What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict - nobody wins (1 Viewer)

Whom did it negatively affect most?

• Bengals fans

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • Steelers fans

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • NFL football fans

Votes: 31 22.6%
  • His own family

Votes: 27 19.7%

• Total voters
On his way to visit the Raiders. They sure will enjoy him giving players concussions during practice... especially AB who may as well be thrown in the looney bin after the last hit he took from Burfict.

Signing 1 year contract with the Raiders
Fade me fam. Arguably my least favorite player in the league, and now he's a Raider. I now sympathize with the Bengal fans.

Edit: Orginally said Steelers, because I'm a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burficts tank is on E. Don’t understand the signing - a headcase, whose best days are behind him, who can’t stay healthy.
This is a great summary and why I thought nobody would pick him up.

Anyone think Burfict will head to AB's house to be welcomed to the team with a bunch of man-hugs?  :lol:  

This is a great summary and why I thought nobody would pick him up.

Anyone think Burfict will head to AB's house to be welcomed to the team with a bunch of man-hugs?  :lol:  
The only way to be friends with AB is to visit each others homes multiple times....  Except he is a busy man and has no time for that.

It's funny that the NFL wants people to think they actually care about player safety and CTE.  The fact that a thug like Burfict is in the league tells us otherwise. 

Ghost Rider said:
It's funny that the NFL wants people to think they actually care about player safety and CTE.  The fact that a thug like Burfict is in the league tells us otherwise. 
Would the NFLPA sue the NFL if a player was banned from the league for "too many penalties".

The narrative on ESPN/Greenie this morning is "Last Snap in NFL" 

I think VB's reaction as he jogged off the field was pretty telling and if intent is ever measured, he sure didn't show much remorse. 

This guy can be a good player without these unnecessary head shots. 

Suspension? How long?

Ghost Rider said:
Don't blame the NFL.  Every time they try disciplining players the NFLPA fights it.  The NFL just says "fine, if you want one of your guys to kill another one of your guys that's up to you, we're just fulfilling our legal obligation to attempt to stop it."

As much as I think Burfict proved me wrong about being shot -- he's been a huge help to the Raiders LB corps and our best middle defender by far this year, both in terms of his play and for directing the D -- there is nothing about this that is excuseable.

There have been plenty of head shots this year that have been as bad or worse in terms of impact/intent this year, hell even this week (Barnett, looking at you).

That said, Doyle was on his knees so there was zero reason a tackle, let alone a helmet-to-helmet one, was really necessary.

As much as this is going to hurt our D, there is no justification for what Burfict did, so would not be surprised to see the league throw the entire book at him, given his history.

Sad as we really could have used him this year, he was having a fantastic season, but he can't control himself and not pull this stupid crud.

Mort reporting he’s facing a year long suspension: https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1178667005278375942?s=21

It’s about time. The mountain of evidence is so large I don’t even know why they’d want him back in the league. 
Yeah, that was just so blatant, it can't be ignored.  Doyle was on his knees and defenseless, all he had to do was tap him on the head.  Instead, he spears him with his helmet.

We all know football is a contact sport, but just shows a total disrespect for your fellow player.  Plenty of opportunity for hard hits in the flow of every game.  Don't need the cheap shots that are intentional attempts to injure somebody.

His running off the field, smiling and taunting the crowd won't help his case either.

As much as I think Burfict proved me wrong about being shot -- he's been a huge help to the Raiders LB corps and our best middle defender by far this year, both in terms of his play and for directing the D -- there is nothing about this that is excuseable.

There have been plenty of head shots this year that have been as bad or worse in terms of impact/intent this year, hell even this week (Barnett, looking at you).

That said, Doyle was on his knees so there was zero reason a tackle, let alone a helmet-to-helmet one, was really necessary.

As much as this is going to hurt our D, there is no justification for what Burfict did, so would not be surprised to see the league throw the entire book at him, given his history.

Sad as we really could have used him this year, he was having a fantastic season, but he can't control himself and not pull this stupid crud.
You’ve seen hits with worse intent than that this year? I’d like to see even one. 

You’ve seen hits with worse intent than that this year? I’d like to see even one. 
He mentioned the Barnett one... and I would agree. This isn’t about how violent the hit was or if it was worse than other hits. This is about repeated behavior and a complete disregard to change attempting to hurt other players on the field. 

Dude is such a clown.  I do a couple of IDP leagues and had gotten to the point I wouldn't waste draft capital because this was inevitable.  He shouldn't get another chance.  He'll do it again.

This suspension is Burfict's lack-of-achievement award.

Downside?  Announcers that say, "They'll kick you out of the league for that type of hit" may now be (kind of) correct vs. sounding like an idiot.

This suspension is Burfict's lack-of-achievement award.

Downside?  Announcers that say, "They'll kick you out of the league for that type of hit" may now be (kind of) correct vs. sounding like an idiot.
I would prefer Joe Buck not write the rules or interpret them out loud, the Refs in the Booth I don't need a word of input from them either. 

The history of his VB's work speaks for itself, he has been a cheap shot artist for a long time and I understand the suspension. 

The irony here is that if Burfict played in the 70's or 80's, he'd be a Hall of Famer and lauded as an NFL legend. Now he's just a dangerous meathead.

The irony here is that if Burfict played in the 70's or 80's, he'd be a Hall of Famer and lauded as an NFL legend. Now he's just a dangerous meathead.
Very true -- go watch videos of guys like **** Lane, Jack Tatum, Jack Lambert, or Conrad Dobler about how they used to physically intimidate the opposition.

But it's a 100% different game now, for better or for worse (I'm arguing for better even with the ridiculous ticky-tack fouls we see that over-favor QBs), so it's not really apt to even compare.

Very true -- go watch videos of guys like **** Lane, Jack Tatum, Jack Lambert, or Conrad Dobler about how they used to physically intimidate the opposition.

But it's a 100% different game now, for better or for worse (I'm arguing for better even with the ridiculous ticky-tack fouls we see that over-favor QBs), so it's not really apt to even compare.
Oh I get it. It just occurred to me how this guy would have been in the same vein as all those "greats". I don't know if those guys would even be able to play today. 

The difference is that helmet technology today provides a lot more protection to the hitter than the hitee, so you didn't often see those headshots back then.  This was inevitable and a result of shock journalism that sensationalizes the big hits and the NFL failing to get in front of it when they did.  Now everyone lusts for them and are getting pissy when they are taken away. 

What's bizarre is that he's definitely good enough of a player to be playing the game cleanly and still helping his team win games. It's not like he's one of those fringe defensive players trying to make a name for himself by attempting big hits. I think this dude just straight top enjoys hurting other players. 

I'm not old enough to give an opinion on this, but I wonder how he would've been viewed if he played in the 90's, would he be celebrated as a gritty/vicious beast or still be considered a cheap shot artist? 

You don’t even have to go back that far. Look at Zach Taylor’s career highlights. It’s a wonder that dude can form sentences.

It may be ironic but the players, fan base and the league all know it’s terrible for everyone involved and shouldn’t be encouraged like it was in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread