Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eephus

Finless Gobbler League: RIP Finless

571 posts in this topic

LINK TO 2016 GOOGLESHEET

Not the first draft of the year anymore but who cares.  It's basically a H2H lowball points league. James Shields was the MVP last year if that helps.  I'll search for last year's scoring rules and repost.  There may some minor tweaks to try to balance pitching/hitting better.  Roster rules same as last year.

We'll start rolling if we hit 10 and can add even numbers up to 14 through the end of round 2. 

$12.95 to play. Winner takes all.

Edited by Eephus

I'm out, not sure if wrigley wants to run his own team or not. I'm too lazy to text him.

Just jack up pointage for hitters?

Need more moves, I'd say double what we had. It's not the job loss, it's the injuries.

Thought about passing this year but I love Eephus too much. Pretty sure I'm in 5 leagues with all you other knobs.

Edited by JZilla

the Sunday at 800 pm deadline for waiver moves, or whatever it was sucked. move that to midnight or Monday morning.

maybe do a weekly limit of transactions. 2 per week? I guess if 3 more more guys go in DL or demoted in the same week that sucks.

Yeah, gotta do something about the timing of the weekly moves. Maybe Midnight Sunday would be a good compromise?

Another vote for Monday morning deadline and tweaking of the hitting points.

I'm pretty indifferent on the debate about the amount of moves as long as we keep it to once a week.

I'm out, not sure if wrigley wants to run his own team or not. I'm too lazy to text him.

Didn't we win it last year?

I'm out too I guess

Didn't we win it last year?

I'm out too I guess

Pretttttty sure we're not going to allow this. You guys regroup and try this again.

Edited by RnR

:blackdot:

One of my favorite threads to follow.

Not like I have anything better to do.

1 person likes this

Maybe we tweak the strikeouts for hitters? Can we do bonus points for an 0-fer somehow?

I've copied the league over in Fantrax and will play around with scoring points and post strawman changes next week.

Fantrax supports a lot of oddball categories but many would bump us into a premium tier which seems very ungobblerish.

1 person likes this

Maybe take another looksee at Yahoo or ESPN? Though fanthrax's unwieldiness is almost fitting

Life imitates art

The Miami Marlins continued to fill out their roster with the signings of Edwin Jackson and Chris Johnson on Wednesday.

Both free agents were signed to one-year deals and will be paid the major league minimum. Jackson and Johnson were both released by their respective clubs with time remaining on their current contracts. Due to this, Miami only needs to pay the minimum portion of the salary while the other clubs pick up the remainder.

Maybe take another looksee at Yahoo or ESPN? Though fanthrax's unwieldiness is almost fitting

Yahoo doesn't support hitter strikeouts which is pretty much mandatory for any negative scoring system.

ESPN handles the same categories as Fantrax.

ESPN's site is 10x better, IMO it is the best

But we should stay at fanthrax because Finless and Jimmy G would want it that way

But we should stay at fanthrax because Finless and Jimmy G would want it that way

The biggest reason to stay with Fantrax is that 2016 leagues are open now.

Are we starting now? That's pretty great schtick.

Are we starting now? That's pretty great schtick.

we started January 29th last year. :shrug:

:thumbup: I'm good with anything for $12

1 person likes this

The biggest reason to stay with Fantrax is that 2016 leagues are open now.

I tried to renew yahoo for newza and saw it wasn't ready yet. :(

I made some tweaks to scoring to try to balance hitter/pitcher point contributions. Applying the revised scoring to 2015 actuals, 56 of the top 100 scorers are hitters.

2015	ChangeHit	AB	0.5	0Hit	PA	0	0.5Hit	BB	-1	Hit	CS	3	Hit	GIDP	4	Hit	HR	-1.5	Hit	PKO	3	Hit	R	-1.25	-1Hit	RBI	-1.25	-1Hit	SB	-1	Hit	SO	1.75	Hit	TB	-1	-0.75			Pit	BB	1	0.75Pit	BK	5	Pit	ER	2	Pit	H	1	0.75Pit	HB	5	Pit	HR	1.5	Pit	IP	-0.75	Pit	K	-1	Pit	L	10	7Pit	W	-7	-5Pit	WP	5	

The pitching changes are relatively minor. Walks and hits are reduced by 0.25 points and the win/loss bonus are also reduced. On the hitting side, I switched from ABs to PAs which was an oversight last year. The points deductions for batter counting stats have been reduced a bit.

IMO the biggest shortcoming with Gobber scoring is still the limited options for batter points scoring results. GIDP, CS and SO are the only categories available. I didn't change any of these because I think it would favor a certain type of player. We're left with a system that favors full time players who have relatively empty batting lines and limited power. Here are last year's top 20.

Desmond, Ian - (N/A)
Castellanos, Nick - DET
Owings, Chris - ARI
Gose, Anthony - DET
Garcia, Avisail - CHW
Zunino, Mike - SEA
Headley, Chase - NYY
Semien, Marcus - OAK
Taylor, Michael A. ® - WAS
LaRoche, Adam - CHW
Russell, Addison ® - CHC
Peterson, Jace - ATL
Bourn, Michael - ATL
Moss, Brandon - STL
Lawrie, Brett - CHW
Segura, Jean - MIL
Mauer, Joe - MIN
Jackson, Austin - (N/A)
Pagan, Angel - SF
Tomas, Yasmany ® - ARI

1 person likes this

Roster rules:

Last year we used 8 hitters (C-1B-2B-3B-SS-OF-OF-OF) and 6 pitchers with no bench slots and only 12 allowed transactions throughout the season.

I think the consensus in the league thread last year was that the lack of bench slots and transaction limits caused more problems than they solved. I still think Gobbler should be a low maintenance league but H2H matchups are a problem when you're dealing with multiple injuries.

I'm proposing keeping the same lineups but adding three bench slots and increasing the number of transactions to 20.

Changing the hitter lineups to C-CI-CI-MI-MI-OF-OF-OF to give more flexibility is also an option.

1 person likes this

Roster rules:

Last year we used 8 hitters (C-1B-2B-3B-SS-OF-OF-OF) and 6 pitchers with no bench slots and only 12 allowed transactions throughout the season.

I think the consensus in the league thread last year was that the lack of bench slots and transaction limits caused more problems than they solved. I still think Gobbler should be a low maintenance league but H2H matchups are a problem when you're dealing with multiple injuries.

I'm proposing keeping the same lineups but adding three bench slots and increasing the number of transactions to 20.

Changing the hitter lineups to C-CI-CI-MI-MI-OF-OF-OF to give more flexibility is also an option.

I like all of it. APPROVED

Don't like the CI and MI

Do like the bench slots and the increase in transactions.

Roster rules:

I think the bolded is the way to go.

Any word on if we can potentially move the transaction window to Monday morning rather than Sunday night?

Any word on if we can potentially move the transaction window to Monday morning rather than Sunday night?

That's an easy one. The only problem is the deadline has to be early Monday because of the Red Sox game on Patriots' Day.

something like 2 am EST is probably fine

I vote in favor of 20 transactions and 3 bench

RETURNING OWNERS IN
TRE
rodg12
RnR
Kraft
Jzilla
moops
Frostillicus
Eephus
ChemX

LOSERS OUT
Wrigyong

PRECINCTS NOT REPORTING
Cheese
Spartans

POSTED IN THE THREAD
NV
Bogart

RETURNING OWNERS IN

TRE

rodg12

RnR

Kraft

Jzilla

moops

Spartans

Frostillicus

Eephus

ChemX

LOSERS OUT

Wrigyong

Cheese

POSTED IN THE THREAD

NV

Bogart

Two spots available if we want to stick with twelve teams. Ten teams is also an option.

pretty sure bogart would win without even trying.

1 person likes this