What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict - nobody wins (1 Viewer)

Whom did it negatively affect most?

• Bengals fans

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • Steelers fans

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • NFL football fans

Votes: 31 22.6%
  • His own family

Votes: 27 19.7%

• Total voters
How is this thug piece of crap still on a roster. Please cincy, don't ever fire Marvin lewis. They will suck for as long as he is there

Watched the video several times and still don't see an issue with the tackle unless they weren't supposed to be tackling at all.

Watched the video several times and still don't see an issue with the tackle unless they weren't supposed to be tackling at all.
Marvin Lewis could be heard yelling “keep the back off the ground”

Your RB is coming back from ACL surgery and you're going low on him 3 days into camp? 

Cmon.... 

his mother named him Vontaze. LOL.

thats nearly as bad as D'quell 

you have 9 mos to think of a name thats the best you can do??

sheesh...

This guy is a huge turd and I hope he has a horrendous injury on the field at some point but his td celebration did make me laugh yesterday

Facing a 5 game suspension for a hit on Anthony Sherman in preseason. When is enough, enough?

Seriously?  Did you see the "dirty" hit.  It's almost a casual shoulder pad into the guys chest.  If this kind of hit warrants a 5 game suspension - no matter what you think of the player committing it or his history - then it's time to put flag belts on the players and let them play in skirts.

Pretty embarrassing for the NFL to even be considering any action for such nondescript contact.  

I get that Burfict has a history of playing dirty, so he is under intense scrutiny, but does anyone believe that hit warrants a five-game suspension?
If this was his first offense then definitely not but the NFL has made it clear that repeated offenders will get harsher punishment.  In this particular case it is a completely unnecessary hit to a guy not involved in the play of a meaningless game.  If I were a Bengals player, coach or fan I would pissed because he is hurting his own team with yet another suspension.

If this was his first offense then definitely not but the NFL has made it clear that repeated offenders will get harsher punishment.  In this particular case it is a completely unnecessary hit to a guy not involved in the play of a meaningless game.  If I were a Bengals player, coach or fan I would pissed because he is hurting his own team with yet another suspension.
#lockhimup

Clearly helmet-to-helmet, you can see the guy's facemask jerk to the right at the contact from Vontaze's helmet.

Wow.  You and I saw completely different views of the same play.  I guess this is an example of alternate facts.

Good view here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/8/27/16213030/vontaze-burfict-facing-5-game-suspension-for-hit-in-bengals-vs-chiefs-preseason-game

Not sure how anyone concludes that Burfict led with anything but his shoulder and that initial contact was shoulder pad to chest.  That is not a helmet to helmet hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.  You and I saw completely different views of the same play.  I guess this is an example of alternate facts.

Good view here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/8/27/16213030/vontaze-burfict-facing-5-game-suspension-for-hit-in-bengals-vs-chiefs-preseason-game

Not sure how anyone concludes that Burfict led with anything but his shoulder and that initial contact was shoulder pad to chest.  That is not a helmet to helmet hit.

Um that is textbook unnecessary roughness.  As in, the NFL rule textbook.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/#article-7.-players-in-a-defenseless-posture

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him

Maybe after years of hitting people low, targeting them and injuring multiple players you shouldn't be hitting a guy in any way that resembles a helmet to helmet hit when he is 5 million miles out of the play. Embarrassing that someone would defend this guy. Hope he doesn't ever get a hit on Thomas or Sanders like some of the #### I've seen him pull. You'll be singing a different tune real quick.

Maybe after years of hitting people low, targeting them and injuring multiple players you shouldn't be hitting a guy in any way that resembles a helmet to helmet hit when he is 5 million miles out of the play. Embarrassing that someone would defend this guy. Hope he doesn't ever get a hit on Thomas or Sanders like some of the #### I've seen him pull. You'll be singing a different tune real quick.

Why?  Because desire to see more flags for relatively normal and usual plays should be dependent on the color of the uniform?  I'm thankful that some if you guys didn't get to watch the NFL in the 60s and 70s.  You'd be terminally traumatized.

Burfict has absolutely earned his reputation and the suspensions he got earlier.  But this play?  C'mon.  Common sense has to enter into the equation somewhere - unless the goal is to eliminate any and all potentially dangerous play.    If that's the case, just outlaw football.  Maybe they'll start up a Professional Cornhole League.

I'm not sure this game can be played anymore.

Hit them high and you injured them long term possibly to the brain and the player delivering the hit gets fines and suspensions. 

Hit them low and you destroy their knees and maybe their careers. 

Go for the legal zone and they make you look foolish and every game is 42-38. 

I don't know how you retain fans that want a balanced game of offense and defense anymore. 

Good view here:

I like to judge these matters on self interest rather than objectivity.  If his suspension helps my team I approve, if not, I am disinterested.  I approve of this suspension as I do the Zeke Elliot one.

Um that is textbook unnecessary roughness.  As in, the NFL rule textbook.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/#article-7.-players-in-a-defenseless-posture

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him
It was clearly unnecessary.  He saw the pass leave the QB hand.  Then targeted a receiver whom the ball was not intended.  Then launched at him and forcibly hit the head/neck area.  Head/neck may be in question slightly, but

Seems pretty benign TBH, and I hate V. Burfict.
If that was Antonio Brown taking the hit, hypothetically in this situation, would you be happy with the hit? I guess its not hypothetically since it happened to Brown by Burfict just recently.

Thats how I look at hits like these. A few years back when Odell hit Norman, I hated Norman and love OBJ but what OBJ did was nonsense. 

Good view here:

It doesn't have to be.  The so-called "Hines Ward" rule passed back in 2009 makes it illegal for a defender to lead with the forearm or shoulder up around the neck/head area of a player if you hit from the side or back, which is exactly what Burfict did here.  The irony of it is that the rule was passed after Ward laid a similar hit on Keith Rivers of the Bengals and ended his season with a broken jaw.

Something like this needed to happen, they were dooing nothing to stop it. They finally changed the rules this year, im surprised it was only 5 games tbh.

The Merriweathers/Wards/Burficts of the game need to be removed or learned to not play that way.

If that was Antonio Brown taking the hit, hypothetically in this situation, would you be happy with the hit? I guess its not hypothetically since it happened to Brown by Burfict just recently.

Thats how I look at hits like these. A few years back when Odell hit Norman, I hated Norman and love OBJ but what OBJ did was nonsense. 
I usually stay out of threads like this because I don't like reviewing these plays in super slow motion like it's the Zapruder film - I  should have stuck with that because there is no way I'm going to defend Burfict.

So let me just ask a general question - everyone's issue here is that he hit the guy in the head?  If everything else was the same and he CLEARLY hit him in the chest everyone would be OK with it?

I'll hang up and listen.

I usually stay out of threads like this because I don't like reviewing these plays in super slow motion like it's the Zapruder film - I  should have stuck with that because there is no way I'm going to defend Burfict.

So let me just ask a general question - everyone's issue here is that he hit the guy in the head?  If everything else was the same and he CLEARLY hit him in the chest everyone would be OK with it?

I'll hang up and listen.
Fair questions, but I think the two big issues here are the head and who was at fault. 

Sometimes you dont have to settle for the inability to decipher intent. Some players even within the rules make every tackle with the intention to end careers, for many this attribute is celebrated, i personally find it to be completely bush league and it leads to players angle shooting ways to hurt people within the rules.

Burfict is absolutely a scumbag, you will never convince me he isnt trying to end someones career when given the opportunity.

That was cheap, IMO. He saw an opportunity to light someone up and took it regardless of what was actually happening in the play.

Light someone up?  He put a shoulder into the guy, no more, no less.

He sent a message that all good LBs do - you're going to run a crossing route into my turf, I'll be here waiting.  Be aware of that.  There was no "lighting someone up".  

For Pete's sake, guys.  This is the NFL.  Dirty play deserves justice, but what happened there could be flagged multiple times in any given game.  

He sent a message that all good LBs do - you're going to run a crossing route into my turf, I'll be here waiting.  Be aware of that.  There was no "lighting someone up".  

For Pete's sake, guys.  This is the NFL.  Dirty play deserves justice, but what happened there could be flagged multiple times in any given game.  
"He put a shoulder into a guy, no more, no less?"  No, there's more, let me complete it for you.  He put a shoulder into a guy WHO WASN'T LOOKING BECAUSE THE PASS WAS ALREADY THROWN TO A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PART OF THE FIELD.  

Hitting a player who isn't looking and who is no longer involved in the play is dirty, no  more, no less.  If the next play was a pass play where the TE stayed into block, & the TE blindsided a pass rushing Burfict AFTER THE PASS HAD BEEN THROWN, that would also be a dirty play, even if he was trying to send a message like "you're going to rush my QB, I'll be here waiting."

And, if all good LBs send this message, why don't we see Keuchly, Wagner, Mosley, etc doing it?  Because those guys are a hell of a lot better LBs than Burfict.

For Pete's sake guy, open your eyes.

I don't see how someone can watch the replay of that hit and use a term like "lit him up" or "violent hit".  Yes he charged slightly at a WR to interrupt his route, but I will bet even Burfict was shocked at how easily the tiny receiver was upended.  

Smith was looking in that direction to throw and Burfict tried to disrupt the play.  Unfortunately the receiver weighs about 100 lbs less and that helped exaggerate the impact .  If this was Keuchly knocking TY Hilton off his route there would be no suspension.  Just a flag.

"He put a shoulder into a guy, no more, no less?"  No, there's more, let me complete it for you.  He put a shoulder into a guy WHO WASN'T LOOKING BECAUSE THE PASS WAS ALREADY THROWN TO A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PART OF THE FIELD.  

Hitting a player who isn't looking and who is no longer involved in the play is dirty, no  more, no less.  If the next play was a pass play where the TE stayed into block, & the TE blindsided a pass rushing Burfict AFTER THE PASS HAD BEEN THROWN, that would also be a dirty play, even if he was trying to send a message like "you're going to rush my QB, I'll be here waiting."

And, if all good LBs send this message, why don't we see Keuchly, Wagner, Mosley, etc doing it?  Because those guys are a hell of a lot better LBs than Burfict.

For Pete's sake guy, open your eyes.

It happens every game in the NFL.  Make it out to be criminal if you want, but then apply the same standard to every player who does it.  The NFL will run out of LBs fast.

It happens every game in the NFL.  Make it out to be criminal if you want, but then apply the same standard to every player who does it.  The NFL will run out of LBs fast.
If it happens every game, why aren't there dozens of other specific examples you can point out, instead of saying "it happens every game?"  The answer? Because it DOESN'T happen every other game.  

I don't see how someone can watch the replay of that hit and use a term like "lit him up" or "violent hit".  Yes he charged slightly at a WR to interrupt his route, but I will bet even Burfict was shocked at how easily the tiny receiver was upended.  

Smith was looking in that direction to throw and Burfict tried to disrupt the play.  Unfortunately the receiver weighs about 100 lbs less and that helped exaggerate the impact . 
"Tiny receiver?"  Sherman weighs 242, Burfict weighs 250; but don't let facts get in the way of your story, though.

If it happens every game, why aren't there dozens of other specific examples you can point out, instead of saying "it happens every game?"  The answer? Because it DOESN'T happen every other game.  

Hit that NFL uses as a training video for a legal hard hit

How does that compare to what Burfict did?  NFL's description to players while showing them:  “Now take a look at some positive plays,” Anderson says while Bennett’s hit is being shown. “These plays show hard, effective hits can be delivered within the rules. A punter pursuing on a kick play is a defenseless player under the rule. The Chicago player avoids an illegal hit by going shoulder-to-chest, yet delivers a solid blow that takes the punter out of the play. Nice adjustment made here to play within the rules and avoid blowing an opponent up.”

Google the topic. There are all sorts of hits like this capturec on video - because they happen often enough in games.  It happens in virtually every game.  LBs send messages to receivers. It is part of the game.

"Tiny receiver?"  Sherman weighs 242, Burfict weighs 250; but don't let facts get in the way of your story, though.
Yeah I really didn't look before I wrote that.  Dude looks tiny.  Must have a lead #### or something.  Great call on the fact checking  

Regardless, Burficts past is causing the NFL and others to exaggerate their reaction over what is a fairly common practice.  I guess he should have given him a hug instead and made him feel welcome in the middle of the field any time he wants    

Yeah I really didn't look before I wrote that.  Dude looks tiny.  Must have a lead #### or something.  Great call on the fact checking  

Regardless, Burficts past is causing the NFL and others to exaggerate their reaction over what is a fairly common practice.  I guess he should have given him a hug instead and made him feel welcome in the middle of the field any time he wants    
Or he could have not hit him while he wasn't looking and the ball had already been thrown past deeper than both of them.

Or he could have not hit him while he wasn't looking and the ball had already been thrown past deeper than both of them.
Of course he could have not hit him.  He could have also wore a tutu and twirled around the field like a princess.  But he is a man who makes a living hitting people, who is marking his territory.  I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty.  I'm saying it wasn't a vicious attack that deserves a 5 game suspension. 

The guy makes some real bonehead moves.  This was one, but far from his worst.  There is much overreaction over this hit.  

And that ball was just thrown when he hit him.  Not even sure he was still watching the QB at that point. 

Of course he could have not hit him.  He could have also wore a tutu and twirled around the field like a princess.  But he is a man who makes a living hitting people, who is marking his territory.  I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty.  I'm saying it wasn't a vicious attack that deserves a 5 game suspension. 

The guy makes some real bonehead moves.  This was one, but far from his worst.  There is much overreaction over this hit.  

And that ball was just thrown when he hit him.  Not even sure he was still watching the QB at that point. 
The ball was deeper than they were when he hit Sherman.  It was a late, unnecessary, dirty hit.  From a guy who has a history of dirty hits.  Who has seen the punishment for those dirty hits gradually get more significant.  He's lucky to only get 5 games.

Hit that NFL uses as a training video for a legal hard hit

How does that compare to what Burfict did?  NFL's description to players while showing them:  “Now take a look at some positive plays,” Anderson says while Bennett’s hit is being shown. “These plays show hard, effective hits can be delivered within the rules. A punter pursuing on a kick play is a defenseless player under the rule. The Chicago player avoids an illegal hit by going shoulder-to-chest, yet delivers a solid blow that takes the punter out of the play. Nice adjustment made here to play within the rules and avoid blowing an opponent up.”

Google the topic. There are all sorts of hits like this capturec on video - because they happen often enough in games.  It happens in virtually every game.  LBs send messages to receivers. It is part of the game.

It was a fine hit, IF he doesn't do it to what the NFL deems a defenseless player, AFTER the ball was gone, deeper then where the hit was.  

The hitting technique wasn't what made it dirty; the fact that he blindsided a defenseless player, AFTER they were not involved in the play is what made it dirty.  The fact that Burfict has a history of dirty hits is why he got 5 games.

Users who are viewing this thread