What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict - nobody wins (1 Viewer)

Whom did it negatively affect most?

• Bengals fans

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • Steelers fans

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • NFL football fans

Votes: 31 22.6%
  • His own family

Votes: 27 19.7%

• Total voters

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
So, Vontaze helped the Bengals "keep their rep." They weren't going to be pushed around by the Steelers in their own house and by golly, they weren't. Curious as to whom he hurt most with his actions.

Bengals fans - congratulations. You showed you aren't the weak little brother of the AFC North. This is a tough team that isn't taking any guff from anyone, damn it ! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to help the traveling secretary cancel 25 rooms worth of reservations at the Motel 6 in Foxboro.

Steelers fans - what could have been an epic game in Denver now is essentially pissing into the wind. There's no way they're beating the Broncos at Mile High while digging into their 3rd and 4th string at every major skill position.

NFL Fans - At the beginning of the year, the thought of seeing Roethlisberger, Bell, and Antonio rolling into Denver on fire to face the Broncos' vaunted defense and Peyton Manning was a delicious proposition to fans of exciting football. Now, we're either going to have Landry Jones or a Ben Roethlisberger with a separated shoulder chucking it to the likes of Darrius Heyward-Bey and Fitz Toussaint. NFL fans in general are big losers here.

His family - the three game suspension is going to cost his baby mama and daughter about a half million dollars.

Pretty much everyone loses here except for Denver Broncos fans who no longer have to sweat the possibility of losing to the Steelers on their home field again in the divisional round. If I'm the mayor of Denver, I'm sending Vontaze and that other derelict Pac-Man Jones a fruitcake or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said the same thing in the original thread. The only winner in that game was the Broncos.

Both teams only have themselves to blame. Antagonistic, egotistical knuckleheads who couldn't control themselves.

Bad deal for the Steelers and their fans, for sure. Bad deal for NFL fans. Bad deal for truth, justice, and the American way.

I always hated the suspension rules. Some hack takes out a team's best player and what happens, that hack is suspended for a game or games that likely don't even involve the offended team. No justice for the offended team.

At a minimum the hack should be suspended for his next game against the offended team, and if he is not on the roster when that happens then the offended team should have their pick of any player from the offending team sit it out. That incentive would clean up a lot of this stuff, the owners would see to that.

Further, there should be some pay equity vs. talent analysis. If a player making 1 million per game is put out by a guy making $200,000 per game and he is out 2 games then the guy who hurt him should sit out 10 games. This would deter hacks from headhunting stars.

Bad deal for the Steelers and their fans, for sure. Bad deal for NFL fans. Bad deal for truth, justice, and the American way.

I always hated the suspension rules. Some hack takes out a team's best player and what happens, that hack is suspended for a game or games that likely don't even involve the offended team. No justice for the offended team.

At a minimum the hack should be suspended for his next game against the offended team, and if he is not on the roster when that happens then the offended team should have their pick of any player from the offending team sit it out. that incentive would clean up a lot of this stuff, the owners would see to that.

Further, their should be some pay equity vs. talent analysis. If a player making 1 million per game is put out by a guy making $200,000 per game and he is out 2 games then the guy who hurt him should sit out 10 games. This would deter hacks from headhunting stars.
Hmmmm. Food for thought, GB.

#5. Does not affect anyone....I like watching guys like Bufict, Suh, James Harrison play.

#5. Does not affect anyone....I like watching guys like Bufict, Suh, James Harrison play.
Sure, but you're not going to watch Burfict play anymore this year. Or the first three games of next year. You enjoy watching the Landry Jones to Darrius Heyward-Bey high wire act? You didn't want to see these teams both healthy and battling it out next Sunday? It might have been an all-time classic. Now we get.......well..........this.

Evilgrin 72, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:
Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:#5. Does not affect anyone....I like watching guys like Bufict, Suh, James Harrison play.
Sure, but you're not going to watch Burfict play anymore this year. Or the first three games of next year. You enjoy watching the Landry Jones to Darrius Heyward-Bey high wire act? You didn't want to see these teams both healthy and battling it out next Sunday? It might have been an all-time classic. Now we get.......well..........this.
In reality even Tomlin said at game speed it is tough to pull back on a hit in progress. Has the ball been caught and Burfict has to assume it will be the hit would have been square in the chest area. The defender has 1/8 of a second to continue or pull back. It is almost impossible. The problem with replay is that they show it in slow motion or frame by frame. Of course it looks much worse than at regular speed.

Burfict plays balls out and like Suh is a target. When Bell was injured this year that was on a legal hit yet all the Steelers were complaining and that puts a bigger target on the back.

I'll go with whomever he's cheap-shot, then the fans in general. His family will be fine as long as he isn't dumb enough to have blown through whatever money he's accumulated.

On second thought, we'd better throw his family in there as a close third.

Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

In reality even Tomlin said at game speed it is tough to pull back on a hit in progress. Has the ball been caught and Burfict has to assume it will be the hit would have been square in the chest area. The defender has 1/8 of a second to continue or pull back. It is almost impossible. The problem with replay is that they show it in slow motion or frame by frame. Of course it looks much worse than at regular speed.

Burfict plays balls out and like Suh is a target. When Bell was injured this year that was on a legal hit yet all the Steelers were complaining and that puts a bigger target on the back.
Dude had plenty of time to see that the ball sailed by Brown and pull up. He chose not to.

Neofight, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:
Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:
Evilgrin 72, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:Evilgrin 72, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Dude had plenty of time to see that the ball sailed by Brown and pull up. He chose not to.
I do not care if he is suspended or not but you don`t choose in a split second.

Neofight, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yeah, you do. He chose to lower his shoulder for the boom. It's the first thing he used in his defense when he motioned to his pads while addressing the ref. he just thought he'd get away with it because he wasn't using his helmet. Back to the drawing board for Vontaze.

For anyone who didn't vote his family, consider this..

If his suspension is upheld, he will lose 3 game checks of his base salary of 2.85M. At 178K a pop that equals 534K or nearly 20% of his income for 2016. Factoring in risk of injury, boneheadedness, avg career span, that is an even larger chunk of money for him and his family to go without.

If his suspension is upheld, he will lose 3 game checks of his base salary of 2.85M. At 178K a pop that equals 534K or nearly 20% of his income for 2016. Factoring in risk of injury, boneheadedness, avg career span, that is an even larger chunk of money for him and his family to go without.
This is a valid point. One that should be pointed out to Burfict the next time he laces them up, before the head-hunting, ankle-twisting, spearing and other assorted bad decisions begin. Choice is his.

Da Guru, on 12 Jan 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:#5. Does not affect anyone....I like watching guys like Bufict, Suh, James Harrison play.

Both Burfict and Suh play beyond the whistle and with intent to injure. That's WAY different than playing "balls out." they're not targets arbitrarily, they make themselves targets. Their names weren't picked out of a hat.

This is a valid point. One that should be pointed out to Burfict the next time he laces them up, before the head-hunting, ankle-twisting, spearing and other assorted bad decisions begin. Choice is his.
His family will be just fine, he'll still be able to pay bills and put food on the table.

Steelers fans - what could have been an epic game in Denver now is essentially pissing into the wind. There's no way they're beating the Broncos at Mile High while digging into their 3rd and 4th string at every major skill position.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5807640/il_570xN.124387101.jpg
:lmao:

I was just listening to the Simmons podcast and he and Cousin Sal have a running bit where they make up fake "new" TV shows that air on obscure channels or stream on little-known websites. Sal just pitched the new show "Burfict Strangers" where Vontaze just beats the crap out of Bronson Pinchot for 30 straight minutes every week because he can't take his accent. Apparently, it streams only on the video screens located above the pumps at Shell stations. This would be the only thing that could theoretically lead to me being able to even stand the sight of this guy's face.

Actually, making choices in a split second is a pre-requisite for professional atheletes.

Are you saying that Burfict thought Brown had the ball? So he chose to try to "tackle" the ball carrier by taking a cheap shot shoulder-to-helmet? No. If he thought Brown had the ball he would have gone for the tackle, arms out, instinctively. Instead, he saw the ball pass through and made a conscious choice to go for a cheap shot to the helmet, hoping he would get away with it.

I agree .. nobody wins in this with the exception of the denver broncos.

However, I cant get on board with the whole idea of NFL fans getting cheated because we have to sit through the "landry Jones- heyward bay highwire act" or that his actions ruined a chance for NFl fans to watch Pittsburgh roll into Denver for a classic game.. lets be honest, if you take away his actions, the Steelers are sitting at home and the Bengals are advancing to play Denver.

I understand it sucks that you dont have your weapons this weekend and it likely will lead to a game where Pitt does not have a great shot, but in reality, the Steelers should be entering the offseason and the bengals would be moving on if you take all of this stuff away.

Im not A Bengal fan.. I m a Ny Giant fan so ive got no skin in this. but Cinn was a better all around team and if they had Dalton i think every other team would be in trouble

His family will be just fine, he'll still be able to pay bills and put food on the table.
Yep, one would think. Still have to consider that he may not be smart enough to save. But again, choice is his.

Insein, on 12 Jan 2016 - 1:54 PM, said:

Another out of control LB that's a danger to the other team.

Nsfw audio
Taylor would not last 2 years in todays NFL playing like that.
Appreciated Lawrence Taylor when he was ballin, but the dude could have made a few better decisions himself. Because of those decisions you are likely right, he would have had a short career in today's NFL. That change was inevitable with the way the game has grown.

Yep, one would think. Still have to consider that he may not be smart enough to save. But again, choice is his.
$534K is a whole lotta food.. Not that his family would be in squalor, but losing out on that kind of money will be impactful.

However, I cant get on board with the whole idea of NFL fans getting cheated because we have to sit through the "landry Jones- heyward bay highwire act" or that his actions ruined a chance for NFl fans to watch Pittsburgh roll into Denver for a classic game.. lets be honest, if you take away his actions, the Steelers are sitting at home and the Bengals are advancing to play Denver.

I understand it sucks that you dont have your weapons this weekend and it likely will lead to a game where Pitt does not have a great shot, but in reality, the Steelers should be entering the offseason and the bengals would be moving on if you take all of this stuff away.

Im not A Bengal fan.. I m a Ny Giant fan so ive got no skin in this. but Cinn was a better all around team and if they had Dalton i think every other team would be in trouble
I don't know, I seem to remember the game being 15-0 when Roethlisberger got hurt. Maybe if Dalton had played, it might have been different but as it stood, the Steelers were dominating the game. I really don't think the Bengals with McCarron are a better team. They were getting whipped by the Steelers on their home field for the second time in less than a month when Ben got injured.

$534K is a whole lotta food.. Not that his family would be in squalor, but losing out on that kind of money will be impactful.
I believe impactful is what is intended.

No doubt we could argue that the league has not been proactive enough in preventing these actions through penalties and ejections; that's likely true. You could also say that there is some blame to lay at Lewis' feet; he still seems to think Burfict didn't cross a line (at least he did as of Sunday). But that's all secondary to the fact that Burfict continues to try to injure opponents—which could potentially take food off of the tables of those players and their families (or worse), it's worth noting—and he has been adequately warned about his actions. It all boils down to him making better decisions. The league is making an assumption that the suspension and fines will help him make those decisions in an acceptable manner.

That's a gamble that may not hit.

I don't know, I seem to remember the game being 15-0 when Roethlisberger got hurt. Maybe if Dalton had played, it might have been different but as it stood, the Steelers were dominating the game. I really don't think the Bengals with McCarron are a better team. They were getting whipped by the Steelers on their home field for the second time in less than a month when Ben got injured.
That is true.. although when ben got hurt, that was a legitimate sack/play that led to a punt. Bengals scored on their next possession (second good drive in a row -bernard fumble), so by the time Landry got on the field it was 15-7 and the momentum seemed to have changed .. of course a large part of the momentum change was knowing Ben might be out.

All i really meant was if you take away end of the game antics.. the Steelers are likely home this weekend. i think the bengals behavior was pathetic and as i sat there with my 10 yr old son watching the game, we were rooting for Pitt specifically because of how bad it was.

That is true.. although when ben got hurt, that was a legitimate sack/play that led to a punt. Bengals scored on their next possession (second good drive in a row -bernard fumble), so by the time Landry got on the field it was 15-7 and the momentum seemed to have changed .. of course a large part of the momentum change was knowing Ben might be out.

All i really meant was if you take away end of the game antics.. the Steelers are likely home this weekend. i think the bengals behavior was pathetic and as i sat there with my 10 yr old son watching the game, we were rooting for Pitt specifically because of how bad it was.
This is true. Even if I wasn't a Steelers fan, I'd be bummed. I would want to see Ben and Bell and AB out there. The Steelers' offense could have been really exciting to watch this year and between suspensions and injuries, it just wasn't to be. Can you imagine Ben, Martavis, Antonio, and Le'Veon all out there together, doing their thing (not to mention behind 2 All-Pro linemen instead of just 1, but that's besides the point)? We got to see that for all of 17 minutes this year. 17 frigging minutes.

That's not all Vontaze's fault, but it partially is.

What about the Bengals and the Cincy economy? Cincy remaining alive in the playoffs generates money for all parties involved.

I get that people see this the way they do and Burfict was at the center of the entire storm so "okay". But at the same token, a lot of the "case" is being built off of assuming a lot and slowing down frames, etc, etc. For all we truly know, Burfict didn't know the ball was not caught and a slippery guy like Brown can make a split-second shift and win the game right there.

If you replace the name of Burfict (who had made himself into public enemy number one) with any other player who was "just a guy" in on that play, we would see it differently. Even with well-known mercenaries out there, we didn't see this type of reaction when Merriweather concussed Lacy and knocked him out of a game and a half, even thought that's literally like the 10th player he has done that to.

I won't say the punishment is unjustified but I do believe the NFL looked at the effect on ratings and $$ at least once or twice when making this call and that true concern for player safety is just the shroud they operate under because if safety was truly that important, they'd have an independent guy in every game (much like they do the neurologist) who has the autonomy to pull reckless players when they see this stuff building (since the entire coaching staff of some teams seem unwilling to do it).

Someone just sent me this of the Oakland Raiders. 90% of these were not even called penalties let alone suspensions.
I got halfway through this and realized that A) a majority of those plays don't warrant a penalty or suspension in today's game and, B) there's no evidence of a flag not being thrown for those plays that would.

More importantly, since those plays took place, Dave Duerson, Junior Seau and Adrian Robinson have all committed suicide and been found to have suffered from CTE. Meanwhile, the NFL has gone from a multi-million dollar industry to a multi-billion dollar empire. That says all you need to know; this ain't the same NFL.

Someone just sent me this of the Oakland Raiders. 90% of these were not even called penalties let alone suspensions.
That's why I hated the Raiders growing up. There was playing up to the line and then there was crossing the line. every team crosses it now and again but when you make it a habit, it becomes a problem. Then, if you take pride in making it a habit and start blaming the line for being there in the first place, then you've got a rotten culture. That's where the Bengals are headed if they're not careful.

Part of it was the era, and part of it is that players back then weren't roided-out 6'5 278 lb guys that could run 4.48 40s. Players are just too strong and too fast now, you can't have collisions like that over and over again without people getting seriously hurt.

Football needs to change radically soon or it's going to be a dead sport faster than anyone thinks. The NFL is not too big to fail.

NFL Fans - At the beginning of the year, the thought of seeing Roethlisberger, Bell, and Antonio rolling into Denver on fire to face the Broncos' vaunted defense and Peyton Manning was a delicious proposition to fans of exciting football. Now, we're either going to have Landry Jones or a Ben Roethlisberger with a separated shoulder chucking it to the likes of Darrius Heyward-Bey and Fitz Toussaint. NFL fans in general are big losers here.
I have already lost by having to watch this team for a second week in a row. They shouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Burfict should be suspended for a whole season.

Not buying this "the Steelers have no shot against the Broncos" malarkey.

Users who are viewing this thread