finished basement, but it is set up as one zone. Kinda annoying.
It does work with nest right now. Ecobee support to come shortly. But nest doesn't have different room sensors, and as far as I could tell, no plans to bring them out. I already have a nest cam, would have preferred the same ecosystem, but I want the dedicated sensors. I think they'll lower my energy spending down the road. 

Plus my thermostat is in the hall. A room nobody ever spends any time in. Don't really care what the temp is in the hall, I care what it is in living areas. 
Gotcha, I need to look at the vents, I thought they had temp sensors in them. I need to have something that senses the different floors and their temps and adjusts the system accordingly.

proninja said:
Gotcha, I need to look at the vents, I thought they had temp sensors in them. I need to have something that senses the different floors and their temps and adjusts the system accordingly.
They do have temp sensors in them. I asked the guy from Keen about it, here is his response:

The room sensors actually give us the ability to make each room with a vent its own thermostat. We don't have that level of detail with the temp sensors built into the vent.
I think I need to go thru the Home calculator on the Keen site. I will see about how much it costs from then.

Thanks!

proninja said:
I bought an ecobee on Friday along with a couple extra sensors. I have my eye on these down the road. 
That looks interesting, although not sure they would work for most of the vents in my house.

My partner installed one a little over two years ago. We have two units so it's worked great monitoring the temperature on different levels. I never used my programmable thermostat before this, but this is so user friendly. 

Nest arrived and install was fairly easy.  I had to do a small troubleshoot because the air didn't come on during the test.  I ended up having to strip the Y wire down a little more.  I look forward to savings boatloads!

A friend of mine from college was one of their first employees. He left Apple to start his own business but then joined Nest. 

I still can't quite get over how expensive these things are. I got my sister a Honeywell programmable thermostat last year for about $70. Seems to be pretty good. 

just realized that it's not a good idea to leave an Ecobee sensor next to a remote exterior wall. Now I know why I've been sweating in our place the past few days.   

Users who are viewing this thread